This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered 5 new smoke detectors for my house. They are the hardwire kind. We are having an electrician come out to install in a couple of days. My others are over 10 years old. They need to be replaced every 10 years. I know it is easy to switch them out yourself, but electricity is something I don't play around with. We decided to hurry up and get it done because Harvey is finishing up down south. Once the rain really stops, all of our contractors will quickly head down south. So we decided to hurry up and get it done.

Welding, welding and a bit more welding. [emoji1] What are you building?
bb4e04e598b1fe72f224e6bd6a981bd2.jpg
1d659731ab9ddd7c0fe2ce9e8e109c40.jpg
75aa8e568ce2b2d235a2a03c366c4da3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

finally got my vest done with the new outer layer,looks quite nice,will add pics shortly,it's so frustrating that work comes in the way of prepping ;)

but thanks to my work,I have been able to add some med supplies to my preps,thanks to my headnurse,who saw me once going through my IFAK at work.
Expired medical supplies are still good for prepping. They may not be my first choice of supplies, but darn sure beat no choice!

the best part was,they still have plenty of days,she thought it was a great idea I carry it with me,some of it only a few months but still,as there
is nothing in my IFAK that will hurt anyone if the date is expired.

I will be filling up my car today with gas. I currently have 3/4 of a tank, but I am going to start filling it everyday after work. Several of the refineries down south have been shut down. This is causing a gas shortage all the way in north Texas. There have been reports of 5 gas stations out of gas. I know it is only 5 out of several thousand here in the area, but it could start a domino effect. Better safe than sorry and keep the tank filled everyday until things are closer to normal.

They said gas prices could spike for a couple of weeks. I have always thought it would be longer than a couple of weeks and more than the .15 cents per gallon that they predict. If we run out of gas, I could see this going on for a while.

The trusses for the cabin and power plant building are supposed to arrive tomorrow. The wife fly's in on Friday and our trailer is scheduled to be at the dealer on Monday, over 300 miles away. So until the cabin is finished we're going to be homeless starting on Monday. My friend suggested that we go live under an over pass, but the nearest one is over a hundred miles away. I guess we'll just stay in the barn until the cabin is finished. I'll get a backhoe up next week to trench a waterline up to the cabin.
Bought a creep feeder for the pigs yestersday. It'll hold 150 pounds of feed. Now I can take off for a few days whenever I want and they can feed themselves.

Last edited:
I finally got around to ordering 4 spare ceramic water filters for my berkey filter. I know I've 'preached' about the importance of safe drinking water in an emergency here a lot. I enjoy watching the naked and afraid show. It is where they take two strangers, a man and a woman, and drop them in the middle of nowhere, butt naked. It amazes me people will volunteer for this kind of abuse! The point is though, lack of drinkable water is the primary reason they fail. They say that you can go three days without it, but after just one day you get weak and disoriented.

I need a good restocking for the two pantries. Been too busy lately and have been using some of the supplies, which is a good thing. I opened a can of ham that is a little over the expiration date and fried it for breakfast this morning. Still tasted awesome and was glad to not have it go to waste. (I say waste, which means my two outside dogs). I hardly ever waste anything here, from the dogs to the compost pile, everything gets used in some way.

so,I think I can call this an addition to my preps,carried two large back-packs of stuff home from the army depot,I'll have them atleast for the duration
of my contract..yup,I'm now signed up and active,next small manouver will be soon.

so,I think I can call this an addition to my preps,carried two large back-packs of stuff home from the army depot,I'll have them atleast for the duration
of my contract..yup,I'm now signed up and active,next small manouver will be soon.
Let's just hope all your future maneuvers are just small training ones. I was really lucky that my service was during peacetime.

I finally made it to the grocery store! I got stocked up on some more canned goods and I got a load of pre made pouches that you just add hot water to. Walmart started selling them here mixed in on the regular food isles. They average 1 1/2 yrs to two yrs on the expiration dates. About half are soups, and some pasta and potatoe side dishes. I got a couple of every type they had and will start trying them out to see if edible (or at least palatable) or not. Either way, the pantry is pretty full again. :). Seeing all the misery in Texas just brings home the reason we all take the time and energy to prep.
With all the work we are getting I can afford to buy things, which is great, But I have no free time anymore and the garden has turned into a wild mess. It looks like I'm growing hay. Even in the greenhouse, which should have been replanted for fall by now, but hasn't, I have fallen so far behind I may never get back in there. I've barely managed to keep the asparagus watered enough to keep it alive in there. Oh well, feast or famine as they say. Still am smart enough to be greatful for things even as they are.

I got a car trunk organizer. My trunk was looking rather unruly. It has made a big difference. I wish I would have gotten it sooner. I also got some magnet flares for my car. I have been wanting the flares for a bit.

Last edited:
Finished going through years of prepps I have collected . Checked for storage or rodent damage , all were good sorted ammo . Culled some out of date food items . Cats and dogs liked that . All were good but culled the ones with oldest dates . I have tons of Military surplus I sorted and put some of it in totes . Mostly just checking condition .

Have been doing crazy hours at work. Just wanted normalcy so made chicken enchiladas and a coffee cake. Not much of a prep but it sure did my soul some good!
Normal is good. Sometimes it takes a major disaster to remind us how good normal can be.

I made it to my favorite gun store today. I got the lower for my 22lr upper I got a little while back. I was swapping it with my 5.56, but am glad to have it on its own now. The 22 is great as it's actually cheap enough that you can target practice with it! The scope I had gotten for it didn't fit on it, so still have to work on that, but almost have it set up now. I didn't realize there were so many different sizes of scope mounts. The more I learn about firearms, the more I realize I don't know. Anyways, the goal here is to have a 22cal AR rifle that I can play with. Almost there!

I made it to my favorite gun store today. I got the lower for my 22lr upper I got a little while back. I was swapping it with my 5.56, but am glad to have it on its own now. The 22 is great as it's actually cheap enough that you can target practice with it! The scope I had gotten for it didn't fit on it, so still have to work on that, but almost have it set up now. I didn't realize there were so many different sizes of scope mounts. The more I learn about firearms, the more I realize I don't know. Anyways, the goal here is to have a 22cal AR rifle that I can play with. Almost there!

I would go with a 1" tube scope maybe a 3 to 9 power medium 1" rings on the 22 upper . My AR has the A2 type post front site in frot of the scope but the scope blurrs it out . If you have a flat top thats not a issue anyway .

I would go with a 1" tube scope maybe a 3 to 9 power medium 1" rings on the 22 upper . My AR has the A2 type post front site in frot of the scope but the scope blurrs it out . If you have a flat top thats not a issue anyway .
I have the front sight on the 5.56, but it magically disappears with the scope. The 22 doesn't have the front sight, but the rail to attach to is too wide for the rings on the scope I got. I got some wider rings but they aren't deep enough to clip on. The problem is I was buying the crap from Walmart. The gun shop had a scope for, another 100 bucks, that fits it. I have a good scope on the 5.56 but when swapping it you need to re sight it each time. Oh well, I'm slowly getting set up. Kind of sucks, since starting this project I saw a S&W complete AR 22lr with peephole sights for less than 400.00 brand new. I will have 700 in this one, and even though it's a little better quality, the S&W is a good gun, especially for just playing with. You live and learn in life.

I'm taking tomorrow off! Now the real question is do I try to catch up on all the chores around here or just say screw it and do something fun.... will probably be a mixture of both hopefully.

Back