This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mountain House makes some decent dehydrated meals. Granted, I think they were about $5 at Walmart, but really, enough for two people, so figured that way, it isn't too, too bad, for price on survival food. If you do something like this, be sure to actually TRY each flavor before buying multiples.

Personally, I like these more when size and weight are an issue (like in your bug out bag, or get home bag). I'm more partial to the beef stew one myself.
Good advice on the trying it thing before investing a lot. I recently discovered knorr sides at Walmart. I tried one pasta dish and it was really good, so I bought a couple of each flavor they had the next trip. The next one I tried went to the dogs after two bites....
another thing brought up was the compact and light portability of freeze dried meals. Canned goods are great at home or bol, but suck to carry.

Mountain House makes some decent dehydrated meals. Granted, I think they were about $5 at Walmart, but really, enough for two people, so figured that way, it isn't too, too bad, for price on survival food. If you do something like this, be sure to actually TRY each flavor before buying multiples.

Personally, I like these more when size and weight are an issue (like in your bug out bag, or get home bag). I'm more partial to the beef stew one myself.

I have quite a bit of mountain house on hand for backcountry trips I got a few flavors I can eat but after about 4-5 days it starts to make me feel like crap.

Just got back in from checking on the goats and it snowing for the second time this year! This far south, we hardly ever see snow. . . We've been having close to record low for our area. Its been so cold for so long now that my poor gardenn is looking horrible now. Usually a couple days is not an issue, but all the greens, except the curly leaf mustard have gotten frost bitten. The carrots, cabbage, and onions are the only thing not effected. Those and the turnip, but the actual greens I'll just feed them to the critters. In fact I'm really thinking about turning the goats out in it to clean up.

Betsey Lou got her shot today so we have a heifer in with her so I can tell when she comes into heat. When she does, she will get inseminated with a jersey heifer calf. Just hope our bull doesn't get wind of her first. . . I spent last Tues out in the freezing rain fixing fence lines and hot wire from where he jumped it to get to Daisy May. I would really love to get rid of that bull but hunny likes him too much. He got out everyday I was home by myself and having to deal with him, but the days hunny was off, Charlie didn't even try.

I have one goat that should be having babies anytime now, which is why I needed to go check her before turning in tonight. Its below freezing, think 22 or 23 and will stay that way. Have towels on the ready just in cases. Put down some fresh hay out in the barn too. Looks like it won't be tonight though. She started discharging yesterday, but she hasn't started loosening up on the backside yet.

I like most of the Knorr sides (both pasta and rice ones). Not a fan of the "select" variety of rice sides though. They are great (and cheap) sides to a meal.

My favorite: Get some boneless, skinless chicken breasts. A packet of McCormick "Mesquite" marinade mix (one packet per two people's worth of chicken). Make the marinade, let the breasts marinade in that for a couple hours or more (I typically put it all in a good ziploc bag). Or skip the time if you want....I just like it to sit.

Cook the chicken breasts either on the grill, on a foreman grill, etc. and heat up any excess marinade. Serve that over the Knorr chicken pasta flavor (just the plain ol' chicken pasta flavor). It is yummy....one of my favorite things.

Last edited:
No babies this morning so that's good. It supposed to warm up to the 40s by tomorrows high and I think 53 the day after, but of coarse its supposed to be raining.

Drained all water lines yesterday to the pastures so will need to close them back up. Had to break ice in all troughs. The little pigs get their water from a waterer rigged up with PVC pipe, which the water inside froze. Poor babies were thirsty. . . they now have an old barrel feeder for water.

Can already tell Betseys body is doing what it needs to do. Daisy mounted her but she hasn't been standing still. It shouldn't happen till 60 hours which should be Fri around noon, but there is always exception which is why I requested to work early this week and get it over with. Its a small window that I don't want to miss.

In just his first year, Trump has fixed Global Warming! LOL....

mapcold.jpg

I didn't even think of the whole pipes issue. We're just not used to that here in FL, but a very real reality tomorrow. Supposed to be below freezing. In Central FL!!!

Last edited:
Concealed Handgun License? called different things in different states. Here, it's a CCP or Concealed Carry Permit.

Water lines have thawed so went ahead and filled everyone up. We'll drain all the lines later when temps drop back down, but for now keeping on for the cows auto waterers. They drink a lot everyday. I used to have to haul 50 gallon drums of water in the back of the truck and transfer bucket load after bucket load. I really don't want to have to do that again unless absolutely necessary. We used to have that insulated foam wrapped around everything, but they didn't last. . . between cows, goats and dogs they have disappeared.

Went ahead and brought up 6 wheelbarrow loads of wood to the porch after the sun came out. We've really been going thru the wood lately since that is how we are heating the house. Both the fireplace and wood stove has been going pretty much 24/7, but inside has been toasty warm. We still have plenty for this year, but will have to start thinking about next year. Hunny's the type to put off till it needs to happen kind of guy. . . I may need to remind him to keep his eyes open for down or dead trees while he is about and about doing service calls, that way we can go ahead and collect the wood at least. It can always be split later when there is time.

Water lines have thawed so went ahead and filled everyone up. We'll drain all the lines later when temps drop back down, but for now keeping on for the cows auto waterers. They drink a lot everyday. I used to have to haul 50 gallon drums of water in the back of the truck and transfer bucket load after bucket load. I really don't want to have to do that again unless absolutely necessary. We used to have that insulated foam wrapped around everything, but they didn't last. . . between cows, goats and dogs they have disappeared.

Went ahead and brought up 6 wheelbarrow loads of wood to the porch after the sun came out. We've really been going thru the wood lately since that is how we are heating the house. Both the fireplace and wood stove has been going pretty much 24/7, but inside has been toasty warm. We still have plenty for this year, but will have to start thinking about next year. Hunny's the type to put off till it needs to happen kind of guy. . . I may need to remind him to keep his eyes open for down or dead trees while he is about and about doing service calls, that way we can go ahead and collect the wood at least. It can always be split later when there is time.
My stove has been going nonstop as well. It has really cut into the supply but I will make it through this winter. Kind of sucks as we had a storm a few weeks back and there were trees down everywhere. I was just too busy with our workload to go and collect some while it was easy. Oh well, we do what we’re able. I am definitely going to have to work hard to replenish 5his spring and summer.

I just scored 18 triple blade razors for $3.92. I got a $4.00 off coupon from coupons.com for Bic Sol razors. They were only priced $3.24 at Walmart. I bought 6 boxes and used 4 coupons. They make great stocking stuffers for the kids. January and I am already prepping for Christmas ;)

My wood stove has been burning non stop since we moved in to the cabin in October. We're going through about a cord a month, with 7 cords stacked up just outside the cabin.
Years ago I tried using a propane stock tank heater. I thought it would be better than chipping ice out of the pond, and safer than having the stock walk out on the creek ice. It worked ok but went through a lot of fuel.
We've got some cows up here that didn't get rounded up in the Fall and moved down to the valley. I hear a cow bawling in morning sometimes but can't find her. One of the neighbors is missing 13 head on his Forest Service lease that borders my land on the north. He's been flying over the area looking for his lost cows but hasn't had any luck yet. Somehow they're making a living without feed or water.

I’ll take a good quality water filter any day over guns. Of course having both isn’t bad either....

I agree but disagree. Food/water is a very high priority but having a way to protect you and what's yours is just as high. I will never push someone to get the biggest and best what's out there. Get what you can afford. I would fear a soldier with a Mosin Nagant more than Joe Blow with a $1500.00 AR-15.

The beauty of a cheap priced firearm used by someone that know how to use it is that you can take that firearm and get a better firearm off the dead body of the previous owner.

Yes it’s more of a filler but just getting started on a limited budget I figured why not spend two bucks and throw some on the shelf

You know you so get what you want and need. FYI, keep in mind that Ramen has a high fat content so it does not store well. It will go rancid shortly after the expiration so I have read from a couple different people on the forums that's experienced it. Just buy what you an rotate thru your pantry in normal use. Like others mentioned I use rice. I use it for my filler along with beans.

I will slowly accrue the buckets and lids normally at Burger King for $2.00 each. I already have the Mylar/oxygen absorbers so I will then work on getting the rice or other items and then do all 10 buckets at one time. I will go to my ex village that I lived in and buy corn, winter wheat and oats from the grain mill. You can do this on the cheap. Its just as good as what you buy at the grocery store.

Mountain House makes some decent dehydrated meals. Granted, I think they were about $5 at Walmart, but really, enough for two people,

I don't know where you live but here at my Walmart the meals have been changed. They have less product and say one person but are still + $5.00. I went to buy a couple like two days ago and saw the package. I'm going to look around now. I like these for camping/hiking to go with some MRE's.

You know you so get what you want and need. FYI, keep in mind that Ramen has a high fat content so it does not store well. It will go rancid shortly after the expiration so I have read from a couple different people on the forums that's experienced it. Just buy what you an rotate thru your pantry in normal use. Like others mentioned I use rice. I use it for my filler along with beans.

I will slowly accrue the buckets and lids normally at Burger King for $2.00 each. I already have the Mylar/oxygen absorbers so I will then work on getting the rice or other items and then do all 10 buckets at one time. I will go to my ex village that I lived in and buy corn, winter wheat and oats from the grain mill. You can do this on the cheap. Its just as good as what you buy at the grocery store.

I get my food grade buckets from my local grocerys baker/deli for free, they just about all have one. These are what there icings and bread mixes come in, there different sizes, 2 gal. To 5 gal. There good quality with lids, rubber seals. I have gotten close to 80 assorted sizes over the last few years. I just ask them if they have any everytime I go in to buy something. 4 out of 5 times they do and I take one home.

I just buy the oxygen absorders and pick leaves off my bayleaf tree to put in the buckets. Really cheap prepping.

Wife was at a dog show in Albany Oregon and while at the dog show she got into a conversation with a couple that had a family member pass away, he was staying in a RV park, anyway they had to move the RV but didn't want the extras, long story short, she picked up 8 30lb propane tanks that were just over a year old for $50 and to a surprise to her they were all recently filled before he passed away a week ago. He also had 4 40lb tank but by the time she loaded up her gear and the 8 tanks she had no room for the 40s.

IMG_3211.JPG

Wife was at a dog show in Albany Oregon and while at the dog show she got into a conversation with a couple that had a family member pass away, he was staying in a RV park, anyway they had to move the RV but didn't want the extras, long story short, she picked up 8 30lb propane tanks that were just over a year old for $50 and to a surprise to her they were all recently filled before he passed away a week ago. He also had 4 40lb tank but by the time she loaded up her gear and the 8 tanks she had no room for the 40s.

Now this is a good deal. I have 3 tanks ready for refill and 2 or 3 old valve tanks that need to be exchanged and that's over $50.00 just for propane.

Now this is a good deal. I have 3 tanks ready for refill and 2 or 3 old valve tanks that need to be exchanged and that's over $50.00 just for propane.

Oh I'm not going to complain, $400 in tanks and as a bonus $112 in propane all for $50 ya, no complaints. Just wish she was able to get the 4 40s too.

Picked up 40 rounds of 5.56 it was on sale so I couldn’t pass it up and 100 count of 125gr xtp to load in 38 spl this weekend. We burned up some older ammo over the holidays so time to reload another 100 to get my stock back up to an adaquite level for my wife’s sp101 and they shoot just fine out of my GP100

Oh I'm not going to complain, $400 in tanks and as a bonus $112 in propane all for $50 ya, no complaints. Just wish she was able to get the 4 40s too.

I'm kind of jealous of you. I am working on building up my propane storage. I am going to use it for SHTF lighting, camping stoves, several heaters plus the normal day grill. I am working up saving for a dual fuel generator also. Once I get that then I will sell my gas only generator.

Back