This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After years of yearning, I finally ordered a kelly kettle :D

By accident, my cousin left one of my car windows open last night and everything froze, so this morning saw me scraping ice off the inside as well as the outside. Scraping the middle of the windscreen is a pain because I'm very short, and despite wearing thermal gloves my fingers disappeared when Raynaud's kicked in. Upshot: I might invest in a) an ice-scraper with a longer handle and b) a cosy ice cover for the windscreen.

After years of yearning, I finally ordered a kelly kettle :D

By accident, my cousin left one of my car windows open last night and everything froze, so this morning saw me scraping ice off the inside as well as the outside. Scraping the middle of the windscreen is a pain because I'm very short, and despite wearing thermal gloves my fingers disappeared when Raynaud's kicked in. Upshot: I might invest in a) an ice-scraper with a longer handle and b) a cosy ice cover for the windscreen.
I've been wanting a Kelly Kettle for a long time too. What model did you order?

Two more properties viewed today. One just a couple of houses along the road, with a great big garden that has a burn running through it, a useable loft space and a nice utility basement (including a lathe that the man might be prepared to sell to me). Unfortunately, the garden is also on a hell of a slope with a lot of mature trees on it.

The other was a longer drive out into the peninsula. It's an end-terrace house in a beautiful wee hamlet. Great big garden with sheds, large pond (I could breed koi carp to eat/sell :)), sunroom, and - in some ways, best of all - 6'6" ceilings upstairs that make me feel very comfortable. It needs some work in the heating and sheds departments, but it's worth a second look and I'll go out again next week.

Two more lined up for tomorrow.

I bought some 1/10th oz gold coins today on eBay. If anyone is thinking of gold or silver ebay is the cheapest place to buy it. You still have to search and compare from the different vendors, but you can buy close to the spot price most days. I want something that isn’t tied to the economy of any country in case there is a depression. I think of the people in places like Venezuela that worked hard, saved and invested only to have their currency devalued down to nothing.
I like the idea of 1/10th ounce coins. I've got some 1, 5, 10 and 100 oz bars. These are fine for storage, but difficult to use for smaller purchases if the economy tanks.
I'm having a hard time buying any gold now because of the price, but maybe I need to get over that.

I like the idea of 1/10th ounce coins. I've got some 1, 5, 10 and 100 oz bars. These are fine for storage, but difficult to use for smaller purchases if the economy tanks.
I'm having a hard time buying any gold now because of the price, but maybe I need to get over that.
I agree gold is insanely high right now. It was only 300 an ounce when I first bought it, close to 1300 right now. The key to everything investing is diversifying. I’m still looking for alternatives to stocks right now, but still do some.

Last edited:
The house is coming along good now. I fired the plumber and the drywall hangers. The new plumber and the drywall guys will be out next week. Got the wood stove connected today. The house will be painted this spring to match the shop.
house.jpg

The house is coming along good now. I fired the plumber and the drywall hangers. The new plumber and the drywall guys will be out next week. Got the wood stove connected today. The house will be painted this spring to match the shop. View attachment 9314
The house looks really nice. Those trees are beautiful. The place looks peaceful and comfortable... and cold as heck!

Great looking place..but i think that i would of gone with a attached garage.more for convenience then anything else.
There's a couple reasons why we didn't go with an attached garage. First we would have needed to clear a lot of trees to fit it close enough to attach it to the house, plus it would change the whole character of the house. Next, it's more of a shop than a garage. And finially we get very little rain here and the snow is generally dry.

I really wasn't trying for "cute" on the house design, but the wife told me that cute was ok. Thanks.
I love cute houses but I'm with these other southern latitude people on white fluffy stuff. Though I see how necessary it is if you don't get any rain. Reminds me of a project my dad had in Colorado, where they built canals for the snow-melt-runoff so they would have the water when they needed it.

I finished the totals of our business taxes finally! That took half the day, and I just email them over to our accountant, so I still don’t know exactly where we are at yet before she does her thing, but at least my part is done. About all I managed to do otherwise was restock the firewood and kindling inside. I have the wood stove ready to light in a few minutes. Looks like I will keep it going for the week here. We will see teens overnight in a couple days here. I’m sympathetic to Arctic about now. The news is saying people should go out and get supplies as we should get some snow/mix on Tuesday, all the way into downtown Atlanta. I thought about it and pretty much don’t need to go get anything. I’m glad I’ve been a prepper for a long time now.

Life around here is just at a stall in prepping. No garden once again this season, at least for now. Its half way thru kid season and I still have 4 mommas to go late Jan - Feb. My MIL needs much more help now. Getting her out of bed, fixing meals, getting up from chairs, bathing and so on. That has just started this week, but it causes me to be away from home a lot more.
Our other issues are my hunny back and neck issues sent him to the ER and we found out my husband has prostate cancer. It has not spread but he will need a robotic assisted radical prostatectomy. We've gone to all kinds of testing these last couple weeks now. Hoping to hear from the referral office by middle of next week.
We are still setting well with all of our previous prepping so we will be just fine there. You never know what life throws your way guys. . . Just always be prepared as best you can.

Life around here is just at a stall in prepping. No garden once again this season, at least for now. Its half way thru kid season and I still have 4 mommas to go late Jan - Feb. My MIL needs much more help now. Getting her out of bed, fixing meals, getting up from chairs, bathing and so on. That has just started this week, but it causes me to be away from home a lot more.
Our other issues are my hunny back and neck issues sent him to the ER and we found out my husband has prostate cancer. It has not spread but he will need a robotic assisted radical prostatectomy. We've gone to all kinds of testing these last couple weeks now. Hoping to hear from the referral office by middle of next week.
We are still setting well with all of our previous prepping so we will be just fine there. You never know what life throws your way guys. . . Just always be prepared as best you can.
You’ve got your hands full. I wish you the best

My son said something pretty profound to me yesterday. We were talking about saving for retirement. Most Americans think about putting financial resources away for when we get older. He said he wonders why more people don’t work on their health more, like exercise and eating healthier, to help themselves when they get older. Every now and then he really makes me proud.

Damn, I’m truly hoping the best for you all Danil and you’re right, never know what life throws your way :(

I hope everything goes well for y'all dealing with these health concerns. Sounds like it's quite a bit and all at once. Good luck!

Wow, you have things coming at you from multiple directions. I will put you on my prayer list! I am glad the cancer has not spread, that sounds like a good prognosis... you will be in my thoughts, and praying for the best results! Don’t forget to take care of yourself, too. Hugs from AL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back