This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We don't have any chiggers here, not sure what they are even.
Imagine if the devil was smaller than a pin-head, and loved to bite you and suck your blood burrowing it's head into your skin like a tick. And itching worse than anything else ever. Now imagine dozens of those all over you up under your clothes and everything. That's what chiggers are.
Trombicula-autumnalis-adult-mite.jpg

We don't have any chiggers here, not sure what they are even. I've only seen a hand full of mosquitoes, and only around the water troughs, and have only found 1 tick on the dog in 4 years. What we do have in abundance here is yellow jackets, hornets and rattlesnakes. We eat outside a lot until late summer when the yellow jackets get too thick. I do all the cooking outside on the barbeque or in the smoker.

Chiggers are a type of tiny mite . They inject an enzyme into the skin and feed off the decaying tissue. They itch like fire. Here in Tn we have all of the above. Lots of ticks mosquitoes and both rattlesnake and lots of copperheads (snake).

the chiggers were so bad on the yard of the last place i lived once.i had to get out there and spray the yard.tree's and the outside of the house with insecticide to get rid of them.i even sprayed the driveway for good measure. its paved with grass and weeds growing in spots.

Imagine if the devil was smaller than a pin-head, and loved to bite you and suck your blood burrowing it's head into your skin like a tick. And itching worse than anything else ever. Now imagine dozens of those all over you up under your clothes and everything. That's what chiggers are.
View attachment 10180
Ok you can keep them. Now it doesn't seem like our yellowjackets and rattlesnakes are so bad.

Last edited:
They can keep them. I've never understood they hype about wings.
That’s horrible! And possibly evil... fried chicken wings are one of the greatest things in life! I’ve never liked the ones dripping in sauce though. It’s a shame to mess up a perfectly fried piece of chicken...

No matter what kind of bird, chicken, goose, duck or turkey...THE WINGS BELONG TO MY WIFE. I only get to touch them long enough to put them on her plate...no problem. I like breasts and thighs like any real man...GP

View attachment 10180

I hated chiggers more than anything, I started wearing pantyhose when I gone hunting in the South when I lived their.

I thought you would get some big eyes on that one!!! Caught your blind side didn't I ? Hope you could laugh for a minute on that one, I just could not let such a chance go by to make a pun of the play on words. It is just in my blood. You should see how I make fun of the German language for the natives and get them to laugh over themselves...

I thought you would get some big eyes on that one!!! Caught your blind side didn't I ? Hope you could laugh for a minute on that one, I just could not let such a chance go by to make a pun of the play on words. It is just in my blood. You should see how I make fun of the German language for the natives and get them to laugh over themselves...
Yep, got a laugh. I was going to play it coy, but just decided on a flat out NOPE! instead.

Lol, actually under my pants, I caught hell for it in the beginning but that subsided when I'm not the one with burning and itchy legs, at least my hunting didn't end abruptly ;)
I've never worn pantyhose before Mav. But I did get caught by my future in-laws wearing nothing but a smile and a pair of my futures wife's pantys on my head. After about the third lap around the dining room table they walked in on us. They couldn't believe that their little girl would marry someone like me.

Ok. Back to prepping now. After my trip to the bank today I brought home another load of reloading stuff from storage. I've never had everything in one place before, and I have several more loads. I need a bigger building! Depending on how things go over the next few weeks I may start selling off a lot of ammo and reloading components.

Back