This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, total ignorance here as I'd never heard of a window quilt before. Is it the same as a bed quilt and you hang it up like a regular curtain? Like these: 12 Instructions with Free Patterns to Make Window Quilt | Guide Patterns How do you fix it in place? If it's in one piece can you roll it up if you want to let light in? (I'm guessing they would make the room totally dark, so you'd be spending more on lighting, but it would probably be a great idea anyway.)

We have the opposite problem here of keeping heat out rather than cold, but I'm wondering if this would work for me. How long does it take you to make one? If I've got a big window could I just fix a bed quilt in place somehow? Do you use the same kind of internal layer as for a bed quilt? Would that be bamboo? You've got me thinking, thinking, thinking, as our hot weather will be here soon.🤔
I am from the NE and I never heard this term before. So it is a reasonable question.

If you grind the beans before roasting, none of the chemical reactions that create the flavor compounds will happen because the bean structure is destroyed and all the flavor producing chemicals will evaporate out of the bean instead of reacting.. You will have what is known as "baked" beans.

If you grind the beans before roasting, none of the chemical reactions that create the flavor compounds will happen because the bean structure is destroyed and all the flavor producing chemicals will evaporate out of the bean instead of reacting.. You will have what is known as "baked" beans.

No one will realize it in an soja-latte....

runs 'n hide

OK, total ignorance here as I'd never heard of a window quilt before. Is it the same as a bed quilt and you hang it up like a regular curtain? Like these: 12 Instructions with Free Patterns to Make Window Quilt | Guide Patterns How do you fix it in place? If it's in one piece can you roll it up if you want to let light in? (I'm guessing they would make the room totally dark, so you'd be spending more on lighting, but it would probably be a great idea anyway.)

We have the opposite problem here of keeping heat out rather than cold, but I'm wondering if this would work for me. How long does it take you to make one? If I've got a big window could I just fix a bed quilt in place somehow? Do you use the same kind of internal layer as for a bed quilt? Would that be bamboo? You've got me thinking, thinking, thinking, as our hot weather will be here soon.🤔

iu

(picture off internet)

Window quilts are basically just like a bed quilt 2 pieces of fabric with a batting layer between made to fit tightly in a window opening. They can help to keep cold air out as well as heat out in the summer. I personally make all my drapes myself and prefer to make a thermal shade which is very similar. Two layers of fabric with a thermal layer between. I attach mine to rollers like a traditional roman shade just much heavier.

iu

(picture off internet)

Window quilts are basically just like a bed quilt 2 pieces of fabric with a batting layer between made to fit tightly in a window opening. They can help to keep cold air out as well as heat out in the summer. I personally make all my drapes myself and prefer to make a thermal shade which is very similar. Two layers of fabric with a thermal layer between. I attach mine to rollers like a traditional roman shade just much heavier.
Thank you. I'm definitely going to make some!

100_6160.JPG

Here is the one I make. It is more like a roman shade. Serves several purposes as a blackout blind for those that sleep during the day working shift work. It is great for on the west side of the house to block that strong evening sun that fades rugs and furniture. Mine are somewhat heavy but they have to really hug the wall to seal the window somewhat. The thermal layer in between can usually be found at stores that sell upholstery supplies.

Split some firewood today, rowed the boat around the lake and checked some traps. I'm going to put my jet boat in the barn for the winter.
Its foggy and cold today and I'm not feeling well. Fortunately I've only got a few critters to skin later tonight. Right now I'm going to go inside and lay down in front of the wood stove.

Roast some cardboard then. It will taste better, LOL
Raw coffee beans taste and smell nothing like roast coffee. I've only found one type of coffee (Ethiopian Kembata) that even smells pleasant green. The rest smell terrible when green.
It's like the difference between a green persimmon and a ripe persimmon. And you can only appreciate that if you have ever bitten into a green persimmon!

Here is the one I make. It is more like a roman shade. Serves several purposes as a blackout blind for those that sleep during the day working shift work. It is great for on the west side of the house to block that strong evening sun that fades rugs and furniture. Mine are somewhat heavy but they have to really hug the wall to seal the window somewhat. The thermal layer in between can usually be found at stores that sell upholstery supplies.
That looks amazing! I'm definitely going to make one now.

How much meat wrapping paper is ”enough” to stock? Frankly, I don’t have that many rolls and it hit me that perhaps this is a huge mistake. Also, do you stock wax covered or just plain meat paper wrapping?

That is a lot of beef to can! I did about half that a few weeks ago…and was tired. Congratulate your wife for me!
She does it in batches over time. She pulls the meat out of the big freezer and let's it thaw in my fur shed fridge. Its kind of funny when she grabs an animal that i haven't skinned yet of a bag of pelts instead of beef.

Just got this so when the blackouts come we can can the food now in the freezers……Camp Chef Explorer, Two Burner Stove, Two 30,000 BTU's cast-aluminum burners, Cooking Dimensions: 14 in. x 32 in
We got one of these last year. It works great. Well worth the cost. We have a single burner on too, different brand though.

Just got this so when the blackouts come we can can the food now in the freezers……Camp Chef Explorer, Two Burner Stove, Two 30,000 BTU's cast-aluminum burners, Cooking Dimensions: 14 in. x 32 in

Can you please give me a link? Sounds like something we all should have as a backup. I’ve got backups of backups for about everything, but I am missing a way Solid way to heat for canning.

NEVER MIND! I used what you posted and found it! Thank you!!

Latest posts

Back