This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Putting a new battery in my backup cell-phone, got some more meat into the freezer, bought HER a new cell phone, got us both a great pair of arctic boots with thinsulate lines guaranteed to keep your feet warm down to MINUS 30°C/-20°F, bought us both some snow pants, got a green 2 watt laser for blinding and target marking.

Threat of snow today . But I stopped to do a little creek fishing . This stream runs into the Elk River a little further down . Occasionally catch some very nice
20231229_135449.jpg
20231229_135441.jpg
fish in this little body of water .

I've been stocking up on more "odds and ends", miscellaneous stuff past 2 weeks and using the dehydrator lately. I've dehydrated 4 different flavors/batches of beef jerkey. Fuji apples only 4 trays, will get some ambrosia apples in dehydrator tomorrow. Bought up more batteries (variety of sizes), picked up few more gallons of distilled water, case of vodka (1/2 gallon bottles), another long, multi setting flashlight, and yet more soap, shampoo, deoderants, bandages, TP, and paper towels, cple more packages brown sugar, another large container coconut oil, and pink himalayen salt, more cans of tuna and probably few other things I can't recall. Hoping to get back to some more canning this weekend. Also, got another large size generator for xmas...compliments of mother. I try to grab extras of whatever will keep long term, we need and will use every trip out...even it's only cple items. I'm still behind folks! 🤪 the list seemingly never ends!

The wife has been canning a lot of potatoes over the past week or so. We're starting to get more eggs than we can eat, so we have a 5 gallon bucket of eggs preserved. We also started downsizing a lot of stuff.
Artic , I don't want to sidetrack this thread but want to ask , considering the time of year and all , and I will be looking for more survival chickens in a few more months , what breed of chicken do you have ?

Went to the store yesterday and picked up all the large bags of rice they had. Also, bought all the beans of varying kinds. It was hard to push the cart. 😄 I know we already have a lot of rice and beans, but can one ever have “too much”? I don’t think so.

We had a new gun shop open in our area so I went and checked them out…left with more 5.56 ammo.

What is everyone’s favorite 5.56 round, for let’s call it “hog hunting”?

Got the supplies in to set my wife’s new toy up. Switched it to Glock mags, sling, Red dot. Just waiting for the boresight kit to come in. Added backup spring kit and firing pins for mine.
She ought to be set with her 20g, peashooter, and this one. Now if the weather will cooperate for some backyard range time.

Got the supplies in to set my wife’s new toy up. Switched it to Glock mags, sling, Red dot. Just waiting for the boresight kit to come in. Added backup spring kit and firing pins for mine.
She ought to be set with her 20g, peashooter, and this one. Now if the weather will cooperate for some backyard range time.
Ruger PC or Henry ?

There are a number AR type PCCs introduced recently that are both affordable ($400 less than the Ruger carbine) and very accurate with free floated barrels.
Probably not on the Kali approved list however.
https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/guns-parts/pistol-caliber-carbines/ar-9/ar-9-rifles.html
I only paid about 100 than the 1st one that popped up. The Ruger was a better size fit for her ( I got her a youth 20g)
In the Kommunist Republik you get either Featureless or Features for AR.
Featureless-Non adjustable stock,shark fin pistol grip (totally unsafe), but you have a standard drop magazine
Features-You can have the good stuff but fixed magazine. Have to break the upper and lower to change the mag.
Most go with featureless, Change the grip and deal with the fixed stock

Last edited:
Might not be a bol but I, like PP got another storage building on clearance...10x 20 size for us with outlets, conduit to run electric andcshelves, moving my canning stuff out of house to it, plus room to add some more!
Check auction sites or Craigslist etc for stoves and sinks.
My wife for less than 500 got an 8 ft stainless double sink, 36 inch commercial stove, 2 2x8 stainless tables for her Cast iron restoration /Canning room at the new place. She is going to have a pretty nice 12 x16 room once I can build it

Scored some different types of chemical, rain, tyvek, coverall type gear today. My brother is retired hazard material cleanup so he had all types of protective wear.

Some are large so my son can wear. Luckily they have badges on them telling for which disaster the are suited.

I know this post makes zero sense, just know that I got some protective gear.

I made an updated list today of priority prepper items we still need. I had forgotten about pest control (as in roaches and other), as well as rats and the like. In Fla. We can easily get run over with roaches in this wet, humid climate, especially with lots of stocked food, even in safe storage...it doesn't take much to get infested with roaches! I put that on priority list to stock up on! Termidor works great for us for roach and other bug deterrent. One bite and whatever ingredients it has in it works great for mice/rats around the chicken areas. Balls of Flour/baking soda/sugar as a back up, but hasn't proven AS effective for some reason after the first few rounds...seems like they started getting privvy to it and ignoring it...LOL

Anyway, don't forget about stocking up on these defense items!

BTW, I love buff and any other orpington chicken breed too! (Even though that question was posed for Arctic)..😁

Latest posts

Back