This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Work has been very demanding past couple of weeks . But I've gotten in some survival / prepper practice picking and cooking from the garden . When I get home my wife will say want to go to the garden ? And I picked up 2 100 rnd box's of .223 Fmj's . My one day off today I took my .357 Magnum and hiked around today .

Work has been very demanding past couple of weeks . But I've gotten in some survival / prepper practice picking and cooking from the garden . When I get home my wife will say want to go to the garden ? And I picked up 2 100 rnd box's of .223 Fmj's . My one day off today I took my .357 Magnum and hiked around today .
Yea , nothing like a .357............ and a nice walk in the woods .............always take the shepherds with me ................. like to have a 6 foot walking stick also..........

I have a case of MREs about to be at my house...I reorganized my bug out bag....going to start getting used to my bug out location by camping there....with my gear...got someone to can some fruits for me (pears, peaches, and green beans) for free... Bought some beans that were on sale today 89 cents a bag...and cleaned my .22

There may be a lot of restrictions in Europe Jontte but at least you can have a 10/22 :(

yup, we do have lots of those...but I'm still thank you to the police-officer who sorted out my gun license problem and when he returns from his vacation I will personally go and say thanks.

and on monday I will get my mags...

Cute little guy Brent. . . I am already sick of canning tomatoes . . .
Braggart! Lol. I even planted pretty early, but their taking their time! I have enough beans for a year or so, I'm hoping to do the same with tomatoes. I canned some yellow squash, de seeding as you advised, and they look great. Since I'm the only one, mostly, that eats regular food I've been using lots of pint and half pint jars. Can't wait to have the root cellar to store stuff in! Although at my speed of laying block it may be a while!
image.jpg

you are makeing progress, hey even rome wasn't built in a day, take the time you need :)

I sealed the outside of the walls today, and put in the French drains around the sides. Got the sealer all over me and everything else, but am ready to lay some more block tomorrow!

yeah them watering globes has been around for a while..last time i seen any.was when they were advertised on tv..even then that was way back when ever..i simply haven't had any interest in them my self..

yeah them watering globes has been around for a while..last time i seen any.was when they were advertised on tv..even then that was way back when ever..i simply haven't had any interest in them my self..
But in a place where water is scarce, they might be a very good idea to be sure your plants get enough water without wasting with sprinklers or hoses.

yeah thats true..but the only place id use them..is in my garden.in which there's 101 plants there at this time..(yes i just counted them) :).and buying that many watering globes will add up pretty quiek

Well, right now, plenty of rain and water right here. It's definitely something to remember, though. Especially the used soda bottle idea that Graynomad brought up.

yeah.every route needs to be looked into..im gonna look into shorter garden hoses compared to what i have now.and sprinklers that put out what i need in the way of water

What about a drip system, that's easy to do, has no evaporation if you place the drippers under mulch, and easy to control or automate.

i never did like the idea of a drip system..but then again,i never looked into them..pluse ive always liked the idea of hoses and sprinklers

What about a drip system, that's easy to do, has no evaporation if you place the drippers under mulch, and easy to control or automate.
And there not real expensive. I water my grape vines with a regular sprinkler, but before too long will run a drip system that just waters the vines. Right now I'm watering the grass and weeds as well, creating more work. I'm sure evaporation eats a lot up as well. I'm lucky to have two creeks so water isn't too hard to come by, but I like not wasting things.

Man, been a while since I posted here but here it goes:

Recently found a supplier that carries equipment for my bow so I purchaced everything I need for with extra for bow care.
Purchased clothing that would come in handy in my BOB (pants for a labour job and cargo shorts.)
Researched groups in the area I'm moving back to (note to self, send email :p)
Re-organized my gear.
Updated lists and started to print off pdf book so I have a hard copy of them.
Looked into areas where we can go if/when the SHTF
Lots of planing and group assessment
Waterproofed my gear in bags due to a minor flooding scare

this what the 3 i picke looks like.and the 1 on the far right had 2 worms in it

View attachment 3064
I'm so hopeful I'll actually get corn this year. Of course I was just as hopeful the last 4 yrs as well. If I can make it just about two more weeks I think I'll have enough to gorge on and freeze as well. I wish I could give advice to you Jim, but I'm still learning myself. The main thing I've learned about corn is chicken manure really helped it grow this year. We will wait and see if I can keep the bugs and mold out of it. I had to spray everything tonight as I found in two days the greenhouse was really torn up by caterpillars. I try not to spray, as this was the second time this year. It might be wise to preempt an infestation, but I really don't like chemicals. I used some seven dust in the liquid form.

good luck with yours this year..thats why i haven't sprayed mine this year..dont like chemicals..but any how.with the info everyone here is coming up with..something is bound to work.without the chemicals n all..i figure another 2 to 3 weeks for mine.

Braggart! Lol. I even planted pretty early, but their taking their time! I have enough beans for a year or so, I'm hoping to do the same with tomatoes. I canned some yellow squash, de seeding as you advised, and they look great. Since I'm the only one, mostly, that eats regular food I've been using lots of pint and half pint jars. Can't wait to have the root cellar to store stuff in! Although at my speed of laying block it may be a while!View attachment 3026
Unfortunately, my tomato season is just about over now with all the heat we have here. Hope you like your canned squash since you took my advise!! :p That is the best way I know to can it in my opinion. I used pint sized myself since I am the only one who eats it around here unless I can camouflage it in a casserole or bread. . .then my hunny and kids will eat it. If they see it, they will pick it out so what is the point. Your root cellar is looking great in my opinion. . .you are going to be able to store quite a bit of produce in there. Yeah, I am still jealous. . . I can just picture it lined with shelves, barrels, bins and baskets. Stay well Brent and try not to over do it my friend.

did create an account in the finnish survival community, boy what a dissapointment it was so I'm counting that I will find more preppers from Fin here

i got into my camping gear..(2 totes)..i got out my tent out and pitched it in my backyrad,to air out.and to make sure it's still water proof.in which it is..i rerolled my sleepingbag seeing how it wasnt done up right.i need to get a tote for my kitchen stuff.knifes.knife sharpener,spoons forks and other stuff.i still need to get extra AAbattries.and something to keep them in..gonna keep AA...AAA and D batteries in with my camping gear.and take them out only to check them to make sure they're still charged up and good..

Unfortunately, my tomato season is just about over now with all the heat we have here. Hope you like your canned squash since you took my advise!! :p That is the best way I know to can it in my opinion. I used pint sized myself since I am the only one who eats it around here unless I can camouflage it in a casserole or bread. . .then my hunny and kids will eat it. If they see it, they will pick it out so what is the point. Your root cellar is looking great in my opinion. . .you are going to be able to store quite a bit of produce in there. Yeah, I am still jealous. . . I can just picture it lined with shelves, barrels, bins and baskets. Stay well Brent and try not to over do it my friend.
Sorry about the tomatoes, I'm just starting to get some, picked my second one yesterday. Hope to be able to can a lot this year. I am doing mostly the pints as well, as my wife dosent eat much real food now. I just moved the canner off the burner a moment ago. I put in twenty pints, mostly green beans, some more yellow squash, two zucchini, and I even did 1 cucumber just to see if it turns out edible. I treated it the same way as the squash, and will try making some cucumber soup in a few weeks with it. I stay close to home with my wife's health, so working on projects keeps me occupied. I do know when to relax occasionally, usually alcohol helps!;) I took the new bike out for two hrs on Sunday. I went up in the mountains on a really curvy road and got a feel for how it handles, as it's almost twice as big as my old bike. It was miserably hot here, but in the higher elevation it was almost chilly. I live in a pretty hilly area, but within ten miles I can be in really beautiful mountains. Hope all is well with you as well.

Latest posts

Back