This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry about the tomatoes, I'm just starting to get some, picked my second one yesterday. Hope to be able to can a lot this year. I am doing mostly the pints as well, as my wife dosent eat much real food now. I just moved the canner off the burner a moment ago. I put in twenty pints, mostly green beans, some more yellow squash, two zucchini, and I even did 1 cucumber just to see if it turns out edible. I treated it the same way as the squash, and will try making some cucumber soup in a few weeks with it. I stay close to home with my wife's health, so working on projects keeps me occupied. I do know when to relax occasionally, usually alcohol helps!;) I took the new bike out for two hrs on Sunday. I went up in the mountains on a really curvy road and got a feel for how it handles, as it's almost twice as big as my old bike. It was miserably hot here, but in the higher elevation it was almost chilly. I live in a pretty hilly area, but within ten miles I can be in really beautiful mountains. Hope all is well with you as well.
I have never tried to can up cucumber unless they had been pickled. . . interesting thought and would like to know how they turned out for you. You never know, might just work and making a soup out of it is a great idea. I know my hunny would actually eat it that way. He eats relish, but not pickles. . . until today when his calf muscle got a cramp in it and came in asking where the pickles were.

Yeah a nice ride helps to relax the soul and just work things out in your mind. We try to go 4 wheeling a few times a week. . . just around here in the woods or down by the canals, normally at dusk or dark so we can see the deer or the fireflies. Reminds me of being a kid again, at least to a point.

Ok since you brought up alcohol ;), you grow your own grapes? Or am I just associating it with the homemade wine you made out of the canned fruit? I just planted some grapes a couple years ago and they started producing this year, but the birds have been getting to them before they get fully ripe. Do you cover yours with netting? I am planning on it for next year

i had a idea when it comes to the ears of corn i lost..i collected all of them.and gonna look into making corn cob pipes out of the ones i can do so

i had a idea when it comes to the ears of corn i lost..i collected all of them.and gonna look into making corn cob pipes out of the ones i can do so
What you planning to smoke in them there Cobb pipes Jim!:) Seriously, I would love to smoke a pipe again, with a cherry mixed tobacco. I'll never touch it though as it was so hard to quit smoking that I just don't want to go down that road again.

I have never tried to can up cucumber unless they had been pickled. . . interesting thought and would like to know how they turned out for you. You never know, might just work and making a soup out of it is a great idea. I know my hunny would actually eat it that way. He eats relish, but not pickles. . . until today when his calf muscle got a cramp in it and came in asking where the pickles were.

Yeah a nice ride helps to relax the soul and just work things out in your mind. We try to go 4 wheeling a few times a week. . . just around here in the woods or down by the canals, normally at dusk or dark so we can see the deer or the fireflies. Reminds me of being a kid again, at least to a point.

Ok since you brought up alcohol ;), you grow your own grapes? Or am I just associating it with the homemade wine you made out of the canned fruit? I just planted some grapes a couple years ago and they started producing this year, but the birds have been getting to them before they get fully ripe. Do you cover yours with netting? I am planning on it for next year
I never heard of eating pickles for cramps, we always went for bananas. (Or maybey we were just bananas.)! It does give one a sense of peace to go out on a bike, except on the days you feel like you're playing frogger. Sometimes it feels like everyone is trying to pull out in front of you! The four wheeling sounds like a blast. I love hiking in the woods, with those you can go all sorts of places.
I have enough grapes now that I don't need to make any of the canned fruit wine anymore, it was just a way to use up some peaches that were close to expiration. The canned stuff, and juice concentrate is a great way to start learning with. It's really easy to make a good tasting fruity tasting wine, and dosent take much investment. When you plant grapes it takes a couple years before they start producing well, but then you can have about a hundred years of production from them. Each year is different with crows and squirrels being a problem. Last year I covered a lot of the grapes and apples with netting, but I've got so much planted now that it's not practical now. My motto is plant enough to feed all the local wildlife and yourself!:confused: My plan is to have a couple outside dogs to help protect the yard, just as soon as I finish the fencing! It's so hot right now that I'll probably finish in the fall now. I even have the materials now, just need the spare time. Hope you have a good day, Brent.

i never learned how to make a pipe from corn cobs.so i figured id give it a try just to see if i can or not.and itd be a pluss if i can.seeing how id have a pipe for smokeing,if i decide to go that route.pluss theyd be a money maker if i sucede in doing so.and theyd be great for trade after a shtf situation happens..

been going through my camping gear..in which is in 2 totes..finally got my sleeping bag tent air mattress and air pump into one tote.plus i remembered a small tote we have,in which i can keep my camping knives utensils and all in it.and its small enough for my other camping tote..i have a feeling i'll be removing stuff from my b.o.b./b.h.b. for it as well...in which i can restart my bag when i can buy stuff for it

my tomatos have def startedto bloom, wohooo :)
this week it will be fri,sat and sun 20-30km/ 12-18miles per day with my bicycle + garden ( lots of water to carry)

i have a few flowers on my tomato plants.okra coming out.and a racoon got into my corn again,gonna stop by walmart tomorrow and look into what they have in the way of sprays.maybe stop by a nursery as well..

here's my new items..

DSCN0859[1].JPG DSCN0858[1].JPG

racoon got into my corn again,

I have heard tell of people stringing fishing line on stakes around the corn patch, about 10" off the ground and hanging aluminum cans with a few pebbles ( pea gravel ) inside them, spaced about 6-8" apart.
You can also cut windows into the cans, and fold out the cut out, leaving it attached to the can, like a window storm shutter, and use a motion sensor light. I bought one at Lowe's with 2 LED spot lights and a battery connected with a 10' cable to a solar panel. Cost about $50. Point the light at the corn. Move it every couple of days to different spot. Coons are night bandits and they don't like when their environment changes. New things spook them. I have also heard mothballs spread around on tin foil works some times. They don't like the smell, also remember that in the dark, they sense with their palms, and every thing goes to their mouth. Nasty taste. Also they get spooked with the sound the foil makes when it crinkles. PS: if you have a cat that jumps on counters, put flat tin foil on the counters. Cats freak out when they touch it and will learn to avoid that area.
I had a female coon for 16 years, got her with her eyes closed. We raised her with a litter of kittens. Momma cat took her in with no problems.
She was 65 pounds when she died.
I learned a lot about just how smart they really are.
Hope this helps.

I never heard of eating pickles for cramps, we always went for bananas. (Or maybey we were just bananas.)! It does give one a sense of peace to go out on a bike, except on the days you feel like you're playing frogger. Sometimes it feels like everyone is trying to pull out in front of you! The four wheeling sounds like a blast. I love hiking in the woods, with those you can go all sorts of places.

Actually, one of the reasons we get cramps is because we would have a low sodium content bloodstream and in our muscles. This affects the signals to our brain about what to do with the muscle and how the muscle reacts. Pickles are pretty high in sodium so it is a good way to up the level in our muscles and remove the cramp. Take in moderation if you are hypertensive or have high-blood pressure.

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Cramps

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional but have been a Mountain Search and Rescue volunteer wth First Aid Training.

Actually, one of the reasons we get cramps is because we would have a low sodium content bloodstream and in our muscles. This affects the signals to our brain about what to do with the muscle and how the muscle reacts. Pickles are pretty high in sodium so it is a good way to up the level in our muscles and remove the cramp. Take in moderation if you are hypertensive or have high-blood pressure.

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Cramps

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional but have been a Mountain Search and Rescue volunteer wth First Aid Training.
I've always heard that low potassium was a major cause of cramps, and bananas are a good source of it. Anyone ever try mixing bananas and pickles? Lol. I'm sure some pregnant woman out there did!

I have heard tell of people stringing fishing line on stakes around the corn patch, about 10" off the ground and hanging aluminum cans with a few pebbles ( pea gravel ) inside them, spaced about 6-8" apart.
You can also cut windows into the cans, and fold out the cut out, leaving it attached to the can, like a window storm shutter, and use a motion sensor light. I bought one at Lowe's with 2 LED spot lights and a battery connected with a 10' cable to a solar panel. Cost about $50. Point the light at the corn. Move it every couple of days to different spot. Coons are night bandits and they don't like when their environment changes. New things spook them. I have also heard mothballs spread around on tin foil works some times. They don't like the smell, also remember that in the dark, they sense with their palms, and every thing goes to their mouth. Nasty taste. Also they get spooked with the sound the foil makes when it crinkles. PS: if you have a cat that jumps on counters, put flat tin foil on the counters. Cats freak out when they touch it and will learn to avoid that area.
I had a female coon for 16 years, got her with her eyes closed. We raised her with a litter of kittens. Momma cat took her in with no problems.
Hope this helps.

i had forgottn about mothballs.i'll have to wait untill we're not getting any rain to try it

Hope this helps.
Sorry about your coon, after 16 yrs it's like loosing a family member. They really are smart little buggars. A friend of mine just raised one and after healing had to train it to live in the wild. She rehabs alot of animals, so had to help it learn to be wild again but said it was really hard to let it go.

Got a few more blocks laid on the shelter/root cellar yesterday. I'm in the middle of an 8 day stretch at work so progress is a little slow, but I have 6 days off after this stretch so hope to get all the block laid next week. I'm eager to get this hole covered up!
image.jpg

After work today, I stopped by the north end of the property to pick the pears. Co, who is a dear friend, has been living on that end of our property for the last two years now. His 'friends' have been the squirrels and he has been attracting more of their buddies by feeding them. He also decided this last spring that he wanted to put in a small garden because he said he missed it after seeing mine last year. Poor guy hasn't owned land for years now, living out of his camper till he moved into our small house. . . and of coarse we didn't have a problem with a garden. Well, his 'friends' have made a mess out of his garden, his corn gets stolen on a regular basis and I now have corn husk hanging out of my pear and mayhaw trees. . . Needless to say, his 'friends' have found their way over to my pears and I am just not getting a good harvest this year, but while I was gathering and the guys were out helping, they were already talkin about the pies and turnovers. I was hoping to can some up, but this year, I guess we'll just go ahead and eat what I can get. It's a shame though really, the ones I found on the ground only had a couple nibbles out of them and tossed aside.

Got a few more blocks laid on the shelter/root cellar yesterday. I'm in the middle of an 8 day stretch at work so progress is a little slow, but I have 6 days off after this stretch so hope to get all the block laid next week. I'm eager to get this hole covered up!View attachment 3107
Little by little. . .it takes time and some days, there is just not enough time in your day. I remember how that goes. On days I work at my 'real' job, I don't get too many extras done myself. . . just the normal chores of the day.

After work today, I stopped by the north end of the property to pick the pears. Co, who is a dear friend, has been living on that end of our property for the last two years now. His 'friends' have been the squirrels and he has been attracting more of their buddies by feeding them. He also decided this last spring that he wanted to put in a small garden because he said he missed it after seeing mine last year. Poor guy hasn't owned land for years now, living out of his camper till he moved into our small house. . . and of coarse we didn't have a problem with a garden. Well, his 'friends' have made a mess out of his garden, his corn gets stolen on a regular basis and I now have corn husk hanging out of my pear and mayhaw trees. . . Needless to say, his 'friends' have found their way over to my pears and I am just not getting a good harvest this year, but while I was gathering and the guys were out helping, they were already talkin about the pies and turnovers. I was hoping to can some up, but this year, I guess we'll just go ahead and eat what I can get. It's a shame though really, the ones I found on the ground only had a couple nibbles out of them and tossed aside.
I think squirrels are really cute and all, but don't mess with my produce, or there's a good chance you're going to become part of my meal!!! I haven't eaten a fig yet due to the cute little varmints. I had a doe last year eating apples off one of the trees closest to the house, in broad daylight. I stood at the window and watched her take 1 bite out of each apple as she walked around the tree. Then I saw my wife looking at me saying "don't even think about it!" Oh well, no venesin that time.

I would definitely be having some venison and squirrel in both cases. I would be giving it to other people, of course, but both situations would have been taken care of quickly. Squirrels may be the worst pest there is because they don't eat the food, they bury it in the ground to save for later and then they forget where they put it. I've watched them steal bird food and go around the yard digging little holes. A lot of the holes they dig they cover over without putting anything in them. Those are decoys. I have no squirrels here. They know better.

It happened Thursday, but since I had so many ghost and banana (plants right next to the ghost so they have a little more kick to them) peppers I cut in half, took out all the seeds and then dehydrated. Once dried, I crushed them up and put them into the blender to make them into a powder, to add to my own seasonings. It is almost like cayenne to add to any of your favorite dishes.

It happened Thursday, but since I had so many ghost and banana (plants right next to the ghost so they have a little more kick to them) peppers I cut in half, took out all the seeds and then dehydrated. Once dried, I crushed them up and put them into the blender to make them into a powder, to add to my own seasonings. It is almost like cayenne to add to any of your favorite dishes.
I've been considering making my own onion powder, maybey garlic and hot pepper too. The dehydrator is a great idea to speed it up. I haven't grown any garlic yet, but with all those I would have most of the spices I use commonly covered. Can we grow peppercorns?

This summer is all about experimenting with what works for me. Having the goats and chickens, my own vegetable and herb gardens, sprouting seeds and doing a lot of online research. Being an organic non-gmo pescatarian has expanded my diet horizon rather than limiting it as many probably believe.
Here are a few things that I've learned:
1. I don't need a lot of goats. I only get about a 1/2 pint of milk a day from Diana, yet I've managed to leave enough milk (without trying) over the last month and a half that I'll be using a gallon of it to make mozzarella cheese today. And that includes using a quart to make goat cheese the day before yesterday. I won't be making goat cheese again. It turned out well, I just didn't like it much. Perhaps I should have put more herbs and garlic in it.
2. In fact, I probably don't need goats at all. I still haven't made a decision about keeping them as I do enjoy their personalities. I can purchase organic milk in aseptic boxes that will store for a year or more. I can even purchase organic powdered milk for long-term storage. I have found many cheese and butter making recipes that can be made from boxed or powdered milk. I don't need fresh for that. Although, I can also purchase organic cheeses and butters in many forms. After making mozzarella cheese today, I will probably never make my own cheese again.
3. Growing your own vegetables takes a lot of time, work and patience. And it takes a lot of plants to grow enough to can a year's worth of foods. I discovered I have a very green thumb this summer which is a pretty neat thing to learn about myself. Last fall I purchased several bags of dried beans from the grocery store for my food preps. I tried sprouting some of the pintos but didn't like the taste of the sprouts, so I just tossed them out in the backyard in what was supposed to become my compost pile. Now I have pinto plants. A lot of them. Growing in a very small space. I'll enjoy the "fruits" of my labor in the garden this year, but I really think in the future, I'll just purchase organic veggies in bulk at the Farmer's Market for canning. For year-round fresh consumption, I can grow a couple of varieties of veggies in my house. I know I can grow now and that's the important thing. My focus will be on acquiring more seeds in more varieties for my seed storage.
4. I will keep 6 of my 11 chickens. They cost me nothing, keep down the bugs, provide me with fresh eggs and they are just plain fun to have around.
5. Last but not least, I have learned you can find the answer to any question on the internet. I have read hundreds of articles on homesteading, growing, farm animals and frugal living. I have learned that you have to keep notes or you'll never remember all of the information that you read. I am terrible about keeping notes.
Now that I am getting a handle on the food aspect of my prepping, it's time to put more effort into other aspects of prepping - my biggest concern is self-defense. I am going to sell my crossbows as I no longer have the strength to use them and they aren't going to be effective where I now live. I am going to have to get a gun. But those are topics for another day.

I've been considering making my own onion powder, maybey garlic and hot pepper too. The dehydrator is a great idea to speed it up. I haven't grown any garlic yet, but with all those I would have most of the spices I use commonly covered. Can we grow peppercorns?
I know that they can't be grown out in the garden in TX, maybe in a pot. . . not sure. I have never tried them before.

I had a pretty productive evening. I didn't get home till after 6, but got the animals fed and watered, picked some veggies and I went ahead and picked all the stalks of corn that a storm had knocked down the night before. I didn't get to the strawberry patch tonight or the beans in the greenhouse, but will can the beans tomorrow night. I'm going to try blanching the corn and vacuum bag most of the corn for freezing too. I really am having fun learning to grow food, not to mention am eating pretty well also.
image.jpg

I've always heard that low potassium was a major cause of cramps, and bananas are a good source of it. Anyone ever try mixing bananas and pickles? Lol. I'm sure some pregnant woman out there did!

Am sure some pregnant woman did. If I did that, I would probably be spending the whole afternoon sitting somewhere LOL

http://www.heirloom-organics.com/guide/va/guidetogrowingpeppercorns.html
It looks like peppercorns might do really well in a greenhouse.
Thanks for the link! I would grow it in a heartbeat if I was still in Fla. but here in N Ga. it gets too cold in winter. I dont heat the greenhouse as it seems too impractical. I just extend my growing season, but a couple months in winter I'll let it rest. Shame though as pepper really is my favorite spice. At least it stores well when you stock up. A lot of spices start loosing flavor quickly, but pepper stays strong for a long time. I like danilgrl's idea of making a subsitute out of hot peppers you can produce locally. Before too long I am going to close in my front porch and may make a growing area that I can heat over winter. It would be great to have stuff like that and fresh toms. all year. I think a vine makes great decoration for a room as well!

This summer is all about experimenting with what works for me. Having the goats and chickens, my own vegetable and herb gardens, sprouting seeds and doing a lot of online research. Being an organic non-gmo pescatarian has expanded my diet horizon rather than limiting it as many probably believe.
Here are a few things that I've learned:
1. I don't need a lot of goats. I only get about a 1/2 pint of milk a day from Diana, yet I've managed to leave enough milk (without trying) over the last month and a half that I'll be using a gallon of it to make mozzarella cheese today. And that includes using a quart to make goat cheese the day before yesterday. I won't be making goat cheese again. It turned out well, I just didn't like it much. Perhaps I should have put more herbs and garlic in it.
2. In fact, I probably don't need goats at all. I still haven't made a decision about keeping them as I do enjoy their personalities. I can purchase organic milk in aseptic boxes that will store for a year or more. I can even purchase organic powdered milk for long-term storage. I have found many cheese and butter making recipes that can be made from boxed or powdered milk. I don't need fresh for that. Although, I can also purchase organic cheeses and butters in many forms. After making mozzarella cheese today, I will probably never make my own cheese again.
3. Growing your own vegetables takes a lot of time, work and patience. And it takes a lot of plants to grow enough to can a year's worth of foods. I discovered I have a very green thumb this summer which is a pretty neat thing to learn about myself. Last fall I purchased several bags of dried beans from the grocery store for my food preps. I tried sprouting some of the pintos but didn't like the taste of the sprouts, so I just tossed them out in the backyard in what was supposed to become my compost pile. Now I have pinto plants. A lot of them. Growing in a very small space. I'll enjoy the "fruits" of my labor in the garden this year, but I really think in the future, I'll just purchase organic veggies in bulk at the Farmer's Market for canning. For year-round fresh consumption, I can grow a couple of varieties of veggies in my house. I know I can grow now and that's the important thing. My focus will be on acquiring more seeds in more varieties for my seed storage.
4. I will keep 6 of my 11 chickens. They cost me nothing, keep down the bugs, provide me with fresh eggs and they are just plain fun to have around.
5. Last but not least, I have learned you can find the answer to any question on the internet. I have read hundreds of articles on homesteading, growing, farm animals and frugal living. I have learned that you have to keep notes or you'll never remember all of the information that you read. I am terrible about keeping notes.
Now that I am getting a handle on the food aspect of my prepping, it's time to put more effort into other aspects of prepping - my biggest concern is self-defense. I am going to sell my crossbows as I no longer have the strength to use them and they aren't going to be effective where I now live. I am going to have to get a gun. But those are topics for another day.
I kind of agree with #3, its cheaper to buy stuff. I do get alot of exercise though, and I know how much pesticide was used with mine. ( i do use some, but as sparingly as possible). I saw canned green beans for 48 cents ea. You don't want to know what I would charge for mine. (free to friends, 30 bucks to a stranger!) The same goes for the chickens and rabbits, it's not economical, but I look at them as pets as well which gives me loads of pleasure. The dog is lucky i'm not interested in eating dog though.
How did the mozzarella turn out? Its my favorite cheese. Ive read a couple reciepies but haven't tried it yet. What did you use???

I kind of agree with #3, its cheaper to buy stuff. I do get alot of exercise though, and I know how much pesticide was used with mine. ( i do use some, but as sparingly as possible). I saw canned green beans for 48 cents ea. You don't want to know what I would charge for mine. (free to friends, 30 bucks to a stranger!) The same goes for the chickens and rabbits, it's not economical, but I look at them as pets as well which gives me loads of pleasure. The dog is lucky i'm not interested in eating dog though.
How did the mozzarella turn out? Its my favorite cheese. Ive read a couple reciepies but haven't tried it yet. What did you use???
Yesterday wasn't a good day, Brent, and today isn't promising to be better. So, I haven't made the mozzarella yet. I'm going to try giving myself a pep talk to get motivated and make it today. I'll use goat's milk - I have a gallon of it now and that's what it takes. By the way, it's amazing how long fresh raw milk stays good. I have some in there I know is over 3 weeks old and it still tastes the same as the day I milked her. I'll also use citric acid powder and vegetarian rennet. I'll post pictures and such when I get it done.

Thanks for the link! I would grow it in a heartbeat if I was still in Fla. but here in N Ga. it gets too cold in winter. I dont heat the greenhouse as it seems too impractical. I just extend my growing season, but a couple months in winter I'll let it rest. Shame though as pepper really is my favorite spice. At least it stores well when you stock up. A lot of spices start loosing flavor quickly, but pepper stays strong for a long time. I like danilgrl's idea of making a subsitute out of hot peppers you can produce locally. Before too long I am going to close in my front porch and may make a growing area that I can heat over winter. It would be great to have stuff like that and fresh toms. all year. I think a vine makes great decoration for a room as well!
You know what else would be nice to grow in an enclosed, heated porch? Miniature Mandarin orange trees. You could keep them in pots and set them out through the summer, then bring them in before it frosts. I love those sweet tiny oranges.

Latest posts

Back