Water front property

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
southern appalachians are a long way from coast..but yet they got pounded to death the other day.
Many live on the river. Floods happen where I live and the rivers wipe out the old mill towns. Then everyone talks about rebuilding.
Why?
The Towns are now saying no to the buyouts. Floods happen too often.

Last edited:
I don't believe anyone should be responsible to bail anyone out who loses their property for any reason.
Isn't that what insurance is for? I pay a lot. Had my first claim in 40 years of home ownership this year when a tree crushed my building. My premiums over the year are still more than what I had in damage.

As for coastal or other places that get water damage, I could be persuaded to agree to an insurance 1 TIME payout. After that, you're on your own.

Isn't that what insurance is for? I pay a lot. Had my first claim in 40 years of home ownership this year when a tree crushed my building. My premiums over the year are still more than what I had in damage.

As for coastal or other places that get water damage, I could be persuaded to agree to an insurance 1 TIME payout. After that, you're on your own.
Insurance is different than the taxpayer being forced to pay for someone else's property.

I have seen enough damage by water to want to stay well away from it, But that is my opinion, if I had land near water, I would try to sell it before it isn't sellable

You can buy flood insurance, otherwise you should be on your own. Only the feds sell flood insurance.

We have ocean front property. Tidal surge has flooded us a few times. We never looked to anyone else to help us out. We raised our beach front and road. When we built right on the water we put the house on stilts so now we rarely have a problem.

I would not buy property in a flood zone ( FEMA flood maps) but there are all sorts of natural disasters everywhere and it is difficult to pick a place that has few. All of the west coast has earthquakes and they could potentially have a tsunami, plus wildfires and occasionally when it does rain mudslides, middle has tornadoes, and floods next to rivers, east has hurricanes and floods
If you want to live some place relatively free of natural disasters you could move to Denmark. I don't think I have ever heard of one there

I would not buy property in a flood zone ( FEMA flood maps) but there are all sorts of natural disasters everywhere and it is difficult to pick a place that has few. All of the west coast has earthquakes and they could potentially have a tsunami, plus wildfires and occasionally when it does rain mudslides, middle has tornadoes, and floods next to rivers, east has hurricanes and floods
If you want to live some place relatively free of natural disasters you could move to Denmark. I don't think I have ever heard of one there
Uhmm... Denmark holds the sea back with giant DIKES! That didn't work out so well for New Orleans...

Remember the little Dutch boy. ;) :D

This whole country was defined by; floods, earthquakes, volcanos, ice, landslides etc. Some of these events happen only about every 10,000 years or so. That doesn't mean that it's wise to build on land that hasn't flooded in recorded history. It will again. I built my home at an elevation of 5,000 feet and near the top of a ridge that goes around 3 sides of the house. It's highly unlikely that it'll ever flood at the house. Our biggest threat here is heavy snow and forest fires. Much of our property is covered in lava. Some areas have huge boulders that were blasted out of a volcano many miles away. It's highly unlikely that we'll live to see another eruption, but it is possible. We do have earthquakes here occasionally, nothing like California and Alaska does though.
We're currently looking for property on the coast, not on the ocean but inland a few miles. What we're looking for is a place with a salmon/steelhead stream running through it. Of course all streams on the coast flood, but we aren't ignorant enough to build anywhere close to the stream.

I built my home at an elevation of 5,000 feet and near the top of a ridge that goes around 3 sides of the house. It's highly unlikely that it'll ever flood at the house.
My father was a geological engineer and I still remember him ranting back in the 60's about people building houses in flood plains. He built our house on high ground at the highest point. Then in Camille in 1969, and the Jackson Easter Flood of 1979, those houses he had ranted about all got flooded.
I took it to heart and have always tried to live on high ground.
We bought some riverfront property last year. But where all the buildings are is on high ground sloping away in all directions, and is 100 ft higher than the river.
My wife and daughter both wanted me to build something down by the water and I adamantly refused.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back