Watersheds, rivers, fish and more

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's fine, you can keep linking to short videos showing bare chested healthy-looking young-ish dudes swimming under water. The water looks good, the fish are plentiful.

That's fine, you can keep linking to short videos showing bare chested healthy-looking young-ish dudes swimming under water. The water looks good, the fish are plentiful.
Distracted !!...lol

getting closer...more connection made now !

WOW...just WOW...already seeing the results...read the text below and scroll through these pictures...looks fantastic and functioning even better....its going to be able to bounce back way faster than the Elwha river has because of far less sediment and much more....spawn and run and grow fish !

Years ago here in my area there was a push to replace bridges with huge culverts. A few years back the took them out or massively reworked them. While not a dam. When water was low it essentially blocked the fish movements.

I've spent years doing fisheries projects on the Klamath and it's tributaries...lived in Klamath for a few years too..beautiful country. There are oaks up river a bit..
Not sure how I missed this thread..
Sad to hear they screwed up the spawning grounds..I was there when the water got so low the temps killed fry and alot of restoration work went to crap..for alot of runs..but they recovered eventually. Too bad they didn't put structures in to catch the mud . I Spent alot of miserable days mud bucketing out pits of blue goo from the caltrops screw up on the Klamath bypass hwy project..

Very little silt has gone down the river...water quality is super high even after the last batch of breaking/putting river back in original channel....look for instagram post and guys dived on river filming....very clear..sadly the one guy doing drone filming on youtube has taken down all his video.Right befoire it all went poof he said he had gotten in trouble just from staying in a parking lot..overnight or some such nonsense....anyway....the one biggest slug in spring is gone and then they stocked again as back up......

one thing about these dams...they were going to removed regardless of fish as it was cheaper to tear down than repair so power company was taking them out...its going to happen again on river off to the south ...forget name....eel river maybe...it pumps water through a mtn to russian river...its coming out too per power company...cant afford to fix it...says it take decades to recover cost of upgrades.

The Elwha up on olympic penn was a nasty mess...everything left for a year..including all birds and otters etc. nothing lived...well sorta...it left and came back...but it had huge sediment loads 90 feet deep in places behind dams there...so kalamth has a fraction of silt build up from being smaller and shorter time period.

theres some changes coming up in idaho too....sooner than later.

Going to link a video that came out today on some work thats being done concerning coral reefs. Every little bit helps.....which bring me to this...acting local...my local lake has a program where they bought a bunch of man-made fish habitat structures to sink in the lake.They put many of them close to shore along public access areas so shore fishermen and others can access and benefit without being a boat owner...the rest was put in remote places for boat access only.

There was a local project that was tearing out large load of old concrete so they worked with lake and fish biologists and more to get it so they could use all of this as rubble type of structure for fish to hide in and breed etc same as the ones that were bought only on a much much larger scale. Also since all of this was from public funding and some private donations all of these spots are public knowledge for everyone to use and not be some secret squirrel fishing spots.They also collect christmas trees each year and sink those along public access areas for fish habitat as well.

anyhow mossy earth are working on a good project below

IMG_20240913_092700_MP.jpg
a pair of frogs yesterday I found in the weir of my swimming pool ,had to turn pump off as one frog was trapped in the suction unit got them both out ,it is mating time here at the moment , caught them with a net whilst they went into the pool , released them out in the vacant land behind me , I have 1800 sq mt property

Latest posts

Back