What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Room service tonight. Halibut, salmon, clams and prawns covered in bay shrimp and Dungeness crab.
Watched the sun go down over the ocean while we ate. We have a hot tub and a fireplace in this room. Need to try it out soon.
20240914_195027.jpg

Room service tonight. Halibut, salmon and prawns covered in bay shrimp and Dungeness crab.
Watched the sun go down over the ocean while we ate. We have a hot tub and a fireplace in this room. Need to try it out soon.
View attachment 162269
I hope bacpacker is in bed and doesn't see this!!😮😃

@Mountain trapper did you say it was your anniversary?
Some nice food....I had shrimp, broccoli, rice for dinner.
Our anniversary is coming up on September 22nd. The timing was right for us, we got rid of the cows last week and the snow is still a few weeks away. Plus I'll start trapping in October.
On our way home we'll stop by my sister's and pick up mom and dad.

Went with thick cut pork chops brined in water, brown sugar, salt and peppercorns. Will coat them with a homemade rub when they have soaked for at least 2 hours. Also cut up some brussel sprouts, bacon, onions and mushrooms and put them in a foil pack with a spray of avocado oil, a few pats of butter, and some salt, pepper and garlic powder. I wanted a cantaloupe but none of them looked ripe, so I settled for some really good looking peaches.

Went with thick cut pork chops brined in water, brown sugar, salt and peppercorns. Will coat them with a homemade rub when they have soaked for at least 2 hours. Also cut up some brussel sprouts, bacon, onions and mushrooms and put them in a foil pack with a spray of avocado oil, a few pats of butter, and some salt, pepper and garlic powder. I wanted a cantaloupe but none of them looked ripe, so I settled for some really good looking peaches.
Sounds great! Is there a recipe for quantities? I'd like to try that myself!

That sounds delicious. All we're having is shrimp scampi, clam chowder and a shrimp Cesar salad.
20240915_125925.jpg

Sounds great! Is there a recipe for quantities? I'd like to try that myself!

I eyeball the brine and the seasoning.

The brine is about 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/3 cup salt and 1/4 cup black pepper corns in about 2 cups of water. I get it hot enough to absorb the salt and sugar then add the peppercorns and enough ice to make it about 3-4 cups of liquid. When it's cool I put the chops in a zip lock bag and pour the liquid over them, then into the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Overnight if I plan ahead. When I remove them I pat them totally dry with a paper towel, hit them with some oil, then rub on the seasoning.

The rub is an even mixture of salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and brown sugar. Although I will often add just a little extra garlic powder.

I eyeball the brine and the seasoning.

The brine is about 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/3 cup salt and 1/4 cup black pepper corns in about 2 cups of water. I get it hot enough to absorb the salt and sugar then add the peppercorns and enough ice to make it about 3-4 cups of liquid. When it's cool I put the chops in a zip lock bag and pour the liquid over them, then into the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Overnight if I plan ahead. When I remove them I pat them totally dry with a paper towel, hit them with some oil, then rub on the seasoning.

The rub is an even mixture of salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and brown sugar. Although I will often add just a little extra garlic powder.
Thanks, I'lll give it a go in the near future.

How many chops do you use?

Thanks, I'lll give it a go in the near future.

How many chops do you use?

3-4, depends on the size and thickness. I prefer a bone in thick chop.

I also make a glaze/sauce from time to time that is actually in my BBQ journal:

1 cup BBQ Sauce - I use Sweet Baby Rays
1 cup Brown Sugar
½ cup Pineapple Juice
¼ cup Tennessee Whiskey
2 Tablespoons Minced Onion
3–4 Cloves Minced Garlic
1 Tablespoon Butter

In a small pot melt butter and sauté onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add brown sugar and pineapple juice and bring to a slight boil. Add whiskey and cook at a low boil for 4-5 minutes to evaporate the alcohol. Add vinegar sauce and continue to cook until mixture reduces about 10 minutes stirring occasionally.

Back