What is "The VOID" in prepping currently....???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The void for me is what to do next after awhile. Meaning after a big event. Sure, I have all the stuff I need right now, but where to go forward from there. But there's no way of knowing what you're left with in the world, so that's hard to imagine.

the biggest void in any learning situation is the "this is how we have always done it" mind set when someone show up with an easier way. And of course the "I will just get a horse fantasy"
how about self study, does anyone really know how they will react , went faced with a surprise, like a CME, .........
Sometimes that "easier way" turns out to not provide the benefits first envisioned.

Not a prep/survival thing but where I used to work we had developed a set of procedures that had distilled what we did down to its most streamlined process. A process honed by almost 20 years of experience doing it day in and day out.

Yet every time we got a new boss of some kind they always wanted to change things "for the better". That over the course of their tenure ALWAYS resulted in us going full circle back to where we had been when they arrived. They all thought they had the secret knowledge to improvement and that "the way it was always done" MUST be inherently wrong or inefficient.

Because how could they get an award if all they did was keep things going like they always had.

Funniest situation was when a new boss had a meeting with all of us and started to lay out his plans. He was constantly being interrupted to explain we had already done each new thing he was suggesting over the course of many years and the ideas had been discarded.

The result was that after him, new bosses stopped having meetings with us (I guess the word was passed on) and they just gave orders to change how things were done.

Sometimes that "easier way" turns out to not provide the benefits first envisioned.

Not a prep/survival thing but where I used to work we had developed a set of procedures that had distilled what we did down to its most streamlined process. A process honed by almost 20 years of experience doing it day in and day out.

Yet every time we got a new boss of some kind they always wanted to change things "for the better". That over the course of their tenure ALWAYS resulted in us going full circle back to where we had been when they arrived. They all thought they had the secret knowledge to improvement and that "the way it was always done" MUST be inherently wrong or inefficient.

Because how could they get an award if all they did was keep things going like they always had.

Funniest situation was when a new boss had a meeting with all of us and started to lay out his plans. He was constantly being interrupted to explain we had already done each new thing he was suggesting over the course of many years and the ideas had been discarded.

The result was that after him, new bosses stopped having meetings with us (I guess the word was passed on) and they just gave orders to change how things were done.
When a method has been found to work, through Empirical data , the way we have proven through Empirical data is far different than just doing it the way it has been done.
Having your example shows that sometimes the existing way is the right way, and sometimes it is not

But perhaps the big question, is are the current SHTF plans by design or is it accidentally happening
And then the Void is am I going to be beyond my expiry Date when the world ends,

When a method has been found to work, through Empirical data , the way we have proven through Empirical data is far different than just doing it the way it has been done.
Having your example shows that sometimes the existing way is the right way, and sometimes it is not
And shows that a new boss will always try to make changes just for change sake, to get noticed for "improving" things.

Often followed by the next boss changing things back to exactly the way they were before...to again "improve" things.

But perhaps the big question, is are the current SHTF plans by design or is it accidentally happening
And then the Void is am I going to be beyond my expiry Date when the world ends,
NOTHING happening now is "accidentally happening".

NOTHING happening now is "accidentally happening".
you know that, I know that , but not everyone knows that, and they seem to have to learn it on their own , kind of like the new bosses you spoke of.

there are probably several , but No one has said who, this was discussed on a survival skill thread quite some time ago
I had to look up what that was. Ha! We used to do that as kids and try to trick one another saying we found it, it's "real." 😂 I have no ide who here does that.

I had to look up what that was. Ha! We used to do that as kids and try to trick one another saying we found it, it's "real." 😂 I have no ide who here does that.
SHE likes to tease you about things or not things

Which is really kind of useless information, as it's not like she will be sending you some via the mail if shtf.

It is far more important that you learn the skill. Though even that is only important if you live in an area with access to flint to chip.

Wasn't picking on you, simply used your post to make my point.

Last edited:
you know that, I know that , but not everyone knows that, and they seem to have to learn it on their own , kind of like the new bosses you spoke of.
You can tell the ones who haven't learned it because they constantly harp about, "how can the people in charge be so stupid?".

Which is really kind of useless information, as it's not like she will be sending you some via the mail if shtf.

It is far more important that you learn the skill. Though even that is only important if you live in an area with access to flint to chip.

Wasn't picking on you, simply used your post to make my point.
Oh, I have ways. There will still be carrier pigeons you know. She can figure out a way to fill my order 😂

We have a show on some tv network named "alone", it is a real story of survival like what happens when your home and property are overrun by people who will take it all kill you if the catch you and burn what they do not use as the sweep through the land.

This is what the commercial, conventional "prepper" idea misses.

Shelter, water, food, healthcare. are the things a person needs to absolutely be able to forage daily to survive.

You need to know what you can eat EXACTLY in any area you happen to be, you need to know how to obtain water and how to fabricate shelter that will keep you alive in heat, cold, dry, wet, and dangerous weather situations.

You need to be able to fend off attacking animals and use the rest to survive

But you need to know what tools you MUST have to maintain this life for as long as you live, not by carrying around a wagon full of jars of canned food/

I hope everyone will be able to shelter in place when the SHTF but at best I see that as a temporary condition.

One thing I think will absolutely be a must is a stock of seeds that produce a stock of varied foods in all climates and soil types.

Hopefully you find that mountain pass and build your heavy A frame moss covered cabin, and you can at least have some producing plants and dry enough to tide you over a while.

Why the lack of straight forward truth.

Because prepping has become a business. And in a business you want as many potential customers as possible.

But the truth is, most people can't be preppers.

What is essentially a hobby adjacent to our way of life for some....would require such a radical restructuring of most people's lives as to be impossible.

So the fact that there is a 'wrong way to prep' is suppressed, and right way is dumbed down and made vague enough that most people can pretend to do it.

Because prepping has become a business. And in a business you want as many potential customers as possible.

What is essentially a hobby adjacent to our way of life for some....would require such a radical restructuring of most people's lives as to be impossible.

So the fact that there is a 'wrong way to prep' is suppressed, and right way is dumbed down and made vague enough that most people can pretend to do it.
I guess we are guilty of that. :(
Since we are 'hurricaners' we prep, (everyone down here does). But nowhere near SD's level to be certified, by living life every day to prove it.
No, we don't cook every meal on a charcoal grill in the back yard, but we could if needed.
We don't have solar panels or a 'whole-house' generator, just a small one to run the fridges and freezer and living room.
And when a spinny-thing blows thru, I am amazed at the neighbors that show up on our front porch offering help. 😍

100% spot-on "The TRUTH".
Self-inflicted delusional delayed suicide.

I answered in earnest with no response while the bickering played on.
Discouraging to even bother thinking on it &/or posting 😒

Does it even matter if people who have been herded into believing information about prepping, were intentionally deceived.....??? I suspect it does not matter. The "END RESULT" is the same.

So for me the void is pretty obvious. Our current situation in society is a complete lack of community building. When you build a community around you and share knowledge, the void looses its grip. I can garden and fill a pantry to the gills all the while baking and cooking up a storm. I also just happen to be an engineer and specialize in problem solving on making water drinkable and wastewater go where it needs to. I’ve learned how to do all kinds of facility repairs from basic carpentry and electrical to tile work and plumbing. My husband can fix small engines in his sleep and has mad chimney and wood stove maintenance and repair skills. My boys know how to work. Like really work, they know what blisters feel like and understand the value of the hard work and learning how to do new things every day. One neighbor is a wood worker who can use hand tools as well as power tools. Another does competitive shooting and does all his own reloading and weapon maintenance. Another is a retired millwright who can make anything out of metal. We all share our knowledge freely and help each other at the drop of a hat. It’s our own community and we will do just fine no matter the circumstances. The void can only be filled by actively seeking out skills and sharing your knowledge with those you can trust to be there in your time of need and you darn well better go help them when they need it! Books and information can only get you so far. Actually learning and using skills that take time and effort to develop is how a prepper becomes a fully rounded sufficient unit. And “self sufficient “ is really a poor term, we do better in tough times when we have a core of people in our corner.

Ok off the soap box. Gotta go make some soap to put in it!

I am going to say that what @ Bluedanube just posted is the void, I have been injecting comments about it for almost ever, @ Tommyice even saw fir to use some of my "wisdom' as her signature line.
You need skills , and a lot of practical knowledge, or at least applied knowledge to make it.

Solar & electric use have been add in the last sixty years for prepping, but we need to look for better ways to improve our chances of life after the fall.

the biggest void in any learning situation is the "this is how we have always done it" mind set when someone show up with an easier way. And of course the "I will just get a horse fantasy"
how about self study, does anyone really know how they will react , went faced with a surprise, like a CME, .........
I agree, I have been using fire to cook for over forty year, never crossed my mind there is a better way. You have wood everywhere & starting a fire is simple most of the time.
Then came the solar oven & sun tea, never cross my mind there was another way.
Lesson learned, look for a different or better way, be open to new thing.
Wind power may not make energy free, but it has helped man for thousand of years.

there are probably several , but No one has said who, this was discussed on a survival skill thread quite some time ago
I have no deal, but I saw a man make an arrowhead out of a soda bottle once.
I have an anvil & hammer, so I would make steel arrowhead first, but knowing how to make stone heads would work to.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back