What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check your altitude first. Up to 1500 ft above sea level is 10# pressure. I was slightly over that and everything was getting a scorched taste at 15#. Life is good using 10#. Corn cob stock is one of the items that scorched easily.
We’re at 6000’ here. 15# is required!

Calling @snappy1 and @ClemKadiddlehopper

Processed 18 pints of tomato sauce (tomatoes, onions, peppers, seasonings) at 35 minutes appropriate pressure for my altitude last night. Roiling away on the counter when I went to bed. There was siphoning but this morning was when I saw how much. I’m thinking the sauce might not have been hot enough when it went into jars. I used the electric roaster at 250-300 degrees while filling the jars. Do you think I should reprocess?

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpeg
    IMG_0014.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
If the jars sealed, you are good. keep an eye on them to make sure they stay sealed due to possible sauce in the seal. Re process if in doubt about that.

The temperature of the sauce going into the canner isn't really relevant. Everything warms up during the 10 minute venting process and subsequent building to pressure before starting the timer. Just be sure the steam column is good and strong for 10 min. The steam can be hard to see and rate so venting an extra 5 minutes won't hurt.

The siphoning is much more likely to have been caused by inconsistent pressure during the actual timing process.

Not letting the canner quite cool enough before removing the lid and/or the weight. Give it at least 10 minutes after cooling down to 0 pressure.

Occasionally, siphoning can happen due to incorrect tighting of the lids but it's not much of a concern.

#1 cause is usually, not enough head room

Last edited:
If the jars sealed, you are good. keep an eye on them to make sure they stay sealed due to possible sauce in the seal. Re process if in doubt about that.

The temperature of the sauce going into the canner isn't really relevant. Everything warms up during the 10 minute venting process and subsequent building to pressure before starting the timer. Just be sure the steam column is good and strong for 10 min. The steam can be hard to see and rate so venting an extra 5 minutes won't hurt.

The siphoning is much more likely to have been caused by inconsistent pressure during the actual timing process.

Not letting the canner quite cool enough before removing the lid and/or the weight. Give it at least 10 minutes after cooling down to 0 pressure.

Occasionally, siphoning can happen due to incorrect tighting of the lids but it's not much of a concern.

#1 cause is usually, not enough head room
Thank you for your reply. The recipe called for 1/2” I thought that might have been too little.

I keep an eagle eye on all my home canned stuff. When I’m in the basement during laundry, I tap on all the jar lids on a shelf or two checking.

Calling @snappy1 and @ClemKadiddlehopper

Processed 18 pints of tomato sauce (tomatoes, onions, peppers, seasonings) at 35 minutes appropriate pressure for my altitude last night. Roiling away on the counter when I went to bed. There was siphoning but this morning was when I saw how much. I’m thinking the sauce might not have been hot enough when it went into jars. I used the electric roaster at 250-300 degrees while filling the jars. Do you think I should reprocess?
It looks fine to me! Maybe a little more headspace in the future, but they will be good.

I watched something really cool today. Our Amish neighbors had this giant field of something I didn't know what it was , neither did husband, so we asked. It was sorghum. They have been cutting it down by hand for a week at least. Now they are making molasses out of it. They put the stalks through this machine with gears to press out the juice, the juice runs in a pvc pipe to a large metal rectangual container ( I mean large, like 10 x 20 ft or more) , they move the container inside a building with a chimney to cook it , and then they put it in barrels and from there put it in jars to sell. They gave us one, half pound of mollases. I am not sure how I will use it, usually I only use molasses if the goats gets sick and dehydrated.
Maybe cookies? Either way, I have never seen anything like it. Our old neighbors didn't do that

Back