What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My oldest boy is currently canning 14 lbs of beef and 12 lbs of pork roasts in pints. He starts a new job at the end of the month on a trail crew and will be living in a town with almost no services and no groceries. The power can be sketchy also so expensive meats are safest in jars and easier to make into his favorite food group of tacos🤣. He will probably be home on most of his days off at first since we are only about an hour and half away and he can grocery shop in the basement and garden and do laundry.

IMG_3206.jpeg
His finished product. 15 pints of pork and 17 pints of beef. This was the first pressure canning operation he has done by himself. He has done a ton of waterbath/steam canning on his own but the pressure canner hasn’t really been a thing because I usually do it at night just before bed so I am not tempted to open it too quickly and end up with siphoning. I have worked hard to teach both boys how to be self sufficient before they get turned out into the wild. I think this may be an indication that I may be on the right track.

OMGoodness, You should be very proud of your boy @Bluedanube and he should be happy that you were there along the way to teach him! I learned how to can out of a book. Once I got confortable with the waterbath method, I went to pressure canning. I wish I had a mentor to teach me the how to's.

Trivia...
At one time I had a wife that was as skilled, experienced, and knowledgeable as any degreed master canner, preserver.. In that area she was quite the ..go to.. person for information and all manor of help with canning, preserving.. So, I have seen how valuable a good mentor is in how fast and well people learn, use and retain skills...

During covid, when jars, lids and other consumable supplies were short, expensive, and hard to obtain.. The reusable lids, seals became more popular as they were more obtainable at the time.. She counseled, and was a valuable trouble shooter for many on using these products to good success..

Trivia...
At one time I had a wife that was as skilled, experienced, and knowledgeable as any degreed master canner, preserver.. In that area she was quite the ..go to.. person for information and all manor of help with canning, preserving.. So, I have seen how valuable a good mentor is in how fast and well people learn, use and retain skills...

During covid, when jars, lids and other consumable supplies were short, expensive, and hard to obtain.. The reusable lids, seals became more popular as they were more obtainable at the time.. She counseled, and was a valuable trouble shooter for many on using these products to good success..
I got a bunch of reusable lids and once I got the lid tool, they work well.

Last week I did up Apple Butter, got 4 half pints .
5 half pints of apple syrup.(will try to redo to make apple jelly).
6 pints of Italian Wedding soup.
Thinking about blueberry pie filling because I want to use up some of the blueberries in the freezer.
Just found a recipe for blueberry butter.
It's supposed to be like Apple Butter.
But made with blueberries instead.

Stopped in at a Costco in southern Utah while doing our spring break trip. They had cases of ball pint jars for $9. I now have a few in the trailer. Why the heck doesn’t my home Costco have them?????
I have asked this question while at a Costco. Do they have this? No, but that store does. Each store gets things that is determined by headquarters and they do not all get the same things.

Last week I did up Apple Butter, got 4 half pints .
5 half pints of apple syrup.(will try to redo to make apple jelly).
6 pints of Italian Wedding soup.
Thinking about blueberry pie filling because I want to use up some of the blueberries in the freezer.
Just found a recipe for blueberry butter.
It's supposed to be like Apple Butter.
But made with blueberries instead.
Oh that blueberry butter sounds awesome. And ours are starting to come in

26.5 qrts. green tomatoe salsa.
When I lived ...in bush... I helped make Chow Chow from the recipe that came to Nova Scotia from Scotland...
Green tomatoes
green apples
onion
vinegar brine for pickles

Grind tomatoes, apples, onion, add spice brine, cook, can ....enjoy...
===
I have to think either a Saskatoon berry, or honey berry curd would be good as they are such a close cousin to a blueberry.... ??
Experience, facts, details, ideas, thoughts... ??

"it."

Latest posts

Back