What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
13 half pints of cheese sauce. 7 pints of blackberry lemonade concentrate.

Attachments

• 20240724_150828.jpg
    20240724_150828.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240724_150016.jpg
    20240724_150016.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 0
Canned 4 batches of Jazzy's sausage and eggs. (40 pints) Added onions and peppers as well. I had huge bowls of eggs and didn't want to freeze dry them this time. I have enough sausage mix left for another batch as soon as I accumulate some more eggs.
I missed something - this sounds awesome. Do you have a quick link? I will begin hunting.
ETA: Found it 😁

Taste/texture test tomorrow. I used some hot Italian and garlic sausage mixed. It looks kind of funky. Like caramel egg custard with tapioca in it. It better be good because we are eating it one way or another and there is lots of it.
Oh keep us posted. Maybe eggs in separate jars from sausage and mix when ready to eat.

This didn't work for us. Not surprisingly, the eggs are way over cooked like caramelized foam. I don't recommend canning eggs. I will just freeze dry the sausage mix and eggs separately for longer term and make omlets fresh for now.

To speed up fresh omlets, one could just freeze portion sized cooked sausage mix.

This didn't work for us. Not surprisingly, the eggs are way over cooked like caramelized foam. I don't recommend canning eggs. I will just freeze dry the sausage mix and eggs separately for longer term and make omlets fresh for now.

To speed up fresh omlets, one could just freeze portion sized cooked sausage mix.
Sorry that it didn't work out deliciously, but thank you for letting us know.

The ingredient with the longest processing time, is the time you use for the recipe. Make up the recipe you have in mind.
That’s what I was thinking—just like making a vegetable soup with only green beans and tomatoes and no broth.

Last week was applesauce and apple butter. Yum. This week … not sure. I need to hit Costco and that might chew up my preserving time.

That said, I saw very inexpensive cherry tomatoes at Sprouts … maybe I’ll get some to throw on the dehydrator. That’s less time-consuming than canning.

Edit: okay, so Sprouts is doing … flash sales?? … on produce. They were 98¢ yesterday for some pints of cherry tomatoes and today they were back up to $3. For the same tomatoes. Weeeird. The checkers were talking about it at the register — today was various berries and such.

Last edited:
Last week was applesauce and apple butter. Yum. This week … not sure. I need to hit Costco and that might chew up my preserving time.

That said, I saw very inexpensive cherry tomatoes at Sprouts … maybe I’ll get some to throw on the dehydrator. That’s less time-consuming than canning.

Edit: okay, so Sprouts is doing … flash sales?? … on produce. They were 98¢ yesterday for some pints of cherry tomatoes and today they were back up to $3. For the same tomatoes. Weeeird. The checkers were talking about it at the register — today was various berries and such.
Too bad you don't live near me, I'd give you buckets of cherry tomatoes

I don't can, its not a thing over here, but I did process all the cooking apples yesterday. Stewed into containers and some pies. Also made roasted tomato soup and a vegetable soup.
So does anyone preserve their harvest or does your greenhouse grow year around or . . .?

Garden is cranking now, we have a mess of blackberries, gold raspberry, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, tomatillo, and other stuff. Lots of stone fruits on the upswing also. We filled the dehydrators with fruit leather this morning. I have the third batch of tallow cooking down from our beef butchered in the spring, we had ground it up but hadn’t processed it yet. Need the space in the freezer for any game the menfolk get this fall so making the tallow was an easy way to make space. Once the tallow is done I think I’ll do something with tomato’s. I’m glad it’s a bit cooler and less smoky for doing food preservation!
IMG_3631.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3630.jpeg
    IMG_3630.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Back