What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I guess I'm not understanding your cattle breeding issues. The trees and such are confusing me. Do you use artifical, or do you have a heard bull/ bulls?
We have been artificial only for probably close to 18 years if not longer. Not sure what year we started now.
The trees cause issues with the heat detection aid patches we use to help with heat detecting ones that are sneaky. Think a lottery scratcher on the top of their bum. When another cow mounts them when they are in heat it rubs off the silver covering and shows the bright color of the actual tag. I can generally tell quite a bit about the heat or lack there of with them when they work right. In this case it was a cross between the trees scratching off the “scratcher top” when they itches their bums and went under branches and they are all VERY early shedding and the trees took the tags off. So the shedding just made it very hard to have the tags stay on well.

We have been artificial only for probably close to 18 years if not longer. Not sure what year we started now.
The trees cause issues with the heat detection aid patches we use to help with heat detecting ones that are sneaky. Think a lottery scratcher on the top of their bum. When another cow mounts them when they are in heat it rubs off the silver covering and shows the bright color of the actual tag. I can generally tell quite a bit about the heat or lack there of with them when they work right. In this case it was a cross between the trees scratching off the “scratcher top” when they itches their bums and went under branches and they are all VERY early shedding and the trees took the tags off. So the shedding just made it very hard to have the tags stay on well.

Wow thats a lot to keep up with. When we had cattle (many years ago)we always had a herd bull and just keep the cows in with him for several days and would try and keep an eye on them as best we could. But it was nothing exacting like what you describe.
I've wondered about AI in regards to starting a small herd if we ever get another place.

Wow thats a lot to keep up with. When we had cattle (many years ago)we always had a herd bull and just keep the cows in with him for several days and would try and keep an eye on them as best we could. But it was nothing exacting like what you describe.
I've wondered about AI in regards to starting a small herd if we ever get another place.
Having bulls is generally far easier for breeding season. However we have a neighbor that does not help maintain the fences (his cattle break in several times a year on average) and brings in hundreds of open feeder heifers multiple times a year. It is top priority for us that our livestock never getting out. We made the decision that there was no way we would be able to keep a bulls fenced in this situation. So went to Repro school and focused on that. It’s nice because while breeding season can be more work the rest of the year is no issue. Don’t have to feed bulls and maintain a bull pasture in the off season. Don’t have to worry about inbreeding either. Plus AI gives us so many more bull options. Bulls we could never afford otherwise.

Download the CHIRP software, then you can customize all you want.

Are those unlocked?
I will download the CHIRP. I don't know if they are unlocked. Between Amazon and the BaofengTech website neither mentioned anything about the radios being unlocked, on any of the models I looked at. If I had seen "unlocked" somewhere I would have leaned in that direction.

Having bulls is generally far easier for breeding season. However we have a neighbor that does not help maintain the fences (his cattle break in several times a year on average) and brings in hundreds of open feeder heifers multiple times a year. It is top priority for us that our livestock never getting out. We made the decision that there was no way we would be able to keep a bulls fenced in this situation. So went to Repro school and focused on that. It’s nice because while breeding season can be more work the rest of the year is no issue. Don’t have to feed bulls and maintain a bull pasture in the off season. Don’t have to worry about inbreeding either. Plus AI gives us so many more bull options. Bulls we could never afford otherwise.

And your not giving your irresponsible neighbor free breeding on his heifers.

I never understood farmers that didn't maintain their fence. That was always a high priority for us.
Not having to feed and maintain a bull would reduce cost for sure. And the ability to keep a varied bloodline would be huge. We were always selling and buying bulls every few years. And that was sometimes a hit and miss thing too.

I never understood farmers that didn't maintain their fence. That was always a high priority for us.
Not having to feed and maintain a bull would reduce cost for sure. And the ability to keep a varied bloodline would be huge. We were always selling and buying bulls every few years. And that was sometimes a hit and miss thing too.

I don’t get it either. Very high priority for us.
I like AI work. I’m not sure it would be worth it if not doing it on site ourselves. It is “more” work at breeding time but so worth it to us. Plus top $ at market. Only “60 days” a year do we have to deal with it so it’s a good trade off for us. But it does get tiring. They have fantastic synchronization protocols now that are incredibly effective. Far different than when we started and much easier.

Well, 3 pages of posts since I was here last. I will go back and read them tomorrow night or Monday but.......
Spent a couple days in Vegas to hang with my son and take him to practice and his basketball game. Gas prices in Vegas ranged from about $4.30 to $4.60 for the cheap stuff and about $4.80 to $5.20 for diesel. NOT A TYPO, I saw nothing less than $4.30 a gallon, and that was the 85 octane., which is fine for cheap engines in higher elevations where you don't need the higher octane levels.
I hit the gas station at the reservation in Utah and their prices were 87 octane for $3.66, 89 for $3.80, and 91 for $3.94, and diesel was $4.24. Ugh.

On the way home I stopped at Auto Zone to get antifreeze and oil to work on my truck tomorrow. The do not have ANY 15w-40 for diesel engines. It was too late to go to another store so I came home and checked online. Costco has 15w-40 conventional dinosaur oil, 3 gallons for $40. O'Reillly's has Shell T6 synthetic heavy duty for $32 a gallon, and I need 3 gallons for an oil change. $96 just for one oil change!!!!! And, the store close to me doesn't have it so I have to drive across town to the other store.
Soooo, will I buy the dyno oil from Costco for $40 or pay $96 for the synthetic? Woooo-OOOO-ooooo, only the Shadow knows. Who am I kidding, probably going to Costco and getting 2 cases to make sure I have some for the next oil change because who knows how this year will turn out.

I am tired, it's been a long couple of days. Shower, bourbon, and bed time for me. Night night.
:mad:o_O:mad:o_O:mad:

We are surrounded by open range. The owners of the forest service lease boarding our land are not required to repair any fences. I have miles of fence that I have to maintain if I want to keep their cattle off our property. Every year their cattle get mixed in with ours or our cattle get out. We usually wait until fall and get them all sorted out. Bulls are always fighting and tearing up fences. A couple years ago we had to put one of our registered bulls down after getting in a fight with a range bull.

We are surrounded by open range. The owners of the forest service lease boarding our land are not required to repair any fences. I have miles of fence that I have to maintain if I want to keep their cattle off our property. Every year their cattle get mixed in with ours or our cattle get out. We usually wait until fall and get them all sorted out. Bulls are always fighting and tearing up fences. A couple years ago we had to put one of our registered bulls down after getting in a fight with a range bull.
Wow so much differentbfrom aroundbhere

Wow so much differentbfrom aroundbhere
Every winter I leave our gates open. Usually around late February our cattle decide to go on a walkabout. Last year I found them about 6 miles down the county road. They eventually find out that there isn't any grass and will come back home when they get hungry.

Well it's a bright Sunday morning, so the typical church in the morning then work in the garden in the afternoon. Looking forward to seeing the first real harvest out of the garden today, that will be fun.

I am in the process of cutting out all the parts to support my updated solar array, I am painting all the wood as I go so it will last a little longer.

Update: Went outside and it's raining... stupid weather man..

Last edited:
Pick a church service to watch, the new neighborhood church has their first service today, hopefully they will stream it. Fundraiser tonight for the horse therapy place my DW Lori volunteers at, and where she "rescued" her horse. It was "adopted", but after the vet and farrier visits, it's "rescued". Anything further would have to go in "Rant of the Day"

A houseful of guests still here today, but nephew, his wife, and daughter go back to OK late morning. Will be making a big breakfast in a bit for everyone. Packing up a barn kitten (one of the stinky brothers) for the great niece to bring home to OK, and packing up the 17 chicks I hatched out for nephew because he needs more chickens this year. Loaded the incubator with the turkey eggs I did have, and have a little more room to throw in some chicken eggs in a few days so they'll hatch at the same time. Weather turned again, 26 out right now, and possible snow this afternoon. Sister from Florida here still till tomorrow night. We have paperwork to go through to get mom into the assisted living apartment in a few weeks. Moving her and furniture will not be fun.

Our daughter went with us to see our puppy on Friday. She ended up buying a 12 week old female puppy.
20220305_215855.jpg

Nice video! I want to start making videos of homesteading and cooking etc. My dad bought me a camera last fall so I could and my sister helped me get back up batteries and another SD card today before prices increase.

We have a library in our house. The room literally houses nothing but books. We have so many; it was always going to be a project to make an inventory list of them all, but. . . .2000+ books and we haven't built up the ambition to do it yet.

Thank you. Making the videos is the easy part. Editing sometimes takes a while but that last video didn't give me much trouble so maybe I finally learned something. I was gonna make a video today changing the thermostat and flushing the cooling system on my truck but seeing the shortage of diesel oil I decided I needed to make a run to Costco and get some before it's too late. That, and it's cold today I kinda don't want to play with water outside.

The sooner you get to cataloging those books the sooner it will get done. Do you have the organized? I would suggest either alphabetically or sort into categories then alphabetically. Any chance you have some young helpers? You can sort them into groups and they can put them in order. One quick though, if you are gonna type the titles into the computer to print out a list make a copy of the list then occasionally when you get a chance search the older ones online and see if they have any value then update the list with important notes about those books so later on the next people wont just toss them or donate them thinking they are worthless.

Decided I had nothing to loose going to the mint section and oops! There’s a mint I don’t have! Strawberry mint. Smells like heaven! Hopefully it will dry well and make a good tea syrup 🤤
Oh wow, that sounds heavenly! I've never heard of strawberry mint. There's a neat little nursery in Athens OH (Companion Plants) that I try to make yearly pilgrimages to, and they have sooo many different mint varieties, it's just mind-boggling. I'm going to have to tell them about strawberry mint and see if they can track that down! lol

Recovering from having a nice piece of titanium jewelry screwed into C6-C7 cervical spine. Such a good decision. I forgot sleep could be so good.
Wow, glad you have that surgery in the rearview mirror! Glad it's helping you already, and hope you completely heal soon!

Did a kit count/check this morning. My Rex doe has not kindled yet. She has plucked some fur but her box is kit-less. I checked on the other doe and her kits. They are fat and happy. They look a tad bigger and they have dog piled more than yesterday. I was right. We will have a solid black AND a solid blue kit. Seems they are otters and I was only seeing one kit's back while the other was giving me their belly when I was checking on them yesterday. Hopefully they all have Rex coats. They are 1/8 New Zealand so there is the odd chance they won't.

Yes, I am excited about being a 'rabbit mama'.

Even if they are food!

There's a YouTuber I watch who often says "stay busy." Simple words, but they help me. With so much bearing down on us personally, not to mention all the stuff going on in the world, it's so easy for my thoughts to take me to scary places. I can't do anything to solve the scary stuff, but I can keep busy - and it feels so much better to be busy than to be afraid.

So that's what I'm doing today - staying busy.
The canner is going non-stop. I ordered a bunch of #10 cans of tomato sauce from Sams (can't get them in the store) for $3.62 each (they're equivalent to 6+ "regular" cans), and I'm re-canning the contents into mason jars.
Also working on cutting up whole chickens into parts the way we use them, packing them via a FoodSaver, plus making and canning stock.
Making a run to the box store for more flooring - we cleared them out last time we were there, but they've gotten more in.
And in general trying to purge out things, packing up donation boxes.

Have a good Sunday, everyone!

Latest posts

Back