What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So does anyone else just spur of the moment buy a bunch of baby chicks? No? Just me?

Not as bad as it sounds..I was planning on acquiring some new heritage breeds to add to the flock for size and resilience. Just didn't expect it to be this morning lol. Guess I better get the brooder area set up quick before I go get them.
Not lately but every time I see some, I take a pix and send it to Hubby usually with some sort of caption such as, "Do you see what I see?" or "Cheap Chirps at Checkout." You know, subtle hints to keep him scared 😇

Meet Tracker. He's 4 weeks old.
20220304_155753.jpg

Today was shopping day. We hit Tractor Supply and picked up things we need before inflation hits. Was really happy, too, because we found what we needed in the clearanced aisle. Woot woot!

We also needed a new toilet seat, sorry if that TMI, and Value had one clearanced one left for $9!

Went to the Communist Warehouse a.k.a Walmart. Spent more than I would have liked, though no prices went up since last time we were in there. Mom faired better than I did and spent less than $50 but got a nice amount; I needed some more expensive stuff.

I also bought a new bible because my cat got mad at me the other night and somehow got a hold of my old one and chewed up the beginning of Isaiah. I really liked that Bible, too. It's still usable, minus about twenty pages or so.

He's been irreligious from his kitten-hood.

View attachment 81609View attachment 81608

And here's a picture of my little familiar.

View attachment 81610
Well, it is a black cat :brewing:. Meet Miyako and Zuri:

20220303_221751.jpeg

I am getting close to declaring this collection or comic books abandoned and selling them off.

View attachment 81550

How many years has to pass before declaring stuff abandoned?

Ben
Some comic books have very very nice price attached to them,
Might check the value of them.
I know # 1 Howdy Doody comic book went for over $3000 last month.

Last edited:
I think I got a compliment from 9 year old grandson.
Seems "I'm the BOMB".
I have all the old orginal game systems.
I had one hooked up so he could have something to do at my house.
Doctor's appointment for follow up of medical incident at Thanksgiving- Doctor cancelled.
Had to go today to different Clinic in next town over for second Shingle shot.
Haven't seen my Primary Care Doctor in person since before COVID 19 crap started.
Primary Care Doctor got her evaluation she wasn't happy with it.
I filled out my survey before Thanksgiving incident.
Hmmm.....
Lots of Female Veterans unhappy with her services.
So I received another survey to fill out today.
She has 90 days to get better review from her patients.

Last edited:
I glad today was the end of the week. By COB I was worn out from arguing with people about stupid stuff. It has been a long crappy day... Then I heard a buzzing from out doors, my inverter was showing a fault... The batteries were at 13V and charging off the solar and there was no load on the inverter, it just decided to go south... It really ticks me off; now I need to find a new inverter and I am tired of having things fail so quickly (2 weeks). Has anyone had any good luck with an inverter brand? In the mean time I have connected a cheapo Harbor freight 2000 watt modified sign inverter because I had it on the shelf.

Recovering from having a nice piece of titanium jewelry screwed into C6-C7 cervical spine. Such a good decision. I forgot sleep could be so good.
Yikes. Glad surgery went ok and that you are sleeping better. Hope you heal up quickly!

Awe, I hope Boo gets better. How old is he? My Murdoch is 12.5. He was sneezing and acting like he didn't feel right, but he's doing better now.
Boo is about 12-1/2 as well. He's a fluffy ball of love. He was feeling a little better today. Still not eating enough but he drank water and he came and sat with me and seemed more perky. I had to go to the bathroom (which is in Mom's room). I asked him if he wanted "to go see Mommy". He chirped at me and ran ahead of me to her door. Gave him his last dose of oral meds today. He went back outside after nibbling on some canned food. Hopefully he'll come back in soon. Puppies are inside so they won't bother him out there though.
Well, it is a black cat :brewing:. Meet Miyako and Zuri:

View attachment 81623
<3 <3 <3
I love cats but I have a particular fondness of black cats. We have 4 of them. Boo (our oldest cat who is fluffy-- I think called chantilly), Yasuke, Namir, and Temjin. I need a better pic of Temjin. She chewed her fur off so she looks almost bald. Got Lysine treats on the way.

Grimm, glad the does are feeling better.

I unjammed float lever a couple times today, gave Boo meds, fed kitties, walked puppies, went to Samsclub for groceries, and cleaned up after the puppies. My brother cooked for Mom but I will have to get her more food in awhile. It's Friday so she won't eat meat.

I'm still trying to pick a good paint for my bedroom door. I want something easy to clean that will resist scratches. I want to go with white since I don't think any other color would really look right for the house. I have exterior paint down at the workshop. I suppose I could use that. I should probably have enough to do 2 doors. I just remembered that.

Don't mind me, brain is all over the place today. I woke up feeling like garbage but am feeling fine now.

Meet Tracker. He's 4 weeks old.
View attachment 81618
Great name.
So does anyone else just spur of the moment buy a bunch of baby chicks? No? Just me?

Not as bad as it sounds..I was planning on acquiring some new heritage breeds to add to the flock for size and resilience. Just didn't expect it to be this morning lol. Guess I better get the brooder area set up quick before I go get them.
Yeah, I got six the other day and had sworn I was only going to hatch from now on. Then I saw how we are going to be without food soon, so I panick bought.

Recovering from having a nice piece of titanium jewelry screwed into C6-C7 cervical spine. Such a good decision. I forgot sleep could be so good.

AK I sure pray you heal fully and quickly.
My wife broke her neck at C6/C7, they fused hers from the rear. Few years later everything above the graft had deteriorated. Ended up putting in a titanium cage from C2 to C6. That helped her a lot.

Busy day at work trying to catch up from a 3 day class. Got home and built my 3rd raised bed. Put down cardboard from last years row of beds wide enough for the row to walk and the row of beds. Then got the beds put in place. Finished that and got all the tools and stuff put up by about 8. Got a quick shower and ate supper. I am pooped

As an aside, anyone in Central Louisiana area want 2 male hound pups? LOL.
Might do a search for a hound rescue in the area. If they are a good match, they will even transport them to folks who are looking for that specific breed. I think it's a great system & have only heard positive about it. If the pups don't work out, they take them back so they don't get dumped elsewhere.

Yeah, I got six the other day and had sworn I was only going to hatch from now on. Then I saw how we are going to be without food soon, so I panick bought.
Kinda my reasoning too. Like @Mountain trapper I have meat chicks on order and some heritage. But when I was offered these this morning because the original buyer fell through, I was like chicks in my possession now are are lot more of a sure thing than a long distant pre order considering how things in the world are going there days.

Kinda my reasoning too. Like @Mountain trapper I have meat chicks on order and some heritage. But when I was offered these this morning because the original buyer fell through, I was like chicks in my possession now are are lot more of a sure thing than a long distant pre order considering how things in the world are going there days.
Quite literally "A bird in hand. . ."

We're still getting single didget temps right now, and possibly for another month or so. Our chicks should start arriving sometime in May. Any sooner and it could be too cold for brooding. Our honey bees will be ready for pickup in April.

AK I sure pray you heal fully and quickly.
My wife broke her neck at C6/C7, they fused hers from the rear. Few years later everything above the graft had deteriorated. Ended up putting in a titanium cage from C2 to C6. That helped her a lot.

Busy day at work trying to catch up from a 3 day class. Got home and built my 3rd raised bed. Put down cardboard from last years row of beds wide enough for the row to walk and the row of beds. Then got the beds put in place. Finished that and got all the tools and stuff put up by about 8. Got a quick shower and ate supper. I am pooped

that sounds terrible! I’m so happy to hear she is better now! Mine wasn’t a break, just herniated disc, but it had cut off all the nerves to my arms so Ive been numb to the fingertips for two years.it fixed all of that on the first night, so blessed. Until recently they always went through the back and it created a lot of problems. Just had my second decompression done on L5 S1 lower back and it’s because they go through the back, always ends up needing to be done more than once. Thank you for the prayers!! Blessings to you!

We're still getting single didget temps right now, and possibly for another month or so. Our chicks should start arriving sometime in May. Any sooner and it could be too cold for brooding. Our honey bees will be ready for pickup in April.

- 13 here today. Just stick them in confined area with a 12 volt heating plate and a well covered hot water bottle, in a room with a wood stove. Worked well for me in the past.

- 13 here today. Just stick them in confined area with a 12 volt heating plate and a well covered hot water bottle, in a room with a wood stove. Worked well for me in the past.
Two years ago we brooded our chickens in my fur shed. They made such a mess that I'll never do it again. Last year I built a brooder building that we'll put some of the chickens in. Then I'll divide the wood shed in 3 sections for brooding the quail and chuckers. We'll be out of firewood by the time they arrive.

Sitting here sipping coffee on this grey dreary looking morning.
Have some laundry to do up.
Will have to cook today.
Will ponder on what to cook.
Need to clean out Dad's refrig. today.
Fix him something instead of Vegan stuff.
Tomorrow is Dad's birthday.
We will have to walk today.
We will also discuss books.
He'll have to check out Craig's List Kansas City.
He's still looking at trucks.

Dripping coffee , looking out window at beautiful sunshine, watching Eli destroy wife's house shoe.

Gonna be busy today.
Gotta go pickup my oldest granddaughter, drive an hour to Murray KY, helping her look at buying a car she needs to drive back and forth to college in Murray.

Then late this afternoon , my good friends son is coming over to pick up a tv stand I gave him , and an extension ladder that's too heavy for me.
He's getting married in April , and just bought a little house.

Will grab lunch somewhere , sometime.

Eli slept all night. He is now going outside to do his business. He like going outside so much , sometimes he fools us at the back door into just letting him go out to play.
He's smart.

64 deg , now , rain tonight and tomorrow.

Y'all stay safe and be happy.

Jim

Hatched a total of 17 chicks by yesterday, and filled up the incubator with the turkey eggs laid this past week. But they are a 28 day hatch, so will be taking up the incubator a while. Went for a tour in the assisted living place near the independent living place mom lives in now, and I think we convinced her that she will be moving very soon. It'd be a 2 bedroom apartment in a 6 apartment complex with family style meals served to all of them three times a day. My sis is visiting from Florida now and was also impressed. We went to the amish school fundraiser dinner and auction last night, and had a great dinner and good time with everyone. They are getting ready to do a build on to the school and the money goes towards that. My nephew, his wife , and grown daughter got in at nine last night from Oklahoma, and we stayed up till 3 talking. Am surprised I'm awake right now Ha. He saw the new chicks, needs some more, so will be bringing some home tomorrow. He brought a large doe white rabbit I've been needing, and their daughter is looking at one of the ("stinkies") baby black cats to take home, too. Not sure what all we're doing today, but I'm sure we'll be busy.

If the weather forecast is correct...(There are two jobs where you can be wrong the majority of the time and still keep your employment, Weatherman and Politician) ... I'm planning on crawling around under the RV today. A year ago something pulled and ripped a bunch of 12 VDC wiring from under the RV. Four of the wires went to the engine fuel pump and gas level gauge. I managed to fix all of the wiring. Used the RV last season with no problems. This past January during my monthly testing the RV engine would turn over but will not start. I suspect the fuel pump wiring. If it is the wiring again and damage is where I can not reach it then the RV will have to be towed, fuel tank dropped ...

I suspect the neighbor dogs are chasing the stray welfare cats the wife supports. Cats are trying to hide on the under carriage of the RV and the dogs are biting and ripping everything that can reached trying to get at the cats. Or since we leave in a woods, raccoons. I am not happy.

We're going to a gun show today. Its almost 6 am here and still nobody is up. Dang lazy city people.

I don't usually get up at 6 AM, lol. Usually 6:30........

I have 2 of the 7 watt hand held. Do not have a clue how to use and will not get a license. Just felt we might need them. I gave one to my daughter.

I'll make an unsolicited suggestion. Get licensed for at least GMRS. Program your handheld radios for the GMRS frequencies. Now you can actual use the radios to familiarize yourselves on how to operate. If a situation arrises that you really need them you probably will not have the time to learn how!

Last edited:
Going to hit the kitchen hard today, cleaning, organizing, repackaging a large package of ground beef into one pound packages for the freezer, dehydrating.
A couple loads of laundry.
Zoom Czech genealogy meeting at 9 this morning which I will leave a little early to join a Zoom Proverbs meeting.

Latest posts

Back