What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TeeJ, I think I recognize the showerhead. Is it one of the KES rainshowers from Amazon? My friend got one without the soap dish. It works well.
/QUOTE]
It's Pulse brand, but it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't the same thing. These days just one company makes a thing and everyone else just slaps their label on it... Report is it works awesome, glue hadn't dried before I had to leave for work in the morning, so I'm excited to have my turn in it tomorrow morning :)

@LadyLocust &
I have similar issues with perfumes of all sorts. For me, I can have an instant headache. I have thought I should carry around a copy of a card that tells about how many people have severe allergies to perfumes. I could hand it to them and walk away. There are people who have severe reactions and while I know that some people are all about perfumes, they have no idea of the reaction some people have. I have always been afraid of getting on a plane and having someone loaded up with perfume on my flight.

I have a similar reaction to perfumes and colognes! For me it seems to be the varieties favored by little old ladies that hit me the worst. Moving from K-12 education to concrete manufacturing sure cut my workday exposure significantly. The career change was due to my district's failure to pass 2 levies in a row, but the perfume thing was a nice fringe benefit!

Teej, if it is anything like the one my friend has then it is great! The rainshower part is very relaxing and the handheld has good pressure (although, my friend removed flow restrictors). If I didn't need grab bars to keep my balance in a shower I'd enjoy it a lot more. (Our shower doesn't work right now so I go shower at my friend's house sometimes-- we bought the shower, trim set, showerhead, toilet, etc so he says we are welcome to shower anytime we want).

I made potato soup the night before, put it away, and then made yellow rice tonight. Had to go get the rice from the store. Picked up my desktop after my friend got all the drivers installed. He's borrowing my hard drive cloner for now.

His ex tried to stick us with babysitting so she could try to cockblock him but we refused.

Today I will be just doing regular work. Tonight I will work a little outside. We are expecting low 20s for the next two nights so I am making a place to bring the container plants back inside for a couple of days. That is the nice thing about container plants (before it gets warm enough for the bugs to wake up) you can bring them in it the weather shift's against you.

Yesterday I ordered some garden supplies. I had a neighbor's animal dig in my onion patch, so I put old deer netting over the whole space to discourage further damage.

Are you assembling premade ones or making custom ones Backpacker?

I just woke up and am feeling bleh. Started coughing. Fed the kitties and Boo decided to go outside instead of eat. He doesn't seem to be feeling as well this morning. I hope he's ok. I'll have to get him some more canned food later. I will probably nap some more until my allergy meds kick in & my nose stops dripping & headache clears a bit more. This is why I'm not a morning person. I usually feel crappy in the morning.

Hope everyone else is off to a better start.

I'm still not quite 100%. Feel pretty good, just missing my all day energy that I usually have.
I need to go to Tractor Supply for a back up dog food.
Hit the bank for a little cash.
Day old bread store.
Piggly Wiggly for pork steaks.
Maybe a thrift store.
Come home and cut carrots for dog treats and cut sweet potatoes to make treats tomorrow.
May skip Bible Study if I am real tired.
Thaw burger to make meatloaf tomorrow--one for us and a few pints to pressure can.

Pouring down rain (a good thing). Today is my Friday this week - as far as I know. Have lots of transplanting of starts to do tomorrow: Anaheims and hollyhocks. Will see what else I think I can get started. Maybe kale and broccoli. It's pretty early for here, but the weather seems to be holding out. We'll probably get another cold patch but I'm hoping even if I move the little greenhouse outside that it will be sufficient and manageable. Have to finish up some tax stuff today 😖 but am hoping that won't be too bad.

Are you assembling premade ones or making custom ones Backpacker?

I just woke up and am feeling bleh. Started coughing. Fed the kitties and Boo decided to go outside instead of eat. He doesn't seem to be feeling as well this morning. I hope he's ok. I'll have to get him some more canned food later. I will probably nap some more until my allergy meds kick in & my nose stops dripping & headache clears a bit more. This is why I'm not a morning person. I usually feel crappy in the morning.

Hope everyone else is off to a better start.

They are custom beds. I got the idea from YouTube, and modified for what materials I have good access to

I'm sitting in my machine at work, chilling out and playing on my phone which I'm not allowed to have with me while I'm working. There's a project going in here and I've got nothing to do until the final stages of it. I'll get paid to set on my butt all morning and then I'll probably get a bunch of overtime this evening...

I'm sitting in my machine at work, chilling out and playing on my phone which I'm not allowed to have with me while I'm working. There's a project going in here and I've got nothing to do until the final stages of it. I'll get paid to set on my butt all morning and then I'll probably get a bunch of overtime this evening...
You are not playing, you are chatting with us!! We say it's ok! Just keep the phone low and out of sight!😁

I'm still not quite 100%. Feel pretty good, just missing my all day energy that I usually have.
I need to go to Tractor Supply for a back up dog food.
Hit the bank for a little cash.
Day old bread store.
Piggly Wiggly for pork steaks.
Maybe a thrift store.
Come home and cut carrots for dog treats and cut sweet potatoes to make treats tomorrow.
May skip Bible Study if I am real tired.
Thaw burger to make meatloaf tomorrow--one for us and a few pints to pressure can.
Hope you keep feeling better!!

Afternoon all. I'm taking a break from working on a website. I'm not techy so my brain feels like it's going to explode.
That's okay, I have one more tax question to find the answer to. It was lunch time so couldn't make the call so popped on here - you know so my brain wouldn't explode. We don't want exploding brains all over - eew!

Would it make you feel better if I sent some eggs your way? :)
I don't want your brain to explode either. I like you fine the way you are! ;)

I was rooting around in the back of my truck, trying to find the pressure cooker that I was sure I had packed. I didn't find it, but I did find 40 tulip bulbs I must have bought last fall. Now I am planting them in a bag of dirt that I was using for weight. Just going to leave them in the truck (capped) until I get home and the flower bed thaws out.

Last edited:
Sitting in my truck debating going into Grocery Outlet.
Came to town to get more fabric for the ocean themed quilt I’m working on. Wanted to be sure the colors worked before I bought all the fabric I think I’ll need.
Got some seed starting mix and a new nozzle. Decided I had nothing to loose going to the mint section and oops! There’s a mint I don’t have! Strawberry mint. Smells like heaven! Hopefully it will dry well and make a good tea syrup 🤤
Well, guess I’d better go in and see if there’s any deals on things we could stock up more on. Hope y’all are having a great day!

It was a non remodel day so I started the greenhouse project.. will sorta. :rolleyes:

The porch that is targeted to become the greenhouse has been a catch-all for stuff.

20220303_162241_HDR.jpg

I need a good place to store all of the archery bows and arrows etc. Decided 5hey will go into the basement where my water barrels are now and my off grid batteries inverters etc will be installed. But there is stuff there that I need to breakdown to harvest copper and machine shop fodder like shafts gears bearings.

BUT!

My bench was full of copper and brass fitting and no room to work.

20220303_140215_HDR.jpg

I pretty much filled a 6 gallon bucket with copper to be used when I start to gear up to add casting metal to my skill set.

20220303_142249_HDR.jpg

So the bench is clear and harvesting tasks started. I did issue a recall for my dolly that is on semipermanent loan to a friend that has taken a liking to it. I need the dolly to move an old mechanical copier that has to be filled with shafts bearings gears and pulleys.

The Princess was pleased progress was made toward getting the greenhouse project started. Funny how having to pay $3 for a head of lettuce ticked her off.

Ben

It was a non remodel day so I started the greenhouse project.. will sorta. :rolleyes:

The porch that is targeted to become the greenhouse has been a catch-all for stuff.

View attachment 81545

I need a good place to store all of the archery bows and arrows etc. Decided 5hey will go into the basement where my water barrels are now and my off grid batteries inverters etc will be installed. But there is stuff there that I need to breakdown to harvest copper and machine shop fodder like shafts gears bearings.

BUT!

My bench was full of copper and brass fitting and no room to work.

View attachment 81546

I pretty much filled a 6 gallon bucket with copper to be used when I start to gear up to add casting metal to my skill set.

View attachment 81547

So the bench is clear and harvesting tasks started. I did issue a recall for my dolly that is on semipermanent loan to a friend that has taken a liking to it. I need the dolly to move an old mechanical copier that has to be filled with shafts bearings gears and pulleys.

The Princess was pleased progress was made toward getting the greenhouse project started. Funny how having to pay $3 for a head of lettuce ticked her off.

Ben
Just think of the treasures you will find 😁

I am getting close to declaring this collection or comic books abandoned and selling them off.

View attachment 81550

How many years has to pass before declaring stuff abandoned?

Ben
60 days IMO. I tell folks, I am not a storage unit. Not unkindly, but when we moved and downsized, we did not move other people's stuff. I have since found a few things of the kids' and mailed said finds off to them.

ETA: If things do go sideways, you have a lifetime supply of TP.

Whew. Made it home. 2 days going to town was way to much for me. At least I got most of what I went for. The rest I was able to order online. Should be here Wednesday. Over ordered but can return the extra. Really don’t understand why companies don’t do ship to store. $10 shipping on a $4 order?!? So silly. So over ordered and got free shipping.
Scores some absolutely amazing fabric though!
DD29C929-1331-4A2B-84CB-8475CDD9046B.jpeg
Gunna have to think about a use for it.
Time to go get chores done and wash my truck. Have a good rest of the afternoon y’all!

@Neb - To be fair, I'd be ticked off with a head of lettuce being $3. Cool archery bows, by the way :)

@Terri9630 - You make me miss my cows. :( But the barn collapsed so there's no getting cows for a while.

Today mom and I went to Dollar General and Dollar Tree. No extravagant price increases seen, but was thrilled to see their french fried onions at Dollar Tree were only $1 and not $1.25! It made up for the smaller boxes of tissues :mad: Used to be 140 count now it's 128.

I didn't get around to cleaning the bathroom yesterday so I did it today. Tidied up the kitchen counter and have been plotting how to spend my money, because I only get paid at the beginning of the month and have to make it last and/or buy everything I need in this first week and be poor for the next three. Lol.

Cleaned one of the doctor's offices, but the doctor was still at the other office doing billing so we'll clean that one tomorrow.

Ben, I love that you collect copper. If I actually thought I would smelt it down or something I'd be keeping it. I hate to waste stuff. The comic book boxes remind me I need to see if any of mine survived. They were in boxes in my closet but I know my brother's cats peed on top of them.

I have been trying to help my friend find a good electric deadbolt for his front door since his ex "lost" her key (pretty sure she has it and is lying). Don't want to spend too much $ on it though. Debating whether to get an amazon off-brand or splurge and get a Schlage.

I walked the puppies and napped. I'm feeling better than I was this morning. Boo was feeling a little down again today-- slower than yesterday but he wanted to be outside in the sun since it was warm. I figured some fresh air might be good for him. I'm about to go check on him and see if I can get him back inside to give him meds and canned food.

Whew. Made it home. 2 days going to town was way to much for me. At least I got most of what I went for. The rest I was able to order online. Should be here Wednesday. Over ordered but can return the extra. Really don’t understand why companies don’t do ship to store. $10 shipping on a $4 order?!? So silly. So over ordered and got free shipping.
Scores some absolutely amazing fabric though!
View attachment 81554
Gunna have to think about a use for it.
Time to go get chores done and wash my truck. Have a good rest of the afternoon y’all!

Seat covers for my truck!!!:D

Oh wow. Ya her belly looks dropped.
Why is it so hard for people to count two?????? Keep us posted on her progress!

We should know by the 16th, Vet is coming out to do a preg check on Birdie, branding and bangs vaccine for Buttercup and Wesley. Do bulls get a bangs vaccine? I guess we'll find out!

Had to unexpectedly butcher a couple of our chickens. My daughter was taking the chickens some leftovers and 3 got past her. No big deal, happens all the time except this time the neighbors cat was over visiting and caught the hen. The 2 roosters that followed her out attacked the cat and from the greenhouse it sounded like WW3 had started. The cat got the hen, the roosters got the cat and my mastiff and my daughters malmute/husky cross ran over and jumped ON to the fray. Smooshed cat, rooster and hen. The cat managed to run off limping badly and one rooster is fine. The other rooster and hen... well, being smashed by 250lbs worth of dog is not the way I want to go.
So how has your day gone?

We watched a gang war of guineas...the african ones and the french ones in the front yard this afternoon. Had been worried about the newly released french guineas, because I know the dogs picked off most of them, and I hadn't really spotted many of them. So nine of the appeared in the front yard, make their guinea sounds, picking through the grass. The older african gang of guineas of course, heard them, and had to check them out. The africans berated the french to the porch, and out the back way, then the africans all sat on the porch wood pile and squacked with glee for an hour. Little granddaughter got off the bus and wondered what on earth was going on. Went to husband's allergy doc appt, and stopped at a couple of stores for a few deals on the way home. Sister had my car and mom all day, took her to see Uncle Melvin (97) and Aunt Silvia (95) her siblings. All of them have dementia so it made for an interesting afternoon. Sis recorded Aunt Silvia singing old hymns in Penn Dutch, since that was her first language, she seems to go back to it. Sis and mom came back to our place for dinner. Long day for sis.

We watched a gang war of guineas...the african ones and the french ones in the front yard this afternoon. Had been worried about the newly released french guineas, because I know the dogs picked off most of them, and I hadn't really spotted many of them. So nine of the appeared in the front yard, make their guinea sounds, picking through the grass. The older african gang of guineas of course, heard them, and had to check them out. The africans berated the french to the porch, and out the back way, then the africans all sat on the porch wood pile and squacked with glee for an hour. Little granddaughter got off the bus and wondered what on earth was going on. Went to husband's allergy doc appt, and stopped at a couple of stores for a few deals on the way home. Sister had my car and mom all day, took her to see Uncle Melvin (97) and Aunt Silvia (95) her siblings. All of them have dementia so it made for an interesting afternoon. Sis recorded Aunt Silvia singing old hymns in Penn Dutch, since that was her first language, she seems to go back to it. Sis and mom came back to our place for dinner. Long day for sis.
That is a day to remember!

Ben

Latest posts

Back