What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good evening everyone.
Trying out a new router. 🤞🏼 Can you hear me now? How bout now?
Been a long day. Still got a bit to do.
Found a “new” quilt shop today. Boy that place could get me in a lot of trouble. Got one fabric I need for a quilt I’m working on for my mother in law. Needed 2 so I’m closer I think. Got great feedback from the quilters on the blocks I brought in. Not sure if they were just being nice or not but I appreciate the compliments.
Spent a fortune fueling up my truck while I was in town where it’s “cheaper”.
Not many masks. Was nice to see people smile.
See if you were next door, we could stitch together 😁
We're in doggie hospice mode. :(

I was working at the farm (the flooring installation is kicking my butt) when the neighbor came to tell me my husband had called and was distraught. (We don't have a landline at the farm, and it's too rural/hilly for cell, so hubby had called one of our awesome neighbors.) He said Remington had taken a turn for the worse, and he didn't think he'd make it. So I hurried back, as worried about DH as I am about Remmy. With so much piling up, this is hitting DH hard.

Remmy's death seemed imminent when I first arrived home, but since then he's perked up a bit. He's even eaten a little and has gone outside to pee. So it's hard to say, but I still think we're looking at only a few days. He's so skinny and weak. But he doesn't seem to be in pain, and that's all I've prayed for.

Now I just have to hold it together for DH's sake.
So sorry G! We lost our trusty k9 companion this past summer. We won't have another one for a while. Hubby was a special kind of messed up for quite a while. :huggs:
In regards to Remmy, for me it has always helped to have a little time to say goodbye. I am glad that you have that.

I was sneezing last night and didn't sleep well. Seemed ok this morning except for a little more sneezing and tired. No fever at all and I could certainly smell the turkey broth cooking overnight and today. May have been allergies and I am ok now.
I walked the dogs this morning, but not myself.
Worked on skimming, straining and canning the turkey broth today. The canners are cooling now.
Prayer meeting this evening.
It could be something so silly: I take my own bag grocery shopping. One time, the young gal bagging groceries was rubbing perfumed hand lotion on her hands as my groceries began to be scanned. My eyes started watering in the car with the groceries. At home, I had to wipe everything down and put the bag in the washer, sneezing & watery eyes etc. It was crazy! Lots of perfumes and laundry products do that to me though.

My brain is about toast. This week has been a cluster-muck! I don't get to think for more than a minute without an interruption. Also, supply shortages are beginning to hit our industry a little more noticeably which makes work that much more adventurous. :blow up:

Going to change oil in the wifes Grand Cherokee today. Was planing on changing oil in the main generator too but I picked up a fuel filter instead if an oil filter, what a dipshit.
Tomorrow we're going to a Convention of States meeting in Boise and Friday we're driving up north to see the kids and grandkids. We'll get to see our new puppy Friday night. Saturday we're going to a gun show.

Going to change oil in the wifes Grand Cherokee today. Was planing on changing oil in the main generator too but I picked up a fuel filter instead if an oil filter, what a dipshit.
Tomorrow we're going to a Convention of States meeting in Boise and Friday we're driving up north to see the kids and grandkids. We'll get to see our new puppy Friday night. Saturday we're going to a gun show.
:thumbs:

Ben

Don’t worry it happens to the best of us, you are not alone.

I was planing on cooking some pork chops on the BBQ tonight, but a chunk of ice fell off the house and crushed the grill. This piece of ice was about 30 feet long and 18 inches thick. It broke a couple boards on the deck when it hit too. I did manage to get my smoker out of the way before it came down, and I thought the BBQ was out of danger too.

I was planing on cooking some pork chops on the BBQ tonight, but a chunk of ice fell off the house and crushed the grill. This piece of ice was about 30 feet long and 18 inches thick. It broke a couple boards on the deck when it hit too. I did manage to get my smoker out of the way before it came down, and I thought the BBQ was out of danger too.
That why snow blowers have a warning about not using them of roofs.

Ben

TeeJ, I think I recognize the showerhead. Is it one of the KES rainshowers from Amazon? My friend got one without the soap dish. It works well.

Ben, looking good!

My brain is a bit out of it. Boo slept on me last night but because he's feeling much better we are letting him choose if he wants to go outside or not. He keeps going out to pee. Takes him about 3 minutes straight at least though. So I'm hoping there is no UTI or kidney stones. He kept coming in, sleeping on me, getting up and going out, then coming back smelling like dirt. It was warm today so he was sunning himself outside.

Friend fixed my computer but I need to go pick it up still.

Rescued 2 abandoned hound pups (anyone want a couple pups?) Beautiful little boys. They don't chew stuff, they don't chase cats. They just run around and play and want to be loved. My brother actually went out to play with them. Can't keep them because I don't have the energy and we don't need new pets. Even though they don't chase (yet), cats are afraid of them.

I did the laundry.
Did some light shopping
baited the possum barrel
hit the liquor store for liquid muscle relaxer
flopped back in bed with a bottle opener and a cooler and cranked up my jam.

No worries. I do want dairy goats. I also want dairy cows but space will dictate what we end up with once we move. The first new animal we get is our egg laying flock and maybe some meat birds.

I have been shopping around for a small camper/trailer/rv to turn into the "bunny barn" for our move. I have been looking and strategizing how I am going to move 5 rabbits, 4 cats, 2 dogs and 2 kids in my wagon without having a melt down every day on the road. I figure with a camper the cats can free roam during the drive. I also thought if I can keep the buns in their hutches and not have to get travel holes (small traveling cages for show rabbits) it will keep things less stressful for us all.

Kennels for everyone. Thats how we have moved with cats, dogs and rabbits and chickens. No fighting, no jumping around easy to water and the kids weren't fighting for room or over who gets to hold which animal.

In no specific order.
Moved cows. Having a frustrating breeding season. My hearts just not in it this year.
Made hard boiled eggs and pasta salad for hubby’s “dinner” for the next few days.
Tax apt next week so working on inputting everything into the computer.
Butcher apt week after next so working out all the details for that. If this place works out we will schedule the next one. Need to defrost the upright between now and meat pick up time. Get the meat that’s for us put back in it and move the pet food meat to the other freezer to be finished up first. Not much left so shouldn’t take too much effort.
Finally able to start a freeze drier load today. Have a few more loads to get finished up before garden season.
Need to get seed starting mix and get seeds started soon.

You and me both. This stupid cow looks pregnant, hasn't had a single heat cycle that we've seen but still no calf!!!

Any idea of her due date? Is her body changing or anything? Bagging up? That’s so frustrating when they do that.

I told my husband I’m ready to get a bull this year just to get it all over with. Normally I really like breeding season. It’s fun. Not this year. Just want it over

We're in doggie hospice mode. :(

I was working at the farm (the flooring installation is kicking my butt) when the neighbor came to tell me my husband had called and was distraught. (We don't have a landline at the farm, and it's too rural/hilly for cell, so hubby had called one of our awesome neighbors.) He said Remington had taken a turn for the worse, and he didn't think he'd make it. So I hurried back, as worried about DH as I am about Remmy. With so much piling up, this is hitting DH hard.

Remmy's death seemed imminent when I first arrived home, but since then he's perked up a bit. He's even eaten a little and has gone outside to pee. So it's hard to say, but I still think we're looking at only a few days. He's so skinny and weak. But he doesn't seem to be in pain, and that's all I've prayed for.

Now I just have to hold it together for DH's sake.
It is so hard to lose our furry friends. Hugs and prayers for you and your husband.

It could be something so silly: I take my own bag grocery shopping. One time, the young gal bagging groceries was rubbing perfumed hand lotion on her hands as my groceries began to be scanned. My eyes started watering in the car with the groceries. At home, I had to wipe everything down and put the bag in the washer, sneezing & watery eyes etc. It was crazy! Lots of perfumes and laundry products do that to me though.
I have similar issues with perfumes of all sorts. For me, I can have an instant headache. I have thought I should carry around a copy of a card that tells about how many people have severe allergies to perfumes. I could hand it to them and walk away. There are people who have severe reactions and while I know that some people are all about perfumes, they have no idea of the reaction some people have. I have always been afraid of getting on a plane and having someone loaded up with perfume on my flight.

Any idea of her due date? Is her body changing or anything? Bagging up? That’s so frustrating when they do that.

I told my husband I’m ready to get a bull this year just to get it all over with. Normally I really like breeding season. It’s fun. Not this year. Just want it over

Her belly has dropped quite a bit and I had to let out the belly band I use with her milker out about 7 inches over the fall but no bagging up or any other signs. I swear I can see movement but I'm not sure if its a calf or just her because shes constantly talking to me or trying to eat every little bit of hay and won't stay still. If she took the first breeding she should have been due Feb 9th but we just found out that her steer calf wasn't. The people we sold him to called to let us know he had a retained testicle. We suspected it and let them know because of his build and behavior and he was in with her until the middle of Oct.

Attachments

• IMG_20220216_120959172_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220216_120959172_HDR.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 14
When I got home from Dad's today, I worked on moving around a couple of raised beds.
Will do laundry tomorrow morning.
Will do another couple mile walks tomorrow.
Will ride recumbent bike too several times in the day.
I think I have lost more weight this week.
Have done dishes up today.
Went to the store for Dad today.
He wants Potato soup tomorrow.
So he's going to make it.
Hopefully I will get at least 5 hours of sleep tonight.

When I got home from Dad's today, I worked on moving around a couple of raised beds.
Will do laundry tomorrow morning.
Will do another couple mile walks tomorrow.
Will ride recumbent bike too several times in the day.
I think I have lost more weight this week.
Have done dishes up today.
Went to the store for Dad today.
He wants Potato soup tomorrow.
So he's going to make it.
Hopefully I will get at least 5 hours of sleep tonight.
I've noticed that you haven't been on for a little bit again. I know that every day with him is a blessing.

Heard strange noises outside the window a few minutes ago. Got the spotlight and opened the drape to come face to face with a damn racoon clinging to the pole and scarfing sunflower seed out of the birdfeeder. Which is just 18" outside my window. I could have grabbed the varmint by the scruff of the neck! So now I'll have to keep the blunderbuss by the window and try to get a shot at him when he comes back. I really hate coons.
Made myself get dressed and leave the house to go to church today. Glad the local meijer has that shop by app and pick it up thing so I didn't have to go in the store and deal with people.

A former student sent me a message that her mother passed away a week ago. The message was a group message, sent to another friend and myself. I believe we were probably her only friends. But I only really saw her when I took her out to lunch on her birthday, and when our mutual friend was in town, two times a year at the most. Friend' husband left about 10 years ago, and it was sad and ugly. They were not at all alike and I always wondered how they lasted together as long as they did. So much ugliness in bad marriages and divorces. She was a hard worker, kept a spotless home, always worked outside the home, raised 3 very successful children, all college educated. I had all three of her children as students. They were smart, driven, talented. There will be no service. Her children will take her ashes to NYC where she grew up and scatter them there. The children are all adults, and now they are left with their father. Daughter cannot stand him. He is narcissistic, and refinanced their homes multiple times to take out the equity, to buy things he didn't need, like 30 watches.

Oh wow. Ya her belly looks dropped.
Why is it so hard for people to count two?????? Keep us posted on her progress!

This was her when we bought her last May. She was milking 2 gallons a day.

Attachments

• 0415211206.jpg
    0415211206.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back