What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amish_Heart, I hope your mother appreciated it and I hope she was OK with you cleaning up for her. I personally hate it when other people touch my stuff. Things other may see as garbage may hold some sense of nostalgia for me. I sometimes keep old ads for nostalgia or there is an article or something I wanted to hold on to. I still remember my father telling me how his mother got upset when he repaired the clutch on her car without asking her. She apparently liked that it was easier to push. She also got mad when my aunt decided to clean up and put fresh paint on the walls. She said she didn't like the new paint color, but I suspect it was more of an issue because she wasn't asked first.
Worst case was with my maternal grandmother. She would hide her jewelry in potpourri in cabinets. One of my aunts decided to clean up for her and threw out all the potpourri thinking it was junk. My grandmother was very upset (but not angry bc she knew it wasn't intentional). She said if my aunt had asked her first, she wouldn't have let her throw it out. Lost her most valuable jewelry that way. So, I never throw out other people's stuff or do things to their stuff without asking. I cleaned up at my sister's house, but never threw anything away. I scrubbed the stove, washed dishes, cleaned counters and microwave, etc. I don't even like to touch my mother's stuff without asking first and we live in the same house. LOL. Anything I'm not sure is absolute garbage I will set aside and ask her. But then, I grew up in a family with hoarder tendencies.

Mom was being pissy today. Couldn't tell me what she wanted to eat. Seemed mad about something but wouldn't tell me what. She rejected every item of food I suggested. Then said she wanted something that was out of stock and got mad that I couldn't magically make it appear. I sent my brother in to figure out what she wanted. She asked him to get boudin (which was something she rejected when I offered). Wouldn't look at me other than to glare and refused to tell me if he got her something to eat. I had to go ask him. Then my friend messaged me on FB saying my mother wanted a Big Mac meal from McDonalds. My brother had messaged him because my mother had paged my brother. She didn't bother to tell me directly and my brother wouldn't message me directly either. Apparently they both thought I'd gone to my friend's house because my mother misheard me when I said I was going to my room.

Ordered a new cpu cooler for my computer.

Took Boo (the cat) to the vet to get the iv catheter out. He was elated. He literally ran into the kitchen when we got home. He actually went outside briefly and then back in to the kitchen. I fed him canned food (he only ate a little). Later on I gave him Temptations treats and he ate regular cat food. He's napping on Mom's bed for now.

My buddy had an issue with his mail box. He built a mount of angle iron that rips apart sheet metal in a car.

Ben
My neighbor had problems with the road grader wiping out his mailbox with the wing. Happened four times, the county refused to deal with his complaints, and he finally had enough. He filled a 55 gallon drum with concrete mix and set a 6" diameter, 1/2 inch steel pipe in it, and buried the drum next to his driveway entrance where the mailbox was supposed to be. He measured to the inch so as to be sure it wasn't too close to the road. Then he mounted the box on it and waited.

A few weeks later it snowed. Here came the grader again, winging the snow out, and BOOM! It almost tore the wing off the grader, and the mailbox was still standing, although not in the best shape.

The Road Supervisor was not pleased and threatened a lawsuit. But, after the neighbor brought out all the photos of the repeated mailbox massacres and the county supervisors saw the letters he had written to the road department that got ignored, they agreed to reassign the operator if neighbor removed the mailbox stand. He called it a win...

Our illustrious potentiate gubner instituted new regional offices to save money..🥴, idiot.
So now I can't go to my local courthouse to do anything dealing with drivers license.
Now we all have to go to regional offices, 6 of them. To get renewal or address change.

So I'll save money today by driving to big town , 40 miles away , and visiting a slummy office run by incompetent idiots , to get my address changed on my driver's license, after spending 2 hours on phone to get my appointment , only to be told to do it online at their screwed up website. I'm so PO'd , I gotta use gorilla tape on my mouth when I go.

Remove tape,
then go by and pay for the John Deere and arrange a delivery time.

Then , lunch if my stomach is settled down.

Then back to my world(home) away from the crazies.

Should went to rant thread...but it's what I'm doing today.

Hope all y'all have a much better day.

Jim

Good luck, Phideaux.....we spent yesterday down at the courthouse (3rd trip) trying to get our guardianship of my disabled sister transferred over to us, since we moved to a new state. We got the paperwork done (mostly), now waiting for a court date.....need to have a lawyer and investigator appointed to represent her. Sigh.....I understand it's necessary to protect people but it shouldn't be so difficult......

When I was a kid, we'd have problems with bands of teens who would destroy your mailbox by hitting it with a baseball bat or just plain running it over. Dad got sick of it and dug a 12" PCV pipe 6' into the ground, filled it with rebar mesh, and filled it with concrete. A couple of weeks after he installed it, we all woke up at 2 AM to a huge crash and found an old junker wrapped around it. Never lost another mailbox after that.

Super excited as we're getting our new shower today - manufacturer finally broke down and air-freighted the replacement part out. Seeing how the demo of the old shower was in October, were more than eager to have a new one in!

When I was a kid, we'd have problems with bands of teens who would destroy your mailbox by hitting it with a baseball bat or just plain running it over. Dad got sick of it and dug a 12" PCV pipe 6' into the ground, filled it with rebar mesh, and filled it with concrete. A couple of weeks after he installed it, we all woke up at 2 AM to a huge crash and found an old junker wrapped around it. Never lost another mailbox after that.

Super excited as we're getting our new shower today - manufacturer finally broke down and air-freighted the replacement part out. Seeing how the demo of the old shower was in October, were more than eager to have a new one in!
So that's what we've been smelling 😂 (I know you've been anxious for it for some time- hoping install goes smoothly.)
We got about 8 inches of snow last night then it turned to rain. Still raining this morning. Our road is impassable right now. I'll get the tractor out later and try to clean it up. Dont need to go anywhere anyway.
;)
Curious as to your elevation???
@phideaux Jim, maybe AH will make you some banana puddin' to settle your stomach ;) (strictly medicinal purposes of course)

Dealing with 2 very pregnant does. They are due by the end of the week so they got their nesting boxes last night. One keeps emptying her hay manger right after I fill it. She is eating very little of it and just kicking the hay out into her litter box.

K is concerned that the kits will take a long time to hit fryer weight. I told him my plan that since this is our first litter with these does I will be logging how the kits grow. If our lovely mixed doe's kits grow faster then before we leave the state in the fall I will contact her breeder and get a second doe (and maybe a buck) from the same line. The buck can breed with the rex doe(s) and help establish our own line of fast growers.

Working to trouble shoot the fodder system. It does not like to grow in the colder months even in a sunny window where the home temp is in the 60s. The little spikes of freezing temps outside don't help any. The house temp drops to the 40s on those nights.

I need to make another double batch of laundry detergent soon. I also need to buy more ingredients before the prices get too high.

Feeling a little off today, having a little trouble keeping my blood glucose level up. I was going to go to the gym, but low BG and exercise don't mix too well. So I'm drinking some Mexican coffee from the church coffee shop and farting around on the forum. This afternoon I'll try to hit the gym, go pick up a prescription and get groceries, and get my little SUV ready for daily driver duties. It's a 32 mile commute to headquarters for my new job, and I'd just as soon not put those miles on my truck.

Moved dog paraphernalia from car to spare car daughter and I share for days just like this. Drove my car to auto repair shop this morning for brakes, oil change and front end work (pot holes!). Walked home, loaded up my boarding dog and went to the dog park. No double layers of pants or outer jacket. It was 34 degrees when I got up this morning and is currently 59 degrees. I was sweating after I walked home without the jacket I've been wearing for a few months. Home, doing a little housework, letting dog out into the yard and doing yard work when she is out there. Another dog visit this afternoon, and then more organizing and house work.

Still waiting on 1 sheep to give birth

Grimm: what type of goats ? Kikos don't grow as fast as Boers. They need to be at least a year before you eat them or you will get very little meat. I get about twice as much meat from a 1 year old lamb than 1 year old goat kid.

It's warm today but still freezing at night. Starting plant things ( indoor trays) , already have some started

Woke up feeling good. A bit early so I needed to kill some time to let it warm up outside so I can repair the chimney without my hands going numb. Watching YouTube and saw a video with a picture of Matt's Off Road Recovery, a video I hadn't seen before, so I click on it and it has an old picture of John Wayne and obviously old audio of someone introducing John Wayne. Which isn't a bad thing but I was confused and backed out, saw the picture of Matt and clicked again and it starts with the John Wayne picture again. It took me a minute to realize that Ethan Wayne does a podcast/video program and was hanging out with Matt for the day. It was an interesting watch. Ethan played Little Jake in the Big Jake movie. Big Jake is my favorite movie, by far, and I have no idea how many thousands of times I have watched that movie. I am Jealous!

OK, now I gotta get to work.

Still waiting on 1 sheep to give birth

Grimm: what type of goats ? Kikos don't grow as fast as Boers. They need to be at least a year before you eat them or you will get very little meat. I get about twice as much meat from a 1 year old lamb than 1 year old goat kid.

It's warm today but still freezing at night. Starting plant things ( indoor trays) , already have some started

No goats. I have meat rabbits.

OK, Phideaux, sending virtual banana pudding your way...coming right up!!
I thought I had the day fairly clear, but no.... a doc appt, bloodwork, and a foot xray took 2 1/2 hrs. Used my Kohls cash at Kohls, got gas, chic fil a salad at the big park in the bigger town. Husband is taking a nap. I need to get some upstairs cleaning done, sister comes in tomorrow from Florida. Did I mention it's 72 degrees here today??? Loving the sunshine.

I did ebay photos first this morning for DH.
Walked.
Paid bills.
Have turkey and stuffing/ dressing with a little broth in the pressure canner now.
Roasting bones and veggies for turkey stock to pressure can tomorrow. The stock will cook overnight.
That should be it for today.

Dealing with 2 very pregnant does. They are due by the end of the week so they got their nesting boxes last night. One keeps emptying her hay manger right after I fill it. She is eating very little of it and just kicking the hay out into her litter box.

K is concerned that the kits will take a long time to hit fryer weight. I told him my plan that since this is our first litter with these does I will be logging how the kits grow. If our lovely mixed doe's kits grow faster then before we leave the state in the fall I will contact her breeder and get a second doe (and maybe a buck) from the same line. The buck can breed with the rex doe(s) and help establish our own line of fast growers.

Working to trouble shoot the fodder system. It does not like to grow in the colder months even in a sunny window where the home temp is in the 60s. The little spikes of freezing temps outside don't help any. The house temp drops to the 40s on those nights.

I need to make another double batch of laundry detergent soon. I also need to buy more ingredients before the prices get too high.

What breeds do you have? Just Rex? I've never had those but Californians and New Zealands hit butcher weight in 8 to 12 weeks. Just depends on how heavy you want them.

What breeds do you have? Just Rex? I've never had those but Californians and New Zealands hit butcher weight in 8 to 12 weeks. Just depends on how heavy you want them.

My 2 bucks and 1 doe are Rex and my mixed doe is 3/4 Rex and 1/4 New Zealand. Her mother was HUUUUUUUGE! At 12 weeks our mix was almost 8lbs. Our others were 5-6lbs by the time they hit 9-12 weeks. The velvet coat was part of why we went with the Rex. (glove liners) I also figured we could offset the care cost by selling kits if they are pure Rex with pedigrees.

74B6715A-270F-42A6-BF5B-35DC9BD42EA8_1_201_a.jpeg

Fun trip to big town today.
Took 1 1/2 hours to get drivers license address updated, and thats with an appointment.
What a mess.

Then l learned a new trick , while sitting in Freddy's.
IMG_20220301_131612620.jpg

As always I set far from entrance with my back to the wall, so I can observe every one that enters.
I stay very aware of my surroundings.
This guy , maybe 60 ish, comes in, walks over ,checks out the pop dispensers, goes to counter , ask for a pack of ketchup , and oh, btw, a cup. Goes to pop dispenser , fills it with coke , leaves.
I thought I'd seen everything...nope.
Thats unbelievable.

Made it home , in spite of all the BSC's.

Jim

Survived Aldi. Prices went up from last week on pretty much every single thing. Can of peas I know last week was 52 cents, today was 91 cents. Container of cashews went up $2. Everything went up.

😲

52 cents to 91 is a huge jump!

My sister and I are going to Aldi this week. We noticed their potato flakes have not only gone up in price, but the net weight on the box has gone down.

Lady L....filling up diesel cans is my least favorite thing, because it's got to go in crazy slow with the new stupid diesel cans and it goes everywhere. I refuse to do it. Grandson and his papas job.

Yup. I leave filling gas and/or diesel cans up to my dad. I'll uncap and cap the containers and I'll even pay the bill, but he fills. Ha ha.

Not doing much today. Felt tired and unambitious. I never even got around to writing out a to-do list! The extent of my accomplishments were keeping an eye out for the fox and herding chickens back to the yard several times. Probably gonna end the night with an episode of Star Trek.

Curious as to your elevation???
@phideaux Jim, maybe AH will make you some banana puddin' to settle your stomach ;) (strictly medicinal purposes of course)
We're up around 5,000 ft. And around 2,000 ft higher than town, 18 miles away. Our road is 2 miles long and drops 800 ft in elevation between the house and the county road. I'm getting ready to start plowing now.

Eden (the younger granddaughter) visited and was interested in experiments so I set her 7p to burn some steel wool since it involves electricity energy and chemistry.

The red cabbage juice I had on the shelf was old so she put on her lab coat and safety goggles to run experiments with food coloring vegetable oil and chocolate syrup.

My brother started with the waste lines while I installed outlets for the closets and wired them yesterday. I teamed up to help him with plumbing today. This what the view looked like.

20220301_155331_HDR.jpg

20220301_155341_HDR.jpg

20220301_165648_HDR.jpg

That may get completed tomorrow. Windows may be getting ordered soon.

I may be planting strawberry plants tomorrow.

Behave!

Ben

Back