What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today, I got up at the regular time and made my final plans for the solar panel frame rebuild. I want to re-use as much of the original lumber as I can so I had to plan around that. Then I went to HD and picked up all the lumber and hinges for the new build. I figure it will be 3 weeks before I can complete the build.

FYI, the original frame held up well, it handled 60+mph winds, some snow, and lots of icy rain. I would not be rebuilding it but it was only 400 watts and sitting on the only hidden site that gets the right sun, the new frame will be supporting 1000 watts in the same space....

It is now 06:45 and I need to switch gears and move on to my day job....

Have a great day,

Urban

Today, I got up at the regular time and made my final plans for the solar panel frame rebuild. I want to re-use as much of the original lumber as I can so I had to plan around that. Then I went to HD and picked up all the lumber and hinges for the new build. I figure it will be 3 weeks before I can complete the build.

FYI, the original frame held up well, it handled 60+mph winds, some snow, and lots of icy rain. I would not be rebuilding it but it was only 400 watts and sitting on the only hidden site that gets the right sun, the new frame will be supporting 1000 watts in the same space....

It is now 06:45 and I need to switch gears and move on to my day job....

Have a great day,

Urban
You have a great day too!!

Praying for your family, @hashbrown . It's always a difficult time.

Haven't done anything yet.
Yesterday we went to Lowes and bought a bigger mailbox, moved the post so it is closer to the road as was requested by the mail lady.
So today will be what I didn't get done yesterday.
Walk first and walk dogs.
Make a few business phone calls.
Laundry.
Make a broccoli casserole.
Grill the pork steaks.
Check walkie talkies and check batteries in faraday cages.
Thaw pkg of turkey to pressure can turkey and dressing tomorrow.

Last edited:
Getting my household/animal chores done and going to Aldi soon while husband gets his hearing test. The twins have tennis and track right after school and play band right after that for the Basketball tournament week, so doing their chores all week, too. Don't expect to see them till after 9 tonight. The weather is so much warmer and animal care this morning was a piece of cake, not having to deal with frozen water.

Ran into a friend of mine Friday. Hadn't seen her for a while. She was working at Ranch and Home. She had been working at the PO, had been promoted, was doing great and liking it. I asked what happened. She said she was tired of working 80 hrs. per week, and they wouldn't give her any time off so she quit. I don't think this is singular to the PO. It was good to see her and catch up for a quick minute.
Hubby woke up early and started the coffee instead of waiting. I heard the coffee then the clock strike the half hour so figured it was time to get up. Drank our coffee and got him ready to go and realized it was only 4:30. He was rearing to go since he'd fallen asleep at 6:20 last night! It was evidently 3:30 when I woke up.
This morning, had to go fill 4 jerry cans with off road diesel. Nozzle doesn't fit in opening of can, no vent on new cans and new "5gal" cans are not 5 gals.! Wind is about 50 mph. Took forever to try to slow run it. Got diesel all over the cans and me. Brought them back to the shop then ran home and changed. I've accomplished very little so far! (And yet here I am 🤪)

@hashbrown my thoughts are with you and your family - I'm glad you got to say goodbye.
I'm not doing much today. Should be doing more. We got back late from the volleyball tournament last night. Girls took first in the silver bracket. The bad thing about going to the championship is that you are there the longest!! 😫

Worked a 13 1/2 hour day and made the 14 hour drive straight through to home. Got in around 11AM, by 12:30 was napping and back up at 2:30. Made a call to the pharmacy for a prescription, talked to the ex about the change in my visitation with my daughter due to my new work schedule, and ate some cheese and peanut butter for lunch. I'm trying to get up the gumption to take a shower and drive back to the grocery store but I'm struggling. I just spent 14 hours in the truck and I don't want to get back in it to drive 15 minutes to the store...

Worked a 13 1/2 hour day and made the 14 hour drive straight through to home. Got in around 11AM, by 12:30 was napping and back up at 2:30. Made a call to the pharmacy for a prescription, talked to the ex about the change in my visitation with my daughter due to my new work schedule, and ate some cheese and peanut butter for lunch. I'm trying to get up the gumption to take a shower and drive back to the grocery store but I'm struggling. I just spent 14 hours in the truck and I don't want to get back in it to drive 15 minutes to the store...
Welcome home ~ for as long as you choose 😊

Survived Aldi. Actually only old people were shopping and not that many of them really. Prices went up from last week on pretty much every single thing. Can of peas I know last week was 52 cents, today was 91 cents. Container of cashews went up $2. Everything went up. Filled a cart and put everything away. Did the kids chores, they'll be home in time for a shower and bed.
Lady L....filling up diesel cans is my least favorite thing, because it's got to go in crazy slow with the new stupid diesel cans and it goes everywhere. I refuse to do it. Grandson and his papas job.

Seeing as how my mailbox has been hit 3 times in last month...I got permission to move it to my driveway, safer for mail carrier , safer for us.
I had to chunk thru 10" of gravel to get to the clay. I'm beat. Got it moved .
Rearranged the old shop so I can get the wife's new John Deere in .
Played with Eli.
He is 99% house trained . Gonna start taking him outside this week , instead of peepad.
Went to KFC for lunch .
Got some diesel (6 gal) ,@ 4.09/gal , for tractor . Shoulda fill my barrel I suppose before it hits $6/gal , or more.

Nice weather this week.

Love banana pudding.

Jim

Hey @phideaux and Mrs Phideaux! :huggs:
We did the same with our box. Was a challenge getting the holes dug but we haven’t had nearly as much theft or bashing interest since. Sometimes we miss a delivery when there is a sub but that’s ok. A day late is better than missing.
I’m dreading fueling up my truck and topping off the cans but I need to this week. Not looking forward to seeing what prices are now.
Don’t think I’ve ever had banana pudding. Sounds delicious though

Hey @phideaux and Mrs Phideaux! :huggs:
We did the same with our box. Was a challenge getting the holes dug but we haven’t had nearly as much theft or bashing interest since. Sometimes we miss a delivery when there is a sub but that’s ok. A day late is better than missing.
I’m dreading fueling up my truck and topping off the cans but I need to this week. Not looking forward to seeing what prices are now.
Don’t think I’ve ever had banana pudding. Sounds delicious though

Girrrll....
You need to have some home made banana pudding for your life to be complete.

:heart:

Jim

Seeing as how my mailbox has been hit 3 times in last month...I got permission to move it to my driveway, safer for mail carrier , safer for us.
I had to chunk thru 10" of gravel to get to the clay. I'm beat. Got it moved .
Rearranged the old shop so I can get the wife's new John Deere in .
Played with Eli.
He is 99% house trained . Gonna start taking him outside this week , instead of peepad.
Went to KFC for lunch .
Got some diesel (6 gal) ,@ 4.09/gal , for tractor . Shoulda fill my barrel I suppose before it hits $6/gal , or more.

Nice weather this week.

Love banana pudding.

Jim

Last time someone ran over our box, I went to Lowes looking for a replacement. They had something new to me, 4x4 with a long hole drilled up the center, piece of rebar 5' long, 1x to mount the box on and a box. Just drive the rebar in a couple feet, slide the 4x4 over it and attach the rest. I had it installed in an hour. Diggin a hole really aint possible at our place. Years ago there was a narrow gauge railroad that ran to a quarry down the road. There are marble chunks at least a few feet deep. I drug out many hundred pounds when I was cutting the driveway. Went down 2' and never got a whiff of the bottom.

I second Jim on the nanner puddin. Not much of a better dessert

Last time someone ran over our box, I went to Lowes looking for a replacement. They had something new to me, 4x4 with a long hole drilled up the center, piece of rebar 5' long, 1x to mount the box on and a box. Just drive the rebar in a couple feet, slide the 4x4 over it and attach the rest. I had it installed in an hour. Diggin a hole really aint possible at our place. Years ago there was a narrow gauge railroad that ran to a quarry down the road. There are marble chunks at least a few feet deep. I drug out many hundred pounds when I was cutting the driveway. Went down 2' and never got a whiff of the bottom.

I second Jim on the nanner puddin. Not much of a better dessert
My entrance driveway was an old road bed years ago.
I started a hole about 2' off the driveway , but still hit gravel ...after using a stone breaker bar ( maybe 30 lbs) to chip away an inch at a time finally got thru it after 10 to 12 inches then clay for next 12 inches.
I hurt all over. I'm too old for that carp.
But , it's moved , so much easier to check , and carrier just pulls in and makes the circle back out to hwy.

Jim

My entrance driveway was an old road bed years ago.
I started a hole about 2' off the driveway , but still hit gravel ...after using a stone breaker bar ( maybe 30 lbs) to chip away an inch at a time finally got thru it after 10 to 12 inches then clay for next 12 inches.
I hurt all over. I'm too old for that carp.
But , it's moved , so much easier to check , and carrier just pulls in and makes the circle back out to hwy.

Jim
My buddy had an issue with his mail box. He built a mount of angle iron that rips apart sheet metal in a car.

Ben

Went to town today for my monthly dose of IV vitamins, hoping it helps. Picked up some supplies in town to make the repairs to the wood stove chimney tomorrow. I hope to video the rebuild and post it to my YouTube page.
Came home and the GF gave me a haircut. I needed it a few weeks ago so glad to have it short again. Waiting for dinner now, then a shower and probably early to bed to watch a movie. Hoping to find a decent movie, maybe Red Dawn. (the original not the ruined second attempt)

Back