What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, hey, good morning INresponse. We're coming around. Not sure what's up today, the last full day daughter and the boyfriend are visiting, they leave tomorrow. Slept in a bit and still having coffee. I know we'll be visiting my mom today, as they haven't seen her yet this visit, and anything else they want to do, not sure yet. Neighbor monster dog already came down the driveway so is locked up in the cage with the pillow under the tree of shame. We let her go home yesterday after dark around 9 pm...no one came to get her. Am wishing the ground would unfreeze her...want to get peas planted.

When it comes to property taxes, I just payed the amount from last year. They aren't typically due until May 30th here, but I figure they can hold the disappearing money instead of me.
I want to get it done ASAP, in case something happens. Normally, we get our statements right after the first of the year. I was beginning to wonder if this wasn't an attempt to get over on people somehow.

We pay ours at the County Courthouse in person so we have a receipt. not sure if that is possible for you to do.
It is possible. A friend of mine says that is how she does it. I just do not want to deal with parking down there. I could pay $15 and walk a few blocks in these cold temperatures. We have had a really cold month, and while I go to dog parks with dogs, I also take blankets (fleece remnants) to sit on and cover my lap with. I'm just trying to not go places like that in these temps. In some ways, the cashiers check and post office are easier. Didn't have to get out of the car at the credit union, and there was plenty of good parking for free at the post office.

Good night's sleep last night.

Eli the beast slept almost all night.

Nothing planned for today.
Still too cold outside to do anything.

Will find some place for lunch and that's about it.

Will spend time playing with the pup.

Jim
If he slept that well he is settling in quickly!! He knows he is home!!😊

It is possible. A friend of mine says that is how she does it. I just do not want to deal with parking down there. I could pay $15 and walk a few blocks in these cold temperatures. We have had a really cold month, and while I go to dog parks with dogs, I also take blankets (fleece remnants) to sit on and cover my lap with. I'm just trying to not go places like that in these temps. In some ways, the cashiers check and post office are easier. Didn't have to get out of the car at the credit union, and there was plenty of good parking for free at the post office.

Here, we have a lot of options to make payments. I go to the bank personally, no ATM either. The receipt from the teller has the folio # on it and a big official stamp. I will walk through the gates of hell for that documentation when it comes to property taxes.

The gubmint will foreclose if one year is missed. Most places, it is three years. They also say that you can't pay ahead, but I do. Once they have your money, they don't like to give it back.

With all the threats of freezing bank accounts for sneezing these days, I figure the one account that will remain working, is theirs. So far so good.

I will walk through the gates of hell for that documentation when it comes to property taxes.
Absolutely! It is my most important bill to get paid, ever. Yes, all bills are important, but nothing like this. Our local government has gotten so corrupt, I would not put anything past them. Receiving this notice more than a month later than usual was stressful. Not even being able to access it online was also stressful. It is my home, my property, that I have been so careful about never having anything go wrong with the mortgage when I had it, the taxes, and to make sure all the T's were crossed and all the I's were dotted.

If you have a copy of any prior years bill, that is all the information you need to pay this year's bill. As soon as you hear rumors of what the tax % increase is for the current year, go in and pay that. They aren't likely to do anything for a full year other than add interest. If they do decide to do something, and you don't receive the notice of repossession, they won't allow that as an excuse, so getter done.

Money is so worthless now, I just made a guess and paid extra.

Do not wait past the normal time to receive your bill. Be proactive.

As we have just learned up here, once you stick your neck out, you become a refugee. It's getting to be a big club and, we the peasants, are all in it.

As we have just learned up here, once you stick your neck out, you become a refugee. It's getting to be a big club and, we the peasants, are all in it.
I have thought that this was a plan for many years now, to make us all peasants, again, with a few exceptions. If the cost of things like taxes raise way above a retirement income, and it easily could, senior citizens could lose their homes and property.

Taxes for the year are due by Dec 31. They charge 1% late fee if you are even one day late (even if they are closed from Xmas to Jan 3 like they were this year-- so people really had to pay by the day before Xmas). We have homestead exemption on ours and we don't live within city limits so they can't bug us about it. Got our friend homestead exemption from the Parish but he still has to pay $60 to the city.

Got up early to help my friend transport a couch. Neighbor of the person where we were getting the couch was suspicious at first. Then I commented on his pretty doggy and he started gushing about how much he loves his dogs. I gave him a couple meaty bones for them. The pit bull was hopping up and down and spinning in circles because she was so excited.

Picked up boudin at a quick stop, went to Walmart for RX and canned cat food. The small cans now cost more than the big cans used to cost. Got home and gave mom some boudin. Gave my sick cat his meds. He slept on Mom so he's feeling much better. He was grooming himself after I gave him meds. Then I gave him his favorite canned food. He only ate a little, but it was better than nothing. He keeps wanting to drink out of the water tub in the kitchen (I use a dish tub to give the cats water bc the drink so much so fast). Broke up a cat fight- they are staying inside more with it being cold out and getting crabby with each other.

About to nap now.

Sorry I have been offline today. :confused:
Got to watch our local Mardi Gras parade today.😍
148 floats.😲 They shut the whole city down for 6 hours.
Now, they do throw stuff at you, we got plenty of beads so I don't try to catch nuthin.
This year they got me.:confused:
When they showered the crowd with these, I confess, I bit:
IMG_20220226_155919.jpg

Unbelievably identical to the real thing, until you...
Read closely.

Just looked on Prepared Society and the top poster for the whole month had one post.
Okay, now I am looking around there off and on today. Looks like you had the most points, whatever that meant. You had many likes and were a top poster, but I am not sure what the points were for. I don't have any memory of points.
PS, most points.JPG

Spent the day cutting metal roofing with a angle grinder. Got everything in to 2' lengths. Rained most of the afternoon and just a nasty cool north wind. I got wet and cold after a while. But that part is done. I'll start assembling the frame and attaching the metal for the raised beds next week. One I get the first three in place and loaded with wood I'll get a couple loads of compost to fill them with. Once those are full, I'll put the last 2 beds in place and load them.

Spent the day cutting metal roofing with a angle grinder. Got everything in to 2' lengths. Rained most of the afternoon and just a nasty cool north wind. I got wet and cold after a while. But that part is done. I'll start assembling the frame and attaching the metal for the raised beds next week. One I get the first three in place and loaded with wood I'll get a couple loads of compost to fill them with. Once those are full, I'll put the last 2 beds in place and load them.
Won't be long now!!🌱🌼🐝

I had understood that on top of the logs branches and twigs were added and then leaves on top of that. The branches and leaves slow the settling of the compost.

Lacking branches and leaves maybe a layer or 2 of cardboard?

Ben

I always hated Mardi Gras. First and last time I ever went, there was some miserable b*** in a wheelchair who grabbed my sister's arm & hand, dug her fingernails into her skin & then bent my sister's fingers backwards until she hurt her & made her cry to steal beads from her hand that she caught. When she ripped them out of my sister's hand they whipped me in the face and it was very very cold that day which made it hurt worse. Dad said it was the closest he'd ever come to punching a woman. Wheelchair or no, doesn't give someone an excuse to hurt children to steal something from them. The lady already had a bunch of beads already anyway. Then two idiots shot each other over some dabloons and the police wouldn't stop when we were trying to tell them to get an ambulance. Mom had to stop ever the barrier and put her hands on the front of the police vehicle to tell them "People have been shot". They were threatening to arrest her for drunk and disorderly when everyone around started saying "People have been SHOT!" and one little girl was wailing bc her daddy was one of the ones who shot someone and got shot. My dad had to pull out his badge and flash it at them to get them to finally listen and told them there were two shootings & they needed to call dispatch for paramedics. This was before the 911 system was fully developed there.

I wonder how many people will think those fake hundreds are real. Probably will leave them as tips to fake out waitstaff.

I got woken from my nap bc mom wanted food. Struggled to get out of bed. Got a headache and back ache. Waiting for naprosyn to kick in. Mom just called bc one of the cats got into the living room and is running around knocking things down. When my headache clears enough I have to get back up and get him. He's my snuggle buddy so he'll come right to me at least.

Worked from 4AM to 5PM yesterday, but the dispatcher kicked us off the tracks at 10:30AM today. So I came back to the hotel and took a nap. Got my bags packed gassed up the truck for the drive home tomorrow. If I leave by 2PM I should get home somewhere around 5:30AM Monday. Then I'll take Tuesday off to recover and report for my new position on Wednesday. Looking forward to being at home every night...

Worked from 4AM to 5PM yesterday, but the dispatcher kicked us off the tracks at 10:30AM today. So I came back to the hotel and took a nap. Got my bags packed gassed up the truck for the drive home tomorrow. If I leave by 2PM I should get home somewhere around 5:30AM Monday. Then I'll take Tuesday off to recover and report for my new position on Wednesday. Looking forward to being at home every night...
Thank God for that!

Being at home at nights you be you instead of a suitcase warior.

Ben

Hey Weedy...looks like theyre' making those points up ha ha. Kind of like the Drew Carey Show where the points don't matter.
Yes. I always have to second guess myself. What did I miss? Or what did I forget? Still interesting to see how many of their top people were part of the exodus over here and how a few were probably never invited, and we know why.

We went to visit mom for awhile while daughter and her boyfriend were here. While they were visiting, I took the opportunity to clean out a small box of trash and ads in her end table cupboard and found her certified birth certificate and $120. She hides things well and then cant remember. The $$ cracked me up...wrapped in a grocery coupon ad, then put in a small white paper sack, then stuff in an empty panty hose wrapper, then in the box in the middle of other junk. Then we all went to the bowling alley, but it was too long a wait so we played games in the arcade.

I wonder how much money has ended up in the dump over the years.

Drove 45 min one way to the institute of finances. I withdrew some monopoly money for playing the game. I then went to the feed store to increase my investments.

First thing I noticed was people going in maskless and not getting chased out, so I did my part as well. That led me to trying a bulk store across the road. It was 50/50 in there and no one said boo. I guess the resistance is evolving. So for the first time in over a year, I didn't need my fake mask.

I won't be driving much after this. 1/4 tank of 87 was $28.00 US

I am getting worried. This is a crap time to not be home for most of 4 months.

I had understood that on top of the logs branches and twigs were added and then leaves on top of that. The branches and leaves slow the settling of the compost.

Lacking branches and leaves maybe a layer or 2 of cardboard?

Ben

I usually do chicken wire then cardboard down. But this time I'm covering the entire area with cardboard hoping to knock the weeds and grass down. Then set the beds in place and line with chicken wire. After that load about 12" more or less with logs and limbs, then fill with compost. After a couple years the wood starts rotting and settles and I have to go back and top off the compost. Probably have to do that every year or two. But it'll be some really rich dirt to grow veggies in and shouldn't require much in the way of fertilize and no weed killer type stuff.

Got into argument with daughter last night ( she is about 5 hours away at the moment). It's amazing how anytime I disagree with her on anything she very quickly threatens to not come visit us anymore for whatever reason. She has done that before. Its like she must be right at all cost , or she doesn't care about her family. Sometimes I am very tempted to tell her fine, don't visit! But I usually just say nothing until it blows over. Sometimes I really think being a parent is not something you get a lot of happiness from.

My MIL used to do that until we called her on it. She said if you don't come for Thanksgiving then don't bother coming over at all. We didn't go (already had other plans) and when she called and asked when we would be coming up for Christmas hubby reminded her that we weren't welcome. She back pedaled and hasn't done it since.

Well, good night everyone. It's an hour and 45 minutes past my bed time. After I get my 8 hours in it will be 9:00 am, half the day gone.

I've been up for a couple of hours and plan to run over to WM when they open, I want to pick up some paper goods and junk food before the day gets going. I regret not getting the lumber and hardware yesterday to make the new solar array base, I was hoping to get some outdoor stain to start painting the frames of the raised beds (the wife wants them beautified). Well it's 10 of 06:00 so I guess I can wander over there and take a little stroll.

Happy Sunday

Latest posts

Back