What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a small garden wagon, handy. The most I ever put in it, maybe 100lbs, couple bags of feed, buckets of water etc.

Dad managed to have a tire blow out with it. No idea, didn't even ask, just have to fix it. Picked up a new tire and tube, soaked the bolts that hold the rim together with wd40. Tomorrow...

Didn't do anything else today but take dad for groceries. Told him last time to think about using their "online order service". Today it took 1hr 40min for him to find and select 17 items... next week maybe he'll be ready to let me order online.

How does a garden wagon tire "blow out"? And it Blew!

garden wagon flat  1 .JPG
 garden wagon flat  2 .JPG

This is one of two pieces of equipment used in Montessori classrooms. The other is the binomial cube. They are first introduced sensorially. Later, they are used to help teach algebra. I have the formulas written in my Montessori albums, somewhere.
Tell me more tell me more

Ben

Possibly dry rot. I have a small trailer that came with an old mower, hadn't used it in a while and pulled it out. Both tires were trash. I had kept it in the shop the entire time. Still need to replace those.
Agreed.

Thay plus over inflation. They are usually low pressure. I had to install an inner tube in a tire on one of my gorilla carts due to me being clumsy stepping on and breaking the valve.

Ben

Tell me more tell me more

Ben

Well, it is a lot. The curriculum for 3 to 6 year olds includes 4 areas, written into notebooks, called albums. Practical life, Sensorial, Language and Math. But, there is also cultural curriculum that includes geography, botany, zoology, history. This was not a required album when I trained, but I wish it had been. The math curriculum for 3 to 6 year olds includes learning 1 to 10, teens, the decimal system (units, tens, hundreds, thousands) counting to 1000, the operations and geometry. The binomial and trinomial cubes at this age are in the sensorial albums, because they are taught sensorially, not mathematically yet. Children take the pieces apart, sort them into like pieces, and build the cube, in three layers, one layer at a time. The red layer is first (a), blue second (b) and yellow (c) last. Later, more in upper elementary, the algebraic formulas are taught for this material.

Ben, its looking good!

I played Elder Scrolls Online while feeling cruddy. Got up to feed mom and ate a little. napped. Ate some more. Then was having a strong urge to go check the pumps/cistern to see if it was overflowing again. Went in and flipped unjammed the lever and started pointing the flashlight around to see how badly it flooded. Saw my oldest cat sitting in the water half dead. I grabbed him up carefully, held him against me to warm him, and got him back inside as quickly as possible. Grabbed a towel from the bathroom, set him on the potato bin and started drying him off. Offered him food but he wasn't interested. Took him to Mom's room and set him on the bed so I could go to the bathroom. After awhile he got up and came in wanting water. Mom keeps a water bowl for the dog in the bathroom. I told my brother what happened and he left his gaming to come see the kitty. He got the kitty purring again but he's in pain. We're taking him to the vet first thing in the morning. For now he's on a heated blanket in my brother's room. Even though he reeks of wet cow manure and old cow urine. Not sure what happened. He could have fallen off the shed or gotten into a fight. But he's hurting and I'm hoping he'll make it through the night. Vets here aren't great. I'm hoping it's minor bruising and no internal bleeding.

Have been up since about 2:45 :rolleyes: Hubby doesn't have normal sleep hours. I'm gonna need a nap but won't get one - full day, full speed ahead. Actually not full speed due to roads being covered with snow and ice. Will be heading over the mountain in a bit. Are there any other early birds here who are annoyed by businesses that don't open until 9:30-10AM? That's almost lunch time! A perk is I will be multitasking. I was able to find a spare pair of boots in my size at the Big 5 where I'm going. Called yesterday and asked them to hold them for me until today. The only pair within a 100+ ml. radius.

Have been up since about 2:45 :rolleyes: Hubby doesn't have normal sleep hours. I'm gonna need a nap but won't get one - full day, full speed ahead. Actually not full speed due to roads being covered with snow and ice. Will be heading over the mountain in a bit. Are there any other early birds here who are annoyed by businesses that don't open until 9:30-10AM? That's almost lunch time! A perk is I will be multitasking. I was able to find a spare pair of boots in my size at the Big 5 where I'm going. Called yesterday and asked them to hold them for me until today. The only pair within a 100+ ml. radius.
I can get more done before 9am than most people do in a day!!

Big fat sheep finally had her lambs....all 5 of them! one didn't make it but the other ones seem ok

It took her 4 hours yesterday to have them all but she is ok and not rejecting any of the lambs, but I will have to help her feed them. So the house guest one still does not have a buddy. She is hopping around in the livingroom at the moment but I will put her in the barn with the rest of the ewes and babies later for a while . Until she is down to 3 bottles a day and the weather improves she stays in the house at night.

Still pouring, and I noticed we are running out of bedding for the barn ( got a load of straw last fall but not enough). We never have enough hay or bedding regardless of how much we get it seems. We do have old hay we can use but I hate doing it since it is dusty and crappy

Got into argument with daughter last night ( she is about 5 hours away at the moment). It's amazing how anytime I disagree with her on anything she very quickly threatens to not come visit us anymore for whatever reason. She has done that before. Its like she must be right at all cost , or she doesn't care about her family. Sometimes I am very tempted to tell her fine, don't visit! But I usually just say nothing until it blows over. Sometimes I really think being a parent is not something you get a lot of happiness from.

Well, the new little boy did much better last night.
We did get some sleep.
He was whining at midnight, so I got up and let him go pee. He whined a few minutes. He was whining again at 4 am , pee and pooped. Then at 6:30 , he was whining again, I got up and stayed up ...peed and pooped again. Much better night.

He goes to Vet at 2pm for checkup.

Still cold and icy outside .

Next week in 60s everyday , he will learn how to go outside.

Jim

Big fat sheep finally had her lambs....all 5 of them! one didn't make it but the other ones seem ok

It took her 4 hours yesterday to have them all but she is ok and not rejecting any of the lambs, but I will have to help her feed them. So the house guest one still does not have a buddy. She is hopping around in the livingroom at the moment but I will put her in the barn with the rest of the ewes and babies later for a while . Until she is down to 3 bottles a day and the weather improves she stays in the house at night.

Still pouring, and I noticed we are running out of bedding for the barn ( got a load of straw last fall but not enough). We never have enough hay or bedding regardless of how much we get it seems. We do have old hay we can use but I hate doing it since it is dusty and crappy

Got into argument with daughter last night ( she is about 5 hours away at the moment). It's amazing how anytime I disagree with her on anything she very quickly threatens to not come visit us anymore for whatever reason. She has done that before. Its like she must be right at all cost , or she doesn't care about her family. Sometimes I am very tempted to tell her fine, don't visit! But I usually just say nothing until it blows over. Sometimes I really think being a parent is not something you get a lot of happiness from.
I have never seen a ewe have 5 lambs!

Today it is raining, when I looked outside this morning I saw rain with ice-cycles hanging down, so I assume it is a cold rain.

I am off today and "had" planned to work outside. I had some old planting containers in the house with soil in them, I cleaned and screened the soil into a 5 gallon bucket, I added some screened potting soil, some bone meal, and a bunch of Perlite. I ended up sifting it 3 times to get a clean fluffy mix that will go into my next pots of indoor carrots. I was amazed at how many sticks and things I found while sifting the potting mix, I used a bucket insert used for sorting brass as my sifter and it worked quite well. I have one of those rotating metal composting drums that the lids will not stay closed on, I may just install some hinges and a couple of latches to make it useful for breaking down root bound soil into something I can re-use.

I may break one of my own rules and run some errands in the middle of the day, that is assuming my wife can get her list together.

Daughter and the boyfriend don't get up till about 11 am, so was busy with chores around here while they slept. Went into the bigger town to bring daughter shopping at Kohls. Then off to lunch. Came back for awhile and I took them to our local fowl sale. Always fun to look around during the auction. It was a small one, though, mostly because of the weather. Up to 30 degrees today was all. The had rabbits, chickens, turkeys, peacocks, and geese. Some household and farm items off to the side. We'll be leaving in a half hour or so to go to the liverwurst and fried mush dinner at the Menno church.

went to Cascade today. Stocked up on dog and chicken food.
Then headed to home depot and bought the lumber to build the chicken coop at the new property. Got some potting soil and plant food, 5 gal buckets to make a homemade water filter, some Kilz to prime the new coop with. Also got a warmer thingy for the hose for the RV so it doesn't freeze again in all this cold weather.
Went out to lunch with the hubby, we split a pizza, haven't gotten to hang out together for awhile.
Daughter has club vball practice tonight. Heading up north this weekend for her volleyball tournament.

It was a busy day here, I went to work this morning trying to finish the 4 homes I have closing next week. We will have to work through the weekend to finish those. I had to come back home and pick up Alexandra she had a new home that she had sold closing in town today the roads were terrible and no way her car would make it down the mountain this morning. While I was taking her home she got a call from a client who wanted to make an offer on a 1400 acre parcel so she got that submitted. We just cleaned up dinner and set down. Hell of a good day.

Friday is floor scrubbing day. Today I used the steam mop. Fun day.

Our weather people have been off so much for the last week. Missed the temp by about 10 degrees and said it would be sunny and we didn't have one minute of sunshine. It was hard to make outside plans.

Our weather people have been off so much for the last week. Missed the temp by about 10 degrees and said it would be sunny and we didn't have one minute of sunshine. It was hard to make outside plans.

Praying for your precious kitty @zannej
Thank you. I appreciate it. He made it through the night. He even absconded at one point when I wasn't looking for a couple minutes (I was shining a flashlight over every few minutes to make sure he was still sitting in my laundry basket at about 2 min intervals). I freaked out when he was out and started looking around. He wasn't inside. My brother and I went out and searched for him with flashlights but didn't find him. Thought he'd crawled under the house to die. It got to 34° last night and was cold so I bundled up with my orange kitty and was huddled under the covers with him and didn't even see the sun come up. My brother woke me around 6am to say he had gone out to look and found the kitty just sitting out in the field. He brought him in and warmed him up.
Vet was surprised too when I called her to tell her. We have had 4 once. Our goats often have 5, we have one that has had 6 of them 3 times, all except one lived

Waiting for rain to stop to clean. It is supposed to stop this afternoon.
Wow! I didn't even know sheep could have that many at once! I had a goat who had twins almost every time (except one time she had triplets). I bottlefed the runt of the triplets bc she rejected her. She got to stay inside as well. I wonder if lambs are similar to kids. Do sheep eat grass and weeds the way goats do?

I was surprised at how proactive my brother was on looking after the cat. He even let the cat sleep on his bed despite the fact that he reeks of cow crap and urine. We think the cows pissed on some of their crap and he sat in it while wet. He actually stopped his gaming to come see the cat when I first told him about finding him in the shed. He even carried the bulky cat carrier around. We took Boo to the vet. They said there are no signs of injury but he's super fluffy so its hard to tell. Did bloodwork. WBC was over 35k and should be around 3 to 5k. Signs of kidney failure. She figures he has a kidney infection and is hoping if the infection clears his kidneys might work again. No promises. He got IV fluids for a few hours. Won't touch food though. she left IV catheter in so we can take him in tomorrow for more fluids. Need to get him to eat or get a large syringe to mix food with water and forcefeed him. Not a fun option but I've had to do it with sick cats before. I tried cleaning him off and he let me get his face and back just fine but started getting upset about me touching his back legs and rear. He let me wipe him down earlier but I don't know if he's in pain or what, but he got upset and started growling. No actual aggression, just letting me know he didn't like it. So, he still stinks and that is why he's on my brother's bed. :p
I also wiped down my poor scabby kitty Temjin who has some sort of skin issue going on. We got a flea collar on her brother, but she has too many scabs and I am worried the stuff directly touching them on her neck will make it worse. Might find something to put under the collar to protect her skin though. I'm hoping keeping fleas at bay will help her to not itch as much. Also planning to take her in for some treatment to reduce the inflammation/irritation. Ordered lysine treats to give them both.

I call it Friday Floorday here - try to do my floors on Fridays. Didn't happen today as I covered many miles but took care of some important things on the prep front.
I might have mentioned it in the weather thread, but Tasha Tudor and her friends called it the Possibility Bureau rather than the Weather Bureau. I think that is more appropriate.

good night ladies. I have another hour.

Latest posts

Back