What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was warm one day and then cold the next. Then warm last night but cold this morning. Well, cold is relative. Still rainy.
I posted on "lost and found pets" for my area on FB. The owner saw the message and said she'd been worried about him & she'd come get him. Last night he got comfortable enough to jump on my bed to follow Princess (he's neutered but he adores her). But one of the cats scared him and he was too afraid to get back up again. So he slept on a dog bed on the floor instead. Owner is a busdriver & came to get him this morning. My brother was taking the trash out and bringing in some heavy packages. He had to put Princess up in the living room. She didn't want her friend to leave and Ziggy didn't want to leave her. Owner had to drag him away. I let her know in PMs that I expect the dog to try to come back and visit and that I'm fine with him visiting but I'll let her know so she knows he's safe.
I had to get up very early to feed the cats because they were waking me up wanting food. Hammy did what I call a "pounce announce". Meow while he is leaping through the air to pounce on me. So there's a meow and an "oof" as he hits my solar plexis. LOL.
Planning to pick up mail later today.

UGH! That p.o.s. entertainment stand! Particle board junk! My friend's ex bought that exact one in a gray wood color. Weak a$$ thing nearly broke while being assembled and started falling apart within a month. Screws come out of the hinges bc particle board is weak. I will no longer buy furniture from Walmart. I got a space saver cabinet to go over my toilet. Holes weren't in the right places for hinges, back was thin cardboard, screws came out and doors fell off. Junk. Sadly, the oak one I wanted went up from $90 to $144. Still thinking of getting it because it is much sturdier.

Once on a cross country move the moving company damaged my tv stand, pressboard, glass doors, nothing fancy, cheap. New ones were $300 and up. I think they paid me $250 for the damage.

My first week in the new town I met a guy with a cabinet shop, said work was slow.

I had him make me this stand out of oak. He made it to match my oak end tables and coffee table perfectly. $350... This thing is heavy but made from real wood, about 28"x58". 2 big drawers which I now use for ammo. It has a shelf for the days when everyone had vcr's. I removed the shelf and use it for more storage.

Tv Stand a.JPG

Last edited:
And this is why I now buy my stuff at ACE, True Value, or Lowes. Home Depot requires all employees to wear a cloth mask over their nose and under their chin, Lowes and other major chains allow a clear face shield, ACE and True Value do not require either (at least around here).
I think I will start wearing my Home Depot employee shirt when I go to Lowes, just for fun.
1645645222613.png

Counter install day!

20220223_115944_HDR.jpg

The fuys had to work to get 5he big slab inplace
20220223_120709_HDR.jpg

20220223_120835_HDR.jpg

The cabinets are level enough minimal shimming was required
20220223_124505_HDR.jpg

The seam setters used to clamp the seams. Note the knobs in the center were not needed to get the joints straight.
20220223_124512.jpg

20220223_133739_HDR.jpg

Back splashes installed and all cleaned up.
20220223_134232_HDR.jpg

20220223_134251_HDR.jpg

Happy with the farm house sink.
20220223_134318_HDR.jpg

I had get up early for the event but was worth it. I think I will take a nap to celebrate!

Ben

And this is why I now buy my stuff at ACE, True Value, or Lowes. Home Depot requires all employees to wear a cloth mask over their nose and under their chin, Lowes and other major chains allow a clear face shield, ACE and True Value do not require either (at least around here).
I think I will start wearing my Home Depot employee shirt when I go to Lowes, just for fun.
View attachment 81007
I think it's hilarious that they keep pointing out you'd be eligible for rehire - like anyone would want to go back to a company that put them through this! 95% of my purchases now go through our local, "independent" hardware store. They are a subsidiary of the largest local contractor's building supply subsidiary, and I suspect exist so the company owners don't have to shop at HD or Lowes ;) So not exactly the small mom and pop I'd prefer to patronize, but they've never asked me or their employees to mask up, which is good enough for me!

I think today's going to be the start of something good! After spending 1/2 the day on the phone, I finally go through to someone at our shower place who understood why we're upset they haven't installed our new shower (I already tore out the old one and replaced the less than stable floor). I understand it's the supplier/manufacturer's fault but they should be riding the supplier so they can take care of the customer! I'm being promised some sort of discount and expedited install once they can get all the parts in - hopefully the end of this week or beginning of next week.

If we get an honest to goodness working shower again, I will be such a happy man. No more hosing myself down like one of the dogs in a utility tub!

@Peanut the cabinet looks great! I'm spoiled by having had a friend who was an carpenter as a hobby. He helped my father make the oak cabinets in the kitchen and he made a lot of stuff for us over the years. We provided lumber and he didn't charge because he enjoyed doing it. We paid for cat food and took his wife to the grocery store (she never had a driver's license) when he got up in age & couldn't drive with her anymore.

@Neb the kitchen looks great! You going with some sort of tile backsplash or will you get a stainless steel behind the stove? My friend has a magnetic stainless steel one and we added 2" aluminum angle stock as a shelf on the side. Plan to add one behind eventually. I see you have an LG stove. Make sure you keep all of the warranty info so you can return it if it has problems. My friend's LG stopped heating on the outside ring of one of the burners after less than a year but he had lost the receipt and warranty info so he couldn't return it for a new one. I've heard on the houserepair forum that Lowes will no longer bother with trying to get LG's fixed. They replace them. It's a shame.

@Terri9630 I got stuck behind a drunk driver (I assume drunk) on a freeway coming back from Houston one time. It was a 5 or 6 lane road and this dude was weaving over 3 lanes. Couldn't get a good read on the license plate, but I got over into the far left lane to get around and passed him/her. Other drivers were having to change lanes abruptly to avoid getting hit. My phone was being used for GPS & Mom didn't have hers on her so we couldn't call the police.

@TeeJ I hope you get your shower soon. Hopefully they won't rush the work when they do it. Fast is not necessarily good work. I still need to get my shower fixed and the other two showers installed. Been taking sink baths for now.

Poor Ziggy the dog came back & I let the owner know. Said he could hang out for awhile but they wanted to get him right away. They loaded him in the back of their pickup on a rope. He jumped out and slipped his collar before moving. So the teenage girl had to sit on the back tailgate with the dog tethered inside and her holding him as they drove off. Princess was distraught. She chased after them so they stopped so I could catch her and bring her inside. Poor doggy will miss her boyfriend. Apparently he's not neutered but he's so fluffy I couldn't tell. Not sure if she's spayed or not. Vet couldn't tell but she's never seemed to go into heat. We'll find out if she ends up with puppies.

I think today's going to be the start of something good! After spending 1/2 the day on the phone, I finally go through to someone at our shower place who understood why we're upset they haven't installed our new shower (I already tore out the old one and replaced the less than stable floor). I understand it's the supplier/manufacturer's fault but they should be riding the supplier so they can take care of the customer! I'm being promised some sort of discount and expedited install once they can get all the parts in - hopefully the end of this week or beginning of next week.

If we get an honest to goodness working shower again, I will be such a happy man. No more hosing myself down like one of the dogs in a utility tub!
Pioneer living at its finest - heehee
@INresponse Both look good! (I think Pearl already said that.)
@Neb It's sure coming together and really looking nice.

I try not to work at work on Fridays. It is simply amazing to me how my day to work on my projects gets swallowed up by things! This Friday, I get to drive over the mountain to get some things, will hopefully be home by lunch then am expecting a call in the afternoon to go pick up another something. Geesh! They are both borderline optional, but in the same note, the way things are going, I am not going to wait.

I don't know if you are building a shower or buying a fiberglass unit but I have to order shower units literally 20 weeks ahead of time.

I probably need to get a new TV stand also. I've got a 42" flat screen, dumb TV from about 2009. I should probably join the modern age and upgrade to a 50" smart TV. But I need a corner stand and I want a decent quality one.
Give a little time and it will break and you will need to get another one. My screen went white. It was time for a new one. I have had a few that were given to me. Last one was a hand me up from daughter. The new ones allow you to connect to the internet, your phone, etc.

Pioneer living at its finest - heehee
@INresponse Both look good! (I think Pearl already said that.)
@Neb It's sure coming together and really looking nice.

What I liked was not so much the counter that I expected to be good but rather ...

The job my brother ( @Firepolice271 ) did getting the cabinets all level across the entire counter. The installers had to shave down shims since standard shims were to thick to fit the gaps between the bottom of 5he counter and the cabinets. He used a razor blade to shim behind the sink. When they first laid out the sections, I heard the installer say "Easy peasy". When checking with an 8' level he said "That is dead on level." That level was back in the truck in minutes.

The next thing I liked was they were 3 minutes early for the start time.

And the other thing that was pleasing was the under cabinet lighting ended up uniform, bright, and virtually shadowless.

I am pleased.

Ben

Last edited:
I went to visit my wonderful long-time piano teacher today. I've been visiting her once or twice every week for the two years since she had to stop teaching due to potential for covid. She's two weeks shy of 95 now, on hospice, resting at home, and no longer responsive. I sat with her, held her hand, and we listened to several of the classical pieces that she taught me over the years. Her priest came to visit right after me. I hope I get to visit her again, but that's probably not in the cards at this point. Such a wonderful lady. She's not just my piano teacher ... she's my dear friend as well. Be at peace, Gail.

[...

@Neb the kitchen looks great! You going with some sort of tile backsplash or will you get a stainless steel behind the stove? My friend has a magnetic stainless steel one and we added 2" aluminum angle stock as a shelf on the side. Plan to add one behind eventually. I see you have an LG stove. Make sure you keep all of the warranty info so you can return it if it has problems. My friend's LG stopped heating on the outside ring of one of the burners after less than a year but he had lost the receipt and warranty info so he couldn't return it for a new one. I've heard on the houserepair forum that Lowes will no longer bother with trying to get LG's fixed. They replace them. It's a shame.

The backsplash will be some type of tile. The choice hasn't been been made yet. We are sticking with a farm house look since the window looks out on the neighbor's horse farm which amounts to a living picture. Maybe Pennsylvania Dutch. I liked the tile in our other rental property and my brother likes tile and the ease of upkeep. Stay tuned to see what he has planned for the showers.

Re: stove
By the time we finish off this adventure, the warranty will almost be expired. Both my brother and I can repair appliances provided we can source parts and the parts are cost effective.

Ben

What I liked was not so much the counter that I expected to be good but rather ...

The job my brother ( @Firepolice271 ) did getting the cabinets all level across the entire counter. The installers had to shave down shims since standard shims were to thick to fit the gaps between the bottom of 5he counter and the cabinets. He used a razor blade to shim behind the sink. When they first laid out the sections, I heard the installer say "Easy peasy". When checking with an 8' level he said "That is dead on level." That level was back in the truck in minutes.

The next thing I liked was they were 3 minutes early for the start time.

And the other thing that was pleasing was the under cabinet lighting ended up uniform, bright, and virtually shadowless.

I am pleased.

Ben
I've done a kitchen - each one of those things you mentioned is an area of potential catastrophe. Glad it went so smoothly!

Latest posts

Back