What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted the other day about a little garden wagon that had a tire blow out. Dad was with me in town and insisted on stopping at a small engine shop for a new tire and tube, $32. They were the right size. Wrong!

The lip of the tire sidewall is so thick it covered the hole for the tube valve stem. I beat that tire for an hour... I finally got it where half the hole was clear. The metal valve on the end of the stem still wouldn't go through the hole.

Today I went to town, the place I bought the wagon. They had a no-flat tire with the same tread pattern and mounted on a new rim... $19. Dad, bless his heart thinks it's still 1970 when you could go any where for a tire and tube. These days the best chance of getting a replacement part is where you bought the item.

New tire on the wagon, got the critters fed. Then my cousin delivered 11.5tons of chicken manure. Guess I'll be spreading it out tomorrow.

Thick side wall lip...

Wagon wheel  3 a.JPG

I spent a good part of the day in an on line Spectrum Management class. 2 more days to go. It was exciting I tell you.
Came by a sporting goods store to exchange a damaged ladder I got my dad for his boat. Picked up a bunch of hooks and 2 spools of line. Figured that couldn't hurt to have on hand. Also got 2 boxes of 12ga #8.

I made a trip to the powder coater this morning- dropped off and picked up. Came back got one or two things done, ate, then off to accountant for tax time - yay. Isn't that everybody's happy day 🤪 I still have to verify a couple numbers of course. New payroll system this year so need to verify tax reports are accurate. My poor little brain is exhausted! Another day tomorrow.
On a lighter note it was about 60* and gorgeous here today.

This morning at the Alleycat resource cleaning, then home and mounted the can crusher on the outside wall. A local guy collects cans to benefit the Fire Department, so my squooshed cans will have a good home.

Good evening everyone.
Trying out a new router. 🤞🏼 Can you hear me now? How bout now?
Been a long day. Still got a bit to do.
Found a “new” quilt shop today. Boy that place could get me in a lot of trouble. Got one fabric I need for a quilt I’m working on for my mother in law. Needed 2 so I’m closer I think. Got great feedback from the quilters on the blocks I brought in. Not sure if they were just being nice or not but I appreciate the compliments.
Spent a fortune fueling up my truck while I was in town where it’s “cheaper”.
Not many masks. Was nice to see people smile.

Glad to see you out and having a good time. I have a half hour before I hit the sack. I got a little done and got to see my two boys today.

I've done that before. Go out when I really would rather not. Come back feeling good because I had a great time.
The next time I am a little more likely to go even when I am not in really good condition.
I have to go out to shoot and I have a grand daughter who always wants to go shooting. She's not a bad shot either but she does have to learn to move the trigger without moving the gun. She is a little young yet so I have time before she forms any bad habits. I have to get her to shoot my AR.

She is a beautiful little girl who is learning how to manipulate her dad... it doesn't work with me. I tell her doing that will make her ugly. She doesn't get it yet but she is bright. Her mother and sister have that inner beauty that shines out through their skin. Like my wife.

She has so much to learn and so many teachers. I'm just grampa but I can be fun. (or funny)?! I can only be me.

We're in doggie hospice mode. :(

I was working at the farm (the flooring installation is kicking my butt) when the neighbor came to tell me my husband had called and was distraught. (We don't have a landline at the farm, and it's too rural/hilly for cell, so hubby had called one of our awesome neighbors.) He said Remington had taken a turn for the worse, and he didn't think he'd make it. So I hurried back, as worried about DH as I am about Remmy. With so much piling up, this is hitting DH hard.

Remmy's death seemed imminent when I first arrived home, but since then he's perked up a bit. He's even eaten a little and has gone outside to pee. So it's hard to say, but I still think we're looking at only a few days. He's so skinny and weak. But he doesn't seem to be in pain, and that's all I've prayed for.

Now I just have to hold it together for DH's sake.

Awe, @goshengirl I'm sorry. How old is Remington?

Our dog will be 13 in May; he's obviously old and definitely not agile anymore and is like 90% deaf. When he goes my mom is going to take it hard. We don't think we'll get another dog for a while after him. He's such a great dog. Seems every dog just gets better and keeps raising the bar.

Awe, @goshengirl I'm sorry. How old is Remington?
Thanks, Katie. We think he's about 12. When we adopted two dogs from the pound, the pound said they were both 2 years old. But Remmy was clearly younger, and Sparky was clearly older. Sparky has always been a sort of 'special needs' dog and we thought she'd go first - but now I think she's just too stubborn.

I got all the 'wife points' I'll ever need when I brought Remmy home to my hubby.... He's a special boy.

post to HCL - Remmington.jpg
post to HCL - Remmy and Gerry.jpg

I knew that...lol I think you told me that before but I forgot....forgot "does" can be rabbits....feeling silly now....

No worries. I do want dairy goats. I also want dairy cows but space will dictate what we end up with once we move. The first new animal we get is our egg laying flock and maybe some meat birds.

I have been shopping around for a small camper/trailer/rv to turn into the "bunny barn" for our move. I have been looking and strategizing how I am going to move 5 rabbits, 4 cats, 2 dogs and 2 kids in my wagon without having a melt down every day on the road. I figure with a camper the cats can free roam during the drive. I also thought if I can keep the buns in their hutches and not have to get travel holes (small traveling cages for show rabbits) it will keep things less stressful for us all.

Ordered 2 Baofeng radios from BaofengTech website. Much cheaper than amazon and free shipping from their location in South Dakota.
https://baofengtech.com/product/bf-f8hp/Also got the longer antenna for each radio and one computer cord to program them.

My uncle bought one from Amazon a couple months ago and was bugging me to get one, so I got two. He has some programming stuff to add in a bunch of the local government channels, to listen but not transmit, and some other common local channels that would be helpful in some situations. I will get them set up, test them, and probably secure them in an ammo can only taking them out occasionally to charge the batteries.
If I have two and keep them shielded they will be there if needed.

Thanks, Katie. We think he's about 12. When we adopted two dogs from the pound, the pound said they were both 2 years old. But Remmy was clearly younger, and Sparky was clearly older. Sparky has always been a sort of 'special needs' dog and we thought she'd go first - but now I think she's just too stubborn.

I got all the 'wife points' I'll ever need when I brought Remmy home to my hubby.... He's a special boy.
Sorry to hear about Remmy. Our dogs are so special and it's so tough to go through this.
Prayers and blessings to your family.

In regards to Remmy, for me it has always helped to have a little time to say goodbye. I am glad that you have that.

I was sneezing last night and didn't sleep well. Seemed ok this morning except for a little more sneezing and tired. No fever at all and I could certainly smell the turkey broth cooking overnight and today. May have been allergies and I am ok now.
I walked the dogs this morning, but not myself.
Worked on skimming, straining and canning the turkey broth today. The canners are cooling now.
Prayer meeting this evening.

@Katie Müller, he's a Husky/German Shephard mix. When he was younger, his Husky side was dominant - loved to run, loved the snow, etc. But in his latter years the German Shephard tendancy for leg/hip issues has shown itself. He has such a puppy personality, he doesn't understand that he doesn't have a puppy body. :(

I bet your Akita/German Shephard was a beauty! Our furbabies really are special members of the family. We are so blessed to have them in our lives.

@snappy1 , you are so right - I am very thankful for this time! The other day when I walked him, he was sort of acting funny and wanting to walk further than we normally do. Then it hit me - he's saying goodbye to his place. So we walked. It's been ages since he's been able to do a full perimeter walk, but he did it. He'd sit at times, looking over his favorite spots. It felt ceremonial, and I feel honored that I got to be with him for that.
And by the way, the idea of making turkey broth sounds awesome! I can a lot of chicken broth and/or stock, but not so much turkey.

I mentioned a couple weeks ago that the manager from Home Depot called me saying masks were not going away and I had until March 7th to decide if I would go back to work or resign. I could tell he was trying to get me to say I would resign so he could get me off the books but I told him I would wait to see if the people in charge would grow a brain and end the mask mandate for employees. Today I got a call from the asst manager who said the mask mandate for employees is done (for now anyways) and asked when I could start back to work. I will be hanging out with my son this weekend so I told him Monday would work. Part time, 7pm to 11pm, minimal customer contact and unloading trucks and stocking shelves.
This works out perfect for when I need to get to the back to pull a mortgage on this house. Even though I was on personal leave I was still employed and have been with HD for 5 of the last 6 years. The year off was when I quit the first time they demanded the mask in 2020. I hired back in May of 2021 when they stopped the mask mandate and worked 6 weeks before the brought it back. At that time they said I could take a Leave Of Absence instead of resigning.
I have been getting by without the paycheck but extra money will be helpful for a few months or so.

I completed my chimney rebuild. Added more screws to each section so 6 screws instead of 3 to hold each section together, used a 3/16" thick 1" aluminum angle as a brace up the back side held in place with 3 band clamps to keep things from wobbling in the high winds, and used 3 guy wires to anchor it to the roof so the wind can't push it around. It's only about 9 feet tall including the rain cap but it is not uncommon to get 60+mph winds around here and I just don't need it flying away. I made a short video of the effort so should have that posted in a day or two.

Back