What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More work to install another outside outlet. Both locations did not look tempting. One would be a pain to get wire too AnD required moving 15 palettes and debris. The other had less debris but getting the wire to it meant having to move piles of lumber to a nonexistent clear spot. Went with the second option.

I managed to get the lumber moved and a wire run from the junction box and the location where the outlet will be installed. That was enough for today.

I am going to get on Amazon to order a set if augers to replace the ones I butchered hitting screws I didn't see were there.

Maybe get that outlet mounted and functioning tomorrow.

Ben

Been an interesting morning so far. Responded a chimney fire. I've always got to take the moment and ask please please if you burn for heat..Wood or oil..please clean and maintain your chimney. Today was close to a tragedy.

That happened to some neighbors here ( these were city people that thought they could handle living out here like that, older and not in great shape and clueless) , they got lucky the house didn't burn down. They moved away after living here just a few years.
We get our cleaned by a professional chimney cleaner and inspector every year. He does any repairs also. Its like taxes, worth it to pay a professional

Went shopping today, got everything and then some. We added a few more propane containers and I got another gas container and filled it up. The women behind me at the walmart kept trying to tell me " you can get refills, you don't NEED to buy a new tank " , I had to explain to her I WANTED a few more tanks so we can store MORE propane....some people! I know she was just trying to be helpful
No major disasters today, hope the crazy guy is still locked up

It is supposed to get really cold again and snow Saturday, not looking forward to that at all, and I hope none of our goats have kids that day. They are due starting that exact day. Low is supposed to be like 5 degrees over night

Researching how to incubate eggs. Looks like we aren’t getting roosters anywhere locally this Year. Have never incubated eggs before. Always let a broody hen do it. We don’t know if our extremely old guy is even getting the job done anymore but we’re thinking about giving some eggs a go to see if we get lucky. would love a replacement rooster from him. He’s done well for us over the years.

Researching how to incubate eggs. Looks like we aren’t getting roosters anywhere locally this Year. Have never incubated eggs before. Always let a broody hen do it. We don’t know if our extremely old guy is even getting the job done anymore but we’re thinking about giving some eggs a go to see if we get lucky. would love a replacement rooster from him. He’s done well for us over the years.
Nobody around you has a young rooster you can buy?

Are you still looking to go to the Midwest, Erica? I sure hope you do!

Nobody around you has a young rooster you can buy?

Are you still looking to go to the Midwest, Erica? I sure hope you do!

Haven’t seen anything other than fighting roosters in a while. A few from shady sellers a few months back. Called the feed stores that sometime do sell roosters and they all say none this year.

Honestly we’re looking all over at this point. Even staying stuck in Ca which scares me. A lot will depend on if we can figure out the games Morgage companies play. Learned a lot from the last disaster at least. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Today was researching how to get rid of a skunk that has apparently taken up residence under a concrete slab back porch foundation.

Apparently the little pests don't like bright light. Many articles say to just turn on your outside lights. But me? No, that's not enough. So I've been researching parts to make a Home Improvement "Binford model" strobe light. Looking at a high intensity LED automotive strobes and a 12v power supply. Look at the video on the Amazon page for this thing. The initial modes at the start of the video are quite unimpressive. But as you move on further into the video, yeah man!, we've got some Binford strobe modes for sure! That should annoy the heck out of the skunk when I drop that down into his lair when he's trying to sleep!

www.amazon.com/dp/B0817T6C6H/?coliid=I31TYGBEWYYN9M&colid=12OOM7YOOKUHO&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

More work to install another outside outlet. Both locations did not look tempting. One would be a pain to get wire too AnD required moving 15 palettes and debris. The other had less debris but getting the wire to it meant having to move piles of lumber to a nonexistent clear spot. Went with the second option.

I managed to get the lumber moved and a wire run from the junction box and the location where the outlet will be installed. That was enough for today.

I am going to get on Amazon to order a set if augers to replace the ones I butchered hitting screws I didn't see were there.

Maybe get that outlet mounted and functioning tomorrow.

Ben
I ordered a replacement set of augers to replace my brother's damaged augers

But...

Because I prefer them them to traditional spoon bits I invoked my tool budget to get my own set.

IRWIN Tools SPEEDBOR Max Wood Drilling Bits, 6-Inch length, 10-Piece (1801022)
Ben

Had to leave the place 2 days in a row, to fix "obsolete" equipment, all most all of the decent parts persons have retired or found something else to do, if they can't look stuff up online ,year, make model they can't function.. Now i get to build some parts, at least that happens in my shop.

Was at the doctor's this morning, and just heard there's yet another new covid variant - called "stealth". Guess it looks like Omicron, but is stronger? I thought they had given up on 'ol coronavirus, but maybe not. Either way, not what was ailing me, so I gave a gallon or two of blood for tests.
First I heard about it too, so I had to use Dr. Google. :D
Stealth is a subvariant of omicron and is spreading faster, but remains to be seen if it is deadly or not.
https://www.vox.com/22923891/omicron-subvariant-ba2-coronavirus

My refrigerator froze over during the cold snap for some reason. what I couldn't give away is now burritos or cat food.
good thing it was running empty anyway!

3 loads of laundry washed, dried, hung up or folded and all put away.
Dusted out floors.
Cleaned the bathroom.
Hey Jim, made Shrimp Alfredo with homemade garlic bread,tomato, mozzerella , red onion salad with red wine salad dressing for Dad one day. Brought leftovers home.
Had company from Texas visit him.
Great nephew has to crawl up in Grand dad's truck, that boy loves his trucks.
He talks a good bit about different lines of trucks to his great grand dad.
Diego is 4 years old, but he loves his trucks, tractors etc.
Now my youngest sister and youngest niece has Texas Cooties.
I had Missouri Cooties last week.
Thankfully Dad didn't get any Cooties.
Been watching it snow, we're under winter weather watch until Friday morning.
It's cold ,19*.
Had VA Doctor Video appointment, my Doctor cancelled at last moment.
So got new stand in Doctor for the appointment.
She was not happy with my medical care right at this time frame.
Matter of fact she was doing 9 appointments for my Primary Care Doctor and she wasn't liking anything she was seeing.
Last 10 appointments I had scheduled with Primary Care Doctor.
7 of them were cancelled by Primary Care Doctor.
Imagine that if Veteran starts being Pro Active in their care, then Primary Care Doctor starts cancelling appointments.
New Doctor I talked to this morning said I needed follow up appointment for several issues I was having with my feet.
Dang 30 minutes after Video appointment ended I had new follow up appointment 8 April 2022 @1100 instead of waiting 3 months.
Also have upcoming appointment with Cardiology along the same time frame.
Instead of waiting 3-6 months.
New Doctor was quite upset that I had to seek medical care outside VA for Thanksgiving Incicent.

Last edited:
Today was researching how to get rid of a skunk that has apparently taken up residence under a concrete slab back porch foundation.

Apparently the little pests don't like bright light. Many articles say to just turn on your outside lights. But me? No, that's not enough. So I've been researching parts to make a Home Improvement "Binford model" strobe light. Looking at a high intensity LED automotive strobes and a 12v power supply. Look at the video on the Amazon page for this thing. The initial modes at the start of the video are quite unimpressive. But as you move on further into the video, yeah man!, we've got some Binford strobe modes for sure! That should annoy the heck out of the skunk when I drop that down into his lair when he's trying to sleep!

www.amazon.com/dp/B0817T6C6H/?coliid=I31TYGBEWYYN9M&colid=12OOM7YOOKUHO&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Interesting!

How best to deploy?

Dropping it into the opening... will it reach the back.?

Using the max steady setting to illuminate egress to the entrance to just keep the critter away ?

While strobe settings are troubling for humans... do thet affect skunks and other critters?

Please keep us updated!

Curious

Ben

Forget the strobe light. It's a skunk. Explode him...

How best to deploy?

Dropping it into the opening... will it reach the back.?
This is a horizontal void under a concrete slab. My idea for deployment is to tape the light to the end of a ten foot section of electrical EMT conduit pipe and push the thing back into the void (leaving the EMT pipe just sitting on the ground after placement). One, this allows me to get it deep in there. And two, during the disturbance, should the skunk decide to leave the hole at a high rate of speed, I have a ten foot running head start on him!

I am also investigating some kind of ultrasonic sound device to add onto my "annoyance pole".

Some of the sources I've read say that lighting may take a few days to make the skunk leave. Not being satisfied with that - overkill is entirely called for in this situation - I'm shooting for more like 15 minutes.

Forget the strobe light. It's a skunk. Explode him...
I could easily take him out with even a pellet gun. We see him on our Ring cameras and he really follows a strict travel routine in the middle of the night. He even trips the motion sensor lights (for easy targeting and aiming). But then, what do you do with a dead stinking skunk? I don't want to touch the putrid thing. If he'll just leave on his own due to annoyance, I'm happy enough with that.

(I did think about using that EMT pipe as a ten foot nozzle for a homemade flame thrower, but figured that was probably a really bad idea.)

Just getting some chores done and planning my run to the bank tomorrow. I want to make one trip out and get as many errands done as possible to limit gas wasted. I don't have a lot to do but the feed store is the only errand that is out of the way. Since I only go once a month or less I figure I can justify the gas. I need to get a bale of hay for the rabbits.

Lost a baby rabbit yesterday. It was the runt and the other kits kicked it out of the nest. He got cold and died. Rather now than after we put effort into weaning and fattening them up (before butchering day). He was in the nest during morning count and not when I did the afternoon count. I had to dig around for him. But he was cold and hard so he must have died not long after morning count. Still have 10 total kits. Next time I'll bottle feed the runt and maybe put them in with the other litter (closer to their size) to be fostered.

Made bread and did a check of our flour stores in the freezer. I might have to talk K in to buying a third freezer just for grains and flour.

I could easily take him out with even a pellet gun. We see him on our Ring cameras and he really follows a strict travel routine in the middle of the night. He even trips the motion sensor lights (for easy targeting and aiming). But then, what do you do with a dead stinking skunk? I don't want to touch the putrid thing. If he'll just leave on his own due to annoyance, I'm happy enough with that.

(I did think about using that EMT pipe as a ten foot nozzle for a homemade flame thrower, but figured that was probably a really bad idea.)
1646966090447.png

I think there was something similar in communcations earlier.
Calling @The Lazy L

They can have 4-12. Each baby has their own placenta so it is hard to tell how many they are having unless you take them to a vet for an ultrasound.

I think from now on I will give them some lavender after they give birth to help and watch my Rex doe for similar behaviors with her next litter.

Rabbits need a very fatty rich milk and only nurse once or twice a day. If a baby is out by its self grazing it might not need milk anymore. They can self wean as early as 4 weeks. They start eating solids as early as 2 weeks if they are wild rabbits (not domestic breed ferals but true wild hares or cottontails). A good emergency milk replacer for rabbits is KMR until you can get rabbit formula (Wombaroo).

Take a look at some of the time lapse videos of baby rabbits on youtube. They grow so fast!

I'll add that wild rabbits rarely survive in captivity. Best to leave them where they are.

I would light and throw one of those rodent stinky poison bombs down there. Or else use a live trap with catfood. Of course, then you'd have to decide what to do with it if you caught it. I do not recommend shooting a live trapped skunk with a bb gun (our very old neighbor and our son who was ten at the time did this). They stunk up the whole front yard.

Wondering if the strobe could affect the skunk like it does some humans....what would you do with a skunk having seizures?
Now I can't stop laughing. I have this mental imagine of a seizing skunk staggering out of a flashing hole with the Bee Gee's "Staying Alive" playing at full blast.

If this works, I'm going to have to patent the device.

Back