What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a call from the sheriff a few hours ago. Said one of our horses was out on the county road. Couldn't find the horse, but did find that all of our cows were out too. We tried driving them home. They got split up between 2 dry creek beds. Tried a couple more times then gave up for the night. They can't go too far. They're in a pasture of about 4×5 miles square. Got some help coming up tomorrow morning.
I can't imagine all that....hope you get them all back
We just have a very small farm and don't have to go look for miles when our animals get out

I am putting the proverbial rear end in a recliner. My wife's car is in the shop, so she has to use my car. I am stuck. Sounds like a good day to sit on the patio, and enjoy the birds and a good cigar.

Got a call from the sheriff a few hours ago. Said one of our horses was out on the county road. Couldn't find the horse, but did find that all of our cows were out too. We tried driving them home. They got split up between 2 dry creek beds. Tried a couple more times then gave up for the night. They can't go too far. They're in a pasture of about 4×5 miles square. Got some help coming up tomorrow morning.
Hope you’re able to get everyone back safe and sound.

Had a situation like like where I kept my horse. It was someone’s many acre backyard that abutted watershed land. We had horses, mini donkey, freezer calves, chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, sheep, llamas and a couple of emus. Emus escaped one day and we could hear them sounding off in the forest. We would ride out every day to try and capture them (worse than roadrunner). Caught one and returned him to his upgraded security pen. Local police called one day. It was over at the local school, corralled in the backstop on the baseball field. Local driver called the police after claiming not to being drunk but seeing a 6 foot tall bird on the side of the road.

Did go shopping yesterday and all that. Aldi now has mostly self checkout also. It's ok if you only have a few things but doesn't work if you have a cart full. I am starting to think stores are trying to discourage people from buying a lot of stuff. Not sure why, don't they make more money the more they sell? Or are the still shortages?
They don’t do it so you buy less. They do it so they have less employees. The front store of the pharmacy I work at put them in. Once they were there about a month, the received a cut in there budgeted hours. Now that there are no employees dedicated to ringing the register they can be doing other tasks.

Taking little granddaughter to Hobby Lobby after lunch for material for her sewing class tomorrow. I once mentioned something about Hobby Lobby to our amish neighbor, Marlon (he's about 35, married, 3 young children), and he firmly said that he would never, ever go in there again and there's absolutely nothing he would ever need in his whole life in that store. His wife loves the store. Ha.
We might also tackle her school supply list at Walmart, we'll see. But need to check what I have here first, I keep a stockpile.

iu

@Morgan101 I’m sorry to hear you are stuck in the recliner before you could get outside. That’s just awful.
I am putting the proverbial rear end in a recliner. My wife's car is in the shop, so she has to use my car. I am stuck. Sounds like a good day to sit on the patio, and enjoy the birds and a good cigar.
Maybe later.

Dropped daughter to work then went on to a local town to pick up some groceries - with no list :eek: 😂 decided I would just buy what was on special. So, several packs of mince later- we are having burgers tonight, and for the freezer I've made pasta sauce, lasagna and a shepherds pie. The weather is incredibly heavy here, feel like I will just draw up my chair on the porch next to Morgans and enjoy the smell of a cigar!

Don't get hurt getting out of that recliner Morg!!! 😉😃

I'm busy watching Perry Mason reruns. When that is over I will recline and take a nap. Truly a grueling day.

Sipping coffee in my recliner.
Have to finish packing my weekend bag for a mini road trip.
Leaving tomorrow, with my friend.
I'm still learning his co workers names and what everybody does.
But on a more serious note, both of my sons seem to like him.
Some of my bills are already paid will pay the rest before the end of the day.
While he 's off to work I will have to learn how to make better pie crust.
Mine was tough yesterday.
But I was slightly distracted yesterday too.
Seems weird to have a man's shaving kit in my bathroom.
I have already tripped over his work boots.
He makes me smile, by just walking into the room.

Took today off again.
I'm realizing the older I get, the less willing I am to put myself through doing a full days work while sick.
I do plan on going tomorrow n Friday though.
I feel way better, I haven't been sick in years. This got me good.
Today isn't going to be exciting..just more rest.

Coffee, Trying to get some current info on a wild fire to the west, woke up to heavy smoke cover,

We just got all the cattle back home, plus a couple range cows that followed them. The horse is still missing. We'll look for him later. The wife has an eye doctor appointment down south. I checked several miles of fence this morning, it all looked good. Except the gate in our north west corner was down. I'll replace it when we get home tonight.

Tirediron,

We were going to head over the mountain your way. It's not going to happen now.

I found out last night, the park is on fire and they are evacuating Jasper.

. Everywhere is on fire and the roads are closed in many places except for evacuees and fire fighters. There are literally no rooms at the inns and no stopping is allowed. People are having to drive all the to way to PG and loop back around the long way to get to Calgary and Edmonton. There is no room in BC for them because of all the fires here.

Mo,

Mince is ground meat. Aka hamburger ect.
ClemKaddiehopper,
Thank you for the information.
No wonder he looked at me funny.
When I put an American (okay, Missouri version) of what I thought was mince pie in front of him for supper last night.
Will Shepard's pie work as a "mince" pie?

Cleaned up all the brush dad cut down yesterday—it was blocking some of the water view. Two heaping gorilla carts full. Reinstalled the screen door that was repaired.

It’s 80* here with 75% humidity—ac has been turned on. Even the dog complained. Making BLTs for lunch.

@Mountain trapper be very careful about livestock getting out for very long on a roadway.

There was a very good family in the town of Burnsville Ms near where one of my cousins lives.

He owned a general store and furniture, appliance store they were very good to all of the people around the community and would sell even cheap appliances on very long term payments with very little to no interest for those who needed it.

He also owned a lot of pasture land and he leased it to some of the people who ran cattle locally.

One of the people he leased to never checked the fences he just let them go.

A tree limb fell onto one of the fences next to a US highway, some cattle got out and an ILLEGAL Mexican ran into one and was injured.

The Illegal found a good lawyer who did not sue the man with the cattle they sued the land owner and took almost every penny he had made over 50 years of being so good to his community.

He quit the stores and left his daughter to run it with what little they still had he would barely speak to anyone after it for years.

Courts and lawyers can get money from a person who gets beaten nearly to death for an illegal who did the beating to pay him for his time and skinning his knuckles.

@Mountain trapper be very careful about livestock getting out for very long on a roadway.

There was a very good family in the town of Burnsville Ms near where one of my cousins lives.

He owned a general store and furniture, appliance store they were very good to all of the people around the community and would sell even cheap appliances on very long term payments with very little to no interest for those who needed it.

He also owned a lot of pasture land and he leased it to some of the people who ran cattle locally.

A tree limb fell onto one of the fences next to a US highway, some cattle got out and an ILLEGAL Mexican ran into one and was injured.

The Illegal found a good lawyer who did not sue the man with the cattle they sued the land owner and took almost every penny he had made over 50 years of being so good to his community.

He quit the stores and left his daughter to run it with what little they still had he would barely speak to anyone after it for years.

Courts and lawyers can get money from a person who gets beaten nearly to death for an illegal who did the beating to pay him for his time and skinning his knuckles.
The BAR association needs a comeuppance reall real bad , a rope with 13 loops type

It's all open range around here. If someone hits a cow, they pay for it.
Here's a few of them heading home.

Attachments

• 20240723_174030.jpg
    20240723_174030.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Tirediron,

We were going to head over the mountain your way. It's not going to happen now.

I found out last night, the park is on fire and they are evacuating Jasper.

. Everywhere is on fire and the roads are closed in many places except for evacuees and fire fighters. There are literally no rooms at the inns and no stopping is allowed. People are having to drive all the to way to PG and loop back around the long way to get to Calgary and Edmonton. There is no room in BC for them because of all the fires here.
it is a mess out there right now, we haven't seen real rain for a month

Revelstoke is now on evac alert. It's a crap time to be on a driving vacation. 40°+C temps.

We had one thunderstorm for five minutes yesterday, first in over a month and it started 100 new fires. Going fishing tonight before that area decides to burn or the lake gets shut down for water bucketing.

To add to the fun, there is a shortage of avgas due to the refinery in Edmonton being shutdown for awhile due to something or other. Helicopters don't fly without it.

Back