What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Much needed coffee not quite Army strong but pretty dang close.
Cleaning the house, it needs a good cleaning.
Even though I had a willing 7 year old helper yesterday.
I think my house is in worse shape than before.
Dishes, cleaning off the table, cooking, laundry.
Someone on here had a Squash soup recipe and now I can't find it.
Can you repost in recipes so I can find it again.
Maybe Hooch or Snappy?
I just bought a butternut yesterday..now I have to find the receipe..
I think snappy had one too tho

Got back at just after midnight after making a quick 1000 mile round trip to washington state (ot here in the west the distances get kinda big), We sold the small family property after my sister decided she couldn't take care of it any more. I made the trip to go get the old cider press that my dad bought in the midwest when he was doing antique sales. It was old then and now it is well over 100 years old and has been repaired and the wood parts rebuilt but will still turn out gallons of apple juice.
Now to scrounge up any and all apples in the area and get to squeezing....I also need to find someone who knows apple jack.
I noticed the apples are falling off the trees here already but we haven't had a freeze yet..so they are bitter still..

Final result: the Payday bars turned out pretty well. They came out softer than I expected, so a little messy to be finger food. The taste is pretty darn close to a Payday bar. I would definitely make them again.

Copycat PAYDAY Candy Bars, A Sweet Treat (youtube.com)

Don't worry. Pearl. I did KP duty and made breakfast for my wife before I started playing. Honest.

Could you post them in recipes?
So everyone can find them.
Please and thank you.

I would be happy to. Can you send me a link, so I know I am posting in the right one? When I do a search there are several choices.

I noticed the apples are falling off the trees here already but we haven't had a freeze yet..so they are bitter still..
my little mini apples are soft this year, nice bright red skins, but over ripe I guess

Jake and I got up and went into town to get a quart of enamel paint and some thinner. We wanted to paint his truck frame. He had ordered a set of rocker guards that would cover up some rust below the doors on his truck. We sprayed the truck frame and installed the rocker guards.
Jake has been working on a briar wood pipe for his grandpas birthday so when we finished the truck he worked on it for awhile before going to the airport for a flight lesson.
Alexandra had a listing appointment on a very nice home and property that went really well and she will be putting it on the market next week.

IMG_5192.jpeg
IMG_5191.jpeg
IMG_5190.jpeg
IMG_5189.jpeg
IMG_5193.jpeg

Just ordered a new hydraulic hose for the log splitter, came to $88. Rewired the electric gate opener. Also ordered the mounting kit for the Starlink and extra cable. The Starlink seems to be working now. For some reason Starlink had us 35 miles away form our location. I updated our address and now it appears to work. I have service in the house for the first time ever.

Jake and I got up and went into town to get a quart of enamel paint and some thinner. We wanted to paint his truck frame. He had ordered a set of rocker guards that would cover up some rust below the doors on his truck. We sprayed the truck frame and installed the rocker guards.
Jake has been working on a briar wood pipe for his grandpas birthday so when we finished the truck he worked on it for awhile before going to the airport for a flight lesson.
Alexandra had a listing appointment on a very nice home and property that went really well and she will be putting it on the market next week.

View attachment 162811View attachment 162812View attachment 162813View attachment 162814View attachment 162815
Be sure and post up some pics of the finished pipe. Looks like it's gonna be a nice one.

Just ordered a new hydraulic hose for the log splitter, came to $88. Rewired the electric gate opener. Also ordered the mounting kit for the Starlink and extra cable. The Starlink seems to be working now. For some reason Starlink had us 35 miles away form our location. I updated our address and now it appears to work. I have service in the house for the first time ever.
Glad you got it up and running. You will enjoy it.

Soaked two sets of clothes today. It was hot! Temp in the mid 90’s. Just got a shower and put on a 3rd set.

Finished skidding all the limbs from the yard this morning. Still needs raking but that'll wait.

Bushhogged this afternoon since I’ll have a angus calf up here next week. I cleaned out the old corral, looks rough but it’s still usable. Then cut the few acres in the adjoining bull pen. Need to put the metal blade on the weedeater and do some trimming. I’ll pump a tank of water from the creek and set it by the corral. Still have to fix a gate.. next week.

Somehow I had it in my head there were only 30 rolls of hay at the end of the bull pen. I counted 53 today. So no worries about my calf and the heifers my cousin is bringing over. They have plenty of hay to last the winter.

I’m done for the day, trying to decide what I want for dinner. Might watch a football game tonight, several are on.

20240921_162019a.jpg
20240921_162024a.jpg

Soaked two sets of clothes today. It was hot! Temp in the mid 90’s. Just got a shower and put on a 3rd set.

Finished skidding all the limbs from the yard this morning. Still needs raking but that'll wait.

Bushhogged this afternoon since I’ll have a angus calf up here next week. I cleaned out the old corral, looks rough but it’s still usable. Then cut the few acres in the adjoining bull pen. Need to put the metal blade on the weedeater and do some trimming. I’ll pump a tank of water from the creek and set it by the corral. Still have to fix a gate.. next week.

Somehow I had it in my head there were only 30 rolls of hay at the end of the bull pen. I counted 53 today. So no worries about my calf and the heifers my cousin is bringing over. They have plenty of hay to last the winter.

I’m done for the day, trying to decide what I want for dinner. Might watch a football game tonight, several are on.

View attachment 162839View attachment 162840
I like seeing the green grass there, but you can keep the heat. Our high today was 55 degs.

New baby born in our neighborhood this morning. Welcoming baby Julie Yoder, born at the birthing center down the road. She has two sisters and one brother. Mom was almost two weeks late, so we've all been waiting.
Just got back in from the bigger town. Went to Home Depot for cupboard paint and some floor mats and painting supplies. Forgot to get wood filler. Also picked up husband's prescriptions and then picked up barbeque for dinner tonight. Came home in a rain storm, but we really do need it.

Started a house sitting job this morning. I normally like to unload my car to the front house door before I open the house door, and then I can make another few moves and close the house door. It helps to keep the dogs and cats from running out.

Homeowners were still home, a little late in leaving and she opened the door before I had emptied the car. Dog was so excited that I was there. He ran out and then back in. He did that a couple times. I had my last load that included my Yeti coffee cup (a gift to me) still almost full of coffee. Dog came running at me and bumped into me. Cup went up in the air and then hit the concrete steps. Top came off and coffee spilled all over the steps. Me? I knew I was not going to stay upright and tried to figure out how to land the best in a split second. There is a bush right beside the steps and I aimed for that and grabbed hold. I did not get a scratch or anything else. Homeowners were very concerned. I was absolutely fine. I may have made some screeching sounds which I do when I get alarmed. The dog began drinking the coffee on the steps.

I had a very similar situation when Crosby the Rhodesian ridgeback was still alive. I had her leash in my right hand. We walked up a short flight of stairs and were going to make a left turn. She saw a rabbit and ran behind me. I had to immediately decide if I was going to try to hold her back (would have been a foolish idea) or let her go. The smart thing was to let her go. This whole thing caused me to make a 360 degree turn, imagining falling and breaking some bones. There was a big sturdy bush right there and I grabbed onto it. It save me from falling. By the time I was done spinning, grabbing and getting my bearings, Crosby was back from her chase and we went home. Ridgebacks are hunters, among other things.

Crosby, Bella, Bugsy and Hazel cropped to just Crosby.jpg

Started a house sitting job this morning. I normally like to unload my car to the front house door before I open the house door, and then I can make another few moves and close the house door. It helps to keep the dogs and cats from running out.

Homeowners were still home, a little late in leaving and she opened the door before I had emptied the car. Dog was so excited that I was there. He ran out and then back in. He did that a couple times. I had my last load that included my Yeti coffee cup (a gift to me) still almost full of coffee. Dog came running at me and bumped into me. Cup went up in the air and then hit the concrete steps. Top came off and coffee spilled all over the steps. Me? I knew I was not going to stay upright and tried to figure out how to land the best in a split second. There is a bush right beside the steps and I aimed for that and grabbed hold. I did not get a scratch or anything else. Homeowners were very concerned. I was absolutely fine. I may have made some screeching sounds which I do when I get alarmed. The dog began drinking the coffee on the steps.

I had a very similar situation when Crosby the Rhodesian ridgeback was still alive. I had her leash in my right hand. We walked up a short flight of stairs and were going to make a left turn. She saw a rabbit and ran behind me. I had to immediately decide if I was going to try to hold her back (would have been a foolish idea) or let her go. The smart thing was to let her go. This whole thing caused me to make a 360 degree turn, imagining falling and breaking some bones. There was a big sturdy bush right there and I grabbed onto it. It save me from falling. By the time I was done spinning, grabbing and getting my bearings, Crosby was back from her chase and we went home. Ridgebacks are hunters, among other things.

View attachment 162843
Now you too! Glad your ok..

Thank you, Amish, Hooch and Backpacker.

After the owners left, I took the dog to the dog park. He is so social. Normally, my dog park visits are 45 minutes long. He was so full of energy today, I just decided to stay a little longer. We had no where else to go. He was busy the whole hour + that we were there, running, wrestling, boxing. He did not want to leave when we did, but he turned one in July and still gets a mid day meal and it was time for him to eat. He was exhausted and fell asleep after he ate lunch. He is still kind of quiet.

Latest posts

Back