What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
been busy, will try to catch up later
had fun with daughter and granddaughter yesterday, went to the market ( she wanted to see it) and just visited there and then took grandbaby to the playground. Later I made sushi and we played cards after grandkid went to bed
the day before we went swimming and did some shopping.
No plans yet for today

I was planning on finishing the great relocation of stuff to the storage garage, but instead I am hanging out in apartment waiting to cook brunch then waiting some more for the lady to get home. There is a 0.000013% chance I make it back to the compound tonight, so the rest of the move will likely have to wait until Monday and Tuesday.

I was planning on finishing the great relocation of stuff to the storage garage, but instead I am hanging out in apartment waiting to cook brunch then waiting some more for the lady to get home. There is a 0.000013% chance I make it back to the compound tonight, so the rest of the move will likely have to wait until Monday and Tuesday.

I don't envy you that. MOVE is a four letter word. Worst part is after you move you are only half done. Now you have to put it all away. Sorry to rub it in. I know I'm not telling you anything new.

Woke up to our first killing frost of the year at 24 degrees. Snow is projected to hit the ground starting this evening and then all week, so today I will be collecting summer items from the yard (rakes, hoedags, etc) and putting them away for the winter. If I don’t, they will lay there until the snow melts in spring. I will also be putting the chains on my vehicles driving my plows and snow blowers. We will also make a final run up the mountain to pick blueberries, crowberries and cranberries before they get the white blanket treatment. Yesterday we got the last of the garden harvested including our potatoes and a few lonely tomatoes.

After i finished yesterday’s chores, I enjoyed a wonderful sunset.

Last edited:
Got word early this morning that my daughter was taken to the hospital by ambulance. Not sure what's wrong yet, but her BP, pulse and heart beat are extremely low. I may have to go up there soon to help out with the gkids.
Praying everything is ok!! 💗 Please let us know!!

Got word early this morning that my daughter was taken to the hospital by ambulance. Not sure what's wrong yet, but her BP, pulse and heart beat are extremely low. I may have to go up there soon to help out with the gkids.
I hope she is alright. She's lucky to have someone like you willing to drop everything to go up and help. I'll keep y'all in my prayers.

Last edited:
Just made a batch of hot sauce…perfect blend of taste and heat!
IMG_2275.jpeg
IMG_2276.jpeg

Praying for your daughter!

Got up at 5:30am to clean up trash & a bunch of my brother's junk so I could clear a path to the back door and get it to open for the first time in years. Took over an hour and some of the stuff was too heavy to pick up. Friend showed up a little after 7 and brother woke up around 7:40 and came out-- he was supposed to help me. He was actually surprised and impressed with how much I cleared. I got most of the heavy stuff, but there's still a broken laundry cart thingy on the floor. Took a few hours and a lot of work- with friend doing most of it-- to get new door installed. New jack studs, new door sill, new header, and some cripples cut to size.

I'm out of naprosyn and am exhausted but need to go to the store to get my naprosyn and some milk.

I don't envy you that. MOVE is a four letter word. Worst part is after you move you are only half done. Now you have to put it all away. Sorry to rub it in. I know I'm not telling you anything new.

Well the good news, I guess, is that most of it is just going into storage. So far less to unpack. And actually this is the first time that moving meant more than packing a duffel and maybe a storage tote or two. I lived a long time with a very small footprint.

All I did today was talk on the phone with one of my cousins. She was checking in to see how dad was doing lamenting the mileage between us. She knows how much I’m dealing with and with brother so far away that I’m dealing with everything alone—Dad’s medical situation and him just being old, the building and tenants, and stupidity at work. I told her I know why the lions in the zoo and circus pace back and forth.

Around lunchtime the dog started acting weird. Looks like she might have strained a muscle in her left leg/shoulder area. Doesn’t want to put weight on that side. Not crying or growling. Lets me touch it without wincing. she was able to walk home from Dad’s and do her usual security check (gates, fences and squirrel highways) and get up the stairs (18 of them) into the apartment with no problems or hesitation.

Did smoke the ribs and they were delicious.

Last edited:
Well the good news, I guess, is that most of it is just going into storage. So far less to unpack. And actually this is the first time that moving meant more than packing a duffel and maybe a storage tote or two. I lived a long time with a very small footprint.

Try to keep it that way. I have been married to a hoarder for 48 years. You have not been on the site long, but most who have been here know that my basement is legendary. Jimmy Hoffa could be buried down there and he will never be found.

True story. My wife had a good friend over who needed some decorations for her son's wedding reception. They were going down to the basement, so I told her to tie a rope around her waist, so she could find her ay out. When they came back up I asked her what she thought. She said it was amazing. Like having a thrift store in your house. She did find what she needed.

Latest posts

Back