What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jake got his pipe ready for stain.

IMG_5212.jpeg
IMG_5211.jpeg

I went to church earlier. Then came home and canned corn 🌽 got 7+ pints from 12 ears. Then I began cleaning the summer kitchen and ended up breaking the glass of my antique churn 😭. Will have to see what I can find in way of a replacement but still upset about it.
Tomorrow is Monday all over again and it’s supposed to be up to 90 again 😜

I started him off with kits, we will see where he takes this. He really seemed to like this project.
My dad got me started carving pipes. He smoked one at the time. He gave me a block of wood and sketched a side view of a man's head and let me loose in the shop.

Sabre saw, hand drill with a 10" long bit and a Dremel tool. That one of many that I carved and sold. Last I looked they were all confiscated sooner or later.

Carving is a great way to keep one's mind and eye focused on a task while being creative.

Kudos to him and you for getting him started.

Ben

Filled a cart at Aldi. Got husband's homemade dk chocolate pudding made and pizzas, so he was happy. Levi hung out most of the day, helped clean out a chicken coop. Stayed for dinner and went to run the dog after dinner with little granddaughter. Got the laundry room emptied out in preparation for Dave tomorrow morning. He's paneling two walls and putting up door trim.

Had a good day today. Went to the gym at 8am and did some cardio. Then went back to GF's house and we loaded Ruby the dog up in the truck and drove an hour to my daughter's college. She gave us a tour of the campus and talked about some of the things she had been doing since the semester started. Then we went to eat some good Mexican food. After that we all went to a beautiful city park and walked together with Ruby. We all enjoyed that. It was hard to say goodbye to my baby girl, but she seems to be doing well so far and the visit was good for my heart. I hadn't seen her since August 23rd, and that's the longest I've gone without seeing her since she was born.

Tomorrow I'll pack up for the 6 1/2 hour drive back to North Platte for another 7 days of work. Hopefully there are no derailments this time...

We went to Costco today. An impulse "on sale now!" buy for me - I now have a new 32" computer monitor. I installed the thing and it is BIG. I had a 27" monitor before, and that's no miniature by any means, but this new one is giant. It's not just larger in size, it's higher resolution too - so more stuff fits on the screen. It's 2560x1440 resolution. They had a 4k 32" monitor sitting next to it (also on sale I believe) but I didn't want 4k (that's 3840x2160 resolution). Even though it was 32", that super high resolution makes normal text fonts too small to comfortably read. You don't notice this on the storeroom displays - since they're all just showing photos and movies, which indeed look fantastic at 4k. Great for a TV set, not so optimal for a computer screen. Sitting here in front of my monster monitor now, text on our forum at 32" 2560x1440 looks about the same size as it did at 27" 1920x1080. So I ended up having more screen real estate to play with, without making things smaller.

The one thing I'm undecided about is that the monitor is curved. I'm not sure if I like that. It does feel like it surrounds you. That's touted as a feature. But I think it's a bit on the creepy side. But I'll give it a few days to see if I adjust to it and the weird feeling goes away. I'm already starting to adjust after just a few hours.

Oh yeah, and I'll have to adjust the acceleration and speed of my trackball mouse. The higher resolution makes moving the mouse cursor long distances a two-step process. Used to be I could quickly spin the trackball and the cursor would go the entire length of the playing field. But now it takes two spins to get it all the way across the screen. This is a simple adjustment though.

A fairly easy and quiet Monday did further testing on my HF end fed wire antenna yesterday arvo (Sunday) after chatting to my mate in Penola turns out generic end fed wire antennas sold on Ali-Express while made pretty solidly aren't exactly suitable for use on amateur HF they perform nicely in receive mode only cover at best 1 band of which I've found is only 10 meters in tx/rx mode

After searching ebay, hyend antennas and also an Australian base communications company messaged Sigma Euro-Comm in the UK asking about a multiband wire antenna their sales rep got back to me with the information I needed so ended up putting an extra $143 onto my BNP account and ordered one of their multiband wire antennas he added if i want to operate on 80 meters down the track an external ATU will be needed so that's going on my things to buy list for later

Latest posts

Back