What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Elkhound: I love books too, but the kind I like are cheap LOL, mostly trashy romance novels. I have a library card . I loved the Orlando library ( well except the homeless hanging out there) they had all sorts of books. I like travel books also

My dad has old Bibles ( he is a atheist, just has them because they are old and worth something supposedly) and old historical books

goat breeding 101: we have 2 bucks and put the unrelated girls with each one. So that means we had to split up the goats . The buck left behind for a little while maybe 10 minutes was NOT happy and tried to break the fence. The goat girl going to him ( only 1 , I like the other buck better for breeding, he has more meat on him and is less related to the other girls) is the biggest toughest one but she ran back out the gate when we tried to put her in and ran off....had to catch her with more goat pellets and force her in there.

then the babies of the girls we took away were not happy.....took us all morning

Elkhound: I love books too, but the kind I like are cheap LOL, mostly trashy romance novels. I have a library card . I loved the Orlando library ( well except the homeless hanging out there) they had all sorts of books. I like travel books also

My dad has old Bibles ( he is a atheist, just has them because they are old and worth something supposedly) and old historical books
i use to drive 150 miles one way and fight down town main street traffic in portland,oregon to go to worlds largest book store. they give you a map to get around inside it...i spend entire day there spending money like a drunken sailor and then go to an art gallery too.

i use to drive 150 miles one way and fight down town main street traffic in portland,oregon to go to worlds largest book store. they give you a map to get around inside it...i spend entire day there spending money like a drunken sailor and then go to an art gallery too.
Was that Powells Books? We always liked going there.

Was that Powells Books? We always liked going there.
yes...its the most awesome place ever...i brave city stuff to go there.

there use to be a place in hood river too that you climbed a crazy wonky set of steps to get to it on second floor...i forget name and place probably not there any longer its been so long ago now.

Hi friends! Had a busy weekend, didn’t even get online for a few days. Hope you’re all doing well.

Allergy shots today for me, walk and laundry, cleaning the electric kettle (to be replaced with the electric water boiler for more hot water this time of year), and sprinkler blowout even though it hasn’t hit frost yet here, and pear sauce to be canned. After that I dunno.

yes...its the most awesome place ever...i brave city stuff to go there.

there use to be a place in hood river too that you climbed a crazy wonky set of steps to get to it on second floor...i forget name and place probably not there any longer its been so long ago now.
Usually when we go down to the Portland area to visit family, we'd stop in at Powells and at the Filson store downtown. There's a nice restaurant in Hood River that overlooks the Columbia River that we've been to a lot.

I'm going to make myself a nice breakfast today b4 work.
Left 1/2 hour early last night..was super tired n just done..luckily we are going slow on nights..we only had 5 or 6 folks working last night anyways..lots of folks took time off to hunt or whatever..
I think no one is looking forward to the headrig that is almost put together. When we fire that up..and have the whole mill up n running again..everyone will be buried in lumber. That's assuming it all runs good n all..it sure looks impressive!

thankfully the books i have were bought over decades and some i bought in high school just because of my interests and here over 40 years have passed is only reason they are of value and the old guys that wrote them were kinda famous and after their death the value coupled with time is only reason for it. niece will/can sale them to a book broker i know and turn them into cd's at bank for herself.

i have decades of magazines they can toss though......lol

i admit i have had a love affair going on with books my entire life and hope it continues till i die...only thing make it better if i find a woman wants to play librarian with me....lol.....chicken dinner winner then....roflmao

when i was a kid i begged for books and music and trips to the library....in school our library was awesome place and vocational building.
That sounds like me. If I wasn't helping in the garden, farm, or yard, I was probably reading something. Love to go thru book stores, although most of the good small ones are closed now. I even go thru all the books at antique stores.

Got a Pumpkin Spice Bellavitand cheese & A Wensley Dale with Pumpkin spice, which is Somerdale best of British, it came in orange wax shaped like a pumpkin.
It is good in a once of the year kind of thing, not like brie or cream cheese for everyday.
Also got 100 pounds of pork at half price, could have got more, but no more freezer space.

When I was in the far north we reshelved books to about 100 ..Little Free Libraries.. in the area..
Several times we were given collections of book from people that passed or went to nursing homes.. One collection was about 4 plus tons of books.. While sorting books we found one with a note saying something like.. ...Dear Pookie, I hope you like this book as much as I did. Love Grandma.. There was also a $100 bill in the book..
==
Busy today.. Dentist clean and check yesterday.. Eye Dr check today.. Very nice weekend, yesterday and today.. Wednesday and balance of week to be much cooler..

So many of us are book lovers, that's good. I like to look thru the old stuff in the little thrift store in town. I have a few of my grandma's books, too. She was born in 1900. And my great grandpa Shem's german Bible, he was born in 18 70 something. I have kept a number of old readers for children, I really like them.
Busy already today....another bucket of cherry tomatoes, 3 buckets of sweet potatoes. More of both still out there to get. Started the 9 grain bread early this morning, husband wanted it at lunchtime. Put in a 20.5 lb turkey; he asked for a hot turkey sandwich for dinner tonight...mashed potatoes and gravy on it. So turkey is done and I need to strip the meat down. In the 80's today, how weird. Have little granddaughter's conference in a couple hours so I'll have to drive to the other town to her middle school. The monster granddaughter that we haven't seen in forever since all that horribleness just sent us a "save the date" for her upcoming marriage (to a girl/guy) in May. Have no clue why she would think it is appropriate to even contact us for anything. She is a prison guard a few hours away.

Got up, worked out, chatted with my new friends at the front desk, found out that the staff HATE mega-Karen and they are convinced her husband is cheating on her, took the mail up to the apartment, got cleaned up, ran some errands, went and explored a neighborhood for the lady that has a house coming up for sale she likes, went to the storage garage and checked on things, picked up some chorizo street tacos and had lunch at the dental office with the lady, picked up some apples and 3 bags of Halloween candy just in case, came home, put the ladies laundry into the dryer, started a load of towels, began putting together dinner, grabbed the laptop and here I sit.

Reactions: Neb
Back