Whats for dinner 2023

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earlier today a son called , hungry asked to come by to eat " recovering from broken bones " and no job .We feed him macaroni and cheese and hot dogs with chili . This evening another son came by Hungry with a sick wife and no job , we sent him back home with a bowl of chicken gumbo . --- I noticed about a week ago where someone had appeared to have sat by the county road with a view of my adobe ate and left a plastic bowl and fork . I don't know what he or she ate .

Last edited:
The recipe I have in my head for Spanish Rice is too much for 2 of us.
I make it and enjoy.
Leftovers get stuffed into peppers. Takes longer to bake for the second day.
But a good way to change the flavor and you wouldn’t think its leftovers.

The recipe I have in my head for Spanish Rice is too much for 2 of us.
I make it and enjoy.
Leftovers get stuffed into peppers. Takes longer to bake for the second day.
But a good way to change the flavor and you wouldn’t think its leftovers.

Do you use saffron or cheap out and use turmeric?

Now I've gone and gotten that 60's Donovan song stuck in my head...

Do you use saffron or cheap out and use turmeric?

Now I've gone and gotten that 60's Donovan song stuck in my head...

Neither. It‘s from a Betty Crocker cookbook from 40 years ago. Newer cookbooks changed the recipe. 2 things they left out Worcestershire and brown sugar.
Gee, thanks for the ear worm. :)

I think Larry made hamburgers..I didn't raise the cover over the plate, but I saw ketchup, mustard, onions, pickles was set out and earlier I saw hamburger meat thawing out. If my work don't slow down, I'm gonna starve to death...gotta figure this out....larry still coughing up what sounds like a lung or two! Sorry folks I can't do it....help!!!! I did eat an egg sandwich about 3:30 this afternoon thst I ran in and whipped up.... due to was hungry and that was quick fix! I'm good for the night....no wonder my BMI is borderline 17-18 depending on the day! 😁 haa!

We did a fondue. Start talking about it. 1976 our first date had some sort of White pasta so the girls wouldn’t get anything on their prom dresses.
Next date 2011 first night whatever I could scrounge from the 7-11 At 11 at night
Second night a steak Au Poivre.
3rd night so officially the 4th date a fondue place. Got engaged at a fondue place. Watched the Rose Parade from a second story fondue place drinking Mimosas.
So Fondue is kinda special.

Corn beef brisket...in crackpot today with cabbage n potatoes...Cole slaw on side (Larry made).

Haven't eaten yet, but pretty sure I'll be swelled up like a poisoned dog from all the salt! 😁...might wait til tomorrow n just make a sandwich.
I have found that smoking a Corned Beef Brisket to 205 IT somehow makes it less salty. Takes about the same time as simmering but does make it taste more like ham.

I have found that smoking a Corned Beef Brisket to 205 IT somehow makes it less salty. Takes about the same time as simmering but does make it taste more like ham.
When you smoke corned beef, you get pastrami, or at least a reasonable facsimile thereof. The process for brining true pastrami is slightly from corned beef, but some companies actually make pastrami by simply smoking corned beef.

When you smoke corned beef, you get pastrami, or at least a reasonable facsimile thereof. The process for brining true pastrami is slightly from corned beef, but some companies actually make pastrami by simply smoking corned beef.
Better luck doing straight brisket into pastrami. I do like the ham taste Of the corned beef My wife will eat beef but not pork
I used to do a lot of delis in LA that equaled those in NYC. I can make it better.

Built a fire in the make shift open fire pit this eve..veggie shishkabobs...mushroom, red onion, green n red bell pepper, zucchini n squash slices....chicken thighs and breasts with a sweet mustard sauce on tbe chicken.....AND...threw chicken skin in a small cast iron skillet on the coals....those turned out nice n crispy! My son tended to it with his bad hand that he's having surgery on in cple weeks.

Attachments

• 20230916_184523.jpg
    20230916_184523.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
My wife did her famous thing, leave me in the middle of a recipie. Told me to simmer a whole chicken in the broth she had made up, Strip the chicken and set aside with some broth and put the bones back in.
I being of sounder mind, put the bones in a wire basket and put back in the broth. Why have to pick the bones out of the soup. I will just pull the basket out.

I took you guys suggestion...threw 2 cornbeef brisket's in smoker today and a large pork tenderloin...I Iike the smoked corn beef. I picked through the corned beef slices, a few bites of the pork and ended up eating left over piece of chicken and rest of veggie shiskabob from last night...and got a hankering for cooked cabbage, made and ate that too for myself. Larry ate a cornbeef sandwich, mustard, Swiss cheese on rye and some potatoe soup

It must be corned beef season. I have 2 brisket brining in the fridge! They'll be ready to pull tomorrow. I plan to can 1 for quick hash breakfasts. I just eat the cabbage & potatoes for dinner while everyone else has the beef. Then when it's time for leftover corned beef in hash, that's when I like it most.

May i ask for understanding and learning more:
Corned Beef is this the same we Europeans know as canned meat?
You may know it a Salt Beef. It is a salt cured brisket. Other spices may be added. Here it usually come with a packet of pickling spices.

May i ask for understanding and learning more:
Corned Beef is this the same we Europeans know as canned meat?
Yes, what EW said. Salt beef!

If you make it from scratch, you put it in a salt brine. I don't add sodium nitrate (pink curing salt or Prague powder) to mine because I want to avoid it. But commercially made ones add it. It doesn't last as Ling with regular sea salt nor does it have as intense a flavor, but it is still good.

It gets the name from the old term "corn" meaning large granules. We let it soak for 5-7 days, then wash it thoroughly and cook it slowly at a low temp.

Latest posts

Back