What's for dinner tonight?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read that it ain't jerk chicken unless you cook it over pimento (allspice) wood . I guess using allspice to season it might be a close approximation.

Pimento wood from the Pimenta dioica (allspice) tree is not to be confused with the pimento chili pepper (Capsicum annuum) that's used for pimento cheese and stuffing olives.

I read that it ain't jerk chicken unless you cook it over pimento (allspice) wood . I guess using allspice to season it might be a close approximation.

Pimento wood from the Pimenta dioica (allspice) tree is not to be confused with the pimento chili pepper (Capsicum annuum) that's used for pimento cheese and stuffing olives.
I believe it’s the bark that burned. The trees reminded me of a sycamore and they regenerate bark like a eucalyptus.

Most commercial jerk mixes rely heavily on allspice. I grind allspice berries for mine.

I soak the berries in a high proof alcohol and gotten the equivalent of commercially available Allspice Dram. The pimento liqueur that used to be made (factory went out of business) was sweeter and a red color.

Locals claimed it had pain relieving properties. A small sip at night and my back was better in the morning. That why I have been trying to recreate it.

Obviously thats Ideal.
We occasionally purchase pimento wood from Jamaica but it's really expensive as you can imagine.
Mild woods like pecan are your best bet here in the US.
You can also buy Allspice/Pimento seeds and use a clean burning charcoal and just toss a handful of the seeds on the fire occasionally.

I believe it’s the bark that burned. The trees reminded me of a sycamore and they regenerate bark like a eucalyptus.

Most commercial jerk mixes rely heavily on allspice. I grind allspice berries for mine.

I soak the berries in a high proof alcohol and gotten the equivalent of commercially available Allspice Dram. The pimento liqueur that used to be made (factory went out of business) was sweeter and a red color.

Locals claimed it had pain relieving properties. A small sip at night and my back was better in the morning. That why I have been trying to recreate it.

They actually use pimento logs in Jamaica burned down to coals.
If you really want to go authentic use green pimento sticks as the your cooking surface and cook your chicken,pork or goat directly on the sticks.

Normally Larry would make red beans n rice on Monday but nobody eats it here but him...so thankfully, he quit making it. Sorry y'all! I'll eat it if i'm super hungry, but dont prefer it, if I have other options. 😏

We had spaghetti, sauce I made/canned cple months ago, meatballs I made n froze cple months ago, salad and garlic bread.

Mudbugs

Attachments

• 20230317_172520.jpg
    20230317_172520.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Corned beef and cabbage. Soaked overnight in Guinness. way different that my usual method.

Baked at 300 for 5 hours with another can of Guinness added. If you use stout, you add a little brown sugar.

Latest posts

Back