What's new where you live?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I was up at 430 am doing feeding/gardening before the heat of the day set in. Ended up picking about 3 more gallons of tomatoes. Took shower then tried to lay down for a nap before I had to go in for a 315 pm inventory shift. Of course sleep didn't happen but at least I relaxed for an hour. Ended up getting released at 845, took a break and by 9 started my cheese shift. I left work this morning a little after 6am to come home feed and garden. I only picked this morning. 3 zucchini, 3 yellow squash, a dozen or so of patty squash, 5 cucumbers 1 honeydew and 5 gallons of tomatoes. . . . The rest can wait. I did finally sleep about a hour. Laid there till I finally went back to sleep for another 2 1/2 hours to do my errands. Came ho. e to help hunny with goat expansion but because about to rain, fed 30 minutes early. I was supposed to go back in tonight but I am now ahead of the game and won't go back until Wed night. I am exhausted right now so plan is eat dinner and go to bed early. I need to process those 8 gallons of tomatoes tomorrow after my outside work.

I got a pallet of sod and layed it around the pool today and watered it in well. My plan was to mount the solar panels today but I was just wiped out. There’s always tomorrow.

Hubby picked green peas for me and I sat and shelled peas this afternoon. Being on crutches SUCKS:(
The best advice I can give you is to get some really good pads for your underarms. I’ve been on crutches too many times over the years due to my love of motorcycles.

Hubby picked green peas for me and I sat and shelled peas this afternoon. Being on crutches SUCKS:(
Best advise I can give is borrow a wheelchair if you can. . . It was much easier on the armpits to just use crutches going down the hall and bathroom. I borrowed moms since she keeps a couple around the house in case her electric wheelchair goes out. I would sit in it and push myself around backwards using my good foot and go all around the property.

Btw. . . You are lucky to have your husband's help. Mine would have let it rot.

Best advise I can give is borrow a wheelchair if you can. . . It was much easier on the armpits to just use crutches going down the hall and bathroom. I borrowed moms since she keeps a couple around the house in case her electric wheelchair goes out. I would sit in it and push myself around backwards using my good foot and go all around the property.

Btw. . . You are lucky to have your husband's help. Mine would have let it rot.

Yeah I should have got a wheelchair as my vertigo and crutches are not a good match. And indeed I am blessed with my husband. He tends to hover but I do appreciate the help.

Yeah I should have got a wheelchair as my vertigo and crutches are not a good match. And indeed I am blessed with my husband. He tends to hover but I do appreciate the help.
Even a walker with a fold down seat is great for inside the house. That is what we used for granny to get her from one place to the other. It fits thru most doorways except for our master bath which was the biggest bathroom so the one we used for her with the walk in shower and gave me room to maneuver around in there with her and the chair. We did have to remove the door and cut the casing around the doorway to get the wheels thru. It was a tight fit even then.

Even a walker with a fold down seat is great for inside the house. That is what we used for granny to get her from one place to the other. It fits thru most doorways except for our master bath which was the biggest bathroom so the one we used for her with the walk in shower and gave me room to maneuver around in there with her and the chair. We did have to remove the door and cut the casing around the doorway to get the wheels thru. It was a tight fit even then.

When we bought this home we knew it would be our last so hubby put in wide doors to accommodate wheelchairs, walk in showers, bars by the toilets and showers and handicap toilets. Also bathroom doors that open to the outside. If we never use them that's fine but struggling to take care of first my parents as they aged and then his mother taught us some good lessons about handicapped housing and the elderly.

When I found this house, getting old was the last thing on my mind . . . heck, I was only 29 at the time. I knew what I wanted and even took my hunny's needs into consideration at the time since we were still in the dating phase, but knew it was inevitable. I knew that the house would need some updating even then but other things were priority in life. It wasn't till we knew Granny was going to need to come live with us that we updated the bathroom with the walk in shower, higher toilet and bars. Her bed which is still in the guestroom is one that raises up on both ends, which helps to get up out of bed. I had thought about moving it out and putting in our old furniture since it was an antique bedroom set that belonged to my dads parents. I am now thinking twice about that though. My hunny is getting close to 70 now and have a feeling that we would need to replace it sooner than later. He has so many back and neck issues as it is. My house is up on piers so making a ramp is probably going to be the next thing to work on. Granny only weighed 106 lbs so getting the wheelchair up and down was not an issue, but if either one of us end up in a wheelchair we would definitely need it. First house I ever bought and plan to stay here till the day I die. I will probably end up like Granny and prefer to sit in the living room in front of the big windows and watch my goats all day long. :)

The morons running our country are now actually considering inviting 3 million hong kong chinese to move to the already desparately overcrowded UK that is currently short of some 3.4 million homes for the folks already here.

The morons running our country are now actually considering inviting 3 million hong kong chinese to move to the already desparately overcrowded UK that is currently short of some 3.4 million homes for the folks already here.

I think that is more of a verbal political stunt to PO the Chinese government. I don't think it will become a reality. As you pointed out, you all already have a housing shortage. Doubt there are many bold enough politicians to carry out the threat

When we bought this home we knew it would be our last so hubby put in wide doors to accommodate wheelchairs, walk in showers, bars by the toilets and showers and handicap toilets. Also bathroom doors that open to the outside. If we never use them that's fine but struggling to take care of first my parents as they aged and then his mother taught us some good lessons about handicapped housing and the elderly.
I don’t know what I was thinking when I built this place with two stories! We don’t tend to think about getting older when we’re young and healthy.

I don’t know what I was thinking when I built this place with two stories! We don’t tend to think about getting older when we’re young and healthy.

There is a reason for the old saying "Young and Dumb". I once paid extra to have the "Penthouse" apartment. Now If it has more than four steps, I will pass. Live and learn.

There is a reason for the old saying "Young and Dumb". I once paid extra to have the "Penthouse" apartment. Now If it has more than four steps, I will pass. Live and learn.
Now I have to think about how many steps I have on the front porch. . . I want to say four, but it has not been an issue for me after all the years I have lived here. . . even with granny and pulling my mom up when she used a manual wheelchair. . . . now that it is electric she has yet to visit my home, even though she still has a manual to use. That has been since 2012. . . . just a reminder on how our relationship has been over these years. Me giving., them taking. . . . yep that is a great reminder.

The only good thing is at least it guarantees you get exercise! I’m good for several more years but the living room will likely become a bedroom one day.

We also have a house with more than one level. Haven’t had it all that long either. I have a plan in place to add an elevator when it becomes necessary. There is a bedroom on the main floor, but I don’t like to sleep on a main floor. Feel much safer with my bedroom windows off the ground! LOL

Sorry to hear you have vertigo. Do you get it often? I have had it too.

Got up one morning with it and did a face plant out of the blue about 5 months ago. I do exercises and that has helped but it still messes up my balance pretty often but it is getting better. Just not good enough to be bouncing around on crutches. When it gets bad I have a shiny red walker to use. My husband even put a bicycle horn on it . Isn't he helpful.

Got up one morning with it and did a face plant out of the blue about 5 months ago. I do exercises and that has helped but it still messes up my balance pretty often but it is getting better. Just not good enough to be bouncing around on crutches. When it gets bad I have a shiny red walker to use. My husband even put a bicycle horn on it . Isn't he helpful.

Your hubby is a hoot! :p :D I’ve done the Epley maneuver. What works best for me is to sleep with my head elevated, take meds to clear my sinuses and not lay on my left side when dizzy. If I have another one I’m going to see about surgery on my left ear to take care of it permanently.

Your hubby is a hoot! :p :D I’ve done the Epley maneuver. What works best for me is to sleep with my head elevated, take meds to clear my sinuses and not lay on my left side when dizzy. If I have another one I’m going to see about surgery on my left ear to take care of it permanently.

Same here I bought one of those gel pillows for side sleepers that stays cool through the night. Love it. When my allergies flare up like now with all the tree blooms and pollen floating around it definitely got worse and a daily Zyrtec has helped. I think it is like most conditions you learn to cope and compensate with it. I am still really leery about driving. Fortunately both of us are retired so I have an instant chauffeur. As far as my husband he is a great big burly Scots Irishman with a huge heart. Always laughing and kidding. He is the love of my life and the biggest pain in the #@S ever and we have indeed grown old together and he keeps me laughing :D

The protests are decreasing in intensity, but just like in the case of the Rodney King verdict : if the cops are found innocent....Look Out!

If it’s true that 2 of them were literally brand new cops and still being trained...and that they questioned the murdering cop about getting off of Floyd‘s neck...I don’t see how those 2 don’t walk.

If it’s true that 2 of them were literally brand new cops and still being trained...and that they questioned the murdering cop about getting off of Floyd‘s neck...I don’t see how those 2 don’t walk.
I saw one was on his 4th shift as a cop. He deserves to walk and I hope he does. Even though, he is toxic now and wouldn’t be hired by any other force now. I hadn’t seen where anyone questioned the veteran about his knee or that a second cop was a rookie yet though. I guess it will all come out in the trial. By then most of this will calm down, hopefully....

I saw one was on his 4th shift as a cop. He deserves to walk and I hope he does. Even though, he is toxic now and wouldn’t be hired by any other force now. I hadn’t seen where anyone questioned the veteran about his knee or that a second cop was a rookie yet though. I guess it will all come out in the trial. By then most of this will calm down, hopefully....

Yeah, the newest cop was only on his 3rd shift. Hopefully their body cams will clear these two...IF this is true. These two men’s lives are pretty much ruined, even if they did nothing wrong.

Yeah, the newest cop was only on his 3rd shift. Hopefully their body cams will clear these two...IF this is true. These two men’s lives are pretty much ruined, even if they did nothing wrong.
I certainly feel for them. Now, the cop that actually murdered the guy, I have zero compassion for him

Latest posts

Back