What's new where you live?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The daughter is bringing the grandkids down tomorrow or the next day. She plans to leave them here for a week or so. We haven't seen them since sometime last year.
The wife's boss is going to let her take a month off work to care for me. I'm getting better but just driving down our road is rough. But we just got a message from the post office that our order of chicks and ducks are in so now we have to go pick them up.

The daughter is bringing the grandkids down tomorrow or the next day. She plans to leave them here for a week or so. We haven't seen them since sometime last year.
The wife's boss is going to let her take a month off work to care for me. I'm getting better but just driving down our road is rough. But we just got a message from the post office that our order of chicks and ducks are in so now we have to go pick them up.

Let the fun begin! Grandkids and chicks :D

So happy that your wife is getting that much time off to stay at home with you! She can supervise and keep you in line while you are still trying to heal. Have a feeling you are not the type to "behave" otherwise. . ;). I hope the grandkids are old enough to help out with the chicks and ducks. I know our four year old is and also with your garden. They should be a big help for both you and your wife. And they are getting to learn, another big plus! I know you have said in the past your kids aren't interested in living the lifestyle, but you may rub it off into your grandkids. :)

Here in NC, the REAL problem is a democrat governor. I am sure everyone has heard how that idiot has tried to control Trump and the RNC by limiting the 2020 RNC convention that was scheduled for Charlotte. Now the idiot has cost Charlotte (or more pointedly the businesses) millions. But then again, it is really not the governor that is calling shots, he is answering to the DNC. Hopefully, we can get a REAL governor with the next election.

So happy that your wife is getting that much time off to stay at home with you! She can supervise and keep you in line while you are still trying to heal. Have a feeling you are not the type to "behave" otherwise. . ;). I hope the grandkids are old enough to help out with the chicks and ducks. I know our four year old is and also with your garden. They should be a big help for both you and your wife. And they are getting to learn, another big plus! I know you have said in the past your kids aren't interested in living the lifestyle, but you may rub it off into your grandkids. :)
Yeah. She's always nagging at me stop doing things. Today she caught me hanging up some traps on the side of the fur shed that I need to work on. I thought she couldn't see me.
We picked up the ducklings at the post office today and set up a brooder for them. The wife wrestled an empty 300 water trough in to the fur shed where she set up the plate heater, food and water. The baby chicks should arrive tomorrow.
We're looking forward to the grandkids visit tomorrow. Our daughter is leaving in the morning and should be here before dark. The grand kids are our last hope in passing this place down in the family. Since the kids aren't interested in this place we sold off all of our "excess" properties. We even sold the timbered property that burned a couple years ago.

The mayor of La Mesa (San Diego County) and other city officials are trying to hold a live press conference to discuss the riots. Unfortunately, the speaker at the podium is constantly being interrupted by unknown persons in the audience. Hmmmmm....I wonder who they could be? :rolleyes:

I dont live in an area that is effected with all these freaking protest so it has been a normal day for me. Midnight I was at work. Did talk to a black co-worker about what she thought about all these riots happening around our country and she feels the same way as I do. . . it is no longer about George Floyd with all the looting and destruction going on. After getting off, it was almost daylight since I had to work over a couple hours so went out to feed and then went to the garden to do my picking. After I came in, I did get a shower and slept a couple hours before getting back up for coffee. Then started canning up Ratatouille and then Zucchini salad. . . Hunny was nice enough at evening feeding to geed for me since I was still canning and making dinner. My day is basically over and am trying to relax some so I can go to sleep. . . .

My town has stayed quiet, people seem to have gone back to normal everywhere except healthcare related places which still have a lot of precautions. There are some restrictions on other types of businesses too regarding capacity, safety measures, etc that are statewide too. The only protests here have been very peaceful and quiet, looks like regular people rallying for a cause they support, no rioting or looting. The police here are typically pretty peaceful too and tend to have a good relationship with the community as well.

Quiet day today again. It spit rain on and off all day but never really amounted to much. Hubby made a feed run. We finished the mowing and weed eating yesterday so just puttered around the place and did a little housework.

I had to work in Atlanta today. Was a long one, 17 straight hours. Was in Atlanta till 1:30am In pretty bad area so was a little worried about the protests and riots. Luckily it was unfounded. It rained so hard I was looking for an ark for a while there but I believe the downpour dispersed everyone. Glad to finally be back home.

The daughter made it down last night with the grandkids. On the way down she got a call back to work for this morning. So she dropped the kids off and had to drive all night to get home. We're really enjoying the grandkids, but who knew that a 4 and 5 year old could be such a hand full.
They will keep you young and on your toes. :p

They will keep you young and on your toes. :p
They sure will! We just loaded them up in the back of the side by side and went to pick wild flowers and wild onions for their lunch. Then we drove up to the pond and looked for a picnic site, but it looks like a storm is blowing in.

Last edited:
Hunny got a call this morning from his doctor. They can finally do his surgery on June 15th. . . My birthday. He has been waiting for months now and when he told me about having an opening that day, I told him to go ahead. I wasn't about to make him wait any longer.

Woke up to rain early but then cleared up overall almost an inch. We took a ride to the Mennonite farm stand. Beautiful tomatoes and cukes out of their greenhouse. We got some pruning and weeding done this afternoon. Things are so quiet it is almost eerie. Hope to plant some more garden tomorrow.

Hunny got a call this morning from his doctor. They can finally do his surgery on June 15th. . . My birthday. He has been waiting for months now and when he told me about having an opening that day, I told him to go ahead. I wasn't about to make him wait any longer.
I wish you both the best possible outcome and happy birthday to you.

Oh what a day this has been. Just did 6 hours in the ER. Hubby's two 60+ pound bird dogs were running around in the back yard playing and clipped me. 6 stitches in my head. A mild concussion and a sprained knee. I am now on crutches and hubby is supposed to wake me every 4 hours for tonight. Jeez aint life grand. Started out the year with vertigo and a bang to the head, then a pandemic, then a riot, and now another bang to the head and crutches. The fun is just never ending. Stay safe

Oh what a day this has been. Just did 6 hours in the ER. Hubby's two 60+ pound bird dogs were running around in the back yard playing and clipped me. 6 stitches in my head. A mild concussion and a sprained knee. I am now on crutches and hubby is supposed to wake me every 4 hours for tonight. Jeez aint life grand. Started out the year with vertigo and a bang to the head, then a pandemic, then a riot, and now another bang to the head and crutches. The fun is just never ending. Stay safe
I am so sorry to hear this. .. . You take care of yourself. I know what it is like to get injured with beloved critters and on crutches. been there and done that one.

Get well soon Mon ami

Hope you’re back to normal in no time.

That is awful DD! It has surely been a year for you. Ugh. Hang in there and rest. Keep us updated please.

Woke up to rain early but then cleared up overall almost an inch. We took a ride to the Mennonite farm stand. Beautiful tomatoes and cukes out of their greenhouse. We got some pruning and weeding done this afternoon. Things are so quiet it is almost eerie. Hope to plant some more garden tomorrow.

I cooked up the first of the patty pan squash yesterday. Made a spread for on top. It was true joy from the garden to eat!

Oh goodness. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Latest posts

Back