What's new where you live?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the antibody test today and it was negative. I was really hoping it would be positive so I could start doing more things. Oh well...I guess I had a really nasty flu. Either that or it was a false negative :rolleyes:

How did you get one? I would of course like to know if my test was correct and what I had was the Chinese virus.

I had the antibody test today and it was negative. I was really hoping it would be positive so I could start doing more things. Oh well...I guess I had a really nasty flu. Either that or it was a false negative :rolleyes:
A lot of the antibody tests are quite inaccurate. Some of them were reading antibodies for any coronaviruses (colds) as COVID-19 antibodies so people might be thinking they're immune when they're not. I'm sure some of them are inaccurate the other way - so you might well have had it.

I don't go many places, but have never worn a mask when I do. I do carry wipes and clean everything I put in my cart.

Robin I hate to admit but while we are not hermits we normally spend most of our time at home also. My husband goes to his American Legion meetings once a month and we shop for feed by the month. We average a grocery haul about every two weeks. Our world pretty well is what is inside these fences. My husband and I both have enough projects, hobbies, upkeep on the place, prepping stuff and gardening to keep 1 small herd of people busy. We don't travel much anymore except maybe to visit grandchildren from time to time.

Robin I hate to admit but while we are not hermits we normally spend most of our time at home also. My husband goes to his American Legion meetings once a month and we shop for feed by the month. We average a grocery haul about every two weeks. Our world pretty well is what is inside these fences. My husband and I both have enough projects, hobbies, upkeep on the place, prepping stuff and gardening to keep 1 small herd of people busy. We don't travel much anymore except maybe to visit grandchildren from time to time.

Amen. I have to go to "town" today to pick up son's homework and it was like a major outing. I stopped by my daughter's house. She can't visit us because she was on a plane this week. I went to TSC for animals and I hated it. I had to put on makeup. Lol.

Mom has an eye appointment on Monday and I'm dreading it. She hasn't been off the property since the 1st week of March. Same for my son. The doctor has very strict rules since most of their patients are elderly. I'll spray her down when she comes out of office.

I'm helping with a food drive at my church tomorrow. The donors drop it off on the curb or open their trunk and we come take it out. I and a couple other people will sort and take it to a local food pantry.
There are still a lot of people struggling, even though places are opening back up they don't have the same hours or full staff so hopefully this will be able to help them out.

I think that is the natural progression of life for most. I find more satisfaction in projects around the home than most things I have done over my lifetime. I still want to travel some, when things open back up some, but honestly I like my own cooking, movies are more enjoyable lying in bed with your favorite snack and the dog snuggled up to you, and I’ve waited in lines at busy theme parks enough to last two lifetimes! There’s just not that much that I miss so much

Well summer is here, along with some strange weather. 109 F yesterday and fantastic clear blue skies. Very calm and almost no wind. 10 minutes later, it decided to rain. Not our typical deluge but more than just a sprinkle. Very strange for this time of year.

The stores are opening back up. Scheduled for a badly needed haircut, masks required. Wife got a manicure yesterday and is scheduled for a pedicure next week, again masks required. Business will return to the new normal, masks required.

Relocation is scheduled for end of July, masked required. Labor comes in and loads the truck, masks required. I drive the truck to new location and labor unloads it, masks required. I do feel sorry for the guys loading the truck here, the temp is going to be brutal. At least they will be carrying everything DOWN the stairs.

Well summer is here, along with some strange weather. 109 F yesterday and fantastic clear blue skies. Very calm and almost no wind. 10 minutes later, it decided to rain. Not our typical deluge but more than just a sprinkle. Very strange for this time of year.

The stores are opening back up. Scheduled for a badly needed haircut, masks required. Wife got a manicure yesterday and is scheduled for a pedicure next week, again masks required. Business will return to the new normal, masks required.

Relocation is scheduled for end of July, masked required. Labor comes in and loads the truck, masks required. I drive the truck to new location and labor unloads it, masks required. I do feel sorry for the guys loading the truck here, the temp is going to be brutal. At least they will be carrying everything DOWN the stairs.
Still doesn't sound like fun!

I'm supposed to be taking it easy here but I still have about 3 miles of fence left to check. Today I was working my way south along the east line. So far just a few broken wires that I was able to stretch and splice. Its very steep in this area and I rolled the side by side down in to some trees and brush. Had to cut my way out and head stright down the mountain cutting my way through the trees. At the same time a storm decided to blow in. Right now we're having high winds.
I'm already paying the price for over doing it. And the wife is a little upset with me for taking off to work on the fence. I'm not about to tell her that I put in 10 posts today too.

Our local weekly market is reopening on Tuesday, outside stalls for the first two weeks, then as from the 15th inside stalls are allowed. very pleased at this as we thought this had closed and we had lost it for good so this is really good news.

There is a weekly liberal tabloid in Nashville that has the cover story on "Prepared for the Worst". .....In light of a global pandemic, so-called preppers don't look so extreme after all.

The funny part is that Liberal magazine actually says you need a gun and ammo. It's amazing how thing change when SHTF closer to home.

If interested see NashviileScene.Com

Of course we all know this but it's interesting to see the novice finally opening their eyes.

Pretty quiet here! Hubby went fishing since we spent yesterday hauling mulch. I have a nice Sunday dinner cooked for when he gets back. Baked Spiral sliced ham, green beans and new potatoes, homemade mac and cheese and a honey bun cake. Gonna spend the afternoon in my chair. Maybe do some knitting but more than likely an afternoon nap. I hear lots of motorcycles in the distance. The motorcycle riding clubs are loving the beautiful weather. Hard to believe that the violence is as close as Nashville. Everyone stay safe.

Lake traffic is very busy today. It has been elevated since the stay home rule because people can go fishing to get out of the house.

Since we are finally rain free, I'm seeing more recreational vehicles like jet skis, etc. Not just fishing boats. By Sunday afternoon, the alcohol has kicked in and the people leaving are loud and fighting a lot when they stop at the stop sign close to us. Many have "been left" at the stop sign because they are fighting, but they usually drive back and pick them up. They also throw beer cans on our property instead of the two garbage cans they drive by

Our local weekly market is reopening on Tuesday, outside stalls for the first two weeks, then as from the 15th inside stalls are allowed. very pleased at this as we thought this had closed and we had lost it for good so this is really good news.
It’s sad to think of all the smal businesses that won’t be reopening. Even lots of bigger chain stores aren’t able to take the hit from being closed for a couple months. It will be interesting to see what’s left in six months or so.

It’s sad to think of all the smal businesses that won’t be reopening. Even lots of bigger chain stores aren’t able to take the hit from being closed for a couple months. It will be interesting to see what’s left in six months or so.
Sad for those owners, yes. But as the saying goes "Nature abhors a vacuum."

This type of turbulence is what makes capitalism succeed. Every business failure is a new opportunity for another business to fill the gap, and life goes on.

Got a badly needed haircut. Wife much happier. Super sanitary procedures in place. Masked required, Disinfection procedure required between every customer, even if the next client is a household member of the last client. Very impressed with the haircut and procedure.

Got a badly needed haircut. Wife much happier. Super sanitary procedures in place. Masked required, Disinfection procedure required between every customer, even if the next client is a household member of the last client. Very impressed with the haircut and procedure.

Many salon owners say the strict measures will break thwm. In KY I was told the PPEs will be $15 per customer. In TN, you can't have people working in same room at same time. One owner said he went from 20 customers per day to 8. Said he can't survive. Hey the danger is over or there wouldn't be people rioting. Right?

There is a weekly liberal tabloid in Nashville that has the cover story on "Prepared for the Worst". .....In light of a global pandemic, so-called preppers don't look so extreme after all.

The funny part is that Liberal magazine actually says you need a gun and ammo. It's amazing how thing change when SHTF closer to home.

If interested see NashviileScene.Com

Of course we all know this but it's interesting to see the novice finally opening their eyes.
I have been amazed too to see people I had never thought would embrace prepping who have finally admitted I'm not crazy. I think this has been eye-opening for everyone, but I think too many people's eyes will just close again eventually.

Many salon owners say the strict measures will break thwm. In KY I was told the PPEs will be $15 per customer. In TN, you can't have people working in same room at same time. One owner said he went from 20 customers per day to 8. Said he can't survive. Hey the danger is over or there wouldn't be people rioting. Right?
I guess the price will be going up for a lot of services. Some services are adding a surcharge for PPE to pass the cost along to the customer.
Then there are those hair salons in the news that exposed 50+ people to the virus because workers were infected and worked without proper PPE.
Right now a lot of things seem to be lose-lose.

Here we are going back to church in person now. Only a small percentage of people are actually attending, many are still watching online. Everyone who comes in wearing masks and they are checking temperatures with one of those "scanners" which I'm not entirely certain are very accurate but don't require contact.

Raleigh NC as instilled a 8:00pm curfew. I live in same county (Wake) in a town next too Raleigh. My daughter and granddaughter arrived last evening so we attempted to pick something up at a drive thru. We were surprised that all the Restaurants in the area closed at 8 even though we are not actually in Raleigh. Just as things were starting to reopen the riots come along and shuts things down again.

What America has going on but clearly cannot see is a bloody Insurgency as extreme left wingers aligned with others are openly tryuing to bring the US to its knees. Nothing to do with race at all. Just like the VietMin and Cong operated covertly to destabilise South Vietnam the same influencers are doing the same to the US.

Did some errands today, post office and the like. Just another day in the country. Took hubby's truck to get him some supplies. Went to 3 towns to find a 4 X 4 post treated. Lowes is even out in the big towns down the mountain and they have hit the little lumberyards in the outlying communities. Can't get them from the lumber suppliers they said. Everyone is building fences! SO much for fixing that bad post. Sakrete same way. Jeez is this ever going to end. On the flip side no riots or looting up here on the mountain that I have seen. Stay safe

Latest posts

Back