What's new where you live?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We got ours today too, but instead of a check it is a prepaid VISA card.
I had heard they were issuing those as well. It seems kind of too easy to steal to me but I guess nothing is foolproof. I haven’t asked our accountant about it but I am sure this will count as income and be subject to income tax for the year. I hope enough people are wise enough to set some aside for that but know the majority won’t.

We got our checks from the govt today. Since we always owe money each year we never get refunds and had to wait for the mailed check. I almost feel guilty about accepting the money though. No, I’m not sending it back and will put it to good use, but I still think it’s insane they gave out two trillion dollars that they didn’t have. I think, maybe, that giving the people that actually lost their jobs a little help would have been smart, but just giving everyone money is insane. I know three people that lost their jobs and now they receive twice their income from unemployment. How does that make any sense. I am glad we weren’t dependent on that money to survive as it took so long to arrive. We would have allready starved to death...
I should check our bank account to see if we got our share of Trumps trillions yet. I don't agree with it, but I could use it. Today I committed to buying 50 ton of oat hay. With what we already have in the barn we should be good on hay this winter. Just have to hire someone to stack it now. I'm not supposed to lift more than 20 pounds for another couple months. The wife won't even let me get a cold one out of the fridge by myself.

Last edited:
We got our checks from the govt today. Since we always owe money each year we never get refunds and had to wait for the mailed check. I almost feel guilty about accepting the money though. No, I’m not sending it back and will put it to good use, but I still think it’s insane they gave out two trillion dollars that they didn’t have. I think, maybe, that giving the people that actually lost their jobs a little help would have been smart, but just giving everyone money is insane. I know three people that lost their jobs and now they receive twice their income from unemployment. How does that make any sense. I am glad we weren’t dependent on that money to survive as it took so long to arrive. We would have allready starved to death...
I didn't feel bad about accepting it. It was less than I had paid in taxes so I just felt like I had lower taxes this past year - like I got a refund instead of having to pay!
I had heard they were issuing those as well. It seems kind of too easy to steal to me but I guess nothing is foolproof. I haven’t asked our accountant about it but I am sure this will count as income and be subject to income tax for the year. I hope enough people are wise enough to set some aside for that but know the majority won’t.
According to what I've heard it's considered a tax credit and not subject to income tax. Of course I'm not an accountant so don't take my word for it. I'm sure turbotax will ask me about it next year so if I have to pay taxes on it then it will be taken care of.

I didn't feel bad about accepting it. It was less than I had paid in taxes so I just felt like I had lower taxes this past year - like I got a refund instead of having to pay!

According to what I've heard it's considered a tax credit and not subject to income tax. Of course I'm not an accountant so don't take my word for it. I'm sure turbotax will ask me about it next year so if I have to pay taxes on it then it will be taken care of.
I’ve paid taxes my whole life so I don’t feel too guilty about getting something back either. I definitely think it was a monumental waste overall though. I will ask the accountant about tax liability and post it when I find out here.

I’ve paid taxes my whole life so I don’t feel too guilty about getting something back either. I definitely think it was a monumental waste overall though. I will ask the accountant about tax liability and post it when I find out here.
I'm not denying there was a lot of waste. I agree about not feeling guilty though when I've "paid in."

I should check our bank account to see if we got our share of Trumps trillions yet. I don't agree with it, but I could use it. Today I committed to buying 50 ton of oat hat. With what we already have in the barn we should be good on hay this winter. Just have to hire someone to stack it now. I'm not supposed to lift more than 20 pounds for another couple months. The wife won't even let me get a cold one out of the fridge by myself.

Arctic I missed that your wife is back from her job?

Arctic I missed that your wife is back from her job?
Finially. She got home last Friday. Her company wanted her to go back to work tomorrow. But Alaska still has a 2 week quarantine period so she's going to stay home until the state lifts the quarantine. This will work out as I'm still trying to heal.

I had high hopes for today but all didn't happen. Of course first off is always feeding and garden. I did get 32 pints of various squash types canned, blanched my green beans and vacuumed sealed for the freezer, halved deseeded and froze all my bell peppers, and made all of my dinner except the cornbread. Still have 8 patty squash to go, but at least I got all the eggplant, yellow squash and zucchini canned up along with some of the patty. Had my shower inbetween canning loads while it was decompressing. Would really like to watch the space launch, but I need to try to get some sleep before work tonight before I need to get back up for feeding again and warming/finishing dinner.

I'm finally getting my antibody test tomorrow at 1:40 pm. Yay!

I never heard back from the NIH study, who where supposed to call me a long time ago, but never did.

My doctor's office said they don't do those. Yeah, I know, LabCorp does all their testing and LabCorp DOES do antibody tests but only if the doctor orders it. But they pretended ignorance and refused to order it. I think I'm going to order a new doctor soon. :mad:

They suggested the Health Department.

When I called the Health Department's COVID-19 Hotline, I was hung up on four times in a row, and then finally got through to someone, but I don't think the girl I talked to even knew what an antibody test was because she sounded confused and had to go ask someone. Then she said they don't do antibody tests.

Then I found out that Mercy Med clinic is doing drive through antibody testing by appointment.

Finially. She got home last Friday. Her company wanted her to go back to work tomorrow. But Alaska still has a 2 week quarantine period so she's going to stay home until the state lifts the quarantine. This will work out as I'm still trying to heal.

Well that worked out great as far as timing. I am sure you will heal faster with someone around to keep you inline :p I bet she will make sure you don't overdo it. Get well soon

Well, the POS Samsung refrigerator that has been repaired 16 times in 3 years is finally going away. I ordered a new one today.

I did lots of research and the Samsung gets a 33% rating and the Whirlpool I ordered a 92%. I asked numerous repair people and they all said to get Whirlpool. The price had risen $200 in 3 weeks. I guess people are buying extras to keep in garage to put extra food in case there is another shortage.

We also got a new gas grill. We go through lots of grills because we use them year round. I hook it to the main propane line and don't mess with the bottles. I will fill the bottles to keep for my generator. That will give me 3.

Well, the POS Samsung refrigerator that has been repaired 16 times in 3 years is finally going away. I ordered a new one today.

I did lots of research and the Samsung gets a 33% rating and the Whirlpool I ordered a 92%. I asked numerous repair people and they all said to get Whirlpool. The price had risen $200 in 3 weeks. I guess people are buying extras to keep in garage to put extra food in case there is another shortage.

We also got a new gas grill. We go through lots of grills because we use them year round. I hook it to the main propane line and don't mess with the bottles. I will fill the bottles to keep for my generator. That will give me 3.
I ran the line to hook my grill up to the main gas supply but never seemed to get around to it. I’ll Move that up on my list! Yeah, the freezer I just got was a lot more than last year too. I’m afraid the costs of most things are going up now.

I am getting about 10 duck eggs per week from my neighbor lady, she can't eat or bake as fast as they lay. (My win) I decided now that we have 25 of them in the fridge and we can't eat or bake that fast either, we pickled 6 of them yesterday to see how that goes. Apple cider Vinegar, sugar, salt, garlic, coriander, peppers, mustard seeds, cloves and bay leaves...We will have to see in a few weeks. If all goes well we will do more. GP

I am getting about 10 duck eggs per week from my neighbor lady, she can't eat or bake as fast as they lay. (My win) I decided now that we have 25 of them in the fridge and we can't eat or bake that fast either, we pickled 6 of them yesterday to see how that goes. Apple cider Vinegar, sugar, salt, garlic, coriander, peppers, mustard seeds, cloves and bay leaves...We will have to see in a few weeks. If all goes well we will do more. GP
I love pickled eggs on my salads especially with honey mustard and baked chicken. . . That is some good stuff.

I don’t believe I’ve ever tried a pickled egg. I still have nightmares from the memories as a child and seeing the big glass jars of them on gas station counters. Who knows how old those were.... lol

For me I don't see any reason to live any different than before this "crisis" came up. I live in an area of the state that doesn't have any case's of the China flu, and the state hasn't had any deaths from the China flu. There has been a small hand full of people that had died with the flu, but they didn't die from the flu.
If someone feels safe wearing a mask then they should wear a mask. I didn't wear a mask while I was in the hospital and I have no intention of wearing one anywhere else. Personal choice.

I’ve recently stopped wearing my mask. I do social distance and always keep wipes in my hand. If others want to wear them they should...but don’t expect everyone to do the same.

I’ve recently stopped wearing my mask. I do social distance and always keep wipes for my hands. If others want to wear them they should...but don’t expect everyone to do the same.

Georgia we continue to wear masks if we go anywhere crowded like a store. We instead try to shop in the off hours when the crowds are lower. We continue to take disinfectant wipes in my purse and wipe down buggies and such. I carry hand sanitizer in my purse as well as car. I also have Lysol to spray my car and disinfect. We try to social distance as much as possible. My husband's American Legion Post had a potluck for Memorial Day that we chose not to attend. We did not think that was prudent to attend a function with shared food dishes and cutlery. We do this all because it is our choice. We are high risk due to our ages and preexisting medical issues. We do however NOT expect other people to be forced to adhere to our hygiene standards for our benefit. If they are comfortable not wearing masks then by all means do so.

We do pretty much the same as DD. Rarely wear a mask. Only when in a crowded store (ie WalMart) and haven't been on one of those for a while. I have found Target to be far less crowded and carry most everything we need. In most cases, a little higher priced but I am willing to pay the difference for not having to wear the mask. But, I do wear gloves and make sure to wipe them down with alcohol wipes when finished and before entering the vehicle.

I’ve recently stopped wearing my mask. I do social distance and always keep wipes in my hand. If others want to wear them they should...but don’t expect everyone to do the same.
I think the mask will keep you a lot safer than the sanitizer or gloves.

This morning I went to town to get a few things. I stopped at the auto parts store, gas station and the grocery store. The only mask wearer was an older lady that worked in the store. 99.99% of the people around here will NOT wear a mask. To me it's all personal choice to wear or not to wear a mask. Hell I don't care if someone wants to wrap themselves in bubble wrap and bathe in Lysol. I have no intention of ever wearing a mask.
Oh, and I'm sick of hearing about New York City and that idiot Cuomo.

you will not be served at the gas station or shopping if you do not wear a mask in Germany. They will be charged 25.000 Euros fine for serving you at any pharmacy, store, shopping center, mall or gas station...everybody is doing well and wearing the masks even if they complain, they still wanna be served and not kicked out by the security dudes...GP

My friend sent me this account of a friend of hers experiences with the virus recently. It was originally posted to her facebook. I thought it gives an interesting perspective.

"Everyone can judge me all they want. This is what I have seen and witnessed with my own eyes. I have never posted anything like this but my soul is on fire right now. I have been in Waterloo Iowa- Black Hawk County “the hot bed of Covid-19” for the past week. (Think Tyson plant). I am here because my dear uncle

Larry
passed away last week of an abdominal aortic aneurysm that he was suppose to have surgery for in March. The doctor canceled because of the virus. Rescheduled for April 23rd and then they canceled again a few days before. Within five days my uncle was dead. THEN we were told we could not have a funeral for him because no more than 10 people were allowed to gather at a time. We had to bury him immediately because he was an organ donor. My uncle had pre paid for his funeral and allotted funds for a vocalist, a minister, food, servers, flower, etc. He didn’t get any of that! Only immediate family came back to bury him. We had a graveside service for him this past Monday, 3 days ago.
We got word today that his death certificate was ready to be pick up so we drove to the funeral home to get it. When we pulled in, the funeral home parking lot was PACKED full of cars and people!!! No social distancing, no masks. Same inside the the funeral home. My mom asked why all of the people were allowed to be there...they informed her that the governor lifted the restrictions yesterday!!!! WHAT??!!! It’s different everyday!!! So frustrating!!
The Covid testing parking lot center in Black Hawk County has been empty every single time we’ve driven past there. Not one car.
We then went to the hospital (Sartori) to get my uncle’s belongings that were with him when he died. Empty hospital. The nurse there was saying how she couldn’t breathe through her mask and she was refusing to even wear the layered masks that they require because she isn’t scared and she needs to breathe. We talked to several hospital staff that said they didn’t have the Covid numbers being reported. The waiting room was completely empty. In that meeting we were informed that his belongings actually went with his body the night he died to the other hospital (Covenant), so we went there. My mom spoke with the nurse while she was waiting for security to bring his things, and asked her how everything was going there since she knew that Black Hawk County was “a hot bed” for the virus. You wanna know what??? The nurse ROLLED HER EYES!!!!! She said, “yeah we had an influx a couple weeks ago, but nothing like the news is reporting.” My mom said, “the media is having a hay day with this, aren’t they?” And she said (shaking her head), “yes they are!”
You guys!!!!! I am shaking. My uncle is dead because he wasn’t able to have an “ elective” surgery (that would’ve saved his life- yet abortion clinics have not closed their doors one day since this started- yes I said it. It’s a fact). My uncle couldn’t even have a real funeral (that he had spent so much time and thoughtfulness planning for his loved ones) yet now funerals are allowed??? hospitals are empty, and nurses even know this isn’t what the media is reporting!!!!! I’m not saying the virus isn’t real, I’m saying there is more to this story and people need to wake up and fight for their rights! Any nurse who speaks out publicly will lose their job. Any video posted speaking truth by scientists or other health professionals who have nothing to gain from this fiasco gets removed! Any medical professional speaking out against the so-called protocols gets called a nut job and censored. Why??? None of this makes any sense!
I know this will offend people, especially my dear friends working in health care. I appreciate, respect, and love you. And I believe you are working to save people’s lives. You are heros. But I’m offended too. I’m offended that my uncle is collateral damage to a virus that has a 96%+ recovery rate. I’m offended for my friends who can’t pay their bills and are going into debt because they are prohibited from working careers they spent their lives building. Im offended for every person wearing a mask in their car alone. I’m offended for the 12 year old girl I saw walking in the park on a beautiful day with a mask on. Bless them, they have the fear of the media in them! I’m offended that my uncle’s friends couldn’t come pay their respects but 3 days later people can have funerals. Who’s on first?? I’m offended that we have shut down a world economy. And I’m offended that anyone who is concerned about that is labeled uncaring. I’m offended that people who ask questions or don’t blindly trust what’s being told to them by CNN, FOX, NBC, ABC, MSNBC get attacked and told they don’t care about people and want people to die. I’m sorry but Savannah Guthrie and Lester Holt aren’t the boss of me. I don’t want anyone to die, I want people to LIVE their lives!!!!! And I’m offended that we are all being LIED to by the main stream media. I’m offended that so many believe every single thing they hear on the news! Why don’t people take some time and figure out who funds your news stations? Do a little digging and find out who sits on the boards of the CDC and WHO? Who funds the people making the decisions that you are hanging on every word of? Raise your hand if you’re getting the Covid vaccine in 6 months. Well, if you keep blindly believing these frauds you might not have a choice.
“ It’s not the government’s job to protect my health. It’s the government’s job to protect my rights. It’s my job to protect my health. When you trade liberty for safety you end up losing both. "

I don’t believe I’ve ever tried a pickled egg.
The next time you finish a jar of pickles or even red beets, leave the juice in the jar, put 2-3 boiled eggs in the leftover juice and put it, closed, back in the fridge. Wait 3-4 weeks and try the results. You will never want a "normal" boiled egg again with its rubbery flat taste which needs salt and pepper or something else on it to get it down. They taste just like the pickles or beets, have a different color and are even harder to the touch. Making a egg salad or anything else with boiled eggs will be just better...

Thanks for the story DD, another side of the whole damn crisis. Told from the heart, explained for the stupid and hard to swallow for the wise and good of heart. Another good person had to survive one of the bad times in their lives in which everything could and should run sort of an accepted and painless path. But, it just didn't happen. Like the man who was pardoned from Death Row, 4 minutes too late.....GP

Georgia we continue to wear masks if we go anywhere crowded like a store. We instead try to shop in the off hours when the crowds are lower. We continue to take disinfectant wipes in my purse and wipe down buggies and such. I carry hand sanitizer in my purse as well as car. I also have Lysol to spray my car and disinfect. We try to social distance as much as possible. My husband's American Legion Post had a potluck for Memorial Day that we chose not to attend. We did not think that was prudent to attend a function with shared food dishes and cutlery. We do this all because it is our choice. We are high risk due to our ages and preexisting medical issues. We do however NOT expect other people to be forced to adhere to our hygiene standards for our benefit. If they are comfortable not wearing masks then by all means do so.

DD my hubby and I don’t attend anything like a potluck either. We don’t have any medical issues, and don’t take any meds...am not overweight and do exercise, so I guess I’m trying to say that is why we aren’t too worried. And don’t forget that I already had it. Wasn’t bad, but I did take MMS right away.

I think the mask will keep you a lot safer than the sanitizer or gloves.

Thanks Brent! Good to see you! Since I’ve already had it, I’m just not that worried. Sure, I’ve heard a person can get it twice, but I think I would get through it fine again. My husband is one of those kind that never, ever gets anything. Because we are healthy and don’t take meds we feel like it’s better to build our immunity.

Latest posts

Back