What's new where you live?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. We grew up working outside in the garden, planting trees, etc. My parents are well-educated but there were times when my Dad did manual jobs as well to get extra income when needed. We were always taught that there is dignity in all honest work. I have a regular 8-5 office job where I manage in-home caretakers for the elderly. When I am needed or I need a little extra money, I will get overtime hours working with our clients as well. It might not be glamorous but it's a needed job. I have some people who apply and want to work in our office (we don't even need a lot of extra office help) but they don't want to have to provide direct care for clients, I guess because that's the "dirty work." Well guess what - everyone who works in the office is trained on providing direct care and required to work with clients sometimes.
I don't think a lot of people have a realistic idea of all the work that is required to keep us all alive. I remember discussing in a college class and the professor brought up the fact that it's not possible for everyone to have a "white collar" job because the "blue collar" jobs would still need to be done. Some of the students acted like this couldn't possibly be true; they seemed to believe that if everyone went to college and got educated then somehow the need for trash collectors, nursing assistants, farmers, and factory workers would just evaporate like some kind of magic.
There is dignity and a sense of accomplishment in any kind of work, or at least should be. Most doctors went into the profession in the past to help others. Now I believe the majority go into it to make lots of money. Somewhere along the line people forgot to think about what would make them happy and content and now think mostly about the salary when picking a career to go into. I know that with gardening I would starve to death, well at least I’d have some fruits and vegetables, but it really is one of the most satisfying things I’ve ever done. The peace and tranquility I get from it, and the exercise are both wonderful things. Our whole economy is driven on more and more. Companies aren’t considered good anymore if they are just profitable but need to be growing constantly. I’m afraid somewhere along the line we started teaching our kids that money is everything and quality of life depends on having lots of it.

Wifey saw all of the thanks (rightfully so) that when to all the normal essential workers but she pointed out that the one we rely on the most was the trash pickup. She stopped them a couple weeks ago, thanked them and gave them a $20 tip. They were extremely appreciative. HMMM, we may now get the best trash service in the area.

Wifey saw all of the thanks (rightfully so) that when to all the normal essential workers but she pointed out that the one we rely on the most was the trash pickup. She stopped them a couple weeks ago, thanked them and gave them a $20 tip. They were extremely appreciative. HMMM, we may now get the best trash service in the area.

My trash dude is a cranky old Mexican. If I gave him $20 he’d probably gripe that he wanted $40.

So many people here seems to be acting like it never happened even while case numbers are rising. It's hard for me to wish ill on others but sometimes I want these people to experience what they are potentially helping cause others to experience.

So many people here seems to be acting like it never happened even while case numbers are rising. It's hard for me to wish ill on others but sometimes I want these people to experience what they are potentially helping cause others to experience.

Tennessee is up to almost 19,000 cases. 429 new cases since yesterday but they say 400 people magically got well in that same period balancing things out. This is per the state health department. I call BS. People here are also acting like it is all over. As for my husband and I we will continue to self isolate as much as possible keeping outside trips to a minimum and being very careful. Masks and hand sanitizer. Social distancing. We may be doing this for some time but our health is worth it. Stay safe.

Tennessee is up to almost 19,000 cases. 429 new cases since yesterday but they say 400 people magically got well in that same period balancing things out. This is per the state health department. I call BS. People here are also acting like it is all over. As for my husband and I we will continue to self isolate as much as possible keeping outside trips to a minimum and being very careful. Masks and hand sanitizer. Social distancing. We may be doing this for some time but our health is worth it. Stay safe.

For me it's not so much my health I'm worried about, but my grandmother, my immuno-compromised sister, my dad with diabetes, my clients at work who are elderly, the ladies at church, etc. I guess some of these people were never taught to care about someone other than themselves.

For me it's not so much my health I'm worried about, but my grandmother, my immuno-compromised sister, my dad with diabetes, my clients at work who are elderly, the ladies at church, etc. I guess some of these people were never taught to care about someone other than themselves.

We are very fortunate that we are both retired and therefore staying at home is easier for us without hurting us financially. We made a choice to self quarantine from many things that we normally do because it seems that people do not wear masks and do not take the threat seriously now in our community. It is just smarter and easier to limit our exposure because we are both in the high risk category. We have been together for a long time. We enjoy each others company most of the time and when we don't we find things to do and give each other space. We enjoy our home and our gardens. We both have lots of hobbies to keep our minds active. We enjoy reading and have access to lots of books online. For exercise we garden, take care of our home and lawn and walk our dogs several times a day. We have plenty of food and medicine. So truly we are blessed because so many do not have any of that right now. We do wish we could see our grandkids more but understand that it is not the responsible thing to do right now. We can wait. We call them and can skype which helps. We miss church but know where to find God without a brick and mortar building. So for now we are good. We are doing what we need to do to stay healthy and not burden our children. Like you we worry for so many and try to stay in touch. We look forward to when this is over and pray that this is not the new norm for us all.

People here are acting like it's over too. . . I really never saw a decrease in traffic, or a whole lot of less people at the stores, but I have seen a lot of people wearing mask. When I went to work last night, it seemed like less customers were wearing them though. We keep seeing a ride of infections here so I am still work I g the overnight shift and will continue until I feel comfortable being in closer contact with others. I have my own work station, but Dirk g day time hours I would have another partner about 8 ft away and people constantly going in between us. Out on the floor stocking my wall multiple people around d me. I do really hate these over night shifts because it messes up two days I stead of just one and since they are not together, I am going from overnight back to trying to be on a day shift for around the housr. It sucks, but I will continue he because of my aging mom, her husband along with mine and the granddaughter who already had breathing issues and had to take treatments multiple times a day. Got notification last night we had our 2nd employee test positive. I was not around this person thank goodness.

For me I don't see any reason to live any different than before this "crisis" came up. I live in an area of the state that doesn't have any case's of the China flu, and the state hasn't had any deaths from the China flu. There has been a small hand full of people that had died with the flu, but they didn't die from the flu.
If someone feels safe wearing a mask then they should wear a mask. I didn't wear a mask while I was in the hospital and I have no intention of wearing one anywhere else. Personal choice.

yesterday we got a 2nd confirmation at our store for positive Covid. . . why I still work over night and yet we got our third today. . . Rumor has it the second cases was doe to a family member who worked at a hospital.. . .

Last edited:
This hospital is not far from where I live. The hospital closed down over a year ago. It was the only hospital in this county. The employees checks bounced and the payroll taxes were unpaid. The closing of this hospital devastated this remote community. The company totally screwed the employees and that community over.

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/i...-year/51-6fad190e-5183-4b84-9be5-e7150655283a

The federal government gave more than $121 thousand in coronavirus relief money to the Jamestown Regional Medical Center, a hospital that has been closed since June 2019.

The Department of Health and Human Services says the hospital received $121,722 from its provider relief fund.

As the Rennova-owned hospital cashes taxpayer dollars, WBIR found it owes more than $1.2 million in unpaid federal taxes.

This hospital is not far from where I live. The hospital closed down over a year ago. It was the only hospital in this county. The employees checks bounced and the payroll taxes were unpaid. The closing of this hospital devastated this remote community. The company totally screwed the employees and that community over.

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/i...-year/51-6fad190e-5183-4b84-9be5-e7150655283a

The federal government gave more than $121 thousand in coronavirus relief money to the Jamestown Regional Medical Center, a hospital that has been closed since June 2019.

The Department of Health and Human Services says the hospital received $121,722 from its provider relief fund.

As the Rennova-owned hospital cashes taxpayer dollars, WBIR found it owes more than $1.2 million in unpaid federal taxes.
Yikes!

There was not a whole lot of beach goers today and it turned out to be beautiful! Spent time with all four grandbabies doing crazy stuff because that is what they expect from their Nana . . . The Gulf was rough today with a South wind blowing it in so had to keep a hand on the two littlest ones at all times. The undertow can get real bad in conditions like that even in shallow waters. Felt nice to get my feet wet, just not my shorts when the waves came crashing in, but it was worth it for those girls. Next time I will have to bring a change of clothes. With the winds I dried out in no time.

There was not a whole lot of beach goers today and it turned out to be beautiful! Spent time with all four grandbabies doing crazy stuff because that is what they expect from their Nana . . . The Gulf was rough today with a South wind blowing it in so had to keep a hand on the two littlest ones at all times. The undertow can get real bad in conditions like that even in shallow waters. Felt nice to get my feet wet, just not my shorts when the waves came crashing in, but it was worth it for those girls. Next time I will have to bring a change of clothes. With the winds I dried out in no time.
It’s good to have a little bit of normal with all the craziness right now.

Every state has reported deaths from COVID-19. Alaska has the fewest at 10.
And 3 of the 10 reported for Alaska didn't even live in the state. Hardly worth destroying a state's economy over in my opinion.
We all know that death numbers have been inflated. Many of the deaths that have been reported as China flu actually died from preexisting conditions.

I’m in agreement that the economy needs to be opened. I’m also sure that the reopening without the use of masks and sanitizer is stupid. We will be back in the same boat in two to three weeks from just this one holiday weekend. This doesn’t need to be political, just use some common sense. Take precautions and be safe.

Screenshot_2020-05-25-18-45-31.png

I’m in agreement that the economy needs to be opened. I’m also sure that the reopening without the use of masks and sanitizer is stupid. We will be back in the same boat in two to three weeks from just this one holiday weekend. This doesn’t need to be political, just use some common sense. Take precautions and be safe.
I would tend to take this BS a little more serious (maybe) if I lived in a highly populated urban area with a large highly packed ethic population and a large immigrant population. But I live in a county with a population of 3,800, and I'm over 70 miles from a town of 5,000. My nearest neighbor is several miles away. There are no cases of the China flu anywhere near me and I don't trust any of the numbers that come from the government.
I don't care what they do in New York, New Jersey, Chicago or any other high population areas.

I would tend to take this BS a little more serious (maybe) if I lived in a highly populated urban area with a large highly packed ethic population and a large immigrant population. But I live in a county with a population of 3,800, and I'm over 70 miles from a town of 5,000. My nearest neighbor is several miles away. There are no cases of the China flu anywhere near me and I don't trust any of the numbers that come from the government.
I don't care what they do in New York, New Jersey, Chicago or any other high population areas.
As someone who works in healthcare I can tell you it's not BS.
In your situation it's probably not such a big deal because you live in a rural area. But if it does start spreading there, y'all probably don't have a lot of ICU beds available nearby so it will be serious.
And it's not just people who are at deaths door anyway who are dying. Older people are more susceptible but so is anyone with a pre-existing condition, whether or not that condition is actively killing them. Even someone with rheumatoid arthritis, crohn's disease, diabetes, cancer, etc. who is living quite well and otherwise would live a nice long life with proper treatments will suffer very seriously and quite possible die from this.

Well Tennessee is over 20,000 cases now while my small very rural community has under 20 cases. Hair salons and live music venues are reopening while cases continue to increase. We continue to stay pretty close to home and garden and social distance as much as possible. Our choice completely. Lots of sunshine and fresh air, a healthy diet and we continue to take our supplements. We woke to gunshots about 4 am turned out our neighboring farm down the road had someone shoot their livestock guardian dog in the paddock in front of their house. There have been a couple break ins into outlying sheds and I have to wonder if the dog did not surprise a thief. Hubby was out of that bed like a shot. Not bad for an old guy. We have motion sensors and alarms in our outbuildings that sound off at our bedside but the cameras that face the road did not pickup anything. The dog died. Lots of gardening and planting going on between rains. Everyone try to stay safe.

Well Tennessee is over 20,000 cases now while my small very rural community has under 20 cases. Hair salons and live music venues are reopening while cases continue to increase. We continue to stay pretty close to home and garden and social distance as much as possible. Our choice completely. Lots of sunshine and fresh air, a healthy diet and we continue to take our supplements. We woke to gunshots about 4 am turned out our neighboring farm down the road had someone shoot their livestock guardian dog in the paddock in front of their house. There have been a couple break ins into outlying sheds and I have to wonder if the dog did not surprise a thief. Hubby was out of that bed like a shot. Not bad for an old guy. We have motion sensors and alarms in our outbuildings that sound off at our bedside but the cameras that face the road did not pickup anything. The dog died. Lots of gardening and planting going on between rains. Everyone try to stay safe.
I feel for the family that had the dog. Even a working dog is family to me. With inflation rising and unemployment likely to get worse crime is as well. Hungry people do things they wouldn’t have normally and of course drug addicts still need to keep their thing going too. The stimulus didn’t keep people going for long at all, as a matter of fact neither me or my son got ours still. Luckily we didn’t need it to survive. All I can say is be careful and aware of things around you. Also remember that stuff and supplies aren’t worth getting killed over. I believe in protecting what I have worked for but also know there are times like if you’re outnumbered it’s best to lay low and live.

I feel for the family that had the dog. Even a working dog is family to me. With inflation rising and unemployment likely to get worse crime is as well. Hungry people do things they wouldn’t have normally and of course drug addicts still need to keep their thing going too. The stimulus didn’t keep people going for long at all, as a matter of fact neither me or my son got ours still. Luckily we didn’t need it to survive. All I can say is be careful and aware of things around you. Also remember that stuff and supplies aren’t worth getting killed over. I believe in protecting what I have worked for but also know there are times like if you’re outnumbered it’s best to lay low and live.
The lowest income are the least likely to have received the stimulus yet also because they either don't have bank accounts or didn't file taxes.
I think for the most part the crime is just people taking advantage of the chaos to cause trouble and not really people in need.
It's horrible for the dog and the family though. Hope the perpetrators are severely punished.

We woke to gunshots about 4 am turned out our neighboring farm down the road had someone shoot their livestock guardian dog
Low life on the run, they will probably try to come back again soon. Tell the neighbor to be ready for them again since they know the dog is gone and it will take a while to train a new one on the land...GP

People are weird. There is nothing worse than a thief and a pet killer.

The lowest income are the least likely to have received the stimulus yet also because they either don't have bank accounts or didn't file taxes.
I think for the most part the crime is just people taking advantage of the chaos to cause trouble and not really people in need.
It's horrible for the dog and the family though. Hope the perpetrators are severely punished.
We got our checks from the govt today. Since we always owe money each year we never get refunds and had to wait for the mailed check. I almost feel guilty about accepting the money though. No, I’m not sending it back and will put it to good use, but I still think it’s insane they gave out two trillion dollars that they didn’t have. I think, maybe, that giving the people that actually lost their jobs a little help would have been smart, but just giving everyone money is insane. I know three people that lost their jobs and now they receive twice their income from unemployment. How does that make any sense. I am glad we weren’t dependent on that money to survive as it took so long to arrive. We would have allready starved to death...

We got our checks from the govt today. Since we always owe money each year we never get refunds and had to wait for the mailed check. I almost feel guilty about accepting the money though. No, I’m not sending it back and will put it to good use, but I still think it’s insane they gave out two trillion dollars that they didn’t have. I think, maybe, that giving the people that actually lost their jobs a little help would have been smart, but just giving everyone money is insane. I know three people that lost their jobs and now they receive twice their income from unemployment. How does that make any sense. I am glad we weren’t dependent on that money to survive as it took so long to arrive. We would have allready starved to death...
We got ours today too, but instead of a check it is a prepaid VISA card.

Latest posts

Back