Adventures in Country Living

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peanut Butter and Jelly.
20240726_142441.jpg

That's Sida by Jelly's right foot. Powerful anibiotic, antiviral and hemotoxin blocker, very good medicine and 22% protien. Livestock will nip the tops occasionally, even chickens eat it.

edit to add photo... Here are my chickens inspecting my work. I was harvesting a bucket of sida for tincture.

Sida jun20  (3).JPG

Last edited:
Thanks @sonya123 . She was aged at 28 and was recently having issues with her digestion and weight, but was in really good weight when she died. I suspect she had a bout with colic during the night that killed her. There was evidence of her being up and down, she was soaking wet with sweat and dirty on both sides, but already cold when I found her.

I'll sure miss her.

Thanks @Bacpacker . Yeah, "they" say 25-30 is average. I've had them live over thirty and lost them in their teens. She lived an average long length of life. We knew her time was coming. She was showing all the signs of aging and slowing down.

Yep, that's a wonderful medicine I've used for years. Even used it to treat snake bite twice. The latin name is Sida rhombifolia. It has a close cousin, Sida acuta. I find them growing together often. S. acuta has narrower leaves and blooms a month earlier than S. rhombifolia.

They grow in every pasture in the south, especially around barns, corrals, pens. A very common plant. Both have yellow blooms and seed balls that get in my muck boots in winter, annoying. Their other name is wire weed. They were imported to make brooms in the 1800's. Once the stem turns dark they are as tough as nails, will choke a lawnmower. If allowed to grow they get about waist high, best use a tractor and bush hog to cut it. 🤣

Medicinally the two species are slightly different, but in a good way. I harvest both at the same time and make a single tincture. I don't separate them and get the benefit of both.

This is sida acuta... identical to rhombifolia except the leaves are narrow. I'm sure you've seen these seed balls before.

Sida jun20  (17).jpg

This is sida acuta... identical to rhombifolia except the leaves are narrow. I'm sure you've seen these seed balls before.

View attachment 158357
I just went back out and identified both species . This is so good to know. I will have to study how to use it.. and "brew" me up some!

Those stems are killers! lol. We always call it ironweed (although I know it's not) because we just didn't know what it was. Wow, I feel so rich now! lol.

Thanks @Peanut

@TexasCharm I wanted you see a page from one of my books, 'Herbal Antibiotics' by Stephen H Buhner MD.. Both his dad and grand dad were surgeon general for the state of KY, guess medicine is a family business. He's board certified as a gp and as a shrink. I have 3 of his books, a must own. I see you work medicine related, so did I, thought you might enjoy a book like this..

All the details are referenced to medical studies and publications, Just the reference list is 61 pages long, every detail so you can look it up, dates, publication numbers. The section on Sida has 17 pages of detail. Medical terminology is used so be prepared.

Here's the short list of bacterial infections Sida has been tested against. You can see that adding s.acuta and s.rhombifolia together makes it a more powerful tincture. These are only the ones tested by publication date, 2012. There are many more...

Sida 04.jpg

I used to read a lot of medical research with my last job. Our systems were experimental and used primarily at research hospitals. It helped me do my job if i understood the research a doctor may be doing. The Nih Pubmed data base was my best friend for a few years. Sadly! 🤣

When i began studying herbal medicine i found the pubmed data base useful again. There used to be a million or so research papers just on medicinal plants. All of it available to the public. (for some strange reason about 80% of it disappeared in 2012 with the implementation of the affordable care act, no longer available to the public 🤬)

Anyway, as i learned each new herb... i knew where to find any research that might have been done, the chemicals involved. Real medical data/science...

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Below is a list of books i put in the library, very good herb books.

Combine them with pubmed and you can learn a lot about plant medicine. :)

(hate the name of this thread, admin did it)

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/herbal-medicine-books-peanut-recommends.6745/#post-184669

Last edited:
When i began studying herbal medicine i found the pubmed data base useful again. There used to be a million or so research papers just on medicinal plants. All of it available to the public. (for some strange reason about 80% of it disappeared in 2012 with the implementation of the affordable care act, no longer available to the public 🤬)
The longer I work in "health"care, the less I trust it... ever.

I'm behind the 8 ball but gathering info, handwriting ALOT of stuff and doing research as I stumble on stuff.. like today!

Mr TC took me out for a hot fudge sundae and a country drive. Happened upon this guy at a beautiful cemetery site. He was magnificent!!
20240728_201203.jpg
20240728_201117.jpg

Heat advisory today so out early for farm chores.

You know you're in the final days of a hen sitting on eggs when you can move stuff around, shovel out the coop, reach all around her spreading DE, open a plastic bag and spread shavings, give her a pet on the head, refresh the food and water, and walk out and she never even blinked! Chicks soon! lol.

Buuuuuuuut, I think I got overheated and now I'm waiting to see if this flashing aura in my vision is going to turn into a migraine.

Hey, did I say yet today...... I HATE summer!

Last edited:
... and then there were 5.
View attachment 159277

Yep, she has that RR grumpy look. Funny, years ago I was cutting hay one morning. Came to the house for lunch, as i ate I kept hearing a bird somewhere in the house.

I go looking, wandering through the rooms. Happened to go in my herb room, where my incubator is located. I'm sort of single minded, thinking about hay and only hay at the time. Forgot I had eggs in the incubator. Yep, they were hatching!!! I soon had a bunch of birds in the house! 🤣

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back