Beef Calf 2024

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 afternoons to clear the vines and brush off 180ft of fence. Have 2 big piles of brush I’ve cut and pulled out. All that brush was the only thing holding up the old wire and posts.

Now I can finally start building a new fence. Don’t know if I’ll be able tomorrow, probably have to rest a day. But it should only take another 4 hours to finish and I can get the calf back on good grass.

20241009_161823a.jpg

20241009_162046a.jpg
20241009_171050a.jpg

Last edited:
Another day on the fence. Got the double H-posts built, center post is set in QuiKrete. After it sets 24hrs the tension wires go on. I’ll trim the post heights too.

Was gonna use the same setup for the corner posts but had to change my plans. But I did get the big corner post set in QuicKrete also. The bracing will be a bit different, no problem.

I needed a couple more small posts, $10 ea at Tsc in town. There is a farm and lumber store just down the road where I could get them for $12. Turns out the store sold out to a new owner. This guy want $25 ea for small posts. He can keep them at that price! And I’m not gonna make a special trip to town for a couple of posts.

Anyway, I got all the old posts pulled up and the old barbwire rolled up. Ready to string new wire as soon as I brace the corner post in the morning.

20241011_132319a.jpg

Last edited:
My back injury is acting up today so I don't know if I'm gonna do any fencing. So, I needed a few groceries in town. I also stopped by the ag services company and got 5 small posts. $5 each! Not $25 like the guy down the road tried to charge me yesterday!

The new owner of that little farm and lumber store is in the middle of hobby farm heaven. Generally they are folks with more money than brains but I don't like seeing anyone get ripped off. I can't say I'll never shop at that store again, farm emergencies do happen. But I'll have to be desperate to buy anything from that guy.

20241012_110915a.jpg

TSC has high prices but I stop there for convenience sometimes. They charge $12ea for these same posts. I stopped and priced them this morning. (they also wanted $100 for a small gate, they can keep it at that price.)

Last edited:
Another day on the fence. Got the double H-posts built, center post is set in QuiKrete. After it sets 24hrs the tension wires go on. I’ll trim the post heights too.

Was gonna use the same setup for the corner posts but had to change my plans. But I did get the big corner post set in QuicKrete also. The bracing will be a bit different, no problem.

I needed a couple more small posts, $10 ea at Tsc in town. There is a farm and lumber store just down the road where I could get them for $12. Turns out the store sold out to a new owner. This guy want $25 ea for small posts. He can keep them at that price! And I’m not gonna make a special trip to town for a couple of posts.

Anyway, I got all the old posts pulled up and the old barbwire rolled up. Ready to string new wire as soon as I brace the corner post in the morning.

View attachment 164583
That's similar to the way I do most of my corners and inline braces. On the corners where I have long runs I'll use rail road ties.
20241012_110010.jpg

Latest posts

Back