Countdown to Preparedness, week by week planning and preparing

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weedy: I didn't mean to hijack your thread, but week 5 Evacuation Kits, fits right in with the thread I just started on How Prepared Are You? I just happened to watch a You Tube video and thought it would be good to share with the group. I think we will all have the same opinion of the family in the video.

The best explanation for Evacuation (or maybe Bugging Out) I have seen is an acronym REDOUT.

R - Resouces of lack of. If you don't have them you better leave.
E - Environmental threats. Self explanatory.
D - Destination. If you don't have one then don't leave. You are at your destination
O - Overwhelming force. If the insane mob is heading your way probably best to leave
U - Unprepared for the situation
T - Threat is growing

We have narrowed things down to four bags: A BOB for each family member and the dog; a food bag, medical bag; and an ARK, Armed Response Kit. If the situation was bad enough we do have an INCH bag (I'm Never Coming Home), a tent and camping duffel bag that would sustain us for some time. We have everything on the checklist.

It is a great reminder to see all of these lists on a regular basis. Thanks for keeping up with the thread. :thumbs:
You are not hijacking! What I like about these weekly topics is that we can take time and discuss each of these topics and give input. I don't expect that we will agree with everything the author of that information wrote 100%.

I saw your post and commented on it earlier. Since then I have another thought. If we were being told to evacuate, or realized we had no other option, I think a tent would be a good thing to include, if we have space. And with that tent, some kind of stove, be it wood burning stove or something would be good. A small wood burning stove could be used for heat and cooking.

Now, expanding on that, some comfortable cots and camp chairs. Is this all kind of over the top? Yes, but I imagine the possibility of never going home again and that has happened to many people.

I do have a couple tents that I got at garage sales and have never put up. I know I need to because what if they are missing tent poles or stakes or something else important.

I also think that going camping is good practice for evacuating and to help us get our stuff organized.

Last edited:
I don't know if this will help anyone but I just recently bought 2 -55 gallon food grade drums with lids you can attach for extra water storage. We have spring water ( measured the flow rate a few times and in a regular weather summer the flow rate is about 15000 gallons a day but 7 families on it)
It's free but occasionally someone leaves some hydrant open ( and once something broke in the school when nobody was there) and we have no water until the problem is fixed and the tank fills back up. So far the spring has not run out of water.
Either way I researched this a lot and this was by far the cheapest options. I ordered them on Amazon ( free shipping)
We also have a bunch of plastic 30 gallon trash cans we store water in for the animals
Oh, sometimes the water gets dirty also and we use stored water . We do keep regular gallon jugs also , maybe 10 or so.

I think for me this could be month 1, month 2 - instead of weeks. I need to go back through this thread and read it more thoroughly now that canning season has wound down.
I'm not even done with week 1! But I'll keep posting the weeks. I think anyone can start whenever and do what they can as they can. I also think the tasks may not work for all of us in the sequence given. I want to know if anyone is on top of it and keeping up? Probably not and there is not judgement in that. Posting each week keeps this alive and active.

I think I said this before, but if it says to get 3 cans of vegetables a week, what about getting a flat of 12 every 4 weeks? Or at some point get a years worth all at once? Budget, time, organization all factor in this for each of us.

Yes Weedy.... Keep posting through the 52 weeks of the article.. It is an interesting thread.. Like said.. It would be quite the effort to work it to the letter.. Also... If you catch a sale on canned beans for instance, get a flat and skip the next 3 weeks.. Or get another product as price and availability presents.. It has to be flexible to take the maximum advantage of the program.. keep up the good work..

I'm not even done with week 1! But I'll keep posting the weeks. I think anyone can start whenever and do what they can as they can. I also think the tasks may not work for all of us in the sequence given. I want to know if anyone is on top of it and keeping up? Probably not and there is not judgement in that. Posting each week keeps this alive and active.

I think I said this before, but if it says to get 3 cans of vegetables a week, what about getting a flat of 12 every 4 weeks? Or at some point get a years worth all at once? Budget, time, organization all factor in this for each of us.
Yep, that's kinda how I thought as well. I am good on food and don't purchase much in the way of canned goods. I do need to revamp the "go bag" - which means I have the things in the car or at home, but I don't actually have a bag I use which of course would be a good idea. I just don't go shopping for bags. I do need to update my list which I will most likely do next month (still getting the garden dealt with this month).
I too like seeing the weekly list as even if I don't get to it, it's a good reminder!

Yep, that's kinda how I thought as well. I am good on food and don't purchase much in the way of canned goods. I do need to revamp the "go bag" - which means I have the things in the car or at home, but I don't actually have a bag I use which of course would be a good idea. I just don't go shopping for bags. I do need to update my list which I will most likely do next month (still getting the garden dealt with this month).
I too like seeing the weekly list as even if I don't get to it, it's a good reminder!
I find bags often at yard sales or listed in my neighborhood groups. I find free piles by the roadside here and there and have had some great luck there with finding some useful stuff. I am not a shopper, I don't really like to go and wander around in stores. I do like to drive by, roll down my window and look!

Yes Weedy.... Keep posting through the 52 weeks of the article.. It is an interesting thread.. Like said.. It would be quite the effort to work it to the letter.. Also... If you catch a sale on canned beans for instance, get a flat and skip the next 3 weeks.. Or get another product as price and availability presents.. It has to be flexible to take the maximum advantage of the program.. keep up the good work..
Thank you. I agree with watching for sales and getting some of the stuff when it is on sale, but in larger quantities. Sometimes we get new people who want to prep but have NO IDEA where to start. Here it is! I know that money is funny right now, so even buying the weekly suggestions may be difficult for some.

I don't think this is always a good idea, it depends on your family. Some people take this as an invitation to come to your house if SHTF.

Week 6!

WEEK 6
Talking to Your Immediate Family About Prepping

This week, I want you to concentrate your efforts on getting your family to “buy in” to disaster readiness. This is an often-cited problem preppers face—a spouse or other family member who just doesn’t “get it.”

Prepping is hard work, and it’s even harder when you’re fighting against someone who doesn’t think it’s necessary. Harder yet when family members openly ridicule you or otherwise negatively express their opinions on the subject.

So, how can you convince a spouse to get on board? Many people often liken prepping to buying insurance. Let’s face it, insurance policies are one of the only things we ever buy in life and hope we never need to use, right? In fact, we’ll sometimes go to great lengths to not to have to file a claim. Ever been in a fender bender? If the damage is slight, you’d likely gladly pay for the damage out of your own pocket so your insurance company doesn’t raise your rates.

Prepping is sort of like insurance. We set aside food and supplies against what might happen, but hope and pray we never really need to use that stuff in an emergency. The difference between prepping and insurance, though, is we can still use our preps as we feel necessary, without incurring the wrath of an insurance agent. In fact, it’s encouraged that you regularly use and rotate your supplies to keep them fresh.

Another argument you can make, particularly about food storage, is about the ability to eat tomorrow at today’s prices. Have you been to the grocery store lately? Prices sure aren’t coming down on anything, are they? It doesn’t seem all that long ago that I could buy ground beef for about a dollar a pound on sale. Now, I’m lucky if I can find it for three times that price. If I buy a jar of peanut butter for a couple of bucks today and it sits on my shelf until I go to make peanut butter cookies for Christmas and I find out that same jar now costs three dollars at the store, I just saved myself a buck, right?

If the reason behind your spouse’s reticence is less about the possible expense and more about thinking nothing will ever happen that might require the need for preps, you could talk about all the things that have happened recently to folks who thought that same thing. How many people living in Bosnia in the mid-1990s thought their government would collapse? How many folks living in New Orleans worried a major hurricane would hit their area? Who in Japan would have ever even considered the devastation of the tsunami? Or, talk about smaller-scale emergencies like multiple-day power outages in the winter or ice storms that strand you for days at home. Or what about a flu virus brought home by the kids that rampages through the house, keeping everyone home for a week. That last one hit my family once, and let me tell you, it was a whole lot of no fun for all involved.

Remember, too, that all it would take is one emergency close to home and many of those who pooh-poohed prepping will change their tune. When that happens, please be gentle with the “I told you so.”

WEEK 6 ASSIGNMENTS TASKS

Have a heart-to-heart talk with your spouse, significant other, and any other family member who is opposed to prepping. Use some of the suggestions above to get them to understand your point of view.

SAVINGS Add $20 to your Prepper Savings Account.

TOTAL PREPPER SAVINGS ACCOUNT: ________

WATER STORAGE One gallon (or two 2-liter bottles) of water per person or one case of bottled water for the household.

TOTAL WATER STORAGE: GROCERY LIST
3 cans vegetables, your choice
2 cans fruit, your choice, but stick with those packed in water or juice, rather than syrup
1 can chili or stew, your choice
1 package or jar of gravy, your choice
1 box of tea bags, your choice (even if you don’t drink tea, these are great barter items)
1 box granola bars, protein bars, or equivalent
1 lb dry beans, your choice

WEEK COMPLETED Date:_____________

Remember, too, that all it would take is one emergency close to home and many of those who pooh-poohed prepping will change their tune.

IMHO this is the real game changer. So many people have the "it will never happen to me" attitude, until it does. Only then do they realize the importance of prepping. You just hope that the event is painful enough to change the attitude, but not do permanent damage.

Running total for Week Six
I hope this helps for anyone wanting to make less shopping trips, but purchasing more in one trip. It can also help with inventory.
It is possible that there is a mistake or two in this. I tried to edit and correct, but if someone sees an error, please let me know.

Per personWeek 1Week 2
3​
4​
5​
6​
Running total​
Canned Veggies
3​
3​
3​
3​
3​
3​
18​
Canned fruit
2​
2​
2​
2​
2​
2​
12​
Canned Meat
2​
2​
2​
2​
2​
2​
12​
Canned Soup
2​
2​
2​
2​
8​
Canister oatmeal
1​
1​
Treat
1​
1​
gravy packet
1​
1​
1​
3​
Chili or stew
1​
1​
1​
3​
Jar of Peanut butter
1​
1​
Granola bars, box1 box
1​
2 boxes​
Gallon of cooking oil
1​
1​
Jar of jelly
1​
1​
Jar of pasta sauce11
2​
Box or tube salt
1​
1​
Package nuts, dried fruit, trail mix
1​
1​
Baking mix
1​
1​
Ramen noodles (pkg of 12)
1​
1 package of 12​
Rice--1 lb pkg.
1​
1 lb​
Instant coffee-jar
1​
1​
Dry soup packet
1​
1​
Cornmeal, bag
1​
1​
Box of tea bags
1​
1​
1 pound dry beans
1​
1​
Box of Crackers
1​
Pasta, pound
1​
Water, per person½ gallon½ gallon1 gallon1 gallon1 gallon1 gallon
5 gallons​
Cash$20$10$10$20$20$20$100

Today we got an exercise... I've been trying to follow along with this and as a result I had a small stash of about 60 2 liter bottles of water stored in the downstairs. Today, there was a water main break and I have more than ample "extra" water for covering sanitation needs.. I filled each toilet tank plus put 4 bottles at each toilet, I put 4 bottles at every sink for washing, I placed 4 bottles in the fridge(s) for drinking, and I still have plenty backup. I don't think I will have to tap my main water storage (~200 gallon).

Yesterday, the son was here visiting and he told his mom that dad is storing "more" water than anyone would ever need downstairs... Now she can tell him that today we needed it...

Who buys a 1 lb bag of rice....
We went shopping today and I got a 20 lb bag of rice and thought that wasn't very much. I used to buy the 50 lb bags at the asian grocery in Orlando but they don't have any here. This was from walmart. $16 , and that would last 1 person for a long time.

I think the list wouldn't work for the way I cook. Too many cans of things . I think we probably use 5 cans of green beans and peas a YEAR. Don't eat any canned meat except tuna on a regular basis. Have way more pasta and dried beans, those we do eat

We have been stocking up on extra food for 20 years and I have learned stock up on what you actually eat. This is a big one. I probably tossed out $100 or more worth of way out of date cans of things like SPAM and canned potatoes.

Who buys a 1 lb bag of rice....
We went shopping today and I got a 20 lb bag of rice and thought that wasn't very much. I used to buy the 50 lb bags at the asian grocery in Orlando but they don't have any here. This was from walmart. $16 , and that would last 1 person for a long time.

I think the list wouldn't work for the way I cook. Too many cans of things . I think we probably use 5 cans of green beans and peas a YEAR. Don't eat any canned meat except tuna on a regular basis. Have way more pasta and dried beans, those we do eat

We have been stocking up on extra food for 20 years and I have learned stock up on what you actually eat. This is a big one. I probably tossed out $100 or more worth of way out of date cans of things like SPAM and canned potatoes.
We do something similar here, we get 10 or 20# of something and then sub-divide it and seal-a-meal... Pasta I try to keep about 3 dozen boxes on hand at any time, spaghetti, linguine, shells, orzo ..... Dried beans are a big deal here too, if I am shopping for beans I plan on buying at least 20#s.

The big think this exercise has done for me is it has me checking my supplies and their dates (I had some old stuff). This is an opportunity to "freshen up" anything that is 2+ years beyond its "best by" date.....

I have run into problems with sizes when I buy at the big box stores, with just 2 of us in the house it doesn't help getting a 2 gallon jar of mayo or peanut butter..... As we get older and our families shrink, buying smaller jars seems to work better.

Speaking of that, the wife has put baking supplies and cooking oil on the list for today's shopping list...

I buy everything in mass quantities. I am like Sonya. I don't buy much processed food, to the point I am intolerant to it now. Gives me Montezuma's revenge.

I came across a 40 lb bag of non gmo organic cornstarch the other day and snapped it up. That right there, probably puts me in the kook category. I have tons of short grain and basmatti rice but now I am stalked up on sticky rice and bamboo leaves as well.

We have cut back to one good meal a day because we just aren't physically working as hard as on the farm, and mass quantities are no longer needed to keep us fat and sassy.

That pretty much doubled the life expectancy of the pantry as well.

I come from good peasant stock and could probably thrive on even less.

I buy everything in mass quantities. I am like Sonya. I don't buy much processed food, to the point I am intolerant to it now. Gives me Montezuma's revenge.

I came across a 40 lb bag of non gmo organic cornstarch the other day and snapped it up. That right there, probably puts me in the kook category. I have tons of short grain and basmatti rice but now I am stalked up on sticky rice and bamboo leaves as well.

We have cut back to one good meal a day because we just aren't physically working as hard as on the farm, and mass quantities are no longer needed to keep us fat and sassy.

That pretty much doubled the life expectancy of the pantry as well.

I come from good peasant stock and could probably thrive on even less.
I second everything here with one exception.
So the cabana boys use palm leaves to fan you while you are sunbathing 😂 but what are the bamboo leaves for?

Bamboo leaves are used for wrapping Chinese sticky rice. (Those wrapped thingies you get at dim sum restaurants) otherwise known as a Chinese convenience food that is not so convenient to make.

Hallacas, the Venezuelan version are wrapped in banana leaves and are based on corn meal instead of rice; also a pain in the patootie to make and I made the mistake of learning how to do both.

Bamboo leaves are used for wrapping Chinese sticky rice. (Those wrapped thingies you get at dim sum restaurants) otherwise known as a Chinese convenience food that is not so convenient to make.

Hallacas, the Venezuelan version are wrapped in banana leaves and are based on corn meal instead of rice; also a pain in the patootie to make and I made the mistake of learning how to do both.
Learn something new everyday 🤪

This is similar to Puerto Rican pasteles, wrapped in banana leaves. When I was going to school in Washington, D.C., I couldn't find tortillas or corn chips, but there were plenty of banana leaves to be found.

Glutinous rice wrapped in bamboo leaves recipe:

Pasteles:

Is that sort of like Korean triangle rice thingies? They have seaweed wrapped around it , sort of like inside out sushi roll

We did more shopping yesterday , spent almost $100 at the Asian store ( I go there like twice a year since it is out of our way) stocked up on seasonings soy sauce, rice noodles, tea
And went to Aldi mostly for fresh stuff. I like their fruits and veggies better than walmarts, meat too. I got some pork loin and ground pork . We really do need to get some pigs again

Is that sort of like Korean triangle rice thingies? They have seaweed wrapped around it , sort of like inside out sushi roll

We did more shopping yesterday , spent almost $100 at the Asian store ( I go there like twice a year since it is out of our way) stocked up on seasonings soy sauce, rice noodles, tea
And went to Aldi mostly for fresh stuff. I like their fruits and veggies better than walmarts, meat too. I got some pork loin and ground pork . We really do need to get some pigs again
I was at H Mart last week and the price of rice is really up.

Our local hutterite farm raises pigs which I didn't know about till I noticed someone buyuing a nice looking dressed feeder pig out of the back of a van. Probably can't get one till next fall but then I ran into a small time rancher who has two cows ready to slaughter so I put my name in for 1/2 a beef. Picked up another deep freezer this summer and have a freeze dryer to keep busy.

The original link is no longer working. It is a really good thing that I downloaded it!

WEEK 7

Bringing in Extra Income

As you’ll no doubt realize, if you haven’t already, prepping takes money. There’s just no way around it. Even if your family lives on a homestead, growing or raising all your own food, you had to somehow purchase that land, the seeds, and the livestock at the beginning.

Most of us weren’t raised in a household that included maids, chauffeurs, and gardeners. In fact, I’d be willing to bet that the vast majority of you reading this book grew up and likely still live today paycheck to paycheck, making do with what you have or doing without. So it’s safe to say that coming up with extra funds for prepping is going to be difficult.

There are, however, several things you can do to bring in some extra income that you can then devote to prepping.

If you have talent with the written word, there’s a fair amount of money to be made by selling articles to magazines. While it certainly isn’t for the thin-skinned, since at first, rejections will likely be more common than paychecks, freelance writing can be rather lucrative. Head down to your local library and pick up the most recent copy you can find of Writer’s Market. This is the bible for freelance writers. In it, you’ll find hundreds and hundreds of magazines that are looking to purchase freelance articles. The information listed for each entry is, with few exceptions, provided directly by the publication’s editors. Each listing will include the topics they want to address as well as payment rates and submission guidelines. Be sure to take your research a step further and track down the relevant website for each publication of interest so you can access the most current information. While the pay ranges widely with freelance writing, rates of $1/word are not all that uncommon.

Those who possess green thumbs can make some extra money selling seeds, seedlings, perhaps even produce when in season. You could do this in one of two ways, either setting up a roadside stand near your home or renting space at a local flea market. Whichever way you want to go, be sure to check with City Hall to ensure that you won’t need any special permits or licenses.

Speaking of flea markets, if you’re the crafty sort, you could look into selling products that you’ve made yourself. In my area, there are dozens of craft fairs and flea markets every year, mostly during the summer season. Be sure to charge a fair price for your effort—charging too little is just as bad as charging too much.

If you have preteen or teenage children, put them to work mowing lawns in the summer or shoveling snow in the winter. The children should, of course, be entitled to at least half the money they earn. But if they charge, say, $20 to shovel a driveway, and they can line up ten customers a snowfall, that’s still $100 for the prepping budget.

Newspaper delivery is still an option in many areas. While the work hours aren’t ideal (very early mornings), for some that might be a perfect solution.

If you have a particular skill with repairing things like small engines or electronics, ask your friends to spread the word. Doing good work for a fair price will give you a leg up on much of your competition.

As more and more homes and apartments are being vacated in the middle of the night by residents who can no longer afford the rent or mortgage, banks and landlords are often looking for people to clean up the properties. As a bonus, they sometimes let you keep abandoned belongings. I know a couple of people who do steady business with this sort of work. 32

Of course, there’s always the possibility of finding a “real” part-time job. Fast food restaurants are almost always seeking new people. Retailers are also usually hiring. The hours may vary widely, and preference is often given to those employees who are available around the clock. But, in retail at least, you aren’t dealing with loud machinery, filthy working conditions, or backbreaking hard labor.

With all that in mind, there are a few types of work I suggest avoiding, or at least not accepting without some serious thought. The classified section of the newspaper will likely list any number of “work from home” advertisements. With rare exception, these are scams of some sort or another. Many of them involve you investing a certain amount of money into the program before you can earn anything, which is a big red flag. You’re looking to earn money, not find somewhere else to spend it.

Same thing goes for many of the various and sundry home sales businesses that are so popular. I won’t list them all here, but if the job entails you having a “party” to sell things, avoid signing up. Yes, there are many people who have made a ton of money with these businesses. These people are the exception, not the rule. Many of these businesses are nothing more than legal pyramid schemes, where the only people making serious money are those making it off the backs of everyone beneath them.

I’m also reluctant to suggest exploring child care as a way to bring in extra money. First, many locales today require special licensing to have any sort of day-care business. Second, if you’re desperate enough to bring a troop of children into your home every day to make a couple of extra bucks, odds are you’d be doing it already,

WEEK 7
ASSIGNMENTS TASKS
Assuming that you’re not a recent lottery winner and thus able to afford any prepping purchases that come to mind, look into ways that you or other family members might be able to bring in some extra income.
Use the suggestions above as a start, then brainstorm with family and friends for additional ideas.

SAVINGS Add $15 to your Prepper Savings Account.
TOTAL PREPPER SAVINGS ACCOUNT:

WATER STORAGE
One gallon (or two 2-liter bottles) per person or a case of bottled water for the household.
TOTAL WATER STORAGE:

GROCERY LIST
3 cans vegetables, your choice
2 cans fruit, your choice, but stick with those packed in water or juice, rather than syrup
2 cans meat (tuna, chicken, beef), your choice
2 cans soup, not condensed (they require water)
1 box of crackers, your choice
1 jar of pasta sauce, your choice
1 lb pasta, your choice

WEEK COMPLETED Date:____________

I came across a 40 lb bag of non gmo organic cornstarch the other day and snapped it up.
I buy things in quantity. I am not sure what I would use that much cornstarch for in my whole life, except maybe in gluten free flour. I usually use it as a thickener in gravy, and gravy is not something that I make much of these days.
How do you use cornstarch?

Week 7 Running Total​
Per person​
Week 1​
Week 2​
Week 3​
Week 4​
Week 5​
Week 6​
Week 7​
Running total​
Canned Veggies​