Countdown to Preparedness, week by week planning and preparing

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WEEK 28 ASSIGNMENTS

TASKS
1. Go through your home and practice implementing improvised weapons you find throughout. It’s important to practice using these weapons so you’re familiar with their weight and how they “work.”
2. If you come across any rooms where you cannot easily find any improvised weapons, position items accordingly. Lean a baseball bat in the corner, find a nice-looking vase to put on an end table. Ideally, no matter what room you’re in, you should have something you could use as a weapon within easy reach.

SAVINGS
Add $15 to your Prepper Savings Account.
TOTAL PREPPER SAVINGS ACCOUNT: _____ (Suggested total amount to now, $380)

WATER STORAGE
One gallon (or two 2-liter bottles) per person or a case of bottled water for the household. TOTAL WATER STORAGE: _____ (Suggested total amount to now, 28 gallons per person)

GROCERY LIST
3 cans vegetables, your choice
2 cans fruit, your choice, but stick with those packed in water or juice, rather than syrup
2 cans meat (tuna, chicken, beef), your choice
2 cans soup, not condensed (they require water)
1 box crackers, your choice
1 jar pasta sauce, your choice
1 lb pasta, your choice

WEEK COMPLETED Date:____________

Last edited:
WEEK 29
Ham Radio

Ham radio operators are a key component in survival communications. Quite often, they may be the only source of information during a disaster. Most ham operators are networked in with emergency responders and assist with communicating information between agencies and such.

Before we go any further, let’s talk briefly about licensing. It’s required by law that you have a license before you can broadcast on ham frequencies. There’s an argument that says that during and after a catastrophe, enforcement officers won’t be looking for unlicensed radio operators. While that may be true, proficiency with ham radio isn’t something you can really pick up on-the-fly. You need practice to truly understand how it all works and how to get the best use of your equipment. That practice entails actually using your gear, which requires the license.

And there’s another consideration. While most ham operators are exceedingly generous with their time and experience when it comes to helping someone new, they have little regard for unlicensed operators. Ham operators may be your single best link to reliable information during a major event, and you don’t want to get on their bad side by broadcasting without a proper license.

Getting your license costs very little and just requires you to pass a test. There are tons of books and websites to help you study for the test. It used to be that one of the requirements was to memorize Morse code, but that’s no longer necessary.

OK, back to ham radios.

Shortwave consists of the radio frequencies between 1.8 and 30 MHz. This includes AM and FM voice transmissions as well as single side band (SSB), data, television, and several others, even including transmissions from other countries. Ham radio is another one of these subsets of shortwave. Think of it like this—shortwave radios allow you to gather information, whereas ham radios allow you to engage in two-way communication with other operators.

A ham setup, sometimes called a rig, consists of a receiver and a transmitter, which are sometimes all one unit called a transceiver. Ideally, this rig should be somewhat mobile, with the ability to power it using 12-volt DC, so it can be installed in a vehicle, and/or with a solar charge system. This way, you can take it with you should you need to vacate your home for some reason.

There are many inexpensive transceivers available, such as those sold under the BaoFeng brand. Configured properly, these will meet your basic needs. For a basic transceiver, you could pay as little as fifty bucks and be in business. Of course, the sky is the limit. You may find yourself with an exciting new hobby and end up investing thousands of dollars in high-end gear.

Given the high number of clubs in the country, a quick online search should find a ham operator group in your immediate area. Find out when and where they meet, then go there and introduce yourself. These are the folks you want to get to know well. Odds are very good they have their own repeater system in place. Basically, the way ham radio works is you transmit on a frequency, and this transmission will go to a repeater. This tower then sends the transmission on down the line, hitting other repeaters as needed, until it reaches the destination.

Ham radio is not as complicated as it seems. It doesn’t take long for the average person to get the hang of things. But, as with anything else, it’s better to learn the lessons now, when time isn’t a factor.

WEEK 29 ASSIGNMENTS

TASKS
1. Find a local ham radio club in your area. Search “[county name] ham radio” online and that should point you in the right direction. Contact the club and explain you’re interested in getting involved with ham radio. I think you’ll find members who will bend over backward to help you.
2. Begin shopping around for a starter rig. Ask members of your local club for recommendations. 3. Look for study materials online, and study for and pass the license exam (no, I don’t expect you to do that all in one week, but get it done ASAP).

SAVINGS
Add $10 to your Prepper Savings Account.
TOTAL PREPPER SAVINGS ACCOUNT: ______ (Suggested total amount to now, $390)

WATER STORAGE
One gallon (or two 2-liter bottles) per person or a case of bottled water for the household. TOTAL WATER STORAGE: _____ (Suggested total amount to now, 29 gallons per person)

GROCERY LIST
2 cans fruit, your choice, but stick with those packed in water or juice, rather than syrup
1 can chili or stew, your choice
1 package or jar gravy mix, your choice
1 box powdered milk
1 box (12 packages) ramen noodles
1 lb white rice

Last edited:
WEEK 30
Safety Equipment

The emergencies for which we prepare aren’t always of the total societal collapse variety. Even if a disaster isn’t global, or even regional, it can still be the “end of the world as you know it.”

Imagine losing your entire home to a fire.

Or a member of your family dying from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Or the loss of your household’s income because the primary wage earner was severely injured in an accident at home.

These things might not even affect your next-door neighbor, but would be no less of a disaster for you and your family.

It’s important to take the steps necessary to protect your family from relatively common emergencies. For starters, each level of your home should be outfitted with smoke detectors. They should be in good working order and tested every six months. Place one near the bedrooms so you’ll be sure to hear it in the middle of the night.

While we’re on the subject of fires, have you devised and practiced an evacuation plan? Each member of your family should know exactly what to do in the event of a fire. How should they leave the home and where do they go?

Have a good-quality fire extinguisher in the kitchen, which is where many home fires start. It’s important to know how to use one properly, so get in touch with your local fire department for guidance. They may offer to show you with a hands-on demonstration.

Each bedroom should have at least one working flashlight. This can be difficult to accomplish when you have smaller children, who will look at it as a toy. Do the best you can to stress to them the importance of having a working flashlight in case of emergencies. Each bedroom should also have a small air horn. If someone’s trapped in the room, the sound of that horn will be much louder than just a shout.

Carbon monoxide detectors are critical. Position them near your furnace and any other potential sources of CO coming into your home.

When you’re working on projects, be sure to wear the proper safety gear. I’m one of those people who hates wearing ear plugs and safety glasses. But I do recognize the need for them and do give in from time to time when my wife badgers me. Heavy-duty work gloves should be worn to handle brush and other debris to avoid splinters, punctures, and other not-so-fun injuries.

If you don’t have any, consider buying a pair of steel-toed work boots for at least the adults in the family. You can sometimes find them used at thrift stores. I wear mine all the time when working in the garage or around the house.

Masks should be worn any time you’re dealing with dust and airborne debris as well as fumes. N95 masks are ideal, and they’re also useful to prevent germs from entering your body through the nose or mouth. Consider adding a few to each bedroom to help with smoke inhalation if there’s a house fire.

When using ladders, be careful to not overextend your reach. Ensure the ladder is on a solid, level surface. If at all possible, have a spotter in case you do fall. That person won’t necessarily catch you, but he or she can get help if needed.

Read all instructions for any power tools and be sure you totally understand how they’re properly used. Rushing a job is just asking for trouble.

WEEK 30 ASSIGNMENTS

TASKS
1. Test all smoke and CO detectors. Replace batteries as needed.
2. If you don’t have them already, invest in a few good-quality fire extinguishers.
3. Start stocking up on and using the other safety gear mentioned above. Remember, the best gear in the world won’t help you if you don’t use it.

SAVINGS
TOTAL PREPPER SAVINGS ACCOUNT: _____ (Suggested total amount to now, $400)

WATER STORAGE
One gallon (or two 2-liter bottles) per person or a case of bottled water for the household. TOTAL WATER STORAGE: ______ (Suggested total amount to now, 30 gallons per person)

GROCERY LIST
1 treat, such as a bag of candy, box of chocolate bars, or canister of hot cocoa mix (the type that mixes with water, not milk)
1 lb dry beans, your choice

Last edited:
WEEK 31
Blades for Survival

They say that the best survival knife is the one you have with you at the time. While that’s certainly true, I like to improve my odds by including a few different blades in my main kits.

A good-quality knife is probably the number one most important tool in a survival kit. With it, you can make just about anything you need. Without it, you’re behind the proverbial eight ball. Sure, you can probably make do in a pinch, but having a good knife makes things so much easier.

In a true survival situation away from home, there are three types of blades to consider.

The first is a small pocketknife. With a blade length of three inches or so, it’s small enough to handle more intricate work. And keeping it in your pocket ensures that you have it with you at all times.

The second is a good-quality sheath knife. This one will serve as your primary tool with most chores that require a blade. This knife will typically have a blade length of about five inches or so. You’ll use it to dress game, build shelters, cut firewood, and other such tasks.

The third is a machete-type blade. While your sheath knife can do much of what a machete will, the longer and heavier blade will work better on clearing brush as well as serve as a defense weapon if needed.

You could combine the latter two categories and carry a larger sheath knife. I bounce back and forth with that option. There are several caveats about using a larger sheath knife.
1. It can be awkward for some tasks. You might find the larger sheath knife just too big and the pocketknife too small for some things.
2. Using your sheath knife to clear brush will dull the blade quicker. If it isn’t high-quality, you could end up damaging the blade with nicks and such.

For my primary blades, here’s what I carry in my kit.

A Victorinox Swiss Army Tinker. I’ve had this pocketknife for going on thirty years now, and it’s stood up to everything I’ve thrown at it.

My current sheath knife is a Becker BK9 Combat Bowie. It is, simply put, a beast of a knife. While I only recently got it, I’m confident it’ll handle everything and anything I ask of it. It arrived hair-shaving sharp and has required only minor touch-ups since. The sheath is a nylon/Kydex mix. I’m working on attaching a separate small survival kit right to the sheath. It’s a big knife, yes, but probably the highest-quality blade I’ve ever owned.

If I want to carry a smaller sheath knife for some reason, I’ll grab my TOPS B.O.B. (Brothers of Bushcraft) knife. Very well made, sturdy, and comfortable to use, it’s smaller than the Becker, but can get almost any job done.

I carry the Cold Steel Kukri for my machete. Honestly, you can’t go wrong with Cold Steel products. I had originally bought one for my father-in-law a couple of years ago and was so impressed with it that I got one for myself. It has a good weight to it, not so heavy that it wears you out but plenty of heft to get the job done.

Over the years, I’ve owned many knives. Some were all but worthless, and others I carried for a long time. My Becker replaced a Tak Fukuta benchmade bowie that I’d carried as my sheath knife for well over twenty years. The main reason I switched was that the Becker will withstand a bit more abuse than the Fukuta.

When choosing a knife, you should look for a few things. First, for a pocketknife, you want a knife with a solid pivot when you open and close it. The knife should snap open and snap closed. While I’ll admit my Swiss Army knife lacks these features, I recommend getting something with both a locking blade and the ability to be opened one-handed.

For the sheath knife, get something with a full tang, nothing less. The tang is the part of the blade that goes into the handle. A full tang means the blade is one solid piece of metal all the way through to the bottom of the handle. Notice that this precludes the use of the popular hollow handle survival knives. There’s a reason for that—with rare exception those “survival knives” are crap.

You want good-quality, high-carbon steel. I’m not overly fond of serrated or half-serrated blades. While I recognize their usefulness, I question how you’ll be able to sharpen it in the field. Remember, you want your knife sharp at all times. A dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one, as you’ll need to apply more pressure to a cut, which increases the chances of a slip.

The handle should not be completely smooth but should have some texture to it. This helps you hang on to it when it gets wet. Remember, too, that you’ll be using this knife a lot in the field, and it should be comfortable in your hand.

The sheath should be protective of the blade and be comfortable to wear for extended periods.

There’s no need to go out and spend hundreds of dollars on a single knife, but this isn’t a place to cheap out on one either. I know a few people who just buy cheap and toss the knife when it breaks or gives out. If I’m going to bet my life on a piece of gear, I want it to hold up.

WEEK 31 ASSIGNMENTS

TASKS
1. Begin shopping around for a pocketknife and sheath knife. Purchase them as your budget allows, but don’t linger too long on this. Remember, a good blade is the most important tool in your survival kit. If need be, pick up something inexpensive but sturdy, and upgrade later as finances allow.
2. Don’t forget to pick up sharpening implements and learn how to use them properly to maintain the edge on your blades.

SAVINGS
TOTAL PREPPER SAVINGS ACCOUNT: (Suggested total amount to now, $415)

WATER STORAGE
One gallon (or two 2-liter bottles) per person or a case of bottled water for the household. TOTAL WATER STORAGE: (Suggested total amount to now, 31 gallons per person)

GROCERY LIST
1 package or jar of gravy, your choice
1 canister of flavored drink mix, the type that has the sugar already added
1 package dry soup
1 lb pasta, your choice

Last edited:
WEEK 32
Finding and Storing Firewood

The best time to accumulate supplies is before you need them, and firewood is no exception.

There’s something about a roaring fire, isn’t there? Given the choice, I’d much rather watch a campfire or fireplace than what passes for television these days. A controlled fire will keep you warm, cook your food, and dry you out, and it’s just overall comforting. Coming in from the winter cold to a crackling fire . . . well, like the old beer commercial used to say, “It just doesn’t get any better than that.”

It can take a fair amount of work to be able to rely strictly on wood fire for heat and cooking. First, of course, you have to acquire the firewood. Then you may have to cut it to size, split it, and stack it to dry. It can take up to a full year before freshly cut firewood is properly seasoned and ready to use, so you need to plan far ahead. Depending on the size of the building that you’re heating, you could easily go through several full cords of firewood in an average winter. A cord of wood is 128 cubic feet, usually arranged in a stack four feet deep, four feet high, and eight feet long. A face cord is usually a stack four feet high by eight feet long.

When stacking firewood, you should allow for some degree of air flow above, below, and around the cord. Doing so allows the wood to dry fully, which results in a cleaner burn. Prior to stacking, it should be cut and split to accommodate the size of the fireplace or wood stove. Splitting the logs also provides for better drying. Don’t keep these large stacks next to your house. They tend to become havens for all sorts of bugs, especially carpenter ants and termites. Keep them well away from your home and bring in only as much wood as you’ll need for a couple of days at a time.

The ideal for storing firewood is often a three-sided woodshed. But if that’s not an option for you, stack the wood as best you can. While there are many different types of log racks commercially available, we’ve found using a few metal fence posts pounded into the ground on each end of the stack works just fine. However you stack it, at the minimum loosely cover your firewood with a tarp to keep rain and snow out. Remember, you want some air flow, so don’t wrap the stack like you’re wrapping Tyvek around a home. What I’ve done with a degree of success is to stack the firewood on scavenged pallets, with buckets of kindling on either end. Then I lay a tarp along the top of the stack, draping it down to cover the buckets at the ends. The fence posts keep the tarp up off the wood a bit, allowing for that important air flow. Take the ends of the tarp and fold them toward one another, securing them together with rope or bungee cords.

The tools required to cut and split firewood can be as simple as a handsaw, an axe, and a wedge. I can tell you from experience the job is much easier with a log splitter and a chain saw. Since splitters are often costly, you might consider renting one for the time being. If you have family or neighbors who would also benefit from a splitter, see if you can split the cost of purchasing one new or secondhand. Even if you have a splitter, you’ll still need a good, sharp axe, a maul, protective eyeglasses and gloves, as well as a saw and a pair of loppers to take off smaller branches.

Chain saws can be found fairly cheap secondhand, if you keep your eyes open at rummage sales and the like. Familiarize yourself with the basic operations of a chain saw so you know what to look for when buying a used one. You don’t want to end up just buying someone else’s problem. If you can at all afford it, you’re often better off buying a good-quality chain saw new. Invest in a sharpening kit as well as extra chains and bars. Avoid the electric saws, which usually aren’t worth the price of admission. Always use proper ear protection when using a chain saw. Maintained properly, a good chain saw will last many years.

Cut and split the firewood as close as possible to where you’ll be storing it. I realize this sounds like common sense, but I’ve seen countless examples of people splitting the logs on their driveway, then hauling them out to the back of their lot. That’s just making the job twice as much work, if you ask me.

Quite often, you’ll have bark strip off the logs as you split them. I tend to keep a few buckets of these bark scraps for kindling. Same thing goes for some of the smaller branches. You can find suitable buckets for this purpose at your local dollar store.

When you’re concentrating on obtaining firewood frugally, you often don’t have a choice about the type of wood you receive. While hardwoods such as oak make for the warmest and longest-lasting fire, it’s rare to find such great wood for free or cheap. Instead, you’ll likely end up with softwoods like pine. The problem with cheap wood like that is the creosote that builds up in your chimney. Creosote buildup is a very real danger and needs to be combated. You could sweep your chimney yourself, provided you have the equipment and the means to safely get up on your roof to do the job. You may find it a better option to pay a professional a couple hundred bucks every fall to get the job done right, with no risk to your own neck. However it gets done, it does need to be done every year.

Good-quality hardwoods to be considered for firewood include oak, ash, and walnut. All give off good heat and are relatively easy to split. Suitable softwoods would be yellow pine, cypress, and Douglas fir. But again, part of the deal with free or cheap wood is that you have to deal with what’s available. Beggars can’t be choosers and all that.

So where can you find firewood on the cheap? First, pay attention to your neighborhood. If you notice someone is having trees removed or severely trimmed, ask the owners if they plan to keep the wood. If not, quite often they’ll let you have it in exchange for removing it from the property. If that’s the case, be sure you leave the area in better condition than when you arrived. Avoid wheel ruts in the ground and clean up after yourself. Not only is it the right thing to do, but if the owner is having more trees taken down in the future, you’ll have a leg up on anyone else who stops by asking about the wood.

Be sure to scout your area after a severe storm. If a home owner has had trees come down, he or she will be more than happy for you to remove them in exchange for keeping the wood. But I would avoid making this offer if the tree is sitting against the house or has taken down power lines, just for safety’s sake.

If you live in an area that has municipal or county street departments, give them a call and find out what they’re doing with trees they take down. While brush surely gets mulched, the larger limbs and trunks have to go somewhere. In many areas, you can buy this wood for a nominal fee, provided you can transport it yourself. Again, odds are this isn’t going to be premium-grade hardwood, but you can’t beat the price.

Watch for construction sites in your area. Once you see the framing start to go up, get in touch with the site foreman. Ask if you might be able to get some of the cutoffs. Usually, as they cut the framing to length, the scraps just go in a bin. Find out if it’s possible for you to get a load or two of those scraps. It’ll likely be pine two-by-four remnants for the most part. You might even be able to strike a deal with one or two of the workers to have them drop a pickup truck load to your home for a twelve-pack of beer. It never hurts to ask, since the worst that can happen is they’ll say no. Some of these scraps may have to be cut to the proper length to fit into your wood stove, but that’s just an hour or two of work with a chop saw.

If you have local businesses that make custom cabinetry and that sort of thing, hit them up as well. The scraps might be smaller in size, but they’ll burn just as well. Be careful, though, to avoid any scraps that look like they’ve been painted or stained. Burning those may give off harmful chemicals.

I know a few people who have regular access to junked wood pallets. I hesitate to recommend this way to obtain firewood, as one can never be certain what chemicals may have leached into the wood during the pallet’s use.

Whatever the source, you’re far better off to start collecting firewood and places to get more now, rather than in the dead of winter.

WEEK 32 ASSIGNMENTS

TASKS
1. Begin gathering firewood, using the sources listed above and any others you can develop on your own. Don’t try to get it all at once, unless you stumble into an incredible deal. A little at a time, and it won’t take long to accumulate a large supply. Remember, freshly cut wood needs to dry for several months before use.
2. If you don’t have them already, begin hunting around for deals on axes, mauls, wedges, and other tools to cut firewood.

SAVINGS
TOTAL PREPPER SAVINGS ACCOUNT: (Suggested total amount to now, $425)

WATER STORAGE
One gallon (or two 2-liter bottles) per person or a case of bottled water for the household. TOTAL WATER STORAGE: (Suggested total amount to now, 32 gallons per person)

GROCERY LIST
1 canister oatmeal or 1 box of flavored instant oatmeal packets
1 box granola bars, protein bars, or equivalent
1 sack (5 lbs) flour
1 lb white rice

Last edited:
WEEK 33
Planning to Bug Out When Away from Home

By now, you should certainly have put together your get home bag. It’s time to make plans for when you may have to use it. Disasters can strike anywhere and at any time, and you could end up having to make your way home or to another safe location unexpectedly.

Sit down and give some thought to your regular travel schedule. Most of us go to work at least daily. Where else do you travel during an average week or month? Shopping trips? Doctor appointments? Do you routinely visit relatives out of town?

Make a list of all the out-of-town places you go regularly. Then, for each one of them, plan out multiple routes to get back home. Consider that you may be on foot during part or all of your journey, depending on the nature of the disaster. Pay close attention to bridges and other potential obstacles. You may want to plan routes that take you around cities and towns, rather than going straight through. While direct routes will be quicker, it may be beneficial to avoid large groups of people.

Once you have your routes planned, test them out. Get to know each of those different routes intimately. If possible, travel them at different times of the day and night. Landmarks can look very different at midnight than they do at noon.

Consider how long it would realistically take for you to make those journeys on foot. The average person can probably walk no more than two or three miles an hour. If you’re in decent physical shape, you’ll do better than that. But remember, you’ll be loaded down with your emergency kit. The hope, though, is that you’ll be able to use your vehicle for most if not all of your journey.

If realistic planning dictates that you’ll probably have to spend at least one night “roughing it” on your way home, scope out likely places to hole up. Look for reasonably safe places to rest up for a few hours before continuing on, such as parks. You may not have the luxury of being able to secure a motel room for a night.

Look for locations where you can resupply on your trek, particularly where you can find water, from rivers, streams, lakes, and other natural sources. Be sure your emergency kit has several ways to filter and purify water.

WEEK 33 ASSIGNMENTS

TASKS
1. Plan multiple bug out routes from all your normal travel destinations, including your place of employment. Ideally you’ll have at least three routes from each location.
2. Begin traveling those alternative routes regularly. Pay attention to how the routes look at different times of day and in different seasons.
3. Inspect your get home bags and rotate or replace items as necessary.

SAVINGS
TOTAL PREPPER SAVINGS ACCOUNT: (Suggested total amount to now, $440)

WATER STORAGE
One gallon (or two 2-liter bottles) per person or a case of bottled water for the household. TOTAL WATER STORAGE: (Suggested total amount to now, 33 gallons per person)

GROCERY LIST
1 jar peanut butter (if allergies are present, substitute an allergen-free version, such as SunButter)
1 sack (4 lbs) sugar
1 lb pasta, your choice

Last edited:
WEEK 34
Planning to Regroup

Think about how much time each member of your family spends outside the home. Work, school, socializing— often it seems that the only time we’re at home as a family is when we’re all sleeping, if even then. So the odds of disaster striking when one or more family members are out and about is much greater than it happening when everyone is all in one place.

This can lead to a tense and anxiety-filled situation. The thought of not knowing where your loved ones are, whether they’re OK, will be extremely nerve-racking. Can they get home from where they are? What if you need to evacuate the home? Do they know where to find you?

During a typical day, I’m working about thirty miles from home. I have children attending two different schools. My wife is usually home but could be grocery shopping, taking the dogs to the vet, or otherwise just be out. If something major happened, we could all be going in different directions.

Sit down and make plans now.

First, determine who will pick up the kids from school. Make sure this is communicated clearly to every member of the family. You might also consider having a note placed in your child’s school file indicating that in the event of an emergency, you will pick up the child at school, and he or she should not be placed on the bus home. If your child is old enough to be driving himself or herself to school, talk to him or her about the importance of coming straight home in an emergency, rather than going out sightseeing.

Next, decide on a rallying point away from home. This is to be used in the event that you can’t get to your home for some reason. Pick a specific location that every member of your family will know how to get to, such as a local restaurant or a relative’s home on the other side of town. The first destination would be to come home, of course. The rallying point is only if home can’t be reached.

Third, pick a relative or friend who lives outside the area to act as a communication hub. Each member of the family should be instructed to call this person to fill him or her in on each person’s location and status. Sometimes local phone systems get overwhelmed and calls won’t go through, but by having a contact out of the area, you can still have a way to at least relay messages. Make sure you volunteer yourself to do the same for that person.

Another thing to keep in mind is that even if phone lines and cell towers are being swamped, text messages will often still get through. E-mail is another option, given the advent of smart phones and Wi-Fi for laptops.

If you have a trusted neighbor who is normally home when everyone in your family is gone for the day, perhaps ask him or her to keep an eye on the house and let you know when family members are home safe.

Knowing who is supposed to do what will go a long way toward lessening panic and anxiety. Granted, parents will always worry until their child is safe in their arms. The idea here, though, is to make plans and communicate them to everyone involved, making sure each person knows exactly what he or she is supposed to do.

WEEK 34 ASSIGNMENTS

TASKS
1. Draw up your plans for regrouping in an emergency. Talk about them in detail with everyone involved so there are no misunderstandings or miscommunications.
2. If you have children in school, talk to school officials about their emergency plans. What are teachers and students expected to do during a disaster? What’s the procedure for picking up your children during or immediately after a crisis?

SAVINGS
TOTAL PREPPER SAVINGS ACCOUNT: (Suggested total amount to now, $450)

WATER STORAGE
One gallon (or two 2-liter bottles) per person or a case of bottled water for the household. TOTAL WATER STORAGE: (Suggested total amount to now, 34 gallons per person)

GROCERY LIST
1 jar jelly or fruit preserves
1 box instant potatoes
1 lb white rice

Last edited:
WEEK 35
Nonfood Pantry Items

Along with the basic requirements like food, water, and medicine, there are various items that aren’t crucial to survival but will make life easier during a crisis.

Paper plates, cups, and bowls: Odds are good that you’ll need to ration your water consumption. Not washing dishes every day will help save water. When meals are finished, the paper plates and such can be burned in your fireplace or wood stove. For that reason, I’d avoid the thicker foam-type items and stick to paper goods. While you could burn plastic utensils, it doesn’t take much water at all to wash them. You could probably wash an entire meal’s worth of utensils with not much more than a cup of water. Of course, this is something more for short-term emergencies like an extended power outage. I’m not advising you to stock up on enough paper plates to last a year or more. Be sure to watch for sales on these items, as their regular price is often ridiculously expensive. The best sale price I’ve been able to find is ninety-nine cents for a pack of seventy-two paper plates. See if you can do better.

Paper towels: The same water conservation principle applies here. While I prefer to use a cloth towel for most things, and save a tree here and there, in an extended emergency you don’t want piles of soiled dish towels lying around for days on end. Again, the used paper towels can be burned.

Toilet paper: Need I say more? There are many alternatives you can use in a pinch, but let’s face it, most of ’em stink. Strive for at least a full month’s worth of toilet paper on hand at all times.

Cleaning products: While most homes have at least a small supply of these items, it isn’t a bad idea to set aside a stash, just in case. If the emergency is such that you and your family are confined to your home for several days, keeping things clean will not only be a morale boost but help reduce the possibility of spreading germs. There’s no need to go out and buy a couple of cases of Windex to set on the floor of your pantry, though. In fact, a bottle of vinegar will go a long way toward killing germs.

Hand sanitizer: If the water isn’t running from the taps, place a bottle of this in or near the bathroom to allow you and your family to wash up after using the facilities. Baby wipes: A cleaner you is a happier you. In the absence of baths or showers, these wipes can at least get a layer of grime off. They’ll work for toilet paper as well.

Diapers, diaper cream, wipes, crib bedding: If you have a baby in the family or are expecting one soon, stock up on extras of these sorts of items and set them aside for when they may be needed. Be sure to rotate out the diapers as the child grows and replace them with the larger sizes.

Garbage bags: These have many uses, from makeshift rain ponchos to toilet liners. Try to have at least an extra box or two on hand.

As always, watch the sale ads and pick up extras of these items when the price is right. Don’t feel you need to buy them all at once, unless you just won the lottery and have a pocketful of cash you’re looking to burn.

WEEK 35 ASSIGNMENTS

TASKS
1. Add these nonfood pantry items to your perpetual shopping list and pick them up as you can. Set them aside for when you’ll need them. Most of these items don’t have expiration dates and will keep for a long time if stored in a cool, dry place.
2. If you haven’t done so recently, head to your local library and find a book or two on the subject of wilderness survival skills. Choose one or two of those skills and practice them.

SAVINGS
TOTAL PREPPER SAVINGS ACCOUNT: (Suggested total amount to now, $465)

WATER STORAGE
One gallon (or two 2-liter bottles) per person or a case of bottled water for the household. TOTAL WATER STORAGE: (Suggested total amount to now, 35 gallons per person)

GROCERY LIST
1 box baking mix, preferably the type that doesn’t require eggs, milk, or other ingredients
1 package dry soup
1 bottle multivitamins

Last edited:
WEEK 36
Crank Radios and Police Scanners

Communication is vital for overall preparedness. First, you need a way to receive news from the world around you. Second, you need to be able to communicate with your family and retreat group. This week, we concentrate on the first element and tackle the second one later.

We live in a time of instant communication. We routinely receive news from around the world in little more than a heartbeat. Thirty years ago, if I wanted to send a message to a friend in the UK, my choices were a very expensive phone call or a letter that could take a week or more to arrive. Today, I can send an e-mail and receive a response in a matter of minutes. I can also log in to a chat room and enjoy instantaneous communication.

We tend to take such things for granted. In these uncertain times, that instant communication could come to a screeching halt for any number of reasons. We may not have the Internet to provide us with news from around the country or even in our own towns. We may not even have local TV broadcasts.

Fortunately, there are some options available to us. First, invest in a decent-quality crank radio. These types of portable radios can be powered by simply turning a crank for a few minutes. Often, they come with lights, sirens, and other doodads. The critical thing is the radio. Make sure the one you get can receive AM/FM as well as shortwave and NOAA weather broadcasts. Play around with it for a while so you fully understand how to tune in stations of interest to you. Even in the most dire recent disasters, there were radio broadcasts to listen to for up-to-date information. These vital pieces of equipment have come down in price and can be found at most retailers, such as Walmart and Target.

Another piece of equipment that’s handy is a police scanner. They’re a bit pricier than the crank radios, but you can sometimes find them used if you hunt around. You’ll need to program the scanner to receive the radio traffic in your area, but this is a simple procedure. These scanners allow you to listen in on the chatter between police officers, rescue squads, fire departments, and all manner of other emergency response agencies. Doing so can give you a heads-up on what’s going on locally. Obviously, these run on electricity, so invest in a battery pack for when the power goes out. If this is something that interests you, I’d highly encourage you to visit with a knowledgeable person in your area to ensure you get the right equipment. While your mileage may vary, I’ve often had great experiences with the folks at my local Radio Shack. Something you want to determine right away is whether your local police and fire departments have moved to digital transmissions, which is becoming increasingly common. If that’s the case, then the older models of scanners won’t be of use to you, and you’ll need to explore other options, such as investing in the more expensive digital scanners.

WEEK 36 ASSIGNMENTS

TASKS
1. Begin shopping around for basic communication equipment, including a crank radio or police scanner. Hit up your local Craigslist and Freecycle groups.
2. If it’s been a while since you last approached an extended family member or friend who’s reluctant about prepping, consider doing so this week. Remember, the more people you “convert” to being prepared, the fewer who might end up knocking on your door during a crisis.

SAVINGS
TOTAL PREPPER SAVINGS ACCOUNT: (Suggested total amount to now, $480)

WATER STORAGE
One gallon (or two 2-liter bottles) per person or a case of bottled water for the household. TOTAL WATER STORAGE: (Suggested total amount to now, 36 gallons per person)

GROCERY LIST
1 jar instant coffee (even if you don’t drink coffee, this is an excellent barter item)
1 treat, such as bagged popcorn or chips, bag of hard candy, or chocolate bars
1 lb pasta, your choice

Last edited:
WEEK 37
Site Security Survey

All the preps in the world won’t help you if someone can easily take them from you. It’s important to implement at least basic security measures for your home and retreat.

The first step is to determine your vulnerabilities and weaknesses. Once you have those figured out, you can work toward plugging those holes, so to speak.

This week, we’re going to focus on structure hardening. This term refers to the security of your home’s physical structure. We first do a survey of your home, and next week we’ll work on fixing any problems we found. In other lessons, we’ll discuss things like perimeter security, early warning devices, and area denial.

Grab a notepad and pen, and take a walk around your house. Make a note of every single point of entry, including all doors and ground-level windows. Don’t forget basement windows.
❑❑ Are there bushes in front of any of those windows, bushes that might provide concealment for someone looking to break in?
❑❑ Do you have exterior lighting at all doors? Do the lights work?
❑❑ Do you have keys hidden outside somewhere? How hidden are they really? Please don’t tell me you have a key under the doormat or in one of those fake rocks!
❑❑ Do you have trees with branches that overhang your roof, allowing someone access to the upper levels?
❑❑ Do you have window air conditioners? Can they be easily removed from the outside?
❑❑ Do you have solid-core or metal-encased exterior doors? Do the doors have windows built in?
❑❑ Do you have dead bolts on all exterior doors?
❑❑ Are the hinges on exterior doors exposed to the outside?
❑❑ Are all windows lockable from the inside? What kinds of windows do you have (casement, sliding, etc.)?
❑❑ Do you routinely keep curtains/drapes over windows so people can’t see inside?
❑❑ If you live in an apartment or condo, are the hallways well lit?
❑❑ Is it a secured building? That is, is the building’s outer door locked at all times, requiring a key or buzzer for entry?
❑❑ Do you have a pretty good idea of who lives around you? Would you recognize someone different in the immediate area?
❑❑ Is the parking lot well lit, or are there deep shadows at night in spots?
❑❑ Do you have a corded landline phone?
❑❑ Does everyone in your family know what to do in case of fire? How about a break-in?

As you go through the survey, look at everything with an outsider’s perspective. What would strangers see when they look at your home?

WEEK 37 ASSIGNMENTS

TASKS
1. Go through the security survey above. Feel free to make notes of additional concerns I may not have mentioned. In the next lesson, we’ll talk about ways to fix problem areas.
2. Be sure you’re rotating through your food supplies. Take some time this week to go through the pantry and identify anything that’s approaching its expiration date, and plan to use it before it goes bad.

SAVINGS
Add $10 in the Prepper Savings Account.
TOTAL PREPPER SAVINGS ACCOUNT: (Suggested total amount to now, $490)

WATER STORAGE
One gallon (or two 2-liter bottles) per person or a case of bottled water for the household. TOTAL WATER STORAGE: (Suggested total amount to now, 37 gallons per person)

GROCERY LIST
1 package or jar gravy, your choice
1 box tea bags (even if you don’t drink tea, this is an excellent barter item)
1 canister flavored drink mix, the type that has sugar already added
1 lb white rice

Last edited:
WEEK 38
Structure Hardening Part I— Doors and Windows

When I say “structure hardening,” I mean putting in place security measures to prevent break-ins. While no structure can be made impregnable without the use of some very high-tech and expensive gear and supplies, there are many things the average home owner can do to improve home security greatly.

Here, I concentrate on the most common ways to enter a dwelling, the doors and windows.

DOORS
All exterior doors should be solid wood or steel encased. Doors that have large windows in them should be replaced if at all possible.

If the hinges on the exterior door are accessible from the outside, the hinge pins should be welded or glued in place. Hinges should be attached to the frame using screws long enough to go through the frame and into the stud.

The strength of a door comes from not only the material it’s made of but also from the number of points of attachment there are to the frame. These points of attachment include hinges as well as the doorknob and dead bolts. The more points of attachment, the stronger the door. Adding three dead bolts, at the top, bottom, and near the doorknob, will increase the strength substantially. At a minimum, make sure you have one near the doorknob and ensure that the bolt goes into the frame at least a full inch.

If need be during or after a disaster, you can fortify the door from the inside to prevent it from being kicked in. Purchase metal brackets and install them on either side of the door, making sure you’re screwing the brackets into the studs rather than into drywall. Lay a two-by-four or two-by-six in the brackets so it goes across the door. The effect is not unlike what you’ve seen in countless westerns where the heroes place a large plank across the inside of the fort gate. You need not install these brackets until they’re needed, just have them, the board, and the screws stashed in a front closet until they’re needed.

WINDOWS
Windows are problematic. Glass is easily broken, of course. There are materials available, though, such as Lexan, that can replace the glass and are virtually unbreakable. Although pricey, there are also Kevlar-type materials that can be added to glass panes for the same effect. Another option is to place shatter-resistant film over the glass. You can find this type of product from a number of retailers. Simply do an online search for “shatter-resistant film.”

Consider purchasing plywood to place over the inside of the windows and be screwed in place. Obviously this will prevent you from seeing out, but it’ll be difficult for someone to easily break through and gain entry. Cut the plywood to size, label each piece with which window it’s for, and then stash them in the garage until 106 they may be needed. Again, as with the doors, make sure all screws go into studs for strength. Of course, this is a measure you’d take after a disaster, as it isn’t suited for everyday life.

A wide variety of shutters are available for most types of windows. They’re designed to be used during hurricanes, but will work well for our purposes, too. Of course, there are different configurations of bars you can install as well, but many home owners avoid them because of their unsightly appearance.

Double-hung windows can be secured by drilling a hole in the window frame, then sliding a nail that’s slightly thinner into the hole. The nail prevents the window from sliding open, but you can remove the nail to open the window for ventilation when you’re home.

Sliding windows, which move from left to right rather than up and down, can be secured by placing a dowel in the track of the sliding pane. This same tactic can be used on patio doors.

Casement windows are the ones that crank open by turning a handle. When closed, they’re almost impossible to open from the outside. Left open, though, the metal arms are accessible from the outside and could be removed.

Hanging curtains over the windows when you’re not home and at night will help keep prying eyes from seeing what you have inside. Post disaster, to prevent light from escaping at night and thus advertising your presence in the home, consider tacking up a couple layers of landscape fabric over the windows.

OUTBUILDINGS
Don’t forget to install security measures on outbuildings as well as the main dwelling. If a burglar or other ne’er-do-wells didn’t bring a crowbar or sledgehammer, you don’t want them picking one up in your shed to use. Keep doors and windows in outbuildings locked when you’re not using them.

WEEK 38 ASSIGNMENTS

TASKS
1. Determine which of the above options could be applied to your individual situation and begin implementing them. Purchase the necessary supplies and ask for installation assistance if need be.
2. Continue working your way through the site security survey we discussed last week. Pay particular attention to how people approach your home (driveway, front walk, etc.) and what they can see as they do so.

SAVINGS
TOTAL PREPPER SAVINGS ACCOUNT: (Suggested total amount to now, $505)

WATER STORAGE
One gallon (or two 2-liter bottles) per person or a case of bottled water for the household. TOTAL WATER STORAGE: (Suggested total amount to now, 38 gallons per person)

GROCERY LIST
1 box crackers, your choice

Last edited:
WEEK 39
Structure Hardening Part II—Alarms

In large part, we implement security measures not just to prevent unauthorized access to our dwellings but also to at least slow intruders down long enough for us to become aware of them and take action. As I stated in last week’s lesson, it’s almost impossible to make the average house 100 percent impregnable. This week, we discuss what you can put in place to alert you to someone who’s up to no good.

I’m a big fan of dogs, both as family pets and for security. You need not, and probably should not, go out and get the largest, meanest dog you can find. A Chihuahua will do just as well as a German shepherd when it comes to alerting you that something’s amiss. Scientifically speaking, a dog’s sense of smell is about a bazillion times stronger than ours, and their hearing is much sharper as well. They’re capable of detecting danger much more effectively than we can.

With that said, though, my take on dogs is such that my mutts are part of my family. They’re not employees, nor are they cattle. They are to be treated with love and affection, and, in return, they are wholeheartedly devoted to me and my family. Bringing a dog into your home is a lifetime commitment that should not be entered into lightly. If you take the time to bond with your dog and train it properly, it’ll return the favor by being a vigilant protector.

Many studies show that a dog’s presence is the number one factor to discourage a burglar from attempting to enter a home and instead deciding to move on to another target.

Remotely monitored alarm systems can be worth the investment, but they’re costly and contingent on electricity to operate. And, by their very nature, they require the involvement of another person to both monitor the system and alert you if something happens. I’m not ready to invest that amount of trust in someone I’ve never met.

There are relatively inexpensive alarms you can purchase from retailers like Radio Shack. They run on batteries, so their effectiveness isn’t tied to the grid.

You can go even cheaper, though, and use a DIY approach. Take a few empty aluminum soda cans and put some pebbles inside them. You don’t need to use a ton of pebbles, just a few will work. Place these empty cans on windowsills so if intruders are able to gain access, they’ll knock the cans over and make a loud racket. Depending on your window’s configuration, you might even be able to balance a can just so, causing it to fall to the floor if someone so much as jiggles the window.

You can do something similar for doors by placing the can or a glass bottle a few inches behind the door when you retire for the evening. In the morning, place the can or bottle up against the wall behind the door so it’s out of the way.

If you have the means to do so, consider putting in a gravel or crushed shell walkway in front of your home. You might be surprised at how loud the noise is from someone walking on it, especially on a quiet night.

For as long as the grid is up, motion lights mounted above every exterior door work great. There are solar powered lights as well but many of them aren’t very powerful. If you can, position the motion sensor so that it detects anyone going near windows as well.

WEEK 39 ASSIGNMENTS

TASKS
1. Work on obtaining what you need to install alarms for exterior doors and ground-level windows. Everyone’s situation is unique, so use the information above as a guideline, but tailor your solutions to your specific situation.
2. If you have one or more dogs, work on their training this week and going forward. You want them to alert you to possible danger but also be quiet on command.

SAVINGS
TOTAL PREPPER SAVINGS ACCOUNT: (Suggested total amount to now, $515)

WATER STORAGE
One gallon (or two 2-liter bottles) per person or a case of bottled water for the household. TOTAL WATER STORAGE: (Suggested total amount to now, 39 gallons per person)

GROCERY LIST
1 package or jar gravy, your choice
1 box powdered milk
1 lb pasta, your choice

Last edited:
WEEK 40
Reducing Your Footprint

One aspect of prepper security after a major collapse is keeping your head down and blending in. For example, if it’s been a few weeks since disaster struck and everyone around you is starting to see their belly buttons getting closer to their spines, you don’t want to walk around picking bacon from between your teeth and patting a full stomach.

If folks around you have a strong feeling that you have more “stuff” than they do, it may be only a matter of time before they come knocking on your door, either with their hands out or their hands filled with weapons. By reducing your footprint, you reduce any motivation for folks to come visiting.

What do I mean by footprint? It means leaving little evidence lying around that indicates you’re better off than others.

For at least the short term, bag up food wrappers and empty boxes for later disposal. If it looks like it’ll be some time before trash pickup begins again, consider either burning or burying trash. Compost as much as you can.

If at all possible, do all cooking indoors to prevent the smell from wafting over the neighborhood. Depending on what you’re cooking, which spices you use, and how you’re cooking it, that odor can travel far. If you have to cook outside, do so as quickly as possible.

Try to keep things audibly quiet as well. Depending on the circumstances, it may be fine to let the kids play in the backyard, but make sure they understand to keep the noise down. Ne’er-do-wells hunting for targets might figure if your kids have enough energy to play a loud game of tag, they’re getting that energy from food you’re hiding.

Keep your stored food and water out of sight in the home. Folks looking through windows as they pass by shouldn’t see five cases of MREs sitting on the kitchen table. And there may be occasions when neighbors might be welcome to stop over for a short visit, but you don’t want them knowing that you have a dozen cases of bottled water socked away.

If your neighbors are not keeping up with their lawns and flower beds, don’t be the only one on the block who does. Keep gardens in the backyard or somewhere else that’s not easily seen from the street. Consider privacy fencing to keep eyes away from your stuff.

Again, a key element here is to blend in with those around you. If they’re wearing drab clothes that are starting to get ragged, that’s not the best time to strut around in new-looking cargo pants and flannel shirts you set aside for a rainy day.

I have a hard time with preppers who line up for any rations being given out by authorities if said preppers have a fully stocked pantry. Doing so reduces the available resources for the truly needy. You’ll have to make your own call on that one.

WEEK 40 ASSIGNMENTS

TASKS
1. Work on reducing your footprint now to get in practice. Do what you can to generate less waste, for example. By way of comparison, my own family of five fills one, maybe two, trash bags a week with normal garbage. Add to that one recyclable bin, and that’s about all we put in ours for collection each week. Much of that trash could be burned if we had to do so.
2. Give some hard thought to repurposing items you’d normally put in the trash. Brainstorm with family members about how you can reuse tin cans and other containers, for example.

SAVINGS
TOTAL PREPPER SAVINGS ACCOUNT: (Suggested total amount to now, $530)

WATER STORAGE
One gallon (or two 2-liter bottles) per person or a case of bottled water for the household. TOTAL WATER STORAGE: (Suggested total amount to now, 40 gallons per person)

GROCERY LIST
1 package dry soup
1 gallon cooking oil (vegetable oil preferred for longer shelf life)
1 lb white rice

Last edited:
WEEK 41
Practicing Situational Awareness

How observant are you in your day-to-day life? Many people, and preppers are no exception, walk around with “blinders” on and pay little attention to the world around them. This is something you’ll need to change about yourself if that’s the case with you.

In what seems like a lifetime ago, I spent about a decade working in retail security. I spent countless hours being paid fairly well to watch people, both on camera and from the sales floor. Because of this experience, I became adept at reading people and even anticipating their movements and actions. I also learned just how little attention people paid to what went on around them. Countless times I saw a shoplifter conceal merchandise in his or her coat or pocket within a few feet of other shoppers. These other people had absolutely no clue what was happening nearby while they were looking at the merchandise in front of them.

Colonel Jeff Cooper, one of the most well-respected firearms instructors our country has ever seen, developed what is known as the Cooper Color Code. It’s a way to refer to the level of awareness you have at any point in your daily life.

Condition White: You’re paying very little attention to the world around you. You’re relaxed and calm with little or no worries.

Condition Yellow: You’re aware of your surroundings, but there’s nothing going on of real significance. You’re alert to potential threats, but nothing concrete is on your radar.

Condition Orange: You’re alert to a specific potential threat, but thus far there’s no real danger. You’re still scanning for other threats, but there’s at least one that has caught your attention.

Condition Red: There’s a real, immediate threat, and you’re prepared to act against it. You may not have to physically react, yet you’re ready to do so if need be.

Here’s how these conditions could unfold in the real world. You and your spouse are sitting at home one evening. It’s around 9:00 p.m., and the two of you are deeply involved in the last act of a movie you picked up from Redbox. You’re currently at Condition White.

Then there’s a knock at the front door. You immediately shift to Condition Yellow. There’s no real threat at the moment, but you weren’t expecting any visitors, especially late at night.

You look out the window and see an adult male standing on the front porch. You’ve never seen him before, and he certainly doesn’t look like he’s there to ask whether you’ve been “saved” or not. You move into Condition Orange. You don’t know who he is, but he hasn’t made any overt threats. Could be he needs help, maybe his car broke down.

While standing away from the door, you call to him and ask what he wants. He tells you he’s there to read the water meter, an obvious lie. You’re now at Condition Red and take whatever action that you feel is necessary. If, on the other hand, he does say his car broke down, and he’s hoping to either borrow your phone or ask you to call a tow for him, then you’d stay at Condition Orange until he’s left the area.

Make sense?

It wouldn’t be the worst idea in the world to get into the habit of telling yourself, nonverbally of course, when you move from one color to another. Doing so will help keep your mind focused.

Situational awareness is a key element of an overall safety and security plan. You absolutely cannot predict when trouble may visit you or your loved ones. It’s only through being vigilant and observing the world as 113 you travel through it that you’ll be in a position to act quickly and decisively when it becomes necessary for you to do so.

It does take practice. Awareness is not a skill that you’ll develop overnight. Here are some practice exercises.
1. When you and your family are driving somewhere, make a mental note of the vehicles passing you in the opposite direction. Color, condition, that sort of thing. Quiz each other from time to time with questions like, “What color was the last vehicle that passed us?” Looking in the rearview mirror is cheating.
2. When on foot, make it a habit to “check your six” regularly. Checking your six is taking a look at whoever is behind you. At a mall or other similar location, this is easily done by stopping to look in a shop window, then glancing around behind you before you move on. Pay attention to anyone who seems to stop when you do over and over.
3. When you’re out shopping, make a point of always noticing who’s in the same aisle as you. Male or female, alone or with kids, attire, demeanor. Then quiz yourself or each other when you get a few aisles away. What color was his shirt? Did she have a boy and a girl or two boys?

The takeaway from this week’s lesson is to rip off the blinders and pay attention to what’s going on around you as much as possible

WEEK 41 ASSIGNMENTS

TASKS
1. Practice the situational awareness exercises and develop a few more of your own. Kids can really get into this if you present it as a game.
2. If you’re active on any social media websites, such as Facebook, Twitter, or message boards, take a hard look at your profile information. What are you telling the world about you? Be very aware of what people can find out about you by simply clicking a mouse.

SAVINGS
TOTAL PREPPER SAVINGS ACCOUNT: (Suggested total amount to now, $540)

WATER STORAGE
One gallon (or two 2-liter bottles) per person or a case of bottled water for the household. TOTAL WATER STORAGE: (Suggested total amount to now, 41 gallons per person)

GROCERY LIST

WEEK COMPLETED Date:_____________

Last edited:
WEEK 42
Planning for Post-collapse Excursions

During any lingering sort of disaster, such as a lengthy pandemic or perhaps an electromagnetic (EMP) strike, there may come times when members of the family or group will need to venture out into the world. For example, perhaps supplies of certain medications are running low. Or it could just be the need to gather information about the world at large.

The prudent prepper needs to foresee this possibility and plan for it. For our discussion here, I call those who go exploring “scouts.”

It’s important that any excursion be planned out in great detail. The ideal scouts will be those who are quick and intelligent, and know the area well. They need to be able to think on their feet, making snap decisions as necessary.

Maps of the area are essential for planning. Take the time now to acquire as many detailed maps as you can find, including road atlases, street maps, even the small municipal maps often found in telephone books. It would also behoove you to take those maps with you when you’re out and about now, jotting notes about the area. Knowing where you can potentially find supplies if things go from bad to worse will be helpful.

Another thing to consider, when the time comes, is to combine the existing maps with any information you gather or glean from various sources and draw up new maps, complete with notations on who’s now residing where, known deaths in the area, and other vital information. As scouts return, they can add their observations to the maps, keeping things as current as you can.

When a scouting mission is being planned, the scouts should be given lists of needed items as well as a way to bring those items back. This is where having a stash of empty backpacks may come in handy. When possible, scouts should also have communications equipment so they can stay in touch not only with home but with each other. Two-way radios or portable CB radios may work well for this, depending on the range involved.

Using the information available, specific routes should be planned and memorized, with alternates included. It’s important that the scouts stick to the plan as much as possible. In the event that things go awry, the remaining family members will want and need to have at least some idea of where to search.

With rare exception, the scouts should strive to remain unseen, or at least unnoticed. This means they should try to blend in, mirroring the appearance of those around them. Disheveled and dirty will likely be the name of the game. This also extends to being aware of noise that may be generated by the scouts’ searching. Avoid kicking in doors or smashing windows, for example.

Time is of the essence. Get in, grab what’s needed, and get back home as quickly as is prudent. Every moment spent outside the home or retreat increases the risk of detection. The route back to the retreat, though, should not be a direct one, in case the scouts are detected or followed. Taking a more circuitous route will help in determining if they’re being tracked.

It’s a good idea to develop some sort of code that the scouts can make to those at home upon their arrival that would indicate either all is well or they’re under duress. This could be as simple as placing a colored bandanna in the front pocket to show that the scouts are fine, while no bandanna would indicate something is amiss. A corresponding code from the group or retreat would not be a bad idea either.

If numbers allow, two or more scouts in a group would be much better. They can then back each other up as well as keep additional eyes out for danger. With that in mind, planning should include contingencies in the 117 event that the scouts are separated. A few different meeting points should be chosen on the map and communicated to each scout. If separated, scouts should immediately proceed to the nearest meeting point and wait for a given period of time to see if everyone is able to make it. If someone doesn’t show up within that time, the remaining scouts should proceed back to the retreat to regroup and plan the next move.

Back