Cryptozoology... ?? Believe it, or Don't ??

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Horton

Old Bush Bear
Neighbor
This should be fun....
Someone has talked about paranormal incidents.. I'm not sure about that.. However I do believe there are things in the woods and waters we don't know about.. And likely would be quite surprised to find out about..

Supposedly..... There is some form of a sasquatch type beast in northern Wisconsin.. Knowing what I do about some of the people in that area, likely one of the locals... (I know, bad joke) But in the far north of the BC Canada coast there is supposed to be both a forest dweller of some kind, as well as a lake dweller they call Ogo Pogo.. I'm not going to discount either of these possibilities..

Many places in North America have a local version of a forest or water ...creature... of one kind or another..

Any legends, stories, experiences in your area ??

https://www.bfro.net/gdb/

Nope. I'd have seen some sign of sasquatch by now if there was any merit to the claims which are all up and down the Appalachian mountains. Businesses certainly don't mind capitalizing on merch and tourist attractions which stoke the fires of people's imaginations. What I have seen signs of are bored, fearful and fanciful folks who want to believe in something interesting and unexplainable... and I've read lots of evidence showing people getting very creative with the taxidermy.

When I lived a bit north of here there was a lady who claimed to see mr. Sasquatch and said it stole her cat... she was a bad hoarder and when she died several cats remains were found in her home.

Frankly the people who really seriously believed in/claimed to see cryptids/aliens have all turned out with 100% consistency to be nutjobs. I don't mean that in a mean way, just stating my personal experience here.

To answer the original question, yes, I believe in cryptozoology. Some may be undiscovered species. Some may be species that were supposed to be extinct. I think there is a TV show hosted by a guy who searches for animals that are supposed to be extinct. IMHO it is fascinating, and I can't get enough of it.

There have been Bigfoot sightings reported in every state except Hawaii. Everybody can't be crazy. Here is our contribution.

https://krocnews.com/sheriff-shares-bone-chilling-bigfoot-encounter-from-near-st-louis/

To answer the original question, yes, I believe in cryptozoology. Some may be undiscovered species. Some may be species that were supposed to be extinct. I think there is a TV show hosted by a guy who searches for animals that are supposed to be extinct. IMHO it is fascinating, and I can't get enough of it.

There have been Bigfoot sightings reported in every state except Hawaii. Everybody can't be crazy. Here is our contribution.

https://krocnews.com/sheriff-shares-bone-chilling-bigfoot-encounter-from-near-st-louis/
See it to believe it exists doesn't work for me! There are many things I'll never see or encounter in my lifetime, but they certainly exist!

Funny you should bring it up… just in the last month there has been several tv shows on cryptozoology. I saw one about a large hairless dog with blue eyes in NC. They were calling it a Chupacabra. Same show.. a rancher in Tx had one stuffed that I'd also heard about years earlier.

https://www.grunge.com/262086/inside-the-texas-blue-dog-sightings/

Quote… Dr. Phylis Canion, a rancher/nutrionist in Cuero County, caught sight of a bluish, hairless, dog-ish creature on her property in 2007 that supposedly sucked all the blood from her goats, chickens, and other livestock.

This isn’t the first show I’ve seen on this creature, other tv shows like Unexplained Files aired similar stories.

But… I’ve actually seen a dead one about 20yrs ago. It was in my pole barn wedged between rolls of hay. I’d feed hay out of that barn in late winter. Outside stacked rolls were fed first. By late Feb I’d be down to the last 25 rolls stacked in that barn.

One morning I was getting a roll of hay to feed the cows. When I moved a roll of hay I saw something odd on the ground. It looked like a hairless dead dog, to big to be a coyote and it had blue eyes. I thought maybe it got the bad kind of mange, wedged it’s self between rolls of hay and froze to death. I tossed it on our burn pile just below that barn.

A few years later I saw a tv show about this texas blue dog the lady had stuffed. That is exactly what I saw!!! I wasn’t about to go digging for bones in the burn pile so forgot about it until a couple weeks ago when I saw yet another chupacabra show. I have no idea what they are but I do know they exists. I didn’t have any dead livestock with blood sucked from them, just a big frozen canine of some type with blue eyes.

So, are there critters we don’t know about in the woods. Of that I have no doubt… what they are? I’ll leave that to geneticists.

Edit to add... Moments ago I talked to my dad. He saw the same hairless critter that day. I'd went and got him and showed it to him. He didn't know what it was either. We tried to remember the year... best guess is '02.

chupacabra 01.jpg
chupacabra 02.jpg

Last edited:
Funny you should bring it up… just in the last month there has been several tv shows on cryptozoology. I saw one about a large hairless dog with blue eyes in NC. They were calling it a Chupacabra. Same show.. a rancher in Tx had one stuffed that I'd also heard about years earlier.

https://www.grunge.com/262086/inside-the-texas-blue-dog-sightings/

Quote… Dr. Phylis Canion, a rancher/nutrionist in Cuero County, caught sight of a bluish, hairless, dog-ish creature on her property in 2007 that supposedly sucked all the blood from her goats, chickens, and other livestock.

This isn’t the first show I’ve seen on this creature, other tv shows like Unexplained Files aired similar stories.

But… I’ve actually seen a dead one about 20yrs ago. It was in my pole barn wedged between rolls of hay. I’d feed hay out of that barn in late winter. Outside stacked rolls were fed first. By late Feb I’d be down to the last 25 rolls stacked in that barn.

One morning I was getting a roll of hay to feed the cows. When I moved a roll of hay I saw something odd on the ground. It looked like a hairless dead dog, to big to be a coyote and it had blue eyes. I thought maybe it got the bad kind of mange, wedged it’s self between rolls of hay and froze to death. I tossed it on our burn pile just below that barn.

A few years later I saw a tv show about this texas blue dog the lady had stuffed. That is exactly what I saw!!! I wasn’t about to go digging for bones in the burn pile so forgot about it until a couple weeks ago when I saw yet another chupacabra show. I have no idea what they are but I do know they exists. I didn’t have any dead livestock with blood sucked from them, just a big frozen canine of some type with blue eyes.

So, are there critters we don’t know about in the woods. Of that I have no doubt… what they are? I’ll leave that to geneticists.

Edit to add... Moments ago I talked to my dad. He saw the same hairless critter that day. I'd went and got him and showed it to him. He didn't know what it was either. We tried to remember the year... best guess is '02.

View attachment 165356View attachment 165357

I saw the same TV show. Didn;t they say it was a coy-wolf? A cross breed between coyote and wolf? The chupacabra legend seems to be bigger in Puerto Rico, and I believe the Spanish translation is Goat sucker. The animals that are found dead are not consumed, but the blood is drained out of them.

I saw the same TV show. Didn;t they say it was a coy-wolf? A cross breed between coyote and wolf? The chupacabra legend seems to be bigger in Puerto Rico, and I believe the Spanish translation is Goat sucker. The animals that are found dead are not consumed, but the blood is drained out of them.

Something like that but said 1/3rd of the dna was unknown. What ever they are they seem to be a distinct breed and their range seems to be from Tx across the south to NC.

Do they suck blood? I didn't have any dead livestock which is why I just tossed it on the burn pile, seemed of no consequence. If I'd heard about others I'd have called the game warden and reported it. But I hadn't heard anything at that time.

Last edited:
Don't forget Champ, the Lake Champlain monster, or Nessie. Isn't there a lake monster in the Pacific Northwest? Ogopogo I believe.

There is a Dogman in Michigan that has also been seen in Louisiana and Wisconsin. Kind of a Werewolf creature.

There is a Mothman that is seen prior to disasters.

What other cryptids can you remember?

Some folks believe Chupacabras are old dogs or coyotes that can't eat prey, so the suck the blood out of them! Possibly where the vampire stories come from! Someone finds dead animals with bite marks on their necks and their blood drank! I know my two older outside cats (Sammy and Annie) cannot chew a rabbit or squirrel like Baby Cakes can. They will go for the blood and leave the carcass for Baby Cakes. But like Peanut said, some of the DNA does not match other animals!!

Watch it buddy!! Lol!
i see what you did there...donkeys name is buddy..yall she called me a jackazz !!....lol....j/k....!!

just tossing this out....years ago now a lion hunter in arizona put his dogs after biggest lion track he had ever seen. awhile later they caught the lion and was bayed up in rock pile and as he was going in he could tell his dogs were not exactly barking right and he felt like they were afraid....when he got to them they had a jaguar bayed up in rocks...he couldnt believe his eyes...he hiked back to truck and got his camera and got back up with hounds and then took 100's of photos to prove his story...he called arizona dnr and they laughed him off the phone...he sent a copy to newspaper and when it came out...the dnr was on his door step next morning asking questions.

he told them where,what,how. dnr put game cameras out and in less than a week to their surprise..they thought it was just a wandering male jaguar coming up from mexico but they got pictures of a female with cubs following her and other adults on cameras.

he published a picture book later on with all his photos he took..they are awesome photos too.

Oar fish are a convincing culprit

Aye, as are Many Other of the 'Deep Sea haunters'...

Giant-Isopod.webp
:eek:

18161.jpg
:oops:
18169.jpg
o_O
18164.jpg
..Sheesh, who needs a Chupacabra?! o_O

..Oh look, it's Michael Moore!...
1000.jpg
:p

@Peanut Yeesh, that sounds like a solid heebie-geebie.. But I believe ya. :cool: 'Hairless Dogs' (and Cats, for that matter..) are Truly 'disturbing looking' animals..

jd

the guy caught jaguar was rancher,guide and more Warner Glenn he bayed it in 1996 and from my understanding he caught a second jaguar in 2006. hes like 87 years old now.

i have a copy of the book somewhere on my shelves. i bought it back then when it came out.

arizona jaguar.png

As far as Bigfoot goes, they don't want to interact with humans. To my knowledge they are xenophobes and want to be left alone. They are masters of blending into the forest. Too many accounts and folklore for it suggests there is more to the story than pure myth. Indian folklore going back hundreds of years. The Bigfoot war of 1855. A logging camp in northern California where 55 gal drums of fuel being picked up and thrown, equipment destroyed. More and more people, because there are more and more, are going deeper and deeper into the woods so it stands to reason there may be more sightings. As I understand they are nomadic living off what is currently available and moving on not staying put too long. Anything, and anybody, when it gets hungry will eat anything and everything they think they can. Bigfoot, chupacabra, Haitian immigrants. That's the way of nature. On a different note, Modern pterosaurs. The case of two school teachers diving through the desert, I believe in the late 50's, and seeing a pterodactyl fly over their car! There is a civil war photo of soldiers standing with a dead pterodactyl. Though there are copycat photo's this one is the most compelling according to investigators. Wall painting and reliefs by American Indians depicting pterosaurs.
cropped-Civil-War-Pterosaur-cropped.jpg
Tombstone thunderbird 2.jpg

In the 15 or so years I’ve been in Texas there was talk, sightings, of the chupacabra in Wise County and to the west of that county. There was an article in the local newspaper to that county.
There is the myth of Chessie (Chesapeake Bay sea creature). I have no stories to share about that.
When I was growing up part of the local gangs of teens had a particular fun-loving guy who somehow dressed up like a werewolf. It was first believed to be true after several sightings, then it was leaked out who it really was, God rest his soul.
Great stories, y’all.
There was an ocelot struck and killed on a highway in Palo Pinto County a few years ago, made the local newspaper and then Fort Worth news stations. The ocelots in Texas generally have a very small area of existence near the border with Mexico.

Black jaguars have been reported in bama since I was a kid. It is their native range. My grandpa saw one. My dad has heard them. I heard something one evening I couldn't identify. When I described it to dad, it was the same thing he heard. It was a big cat of some type. The day I heard it I was waiting by my chickern coop for the hens to come in just before dark so I could close them in. There were 2 coyotes yapping about 300yrds away in different directions. As soon as the cat cried the first time they went silent, didn't hear them again the rest of the evening. What ever it was followed a game trail from my cousin's farm, across the highway and down to my bottom pastures. I heard it cry 3 times as it traveled along.

A friend caught the haunches and tail of a large black cat on a game camera. He took me to the spot where the camera had been so I could see that it was big! The state game people came out and poo-poo'd it. Claimed blah, blah, blah, don't exists here anymore.

I posted a few weeks ago about scouting medicine plants at a place I rarely go, especially alone because I know big cats live in that area, where my friend lives.

You need to worry about the Jersey Devil 😉
You know the devil stays in the Barrens--never comes north of Newark. I wouldn't either if I had any say in it.

Of course, listening to the media you'd think the Jersey Devil lives in Bedminister. ;)

As far as Bigfoot goes, they don't want to interact with humans. To my knowledge they are xenophobes and want to be left alone. They are masters of blending into the forest. Too many accounts and folklore for it suggests there is more to the story than pure myth. Indian folklore going back hundreds of years. The Bigfoot war of 1855. A logging camp in northern California where 55 gal drums of fuel being picked up and thrown, equipment destroyed. More and more people, because there are more and more, are going deeper and deeper into the woods so it stands to reason there may be more sightings. As I understand they are nomadic living off what is currently available and moving on not staying put too long. Anything, and anybody, when it gets hungry will eat anything and everything they think they can. Bigfoot, chupacabra, Haitian immigrants. That's the way of nature. On a different note, Modern pterosaurs. The case of two school teachers diving through the desert, I believe in the late 50's, and seeing a pterodactyl fly over their car! There is a civil war photo of soldiers standing with a dead pterodactyl. Though there are copycat photo's this one is the most compelling according to investigators. Wall painting and reliefs by American Indians depicting pterosaurs.View attachment 165364View attachment 165366

Concerning those photos.

https://karlshuker.blogspot.com/2021/01/elucidating-two-civil-war-pterodactyl.html?m=1

I completely believe in this. I saw a 6'2" bearded woman with blue hair, facial piercings, wearing a rainbow skirt and a tube top the other day protesting something. I hoped it would scurry back into the sewer or the mountains but it didn't. I presume it had not consumed enough car exhaust, sugar and hatred to return to it's cave. Scary stuff.

I have never seen anything in the woods/mountains that I could not identify or easily explain, but I have seen some bizarre stuff in the deep waters. Not in person, just photos and videos. I just watched a video about a "helmet jellyfish" that was observed by some deep water science expedition. It was massive and looked like some kind of freaky alien.

Latest posts

Back