EMP protection

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watched a show yesterday and it said 90% of cars will still work after an EMP, those that don't were cars with FOB's and high antenna's. But the chances on an EMP frying even the newer cars circuits were slim. Of course, one says this and one says that, so who do you believe? I have a 73 Chevy C10 and not worried about it during a EMP and a couple of newer cars but I did put extra Ignition modules and other components in small Faraday cages, just in case. Along with extra fuses which the show did say mat go out.
I had a 67 C10. Never needed a EMP to cause a break down....did that all by itself.

I had a 67 C10. Never needed a EMP to cause a break down....did that all by itself.
Well I am Not a Chevy fan, but since my Brother gave me the truck, I can not complain! LOL But I must say it has been a very good truck! About a year before he gave it to me, he had the motor and trans rebuilt and the guy who did it was the guy who did the motors and such for the General Lee on The Dukes of Hazard show. As long as it runs after a EMP I am happy!

Hey everyone. What I want to know is if I took a metal pickup truck flatbed locker (like the one below) and covered the entire interior in rubber Flex Paste, do you think it would be a good Faraday cage against EMP?

1627622442565.png

surely apart from anything else EMP's will fry the car's battery and probably every battery that is in a store or storage, so no car or vehicle is going anywhere once that happens.

Hey everyone. What I want to know is if I took a metal pickup truck flatbed locker (like the one below) and covered the entire interior in rubber Flex Paste, do you think it would be a good Faraday cage against EMP?

View attachment 13168
Pretty much yes, if the metal container seals properly and the goods inside are insulated from the metal body.

surely apart from anything else EMP's will fry the car's battery and probably every battery that is in a store or storage, so no car or vehicle is going anywhere once that happens.

Nup, any new battery stored uncharged / inactivated is unaffected, as is batteries also stored in faraday cage type storage

so any battery fitted to a car will be affected, all traffic will come to a standstill, is that right?

well it must have an effect on electrics and electronics or else we wouldnt be talking about it.

Yes, I'm very sure. I have volumes on EMP provided to me by the US Army as I am a M.A.R.S. operator. Hand pumps take care of the filling station scenario.
yeah but only as long as there is fuel in the filling station tanks, there wont be any refilling post SHTF, so its only temporary at best and very short term.

Last edited:
so any battery fitted to a car will be affected, all traffic will come to a standstill, is that right?

Not neccesarily as vehicles themselves are to a degree rather efficient faraday cages, Theres always exceptions and circumstances. Plus air started trucks dont need a battery to start, and I simply do not know if electric vehicles are surge resisant. Many kick started motorcycles wont be affected and others may be able to be bump started. I also dont know about hydrogen fuel cell powered vehicles.

Would an EMP fry (fuse) the points on a VW Beetle?

Generally if the Ignition circuit is complete YES fuses, relays, coils, condensors etc could be knocked out, BUT they are much easier to repair.

There are three components of a Nuclear EMP blast, E1, E2, and E3 which are of different wavelengths and durations, and they affect different types of circuits and components. Shielding designed for one component may be useless against the others. Too much to try to explain here but just do some reading up on them.

There are three components of a Nuclear EMP blast, E1, E2, and E3 which are of different wavelengths and durations, and they affect different types of circuits and components. Shielding designed for one component may be useless against the others. Too much to try to explain here but just do some reading up on them.
Thank you.

I guess that simply sticking electronics in the insulated interior of a sealed metal box isn't enough.

I've tried to toy with the idea of a Faraday Cage nested within a larger Faraday Cage, so I've been playing with the idea of steel pickup truck flatbed lockers within a sealed, steel dumpster that's insulated on the inside with a layer of rubber.

I don't know that I have room for such an answer, or that I'm that dependant upon a huge array of electronics.

I'm interested in storing a DVD player, with DVD's of practical things like gunsmithy, animal husbandry, gardening instructions, medical techniques (like suturing), and so forth.

I would also put aside a box air conditioner, spare electronic components for the solar panels, 3 small to medium flat screen televisions, calculators, diabetic glucometers, battery chargers, radios, and so forth.

I have not figured out how to load Kindle books onto a thumb drive.

Once I get that down, I'll include redundant Kindle E-readers and tablets, with extra specialty rechargable batteries in order to be able to keep reading E-books.

I would--I imagine--be able to amass an electronic library of over 4,000 books . . . that would be more portable than a small laptop.

However, there is no way to repair the infrastructure if a tablet or E-reader got broken in some way. The only answer I've been able to come up with is to have redundant tablets and extra E-readers.

There is a lot of misconceptions about what a Faraday Cage is and how it works. A Faraday Cage doesn't need to be insulated on the inside to behave as a Faraday Cage. LOOK IT UP! But that's not the only kind of shielding you need for an EMP.
A Faraday cage operates because an external electrical field causes the electric charges within the cage's conducting material to be distributed so that they cancel the field's effect in the cage's interior.

Bingo! To work correctly you want a clean metal surface on the inside of the cage. Double wrap your electronics in ESDS bags. To function correctly the cage must have a tight fitting lid and a good ground connection, copper strap is best, then braid. That single strand of 16ga green wire will not get the job done.

Bingo! To work correctly you want a clean metal surface on the inside of the cage. Double wrap your electronics in ESDS bags. To function correctly the cage must have a tight fitting lid and a good ground connection, copper strap is best, then braid. That single strand of 16ga green wire will not get the job done.
Ask any ham about proper bonding and grounding...

There is a lot of misconceptions about what a Faraday Cage is and how it works. A Faraday Cage doesn't need to be insulated on the inside to behave as a Faraday Cage. LOOK IT UP! But that's not the only kind of shielding you need for an EMP.

you're probably confusing a lot of people - especially the newbies - with a statement like that >>> I cushion & insulate at the same time - my covers are always either a tite fit or crushed down and locked on firmly ...

my larger Faraday cages are stored in my attic - if by the wildest chances I can find any of my attic contents after the house top gets tornado or nuke blasted - I want my cages back with the contents intact .....[/QUOTE]

I think an EMP will do a lot of damage over here or else we wouldnt be talking about it, not many places have faraday shielding in place, I did hear that an EMP would blow all the connectors in the power grid over here and a report said it would take 2 years to replace them, none are made here and have to be shipped from overseas, 2 years without power? thats the end of life as we know it for most people over here, the survivors would not number many and will be well spread out.
most devices and systems here are electrically powered and without electric the country would go dark.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back