fixin' Patch's ac...maybe

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Here's the lowdown. Got home for lunch, little too warm in the house. AC not blowin' but fan was. Oh, replace batteries cuz batteries gave up on the wall thermostat. Replaced batteries, no change. Oh because I didn't check the unit. Unit didn't come back on. Tried the reset button on the thermostat. no change. a while later when I got back home again, 83 in the house. now says batteries are low. didn't have spare batteries. back out to store for batteries. Looked at breakers. Looked fine but did it anyway. Please don't hurt me for all the mistakes I'm making.
No worries, there is a window unit in a window we're using to try to keep things not so miserable.
Otherwise, any suggestions besides call the hvac peoples? Order is in but who knows when they'll get here.

If you know which breakers control the ac unit, turn it/them of for a few minutes and the turn back on, it may have a latch up code in the control unit

If I was a guy it wouldn't matter. I'd have fixed it by now, right? RIGHT?
I don't know. Yeah, it is always something. I'm not my Irish sister in law who was born chewing on 4 leaf clovers with a horseshoe hanging around her neck.

If you know which breakers control the ac unit, turn it/them of for a few minutes and the turn back on, it may have a latch up code in the control unit
I tried that too.
Several ceiling fans, a must in Texas, and three floor fans. Close the blinds, keep the big door shut, don't cook, no lights, :waiting:

Several ceiling fans, a must in Texas, and three floor fans. Close the blinds, keep the big door shut, don't cook, no lights,
Famous, Old-OLD Sourdough saying, Reason Texas is HOT, is because it a cute & tiny State. And all that cuteness in such a tiny state generates heat.

Currently in Paradise, Alaska, 66 degrees above with light sprinkles, gentle breeze.

Here's the lowdown. Got home for lunch, little too warm in the house. AC not blowin' but fan was. Oh, replace batteries cuz batteries gave up on the wall thermostat. Replaced batteries, no change. Oh because I didn't check the unit. Unit didn't come back on. Tried the reset button on the thermostat. no change. a while later when I got back home again, 83 in the house. now says batteries are low. didn't have spare batteries. back out to store for batteries. Looked at breakers. Looked fine but did it anyway. Please don't hurt me for all the mistakes I'm making.
No worries, there is a window unit in a window we're using to try to keep things not so miserable.
Otherwise, any suggestions besides call the hvac peoples? Order is in but who knows when they'll get here.
Funny you should mention that. Ours stopped working recently, t-stat said change batteries, and I did. It took off running. :thumbs:
Remember, I am a 'trust but verify' guy and check the voltage of every battery going into something.
Some that have been sitting 'never-used' for over a year, ain't no good. :(
My other advice that you don't want to hear:
If the unit is close to 20y/o, consider replacing it. With the improvements in efficiency in the last 10 years, the savings on your power bill will pay for it in 7 years.:thumbs:
(Super owns stock in an evil electric company and the 👹side is screaming: "Keep it running as long as you can, because we luv your money:D!")

If I was a guy it wouldn't matter. I'd have fixed it by now, right? RIGHT?
I don't know. Yeah, it is always something. I'm not my Irish sister in law who was born chewing on 4 leaf clovers with a horseshoe hanging around her neck.
lol...yea...elk can flip a break and kick the side of it or use a hammer on it and cuss it out some...after that he has hvac guys on speed dial telling them get here fast as you can.

Batteries ..... on AC ❓ :rolleyes:

Mine have no battery ..its old and still working
just wash the filter ...or slam the top of AC with a hammer
Yup ...its my way
now its back at work

Mine looks exactly like it LOL 🤣
1720834610926.png

@Ekatarina Central AC, a thermostat on the wall to control whether I'm using heat or AC. A unit outside the house with the big system running along in the attic. Blows hot or cold air out the vents in the ceilings.
Ok.

Mine is simple ..I put it in window as soon as I feel a bit warm outside
and put the AC off the window when weather start to be around cold/Autumn/20f

Then When it is really cold I start to burn wood in my woodstove in the evenings
and sometimes daytime ...the best time of the year for me

Are there any easy access panels, that might have a reset button for a motor overload, ?
Not that I am aware of. It is 91° outside. Indoors 84°. Humidity at 45% and in check, inside. Not too bad.
@Ekatarina AC is needed in this place off and on from March, then mostly on in May through maybe mid October. That's just the way it is here.
I've gotten to where I can't stand for the air to be still inside. Anyone else?

possibly two months ago @Caribou
On the air filter...
I used to have to scrub the lint off the coils and filter every few months because the filter didn't stop 💩from going thru:mad:.
Then I skipped a few months and the filter got a nice layer of lint on it and actually started filtering the air! :eyeballs:
Didn't have to scrub the coil.:D
I checked the airflow out of the vents: still great.:thumbs:
Clean filters don't work worthadam.

99% guarantee it is a capacitor. Amazon carries them for $25, and 3-4 wires to unplug then plug in, but it holds a charge that would knock a horse off its feet. A/C guys charge ~$300 to change them out.
Yep. :thumbs:
I still have mine that must have 'overeaten' :rolleyes::
IMG_20240713_012718_6_kindlephoto-733468207.jpg

The new one was bigger and different.
The unit mfr obviously chose the cheapest one that would run the unit. :mad:

Here's what the top should look like:
61luW-KTxYL._SX522_.jpg

Hey Patch, give yours a look. It ain't rocket science. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
On a central air system, sometimes there's a Ground Fault breaker (it looks like a regular wall outlet except it's got a reset button on the face of it.)
It's sometimes located on an outside wall, probably in one of those semi-clear weatherproof boxes. It might trip if the condensation pump trips it and it would do what you described. There probably would be a condensation drain pipe nearby coming out of the wall. Just something to check?! Try pushing that reset button. (If you haven't already got it fixed.)

Attachments

• GFCI-Outlet.png
    GFCI-Outlet.png
    698 KB · Views: 0
...And where is @Acdoctor when we really need him? gaah
He chimed in with laughter.
Things are semi- under control. Did you know this is considered an emergency?
Still gotta go to work. I don’t think I’ll get anyone here until Monday and I’m ok with that. PITA.
Where is the capacitor? Part of the system is in the attic. Isn’t it like 12,000 degrees up there?
Lil Patch doesn’t want to get fried so we’ll just leave it for the AC guys. I will not be paying for it if it is not a simple fix.
Thank you for all the ideas!!!

It could be the capacitor or fan motor but the reason i didn’t comment was the lack of info on what the unit would or wouldn’t do. I was also headed out the door to go to work in place of someone that called out an hour before his shift started.
If the system just stopped cooling it is most likely the capacitor and is a simple fix if you feel comfortable doing it.

When you turn on the ac at the thermostat go out and look at the outside unit. If the fan isn’t turning and making a loud humming noise and the compressor isn’t making a low growling noise it’s most likely the capacitor. You’ll need to see the values on the one you have and get an exact replacement. Like has been said, they are less than $30 and worth trying.

You’ll need to take a pic of where the wires go on it. The capacitor has markings on the top by the terminals.

E27E6ACD-FE5B-4EF7-94EB-C0FCC647AC9B.jpeg

^^^ Yes, Pics of b4 n after... Pics of the Unit with Access Panels with screws b4 n after removing, what's inside Panel to show where n how things are n connected... So You know where n how they should go back after fixing...!!!

Latest posts

Back