Food shortages are here and getting worse.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those that failed to establish at least some degree of self-sufficiency such as gardening , and harvesting their own meat or now at the mercy of the mess the Communist have created . If they didn't get ready like preppers have basically begged them to do for many years are now likely priced out of that homestead and becoming at least partially self-sufficient .

Dropped another $95 at Walmart.
We were discussing the prices with our children in Germany and my daughter mentioned the price of pork there now. She got a 4 lb. package of pork neck and paid $33.00/ 30.00 Euros.
Our bread has gone from $1.00 for a 2 lb./1kg loaf up to $3.00/€2,50 for the same loaf in the last 3 years.
Eggs were $.30 each and now they are $1.00 EACH.
Diesel was 295 Hungarian Forinth in Sep. 2020- went to 690 Forinth in 2022 and has dropped to 610 Forinth now.
I get 385 Forinth for a dollar and that makes it around a dollar and a half for a liter/quart of diesel.
So I am paying about $6.00 a Gallon/diesel...so glad my 2008 Volvo get about 40 mpg.

1701093797265.png

That is fantastic you guys raise your own meat! Goats and cattle, right? Do you raise your own hogs too?

In Texas you can get about 150-200 lbs of pork for $1.50. All you have to do is wait for the feral hogs to show up.

but what about folks like me, I have 2 brown thumbs and almost everything I plant dies
GG some things are pretty easy to grow. Starting out, I would say go with summer squash and zucchini, okra, green beans and you have to try tomatoes. If the tomatoes go into a pot, it is best to get a small variety.

In Texas you can get about 150-200 lbs of pork for $1.50. All you have to do is wait for the feral hogs to show up.

I always forget about all the feral hogs in Texas! Saw a week or so ago where a new, larger and meaner wild hog has made it way down from Canada.

Super Pigs’ Weighing 600 Pounds Wreak Havoc Across Canada — And Build ‘Pigloos’ To Survive The Winter

1701121987482.png

One of my neighbors (Deputy) has a business eradicating Feral hogs. I got a free supply of pork. Just gotta take a whole hog.

I wish i had the freezer space or the spouse that ate pork

One of my neighbors (Deputy) has a business eradicating Feral hogs. I got a free supply of pork. Just gotta take a whole hog.

I wish i had the freezer space or the spouse that ate pork
The most tender ones are the babies unfortunately. 20-30 lbs The adults are better for sausage. As far as I have found feral hogs have no redeeming qualities other than they can be eaten.

This last vote, the Texas constitution was changed to make it so that HOA's can no longer tell people they cannot grow a garden or raise livestock (as long as they do so safely).

Things that make you go hmmmmm.
I do wonder if this was done to preempt the WEF, otherwise why change the Constitution instead of passing a law?

GG some things are pretty easy to grow. Starting out, I would say go with summer squash and zucchini, okra, green beans and you have to try tomatoes. If the tomatoes go into a pot, it is best to get a small variety.
the last time I did tomatoes I had 6 plants,,,,,,,,,, I got 9 small tomatoes

We have seen prices go up, but nothing like what I hear about in other areas. This week, our pork loin prices are 1.89 lb. Bone in chops 1.69. Ribeyes this week are 8.99 lb. Tyson wings or boneless breast 2.5 lb bag is 3.99, which I think is high. Butter 2.50 lb. Canned green beans, corn and peas .59 a can. Milk is 2.89 and eggs are 1.12. Gas is 2.78 a gallon. We still have not seen any shortages. These are at a local grocery store, I know we might get these items cheaper at Walmart, but they put two of our smaller grocery stores out of business so I try not to shop at Walmart. I like supporting local businesses when I can.

We have seen prices go up, but nothing like what I hear about in other areas. This week, our pork loin prices are 1.89 lb. Bone in chops 1.69. Ribeyes this week are 8.99 lb. Tyson wings or boneless breast 2.5 lb bag is 3.99, which I think is high. Butter 2.50 lb. Canned green beans, corn and peas .59 a can. Milk is 2.89 and eggs are 1.12. Gas is 2.78 a gallon. We still have not seen any shortages. These are at a local grocery store, I know we might get these items cheaper at Walmart, but they put two of our smaller grocery stores out of business so I try not to shop at Walmart. I like supporting local businesses when I can.
I would stay away from anything boneless. . Do fake meats have to put it on the labels? IDK Just know that they can't replicate bones, yet.

Boneless chicken breast here is about $2.96- $3.98 lb. At Wally, rib eye about $15- $18.97 lb.(if angus). the Great Value (walmart) brand of canned whole kernel corn, peas, or green beans is .64 cent can ( 6+ months ago you get for .50 ea.), $3.02 gallon of milk, eggs have dropped..you can get 18 large now, $1.98, or $1.50 extra large dozen, but I never buy eggs.

Not seeing shortages of anything right now on shelves.

Good tip on the bone id's danil!

Make sure not to plant near walnut or hickory trees
only trees near them were cedar ,,,,,,,,,,,,, one year I had the prettiest plant you ever saw , loaded with blooms,,,,,,,,,,, not one tomato ,, the last few years I just don't see the point of trying, when the local grocery store is not that far away ,,,

Boneless chicken breast here is about $2.96- $3.98 lb. At Wally, rib eye about $15- $18.97 lb.(if angus). the Great Value (walmart) brand of canned whole kernel corn, peas, or green beans is .64 cent can ( 6+ months ago you get for .50 ea.), $3.02 gallon of milk, eggs have dropped..you can get 18 large now, $1.98, or $1.50 extra large dozen, but I never buy eggs.

Not seeing shortages of anything right now on shelves.

Good tip on the bone id's danil!
I am seeing some shortages but I put it off to this area, it is a smaller Walmart in a much smaller marketing area,,,, plus when something does not sell well, it will be replaced with another product

Back