Garden 2024!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We laid out news paper & poured the beans/peas out on the paper covered wood floor, so the beans would not go though a heat & spoil.
It was like sitting around a camp fire without the heat.

Pulled all of the spent green bean plants. Replanted the planters with more green beans, carrots, spinach and kohlrabi.

I’m thinking of replacing the plastic greenhouse with a polycarbonate one. Only thing I’m hesitant about is if they are able to be disassembled for moving.

Just a light after work picking operation.
IMG_3615.jpeg

Almost time to stop the humming bird feeders. I’ve noticed fewer the last few days. They need to start heading south.
I had droves of Hummers last week....NONE in the last two days!!? We are supposed to have an early, snowy winter ( so says Pearl)!! Had some Tufted Titmouse birds today... winter birds down here! 🤔

@Neb and others....field report so far from growing out bushes from cuttings...they have done far better than any cuttings i tried before. i have both red/black currants and then marge elderberry. the reds grew the least and struggled and took more tlc....but they all were tall and lush and last few weeks they been dropping leaves and i notice the green stem is turning to brown woody stuff with nodes on it. i think i am going to be able to harvest enough cutting to do another batch this winter and set these out in the permanent locations to grow out.

pretty excited about this since cost of these as plants are so high.

The backyard peas have started. I see fresh peas, okra, corn from the freezer and cornbread coming to the table tomorrow evening. The field peas got an inch of rain last night and that is more than they have had in total since planting. I did not notice it when I took the pic but something tested out the lower strand of the fence between the time I moved the charger yesterday ( needed better alignment with the sun) and this afternoon. As I was driving around it, I noticed the wire as I ran over it. The spring loaded handle is what came off, so it was easy enough to fix. I'd like to plow them but don't really want to mess with the fence so it may just be a race between the peas and the weeds ;)

Attachments

• IMG_6308.JPG
    IMG_6308.JPG
    399 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6309.JPG
    IMG_6309.JPG
    617.1 KB · Views: 0
Long Season here :

Attachments

• Sept072024 002.jpg
    Sept072024 002.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Sept072024 003.jpg
    Sept072024 003.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Sept072024 004.jpg
    Sept072024 004.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Sept072024 005.jpg
    Sept072024 005.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Sept072024 006.jpg
    Sept072024 006.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Sept072024 007.jpg
    Sept072024 007.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Sept072024 008.jpg
    Sept072024 008.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Backyard still Alive :

Royal poinciana(Red)... Yellow poinciana... hibby with 2 dif colors what's left...

Attachments

• Sept072024 009.jpg
    Sept072024 009.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Sept072024 010.jpg
    Sept072024 010.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Sept072024 011.jpg
    Sept072024 011.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Sept072024 012.jpg
    Sept072024 012.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I had droves of Hummers last week....NONE in the last two days!!? We are supposed to have an early, snowy winter ( so says Pearl)!! Had some Tufted Titmouse birds today... winter birds down here! 🤔
Just saw this. My feeders are down and hummers are gone.

Just now getting peppers 🌶️. Tons of green tomatoes 🍅- will see what happens. I planted 2 varieties of corn 🌽. 1 did well and the other, I had 1 plant that sprouted and grew. Beans are just blooming on the bush beans. On the scarlet runners, they’ve been blooming all summer but are just now putting on beans.
Weird year. Glad I’m not really depending on what I’m growing this year.

That is what drives me to grow and try as many fruit and vegetables as possible now. We do not need it now so I have the luxury of failing. That may not always be the case.

Every failure is a lesson learned.

Ben

Just now getting peppers 🌶️. Tons of green tomatoes 🍅- will see what happens. I planted 2 varieties of corn 🌽. 1 did well and the other, I had 1 plant that sprouted and grew. Beans are just blooming on the bush beans. On the scarlet runners, they’ve been blooming all summer but are just now putting on beans.
You just needed some Texas weather!

boyhowdy...i am getting weedy garden beat down and got a glimpse into my apple tree seedling section...i see some things i like....cant wait to get it cleaned up enough to get a good look at it. one cultivar i was worried about after rabbit damage might have grown 3 feet.

i am going to have scion wood to do more grafting at end of winter too.

the apples i started from seeds started off great and then cedar rust hit them so hard over and over...i about give up on them. But i kept them all watered etc. and finally cedar rust got done culling out the weak and ones left grew and are now turning woody on green stems. i have high hopes for some of these.

the apples i started from seeds started off great and then cedar rust hit them so hard over and over...i about give up on them. But i kept them all watered etc. and finally cedar rust got done culling out the weak and ones left grew and are now turning woody on green stems. i have high hopes for some of these.
All of my grafts have dropped their leaves.

Not sure why. Dry conditions ?

Ben

All of my grafts have dropped their leaves.

Not sure why. Dry conditions ?

Ben
maybe...i have some smaller ones done the same but seem to be still alive....others are still growing and deep dark green leaves.

heads up folks...just got email yesterday from FEDCO saying the tree ordering season is now open for 2025.....get stuff you want ordered early while they have plenty of supplies and if you want to get stuff shipped early and not the late order stuff.

scion wood,root stock ,trees and more....!

How old are the seedling apples? Super cool you did that!

How old are the seedling apples? Super cool you did that!
The ones i am referring to i started from seed this spring.Some are from the skillcult project by Steven Edholm in California where he is breeding new apple varieties based on Albert Etters old cultivars and more. The rest are from me saving seed myself and doing basically same thing he has done but with tougher varieties for my area.

I am 100% amateur but i believe these red fleshed apples just dont fight cedar rust as well as other cultivars. Seems others are thinking that way to and breeding red fleshed with tougher cultivars to get seed.

Skillcult collects pollen to hand pollinate and bag your blooms for thise doing that.That is way over my head right there plus my orchard is very young and not producing apples yet.

https://skillcult.com/blog

https://www.youtube.com/@SkillCult

another place is farmer that came up with the lucy glo and lucy rose apples

i plan on doing a thread at end of year...fall time....showing what i done and results etc.

For anyone doesnt know it Legg Creek Farms is a sponsor for our forum and has fruit trees,nut trees and much more available.They have some native fruits to.They are based in Texas and geared towards us southern folks. Check them out below...

https://leggcreekfarm.com/

Last edited:
Back