Garden 2024!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally seeing some movement on my courgettes/zuchinni's, harvested one yesterday. Trying a new yellow variety this year. Don't have a pumpkin at all.
Turnips doing well, and probably could be lifted, but not sure on storage as I need husband to shift some things to make room for a place. Pulling carrots as I need them.

Our neighbor who is older than us and lost her husband a couple of years back has been clearing a bunch of his stuff.
He apparently bought a load of topsoil and she asked if we wanted it well Heck Yea!
So hubby is making me some more raised "beds" out of plastic barrels cut in half horizontally. Like this picture:
View attachment 159740
He's using this as an example.
He's getting some more barrels that came from a car wash that had detergent in them.
So we'll be power washing them
Once he gets them finished and set up I'll take some pictures and post them
It one time I had all the food grade drums I could haul for free. I thought of cutting them vertically, but thought they are not deep enough for tomatoes, so I made fifteen gallon pots out of them. So I look forward to your success with your vegetables 🥗.

Aug162024 003.jpg

Attachments

• Aug162024 005.jpg
    Aug162024 005.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Aug162024 002.jpg
    Aug162024 002.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Aug162024 004.jpg
    Aug162024 004.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
It one time I had all the food grade drums I could haul for free. I thought of cutting them vertically, but thought they are not deep enough for tomatoes, so I made fifteen gallon pots out of them. So I look forward to your success with your vegetables 🥗.
I have two cut vertically that I use for peas.

Hubby bought the barrels and they cleaned up great.
He still has to put edging on the top. He's using the old wood from our decking we replaced.
I took these yesterday.
aug 2024 027.JPG
aug 2024 028.JPG
aug 2024 029.JPG
aug 2024 030.JPG

One week later and the peas are off to the races. Got to get the electric fence up to help keep the deer from getting all of them. Seems that they start on them earlier than they used to. Many a day have I looked at the peas and said to myself "I am picking tomorrow!" only to find them all but wiped out "tomorrow" :)

Attachments

• IMG_6199.JPG
    IMG_6199.JPG
    572.4 KB · Views: 0
Dang pretty flowers! Well, I did get the electric fence put up. I even put signs on it to warn the deer .... and peanut butter in aluminum foil wraps for those that cannot read. It is just 2 wires at 18" and 36". I am not sure if that will work in such an open spot but it works just fine in my other garden - Hercules and Clemson Purple peas making there this morning. I do not know for sure what it is putting out but it pegs my 7k volt meter.

Attachments

• IMG_6212.JPG
    IMG_6212.JPG
    599.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6214.JPG
    IMG_6214.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6205.JPG
    IMG_6205.JPG
    382.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6206.JPG
    IMG_6206.JPG
    425.6 KB · Views: 0
I didn't buy any seeds for that, weird. I wonder if they put those in a pack of broccolie seeds instead
Not sure I ever grew mustard. What can I do with it?
why eat it of course....its a green...but it can be peppery with a kick.

its not uncommon to get mustard,cabbages etc. seed in same pack as they look the same...kale too..its just a little round dot of a see.

We've been harvesting Paw Paws since we got home. Boy are they good. We got a few pears that the wife could reach. I just wasn't up to getting in them. Might get a few apples. Wife best friend is gonna come out and help us dig up the taters.
Step dad is building me a bunch of trays to put my taters and onions in to dry and store. He brought out the prototype for me to look over today. I'll get a pic and post it later

Had an awesome garden most of the spring. Now I have squash bugs that killed my cucmbers, some squash plants, and is now attacking my tomatoes. Thankfully they haven’t gotten to my peppers yet. Been trying to get rid of them bastards, but they won’t die! Just read today to use 2 Tbs Dawn to a Gallon of water and spray them. Gonna try that tomorrow once this rain finally stops. Damn…..not just for greasy ducks anymore.lol

Had an awesome garden most of the spring. Now I have squash bugs that killed my cucmbers, some squash plants, and is now attacking my tomatoes. Thankfully they haven’t gotten to my peppers yet. Been trying to get rid of them bastards, but they won’t die! Just read today to use 2 Tbs Dawn to a Gallon of water and spray them. Gonna try that tomorrow once this rain finally stops. Damn…..not just for greasy ducks anymore.lol
Never had them on my cucumbers, but the SB got on my tomatoes, the heat weakened the plants.

Weeds are taking over ... and that is kind of fine with me at this point. Kind of burnt out on harvesting for now anyways. It was a good year and the pantry is well stocked. Still, there is more to come. I think that I have found our new okra - Louisiana Green Velvet. It used to be White Velvet but the wife likes this better. I will not plant Kentucky Blue pole beans again .... gets stringy way to quick. It is a fine bean but there are much better to deal with. The pole limas are starting to bloom. They were supposed to be a red butterbean but came in mixed colors. I started to try and select them back out but they taste mighty fine as is. So the okra is getting close to 10' tall, to the left are the Hercules peas, then the pole limas and then the Clemson Purple peas. Then more weeds and some Crimson Sweet melons.

Attachments

• IMG_6220.JPG
    IMG_6220.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6221.JPG
    IMG_6221.JPG
    589 KB · Views: 0
Weeds are taking over ... and that is kind of fine with me at this point. Kind of burnt out on harvesting for now anyways. It was a good year and the pantry is well stocked. Still, there is more to come. I think that I have found our new okra - Louisiana Green Velvet. It used to be White Velvet but the wife likes this better. I will not plant Kentucky Blue pole beans again .... gets stringy way to quick. It is a fine bean but there are much better to deal with. The pole limas are starting to bloom. They were supposed to be a red butterbean but came in mixed colors. I started to try and select them back out but they taste mighty fine as is. So the okra is getting close to 10' tall, to the left are the Hercules peas, then the pole limas and then the Clemson Purple peas. Then more weeds and some Crimson Sweet melons.
What climate/growing zone are you in?

The USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map is the standard by which gardeners and growers can determine which perennial plants are most likely to thrive at a location. The map is based on the average annual extreme minimum winter temperature, displayed as 10-degree F zones and 5-degree F half zones. A broadband internet connection is recommended for the interactive GIS-based map below.

2023 USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map​

1724196763919.png

https://www.ars.usda.gov/news-event...12/usda-unveils-new-plant-hardiness-zone-map/

So the garden this year has been errr well peculiar to say the least. Between the pup, a little green house fiasco and the weather, we are lucky anything is growing. But God planted a pumpkin in the compost. I bought a small pie pumpkin last year that began growing soft before I used it so I pitched it in the compost. This is just part of it.
IMG_7470.jpeg

Latest posts

Back