How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, this was a couple of days ago. I have a cleaning program for my computer. I got an email saying that they were going up in price & if I didn't agree I could cancel the renewal. Well at almost the same time my anti virus company offered a 2 year renewal at a discounted price. But for a little bit more (also discounted) I could upgrade to their ultimate coverage which included a cleaner & no tracking software. So I upgraded & it ended up costing me less (in the long run) than I would have if I hadn't upgraded & kept the cleaner program that I had. So far (after only a few days) I'm very happy. And the new cleaner does a better job than my old one did. Lastly I get notices when someone is trying to check my location (& I am getting a lot of notices).

Alright I'm going to call this post, all that glitters is not gold. 1. A while back I posted about saving on my internet/cable/phone. Starting off I would save HUGE & then after the intro price I'd save about 100 dollars a month. Well........as salesmen do the guy lied to me. Oh sure you can keep your email address, just wait & let the office people take care of it. So I waited the "6 days" that they said & my wife took in some piece of equipment that was the old companies. (We were still paying for BOTH companies btw). Nope, you can't keep the same email address. And not only that but the "new" company couldn't seem to understand that I didn't want voice mail. I "assume" that they "assumed" that we would stay with them after the switch. Nope, we switched back in a heartbeat, they shouldn't have lied to me.

2. My wife told me (happy wife, happy life) that we needed to buy a swamp cooler for out little patio. So she checked out the local prices & picked one & told me that we could get a 10% discount by registering as retired military. So she registered for us. After registering it said something like congrats you can start enjoying your 10% discount today! Yea! So we drive up there & I go in & pick up the swamp cooler (barely fit in the basket) & it was a heavy SOB) & head to self checkout. Turns out that the discount takes 24 hours to go through the system, so put it back & return tomorrow or pay whatever the discount was today? I'm NOT going to unload that thing, leave, come back tomorrow, load it again just for a few bucks. I bought it (yes I got a raised eyebrow from my wife as if to say "you threw away money). I got her to try to lift it when we got home & she agreed that lifting it several more times wouldn't be worth the money saved. PS: We set it up today & it does lower the temp some & that's nice when it's 107 degrees.

Wasn't me, but my wife yesterday...
I wear a flannel shirt over my t-shirt year round.
I have 6 that I rotate thru every week and a couple have made 1 too many trips thru the dryer and shrunk.
The stretched out buttons make me look fat, and I am not fat.
Had been looking for a couple replacements on Amazon: $26 - $49 :oops:. (I am not a 'master shopper':().
She picked me up a couple of these from Costco and they are WONDERFUL!!😍

$9.99 !!!
image0.jpeg

image0 (2).jpeg

Mine were like the center right ones, but XL, still $9.99 .
Edit: Ladies, if your 'grumpy old man' needs a shirt, note that the sale ends 08/25/24 :oops:.

Last edited:
I went through the line at Aldi with some seasonal treats. They were pumpkin spice yogurt covered pretzels for $1.49 per bag. I had to really look at the tag b/c that seemed too low of a price. Yup, it was legit. So, I bought 4 bags. After I checked out, I read my slip before leaving or packing up my groceries. They rang up at $2.99. I went back to the shelf just to make sure I wasn't going nuts. Well, not according to the shelf. I told the cashier who refunded my $6. Apparently it was mis-marked. That is exactly why I check my receipts before leaving the store.

I also noticed some shrinkflation on some products. The acti-berry and pomegranate dark chocolates were in a much smaller bag with the same price. I'll have to compare the ounces to the last bag I bought, but the bag doesn't seem as heavy. I also noticed that cashews were a couple of bucks lower in price but the container was much smaller. When comparing it to the previous larger container, the ounces were the same. 🤔 I'm thinking they'll let that ride for a couple of months and then decrease the oz. of nuts that go into the smaller container so people don't complain.

Alright I'm going to call this post, all that glitters is not gold. 1. A while back I posted about saving on my internet/cable/phone. Starting off I would save HUGE & then after the intro price I'd save about 100 dollars a month. Well........as salesmen do the guy lied to me. Oh sure you can keep your email address, just wait & let the office people take care of it. So I waited the "6 days" that they said & my wife took in some piece of equipment that was the old companies. (We were still paying for BOTH companies btw). Nope, you can't keep the same email address. And not only that but the "new" company couldn't seem to understand that I didn't want voice mail. I "assume" that they "assumed" that we would stay with them after the switch. Nope, we switched back in a heartbeat, they shouldn't have lied to me.

2. My wife told me (happy wife, happy life) that we needed to buy a swamp cooler for out little patio. So she checked out the local prices & picked one & told me that we could get a 10% discount by registering as retired military. So she registered for us. After registering it said something like congrats you can start enjoying your 10% discount today! Yea! So we drive up there & I go in & pick up the swamp cooler (barely fit in the basket) & it was a heavy SOB) & head to self checkout. Turns out that the discount takes 24 hours to go through the system, so put it back & return tomorrow or pay whatever the discount was today? I'm NOT going to unload that thing, leave, come back tomorrow, load it again just for a few bucks. I bought it (yes I got a raised eyebrow from my wife as if to say "you threw away money). I got her to try to lift it when we got home & she agreed that lifting it several more times wouldn't be worth the money saved. PS: We set it up today & it does lower the temp some & that's nice when it's 107 degrees.
If it’s worth the money, take your receipt in next time you’re there and see if they’ll make an adjustment. When I worked retail and a customer came back for an adjustment, sometimes because the item later went on sale or for a number of reasons, the manager would ‘return’ and then ‘resell’ the item. Receipt only, no need to physically bring back item. Basic customer service. Worth trying.

I have 6 that I rotate thru every week and a couple have made 1 too many trips thru the dryer and shrunk.
Had been looking for a couple replacements on Amazon: $26 - $49 :oops:. (I am not a 'master shopper':().

$9.99 !!!
View attachment 160252

View attachment 160253
Edit: Ladies, if your 'grumpy old man' needs a shirt, note that the sale ends 08/25/24 :oops:.
My men do need shirts, but you are too far away! Next April they are heading over, might catch a sale.

Forgot to add I did save money today; I live in a region of poultry farmers, so our chicken is local. The local supermarket was doing 4 large chickens (for roasting) for €20, so I stocked up. Saved about 2/ 2.50 on each, and have a winters supply now.

If it’s worth the money, take your receipt in next time you’re there and see if they’ll make an adjustment. When I worked retail and a customer came back for an adjustment, sometimes because the item later went on sale or for a number of reasons, the manager would ‘return’ and then ‘resell’ the item. Receipt only, no need to physically bring back item. Basic customer service. Worth trying.
First off, while I was sleeping my wife called them & chewed them out. She didn't ask for the money back, just that they stop advertising something they didn't do. Me, I'm at the time & place in my life that I decide what battles that I want to fight & 50 or 60 dollars just isn't worth fighting for me. When I was young & broke, I would have fought tooth & nail over that much, but not now.

I guess that I saved money by buying good quality clothing, tools and equipment that lasts for many years. I still have some heavy Carhartt shirts and Filson boots, coats, etc that I bought over 25 years ago. My Carhartt light weight summer short sleeve shirts last at least 4 or 5 years, unless I rip them on barb wire. Some of my Carhartt pants and shorts are over 10 years old.

My wife LOVES TO SHOP to the point that other women who think they love to shop go with her & their life pass before their eyes. But every now & then she has run through all the local stores & starts going into withdrawal. When that happens I suggest that she go to thrift store to "kill time". Well one time she comes back with 3 shirts for me (2 different brands). They were obviously well made & were made with a thicker material & I really liked them. Sadly I caught one of them on a doorknob & it died. Anyway I looked at the tag & did search for the company that made/sold them. They turned out to sell for between 80 to 120 dollars each. Damn? I'm not hurting for money but paying even 80 for a single shirt I just couldn't do. But the point of the story is that sometimes you can find some really great stuff at thrift stores.

$9.99 !!!
View attachment 160252

View attachment 160253
I've bought many an item of clothing from Costco. Quality is very good, and the prices are great.

$9.99 !!!
View attachment 160252

View attachment 160253
I did the flannel thing for a while. I loved them........& then I washed them. It was like they shrunk 2 to 3 sizes. The arms were 3 inches too short. Those went to goodwill & I'll pass on flannel in the future.

My wife LOVES TO SHOP to the point that other women who think they love to shop go with her & their life pass before their eyes. But every now & then she has run through all the local stores & starts going into withdrawal. When that happens I suggest that she go to thrift store to "kill time". Well one time she comes back with 3 shirts for me (2 different brands). They were obviously well made & were made with a thicker material & I really liked them. Sadly I caught one of them on a doorknob & it died. Anyway I looked at the tag & did search for the company that made/sold them. They turned out to sell for between 80 to 120 dollars each. Damn? I'm not hurting for money but paying even 80 for a single shirt I just couldn't do. But the point of the story is that sometimes you can find some really great stuff at thrift stores.
Mind if I ask what brand?

I don't remember. Maybe if I shopped for myself & bought my own clothes, I would be familiar with brand names but I don't. I just look up into the air (when my wife is near) & say I need a couple of new "somethings" & they appear just like magic. You see my wife LOVES to shop & I hate to shop. We are a perfect couple. (wink)

Thinking back about it, I don't even think that I recognized the names of the store that sold them. I guess I'm really a low class shopper.

I don't remember. Maybe if I shopped for myself & bought my own clothes, I would be familiar with brand names but I don't. I just look up into the air (when my wife is near) & say I need a couple of new "somethings" & they appear just like magic. You see my wife LOVES to shop & I hate to shop. We are a perfect couple. (wink)

Thinking back about it, I don't even think that I recognized the names of the store that sold them. I guess I'm really a low class shopper.
I don’t like to shop either, but I do like quality. That’s why I asked - hoping to omit the search 👀

Ditto that.

I remember my shoe and hat size and that is it.

Ben

Refractometer 50% off. $10.

Limited-time deal: ALLmeter Grape Wine Refractometer Brix Alcohol Refractometer for Grape Wine Brewing Measure Sugar Content & Predict Alcohol Degree Dual Scale of 0-40% Brix & 0-25% vol Alcohol for Brewing Winemaking https://a.co/d/6Fy26gl

Used for measuring sugar content of wine and guestimating alcohol content.

We plan on making elderberry wine this week-end.

Ben

Ok, it's important to remember that when you spend money, it's not actually saving money unless it's something you have to have. So having said that I didn't "save" money on this deal. There was an auction for an expensive Swarovski bowl (that we already had). The auction was timed badly, a weekday & that was the only piece of Swarovski that they were selling. It was a rare bowl in that they only made 250 of them. Because of that I watched the auction with the idea that if it went for cheap, I'd throw a bid on it. There was only one other bidder & he bid a proxy bid & wasn't watching the auction. I won it & after paying for the auction, packing, shipping & insurance it came to around $460. You can see what I bought on Ebay, just type in Swarovski Sottsass.

Just Curious :

Latest posts

Back