How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I save the pickling liquid from the jars of pickled cucumbers I buy at the supermarket and use it in a couple of different ways.

I slice up onions and put them in jar and top it off with extra white vinegar and give it a good shake and leave it in the back of the fridge for several weeks.

I use the liquid as a ready made salad dressing.

I never, ever throw it out.
I also save the liquid from my sliced yellow peppers so that I can slice the whole ones and out them in that juice...yum!

I am cheap so I never spend money for no reason

I have no cellphone
I have no tv
When I need someone to do work for me its only the cheapest $ one
but he have to be the best deal best job/ no tax
When I get out of the house its only for grocery, hardware, fill gas,
I never go to restaurant
I always pay my bills on time meaning 2 days before due date

I have a very good mecanician that does my jobs no taxes but very low price
Same for my plumber cash no taxes

I am great with the money I have invested to provide me a return and the financial resources to live day to day. I am horrible with the money I transfer over to pay bills and buy things with. I don't piss it away, but I do forget to pay bills and make impulse purchases. Not things I don't really want or need, but things I want now.

I forgot to say I have a budget
I have files and a big book and a real paper wall calendar
I scratch it everyday and jump to the next day
I put each month things to do - things to pay

I always have plenty food dry and cans wet food
and always have cat litter boxes 49 lbs at least 6
and treats for those babies ;) for my Dog and Cats
They are my kids and my life after all

For the majority of my large purchases I go to a non tax state about 100 miles south of here. The farm supply store there has 10% off every Tuesday for old timers. So I save 6% for no tax, plus an additional 10% just for being old. We also take a large ice chest and do our major grocery shopping there.

For the majority of my large purchases I go to a non tax state about 100 miles south of here. The farm supply store there has 10% off every Tuesday for old timers. So I save 6% for no tax, plus an additional 10% just for being old. We also take a large ice chest and do our major grocery shopping there.
Thank you for mentioning the senior discount.

I should be exploiting that option but fail to ask for it.

Ben

I have had a credit card & fuel card for many years before I retired in 2008 recently i cut them up , always paid them in full each month anyway , but the monthly charges keep going up each year even if not being used, it was a waste of money , I use my debit card now , so cannot spend if i do not have enough in it , being an equal opportunity person my wife has her own card ( which pays from her own pension ), i only use that if i really need to , yes I do pay for the items bought if she remembers to ask for the money😒when her statements arrives , no I do not pay towards the monthly fees as she has not thought to ask 😂

How much Gas for that 200 mile trip...?!?

How much Gas for that 200 mile trip...?!?
It takes about 13 gallons of gas when I take my truck and, and a little more, when I take the trailer. But I never come back with less than $1500 - $2000+ worth of stuff, and sometimes way more than that.
Our local building supply store is still 120 miles RT and they don't always have what I need. We have one small grocery store (40 mile RT) in our county, and they are limited in some of the things that we like.

I have had a credit card & fuel card for many years before I retired in 2008 recently i cut them up , always paid them in full each month anyway , but the monthly charges keep going up each year even if not being used, it was a waste of money , I use my debit card now , so cannot spend if i do not have enough in it , being an equal opportunity person my wife has her own card ( which pays from her own pension ), i only use that if i really need to , yes I do pay for the items bought if she remembers to ask for the money😒when her statements arrives , no I do not pay towards the monthly fees as she has not thought to ask 😂
I do kind of the opposite of what you do. I charge everything & use cash back, no fee credit cards. I don't like debit cards because they don't have the protection of a credit card. Two different years we got $1,500 back.

I guess I saved money but mostly I eliminate a pain. I went to Dollar Tree & saw they had individual pizza containers (like the kind you use for sandwiches). I bought 5 of them & we had pizza last night. It was a lot easier to find space for those individual pizza's in the refrigerator than putting the whole pizza box in it. They worked like a charm.

I guess I saved money but mostly I eliminate a pain. I went to Dollar Tree & saw they had individual pizza containers (like the kind you use for sandwiches). I bought 5 of them & we had pizza last night. It was a lot easier to find space for those individual pizza's in the refrigerator than putting the whole pizza box in it. They worked like a charm.

So you don't just leave the box on the counter and eat out of it for 2 days like I do? Probably a good idea.

Latest posts

Back